NBA to have mid-season tourney?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: NBA to have mid-season tourney?

Interesting idea, and a way to get young 12th man players some meaningful play during the season. Just a lot of logistics to work through, but I would be in favor of something like this. I'd also like to see it somehow expanded and include Euro leagues.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2132843-nbas-in-season-tournament-idea-is-so-good-other-leagues-should-try-it-too?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t4
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject:

I think it's an awful idea. The season is already overlong and a grind. Cup competitions work in world football because there are no playoffs at the end of the season, and because the cup competitions are integrated into the schedule over the course of the season. They don't break the season for a week or two to hold a quick tournament. If it is a single elimination tournament, then some teams would tank the first game so that they could have a week of rest in the middle of the season, while the teams that made the finals would start the second half of the season worn out.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

The basis behind it is that people like watching games that are meaningful, and game 1-3 of any given playoff series, usually isn't.

It'd make the nba a lot of money, maybe enough to cut a dozen games per team out of the schedule
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject:

Extending the playoffs to include 16 teams and lengthening the first round of the playoffs from 3 to 5, then 5 to 7 is bad enough.

Actually, they need to do the opposite.

They should actually just seed the playoffs by regular season record and not by conference, take round 1 back to 5 games and give the top two RS records a bye and shorten the season by 10 games and contract.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject:

Lockout games were perfect. 66 games. Get rid of the first round of the playoffs. 4 teams in each conference. This then allows more rest for international games.

NFL is 6 months. NBA is 8 months, MLB is 7 plus. Might want to follow the NFL model.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Extending the playoffs to include 16 teams and lengthening the first round of the playoffs from 3 to 5, then 5 to 7 is bad enough.

Actually, they need to do the opposite.

They should actually just seed the playoffs by regular season record and not by conference, take round 1 back to 5 games and give the top two RS records a bye and shorten the season by 10 games and contract.

Bye's dont work in the NBA or MLB. Teams lose their juice not playing for a long period of time.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I think it's an awful idea. The season is already overlong and a grind. Cup competitions work in world football because there are no playoffs at the end of the season, and because the cup competitions are integrated into the schedule over the course of the season. They don't break the season for a week or two to hold a quick tournament. If it is a single elimination tournament, then some teams would tank the first game so that they could have a week of rest in the middle of the season, while the teams that made the finals would start the second half of the season worn out.

Yeah, I don't get this idea. If this is just a break in the regular season, some exhibition thing that doesn't affect the real playoffs, I'd expect most teams to use it as an excuse to rest their best players. I can't imagine players, fans or teams getting juiced up over the prospect of winning a little trophy for a mid season tournament. It's like asking teams to get hopped up to win the a trophy for the best pre-season record.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Yeah, I don't get this idea. If this is just a break in the regular season, some exhibition thing that doesn't affect the real playoffs, I'd expect most teams to use it as an excuse to rest their best players. I can't imagine players, fans or teams getting juiced up over the prospect of winning a little trophy for a mid season tournament. It's like asking teams to get hopped up to win the a trophy for the best pre-season record.

I like the general concept, but it does need to mean something for the teams. And the players.

e.g., the tournament winner clinches a playoff spot. So teams that are not that great would go all out because they can get into the playoffs when they may not have a chance otherwise. Just a thought, maybe not a good one.

Alternatively ... make it every 2 years, but make it global. Like the UEFA Champions Cup -- an international club team competition. But maybe the non-playoff teams from the season before play in the tournament.

Or, boiling it down to the essentials ... players on the winning team get $1 million each.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

That article must have been written by a fan of a team that never wins anything.

"More trophies for everyone!"

"Middle-of-the-pack teams have a fighting chance to win something!"

"Younger and less talented teams get a chance to play against equivalent rosters!"

"Top contenders for the NBA title aren't going to put their best teams on the court until they get very deep into the event, if at all!"

Is this a joke? As a fan, I want to watch the best teams play. I don't want to watch mediocre teams or scrubs battle it out for meaningless trophies. They should call it the losers tournament. Eventually, we might hear a stat about how the winner of the tournament never wins the NBA championship.

Last edited by Steve007 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the league would fine teams that try to play their bench because they don't care about the tournament. Or maybe the punishment would be even harsher.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject:

This actually sounds pretty cool.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I like the general concept, but it does need to mean something for the teams. And the players.

e.g., the tournament winner clinches a playoff spot. So teams that are not that great would go all out because they can get into the playoffs when they may not have a chance otherwise. Just a thought, maybe not a good one.

Alternatively ... make it every 2 years, but make it global. Like the UEFA Champions Cup -- an international club team competition. But maybe the non-playoff teams from the season before play in the tournament.

Or, boiling it down to the essentials ... players on the winning team get $1 million each.

Your tournament round is the first tie breaker, that'd do it. The idea behind it is like the NCAA, NFL, etc, people tune in to watch winner takes all games.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject:

If the NBA is really going to do it, here is the format I would suggest. This is similar to the FA Cup and other Euro domestic cup competitions (except for the seeding).

Round 1: The bracket is seeded based on the previous season's records. The previous season's finalists get a bye. The remaining 28 teams play, which means 14 games. 7 games are played on Christmas Eve, with the rest on Christmas Day. The highest seed is the host.

Round 2: Eight games, played on the MLK holiday.

Quarterfinals: Four games, played either right before or right after the all-star break in February.

Semifinals and Final: Played over a weekend at a central location in March, ala the Finar Four. This would be the weekend before the college conference championship games.

Trades: A player who is traded is eligible for his new team, even if he played in the tournament for another team. Yes, teams that make the semis could trade for a player to help them.

Bonus: The Finalists are guaranteed at least a #8 seed in the playoffs, regardless of record. The winner is guaranteed at least a #4 seed in the playoffs, regardless of record.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject:

Black Salt wrote:
Lockout games were perfect. 66 games. Get rid of the first round of the playoffs. 4 teams in each conference. This then allows more rest for international games.

NFL is 6 months. NBA is 8 months, MLB is 7 plus. Might want to follow the NFL model.

As long as they don't force back-to-back-to-back schedules like 2011-12, 66 games would be interesting.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:
Black Salt wrote:

As long as they don't force back-to-back-to-back schedules like 2011-12, 66 games would be interesting.

Now all you need to do is convince the players to take less money
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

I'm not thrilled with this idea either but I'd rather see something like the 8 and 9 seeds battling it out for the final playoff spot, similar to how college does it with 16 seeds battling it out to play the 1 seed. But this could lead to uglier first round matchups with a 1 seed playing a 9 seed.

I do think this idea is much better than the idea the article was talking about.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:
Black Salt wrote:

4 1/2 months of the regular season, average of 15 games a month. And then 6 weeks of playoffs which would total 6 months. That's a perfect timetable. And it also allows more rest for the top players to play for the USA teams in the world championships, Olympics, etc.

If they took out 16 games, it would mean 240 less regular season games. For playoffs, between 32-56 games in the first round.

Does anyone know what the average take per NBA game is? And than the average take for a playoff game?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: