Ever been annoyed by "I could care less?" Weird Al Yankovic music video
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Ever been annoyed by "I could care less?" Weird Al Yankovic music video

clever guy
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ever been annoyed by "I could care less?" Weird Al Yankovic music video

shnxx wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

clever guy

I've pointed out the problem with "I could care less" and gotten dumb looks from people.

Too many rogue scholars out there.

Sometimes people are just that dumb. Better grammar won't fix it.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

brilliant
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

For years I used "I couldn't care less". Then I read an article that supported "I could care less" as appropriate so I used that phrase for a little while. Now I just couldn't care less about it... or is it could care less?
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
For years I used "I couldn't care less". Then I read an article that supported "I could care less" as appropriate so I used that phrase for a little while. Now I just couldn't care less about it... or is it could care less?

I don't see how "I could care less" is appropriate in the sentence that it most commonly used for (mistakenly).
If you could care less, that means you either care a little or you care a lot. There's is no reason why anyone should say that and mean it in its literal sense.
If you couldn't care less, it means that you care the least possible amount or you just don't care. This is the correct usage of the phrase.

And yes, I do care about the grammar. It bothers me that some English only speakers get their own grammar wrong while people with English as a second language don't.

Anyway, Good parody.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

Gotta give props to Al. He actually is a really damn good singer when singing other songs as well. Seriously legit.

Though I damn love his play on music.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Taking over the reigns. Ugh. It's reins people. That's all I got. Oh and auto correct bites but you need it for swype.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I think people get too caught up on little things when they know damn well the message that person was trying to convey. My rule is, if the erroneous message doesn't confuse me and I can understand what that person is trying to say without thinking, then I leave it alone and move on with the conversation.

Not about to annoyingly pause a conversation to correct someone like this

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject:

This one makes me want some Mexican.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
I think people get too caught up on little things when they know damn well the message that person was trying to convey. My rule is, if the erroneous message doesn't confuse me and I can understand what that person is trying to say without thinking, then I leave it alone and move on with the conversation.

Not about to annoyingly pause a conversation to correct someone like this

Spoken like a word criminal.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Incidentally, Weird Al is somehow the best and most meaningful pop artist of the last 10 years.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Good (bleep) (bleep)!

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:

His Iggy Azalea parody on the new album is money. He's still got it.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject:

This immediately became one of my favorite all-time songs.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject:

I find the misuse of "less" versus "fewer" far more annoying than the "could care less" thing.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

I don't see how "I could care less" is appropriate in the sentence that it most commonly used for (mistakenly).
If you could care less, that means you either care a little or you care a lot. There's is no reason why anyone should say that and mean it in its literal sense.
If you couldn't care less, it means that you care the least possible amount or you just don't care. This is the correct usage of the phrase.

And yes, I do care about the grammar. It bothers me that some English only speakers get their own grammar wrong while people with English as a second language don't.

Anyway, Good parody.
actually people with english as their first language get their english wrong because its all about communication. people can change the meaning of something and if enough people run with it. it doesnt matter if its in your english professors books or not. its changed in the real world.

the only reason english as a 2nd language speakers can do a better job with english at times. is because you are only seeing a very small number of those people. if you go to another country. best believe..lol.. there are tons of people who dont technically speak that language the way its supposed to be spoken per the elites. There's a pattern and it has always been there. well off people speak the best in any and every nation. they speak "properly" , why do you guys think that is?

simply put, people with less dont have the same amt of time to nitpick that an elite does. Since a have not has to do more to have a little. So at the end of the day, as long as everyone around you no exactly what you meant. does it really matter? NOPE

language was developed for the purpose of better communication. Thats it and thats all. as long as you and those around you can understand, thats all that matters. no matter what a professor tells you. now if you want a better grade... ya better write and speak like the elites. If you want the elites to think you're one of them. you better write and speak like them. When in rome...
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Anyway, Good parody.
actually people with english as their first language get their english wrong because its all about communication. people can change the meaning of something and if enough people run with it. it doesnt matter if its in your english professors books or not. its changed in the real world.

the only reason english as a 2nd language speakers can do a better job with english at times. is because you are only seeing a very small number of those people. if you go to another country. best believe..lol.. there are tons of people who dont technically speak that language the way its supposed to be spoken per the elites. There's a pattern and it has always been there. well off people speak the best in any and every nation. they speak "properly" , why do you guys think that is?

simply put, people with less dont have the same amt of time to nitpick that an elite does. Since a have not has to do more to have a little. So at the end of the day, as long as everyone around you no exactly what you meant. does it really matter? NOPE

language was developed for the purpose of better communication. Thats it and thats all. as long as you and those around you can understand, thats all that matters. no matter what a professor tells you. now if you want a better grade... ya better write and speak like the elites. If you want the elites to think you're one of them. you better write and speak like them. When in rome...

misuse of language obfuscates clear communication and causes confusion.

if you speak only one language, (many people speak more than one) the least you could do is make some effort to speak well.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

Weird Al is from the hood. Grew up on the Compton/Lynwood border behind the Compton Swapmeet.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Anyway, Good parody.

^Breathing example of what happens when people bastardize language.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Anyway, Good parody.

You mean murder the language. As in heinously, callously and with embarrassing amounts of sloppiness.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Weird Al is from the hood. Grew up on the Compton/Lynwood border behind the Compton Swapmeet.

Iirc, his parents died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their home. That's just unreal devastation. I don't know if Al has ever discussed it.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

Iirc, his parents died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their home. That's just unreal devastation. I don't know if Al has ever discussed it.

Yeah, he talked about it on Marc Maron's podcast around 1:02:00

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Anyway, Good parody.

misuse of language obfuscates clear communication and causes confusion.

if you speak only one language, (many people speak more than one) the least you could do is make some effort to speak well.
wrong. just because people speak multiple languages it doesnt mean they speak them all WELL on an elite level. so lets start there first.

#2. if you understand what a person is saying. then communication is working like its supposed to. the only time someone needs to watch what they say is when they are speaking to a person(audience) that doesnt understand what they are sayin.

i'll ask, when you heard someone say "I could care less" did you not know what they were implying? of course you did. which is why you knew they were using it incorrectly. if you didnt know what they were implying. you would not have known they were using it incorrectly. there's a way to use that and actually mean what you said. But you knew exactly what that person was saying when they used that phrase. and this is my point . just because you would LIKE people to speak on an ELITE level. doesnt mean they have to in order to communicate.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
paolomagma wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Anyway, Good parody.

You mean murder the language. As in heinously, callously and with embarrassing amounts of sloppiness.
yet both of you always know exactly what i'm saying. which makes my point. thank you very much.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The purpose of communication is to allow the exchange of information, ideas, concepts, emotions, thoughts and opinions.

Quote:
Any English that "hits the mark"

In the first place, there should be a clear understanding of the difference between "good English" and "conventional" or "standard English." Standard English is likely to be good English, but all good English is not necessarily standard English. What, then, is good English? The purpose of language being the satisfactory communication of thought and feeling, that is good English which performs this function satisfactorily. Such a definition of good English, it will be observed, is purely utilitarian and practical. It defines good English only in the terms of its activity, without reference to any theoretical and abstract conceptions of its value or significance. Whenever two minds come into satisfactory contact with each other, through the medium of language, we have then, so far as each instance taken by itself is concerned, a good use of language. The rustic with his dialect, and in his own homogeneous dialect community, realizes as much the purpose of language as the most polished speaker in the "best society" of the city. Each expresses himself satisfactorily and is understood satisfactorily, and more than this language at its best cannot do. Our definition of good English is, therefore, very simple; any English that "hits the mark" is good English. To hit the mark in the center, it must express exactly what the speaker or writer wishes to express, in such linguistic terms as will convey to the hearer or reader exactly those impressions which it is intended that he shall receive.

^^Thank you very much

Quote:
Three kinds of speech

When we come to analyze the situation a little more closely, however, we find that there are various kinds of good English, that the question of "bad English" usually arises when one kind of English is used in circumstances which require a different kind, when one has tried to hit the mark with the wrong arrow. Thus there is that form of English which is known as "popular English." This is the speech of those who, usually through limited experience and education, are unacquainted with the usage which the community in general regards as the better social custom. Sometimes, as in the poetry of Burns, it is made the vehicle for literary expression. Usually, however, it is a purely colloquial speech. Naturally, the limits of popular English are not absolutely defined, but are largely a matter of opinion. The term usually carries with it some unfavorable connotations. Popular English is the "vulgar" English of the lower classes of society. But just who these lower classes are, just the dividing line between the upper and the lower, these are matters hard to determine. A positive test of culture, outside the dogmatic opinion of individuals, has never yet been discovered. Certainly it can hardly be said that the person who has received the conventional education is, by and for that reason solely, a more highly cultivated person than one who has not.

A second kind of English is called "colloquial English." This is the speech of the commonplace concerns of daily life and of less serious conversation, a speech freer and less conscious than formal speech, but not carrying with it the suggestion of illiteracy which characterizes popular speech. The degree of colloquialism which one permits, in one's self or in others, depends on the subject of conversation, on the intimacy of the acquaintanceship of the persons speaking, and in general on all the attendant circumstances.

A third kind of English is "formal or literary English." This is the English of public speaking, of more formal conversation, and of printed and written literature. It varies widely in the degree of its formality, the style of a philosophic treatise being appropriately more formal than that of a light essay.

http://grammar.about.com/od/grammarfaq/a/GoodEngKrapp.htm
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: