Do Lakers make the playoffs with this roster?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do Lakers make the playoffs with this roster?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 63 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 78 ]
Total Votes : 141

kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Lakers make the playoffs with this roster?

Laker Lover wrote:
Lin
Nash
Marshall
Kobe
Young
Randle
Davis
Boozer
Hill
Sacre
Kelly

Hell yes! Well -minus Nash. I don't think he is good for more than 10-15 minutes a game and thats with nerve issues in his back. Nash will not beat father time.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
A few things will need to happen in order for the Lakers to make the playoffs.

1. Kobe has to return to form, doesn't have to be a 27/6/5 ppg player, but 24/5/4 while being efficient is good enough.

2. Defensively they need to be ranked in the top 15.

3. Randle has to have a huge impact his rookie year, 17/10/3.

4. Young has to win 6th man of the year.

5. Lin has to have his best season as a pro, 16/7/4 with career highs in 38% 3PT and 47% FG.

All of those things need to happen for the Lakers to make the playoffs. I could see 1 and 4 happening but the rest are unlikely.

Completely agree. A lot of things have to go right for us to make the playoffs. Most important is the defense and rebounding. That's probably our biggest weakness. Hopefully Scott will stress that.

I don't think Randle can average 17/10. I just don't see it. I see a 13/8 guy for his rookie campaign. I do think Lin can average 15/7, but he'll have to play smart and limit turnovers. He's also streaky so he needs to play consistent.

I expect another great season from Kobe 24/5/5 seems very doable for him. Swaggy will put up numbers, I just don't know if he'll beat out other 6th men from better teams.

Overall, a lot of things have to click to make us a high 40 win team to have a chance at the playoffs. Or else we'll probably end up winning 35 or so

I think once Kobe sees how good Randle is at getting his own shots he will feed him a lot in isolations, dumping in the post, and pick and rolls. I can very easily see Randle being a 16-18ppg scorer in his first year. Kobe has always been willing to feed skilled big men. And no Dwight doesn't count.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Yes.
hitmankb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
hitmankb wrote:
I'm willing to see who the coach is and how the new coaching staff will decide to use the players..

If this team plays half court ball and slows the games down, they will be in most games. I don't see this squad shooting as many 3's as last year.

Also, our bigs will have to control the boards since we won't be a good defensive team.

Pace and 3's were about the only reason we ever won a game last season. Perhaps the same will happen again but entirely in the opposite direction.

Transition D should be a back breaker as Lin and Kobe are both high turnover players who don't like to get back.
When you're a bad defensive team, you have to rebound the ball. If not the opposition will get out on the break. Pace and 3's got us into running matches which we lost. Our bigs were not mobile and couldn't consistently get back on d. Why because the guards would come down and chuck 3's, miss, then the other team would fast break the other way. We were not built to keep up with that pace for 48 min's a game. If we would have catered to Pau, Hill, and Kaman, we would have controlled more games.. No instead we catered our offense to swaggy p, meeks, and anyone else who wanted to jack up the long ball. We were an outside in, instead of an inside out team.
AllorNothing on Ron Artest
Quote:
He should be let go of his contract by the Kings to pursue a topnotch psychiatrist in LA.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject:

9th seed.
traveler
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: no

The west will feast on the centers.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I voted no, add Marion and it is a tentative yes.

I voted yes because I still have faith we will add Marion or somehow get someone better at SF.
Morgan Freeman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject:

Playoffs, here we come!
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject:

no way we make the playoffs with that roster. Just no way.
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
no way we make the playoffs with that roster. Just no way.

We've upgraded at almost every position... and I'm never counting out Kobe. With that being said, I have to agree. West is just too stacked and I don't see us getting to the high 40 wins we need to make the playoffs.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

No. Not in the Western Conference. Lakers have too many obstacles and challenges to deal with this season. New coach/staff, new system, new players, chemistry, etc...
traveler
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: yes

32 wrote:
No. Not in the Western Conference. Lakers have too many obstacles and challenges to deal with this season. New coach/staff, new system, new players, chemistry, etc...

I agree. They need to at least figure out who is going to coach.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject:

Obviously going to be tough to get to the Playoffs. 50 wins is a lot to ask of this team.

But still too many variables to absolutely say no.

- who is coaching?
- Team chemistry? Defense???
- Can Kobe be a top 5 player? Top 10? Top 20?
- SF situation?
- Nash? (possible expiring contract trade for a quality SF, please!)

I can see a way for them to earn a 7th or 8th seed. but little else.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject:

We are outsiders for sure, but if you ask me to put my money on us making the playoffs, i wont take it. That said, we have our chances, let's wait and see the impact the coach has on the team, who our Small Forwards will be and if we're going to sign a big body at the 5
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject:

No, just no. This roster still screams mediocrity. Maybe in the east where sub-500 teams can actually get to the playoffs
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject:

I don't know about playoffs (odds are unlikely), but we'll be better than expected if things break right.

No reason not to try, since Kobe isn't a tanker and there's no way the Lakers are bad enough to keep the top-5 protected pick anyway.

Strangely enough, I think there might be a very remote chance of making it. Very remote.

But there roster's not compete and there isn't even a coach yet. Saying we'll make the playoffs might be a tad putting the cart before the horse.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
They'll be lucky to win 20 games.

I sure wish you were running the sports book in Vegas when I was there yesterday, I could have made some easy money.

What in the world are you talking about?

The Lakers are a train wreck and if the Lakers are willing to put the Black Knight's health on the line to cover up for their lack of roster management skills once again, they'll truly have blood on their hands.

Kobe could average 35 ppg, 7 reb, and 6 assts and this team is still destined for the lottery. We have no primary perimiter defender and no interior defender. We have no catch and shoot 3pt shooters.

We have no coach and no identity. How in the world do you think the Lakers are going to win 40 games? If they had gotten Melo, 50 games would be the cap.

This will be a long season.

And one in which we will win at least 20 games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I think they will be in the 40 win range, but don't think that will be enough to make the playoffs.

deduct 13 wins when Kobe & Nash go down again...

I never considered Nash, and Kobe will be fine. Once again he will prove his doubters wrong.
mettaElbow
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

not at all, phoenix last season didnt make it, think about it, this laker team has no talent but old stars and unproven rookie, i say they get 30 -35 , 35 -40 if they put it together
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

Maybe in 2006 sure and maybe in the Leastern Conference.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Azarian
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

No, and I hope they don't make the playoffs.

If you have to ask, then they shouldn't be trying to. Goal should be to get a high draft pick and develop young players for the future
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

@Aza

Not as simple as that. They don't make the playoffs and don't have enough losses for a the top 5 lottery pick , the season is meaningless for the future . What you're asking is for the team to tank really bad - not going to happen with this roster, assuming few injuries... ie. FO already committed to a run at the playoff - seemingly feeble, Hence the question.
Azarian
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

No they don't have to tank to get a top 5 pick, as long as they play hard they'll end up losing majority of the games
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

hitmankb wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
hitmankb wrote:
I'm willing to see who the coach is and how the new coaching staff will decide to use the players..

If this team plays half court ball and slows the games down, they will be in most games. I don't see this squad shooting as many 3's as last year.

Also, our bigs will have to control the boards since we won't be a good defensive team.

Pace and 3's were about the only reason we ever won a game last season. Perhaps the same will happen again but entirely in the opposite direction.

Transition D should be a back breaker as Lin and Kobe are both high turnover players who don't like to get back.
When you're a bad defensive team, you have to rebound the ball. If not the opposition will get out on the break. Pace and 3's got us into running matches which we lost. Our bigs were not mobile and couldn't consistently get back on d. Why because the guards would come down and chuck 3's, miss, then the other team would fast break the other way. We were not built to keep up with that pace for 48 min's a game. If we would have catered to Pau, Hill, and Kaman, we would have controlled more games.. No instead we catered our offense to swaggy p, meeks, and anyone else who wanted to jack up the long ball. We were an outside in, instead of an inside out team.

When relatively healthy (the 10-9 period), they were good at shooting threes and the system reflected that strength. If you look as some of the games they won against superior competition it was only because of the 3 ball. Statistically they sucked or were mediocre at everything else. Even some games they lost they were surprisingly competitive in, and it nothing to do with those bigs. Pau at this stage of his career couldn't control an xbox.

Again, I want to know, what is something this team can excel at or is just being mediocre at everything the goal?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
They'll be lucky to win 20 games.

I sure wish you were running the sports book in Vegas when I was there yesterday, I could have made some easy money.

What in the world are you talking about?

The Lakers are a train wreck and if the Lakers are willing to put the Black Knight's health on the line to cover up for their lack of roster management skills once again, they'll truly have blood on their hands.

Kobe could average 35 ppg, 7 reb, and 6 assts and this team is still destined for the lottery. We have no primary perimiter defender and no interior defender. We have no catch and shoot 3pt shooters.

We have no coach and no identity. How in the world do you think the Lakers are going to win 40 games? If they had gotten Melo, 50 games would be the cap.

This will be a long season.
Put your money where your mouth is homie.

How would you propose I do that internet guy?
over/under wins like last season. Donate $$$ to LG. Simple.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: