What do you think about Thompkins?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about Thompkins?

Lakerpark wrote:
What does everyone think about Thompkins? Based on the highlights he looks like he has a nice outside shot. I see he is a 6'10 F, his shot looks so much smoother than Ryan Kelly....

I also see he played for the Clippers last season.

Could the Lakers use him? Does he have a chance?

It would be nice for the PGs to have someone to pass to who can shoot.

He's a long shot. From his college days on, he's been constantly injured and badly out of shape (at the NBA combine before he was drafted, his body fat was off the charts). The book on him has always been that he has decent skills, but he's lazy and has a terrible work ethic.

He's the kind of guy who can look decent for stretches, especially against weaker competition, but he probably lacks the mental and physical toughness to make it in the NBA.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

At Georgia, his 2-point percentages were disturbingly low and his handles/vision were at near center levels, and he came off as a mid-range binger (he barely took threes in college, but his free throw percentages were promising by size). Reasonable rebounder and steal/block combinations, but nothing all that mind-boggling when compared to the history of players his size.

IMO, watching him, he seems quite run of the mill to me. His best bet is to make those mid-range shots three point shots, and if he can get that to work he's a reasonable enough rebounder and defender to eke out some sort of offensive/defensive backup fourth big man role. But I'm not too impressed with his body of work in college, and at age 24, old habits die hard.
supermegamen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Trey Thompkins and Mbekwe earned camp invites for sure.

Things that stand out for me.

The NBA game looks too fast for Thompkins. He has a more advanced skill level in the post, but isn't as fluid executing those moves like Duncan.

Mbekwe has the wingspan and decent motor. But the dude barely gets off the floor when he jumps.

Mbakwe has already signed a contract to play in Germany next season, not sure they let him go to NBA camps. Didn't hear anything about a opt-out either so I'm guessing he's a long shot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject:

all highlights I see show him knocking down those pocket 3s... I'd think about signing him.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

supermegamen wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Trey Thompkins and Mbekwe earned camp invites for sure.

Things that stand out for me.

The NBA game looks too fast for Thompkins. He has a more advanced skill level in the post, but isn't as fluid executing those moves like Duncan.

Mbekwe has the wingspan and decent motor. But the dude barely gets off the floor when he jumps.

Mbakwe has already signed a contract to play in Germany next season, not sure they let him go to NBA camps. Didn't hear anything about a opt-out either so I'm guessing he's a long shot.

Trey Thompkins did catch my eye during summer league but I agree he didn't look fluid.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject:

I wanted him but then we signed Boozer so nah

Beaubois is the only one who, if he gets a camp invite, I would like to see make the roster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: