Lakers waive Kendall Marshall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRocc88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Marshall picked up by Bucks off waivers, in case anybody cares.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:

JRocc88 wrote:

I will wish the kid well....
jjww28
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
lalakersfan88 wrote:
Xavier Henry just signed a 1 year minimum deal with the Lakers.

So, who will get to wear #7 jersey next year? incumbent Henry or newcomer Lin?

I have a feeling Lin may ask for #7 and Henry will wear another number.

I like Jeremy Lin, but he hasn't exactly done a whole lot in his career to commandeer a jersey number, especially when he was conceding 4th quarter minutes to Patrick Beverly. I'd be prone to tell Lin, if you want a number, earn it.

" conceding 4th quarter minutes to Patrick Beverly"

false, Lin played the most of 4th quarter mins than anyone in rockets (Harden inclued), go check Lin's 4th quarter and clutch time stats at nba.com, you will be surpirsed.

Last edited by jjww28 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

JRocc88 wrote:

At least he gets to play with Jabari Parker and the Greek Freak. Good luck to him despite the haters I liked him as a backup. He's got J. Kidd there as a coach, good place for the guy.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject:

he shouldnt have been knocking at the melo pitch.

Good luck Marshall.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject:

So,... Toga?
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject:

thetruthteller wrote:
Smel Counts wrote:
Purp&Gold wrote:
have a feeling knicks will pick him up

Marshall's the all-time anti-triangle 1.

Really ?..based on what ?...his 40 % 3Pt shooting ? Or the fact that on a Laker team full of scrubs, Marshall had a 3 1/2 to 1 assist to TO % ??/

What Clueless Morons here!!

Kendall Marshall is not a good player. He's only in conversation because of some generously padded stats last season. He was extremely fortunate (actually damn lucky) to get a roster spot on the Lakers thanks to their injury decimated roster.

The turnover to assist ratio is probably the most meaningless stat in basketball because it has zero value in assessing the effectiveness of overall team play or even the player's performance for that matter. In Marshall's case, he accumulated many of those assists because a high volume of the Lakers' points last year were conceded shots because they were out of games by halftime.

He had a remarkable number of assists, but give credit where credit is due - most of his assists went to Meeks who simply shadowed him waiting for the kick out.

Marshall was not a court general, he didn't run an effective pick and roll, all he did was swing the ball over the any of 2-3 Lakers camped out on the 3 point line. He probably had more spot up assists on long range jump shots than other PG in the league.

Furthermore, the guy can't run pick and roll very well. According to Synergy, he converts 29% of those PNR opportunities into scores. By contrast, Lin and Nash are at 40%. With Hill, Boozer, Randle, and Sacre looking to get fed off screen roll, Marshall's inability to run it made him expendable.

Let's talk about Marshall's so-called 40% 3 point shooting. Half of the LG's legitimate ballers could probably make 50% of their spot up 3's unguarded. That's exactly what Marshall did for the first 2 months as a Laker, largely because he had a reputation that he couldn't shoot. So teams decided to guard him. His 3FG% ended up looking like this:

Code:

Dec 55.6% on  9 attempts
Jan 44.1% on 68 attempts
Feb 43.2% on 37 attempts
Mar 29.4% on 34 attempts
Apr 33.3% on 30 attempts

Early on, teams were playing off Marshall, doubling on everyone else, but were getting burned by Marshall's gawd awful looking face level shot put. So they made the decision not to treat him like the D-Leaguer he was and instead put a body on him, and the rest is history.

What else can I say about Kendall Marshall?

He's too slow to start a fast break, he can't get out on transition, he can't accelerate the pace of the game. He can't go right. He's a horrific defender.

This team isn't going anywhere. If the last guy on the roster is a #4 PG, I have no problems if we take a flyer on Kane to go with Lin, Nash, and Clarkson. Marshall is not a jigsaw puzzle piece, at least not for this Laker puzzle.

The clueless morons rest our case.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
thetruthteller wrote:
Smel Counts wrote:
Purp&Gold wrote:
have a feeling knicks will pick him up

Marshall's the all-time anti-triangle 1.

Really ?..based on what ?...his 40 % 3Pt shooting ? Or the fact that on a Laker team full of scrubs, Marshall had a 3 1/2 to 1 assist to TO % ??/

What Clueless Morons here!!

Kendall Marshall is not a good player. He's only in conversation because of some generously padded stats last season. He was extremely fortunate (actually damn lucky) to get a roster spot on the Lakers thanks to their injury decimated roster.

The turnover to assist ratio is probably the most meaningless stat in basketball because it has zero value in assessing the effectiveness of overall team play or even the player's performance for that matter. In Marshall's case, he accumulated many of those assists because a high volume of the Lakers' points last year were conceded shots because they were out of games by halftime.

He had a remarkable number of assists, but give credit where credit is due - most of his assists went to Meeks who simply shadowed him waiting for the kick out.

Marshall was not a court general, he didn't run an effective pick and roll, all he did was swing the ball over the any of 2-3 Lakers camped out on the 3 point line. He probably had more spot up assists on long range jump shots than other PG in the league.

Furthermore, the guy can't run pick and roll very well. According to Synergy, he converts 29% of those PNR opportunities into scores. By contrast, Lin and Nash are at 40%. With Hill, Boozer, Randle, and Sacre looking to get fed off screen roll, Marshall's inability to run it made him expendable.

Let's talk about Marshall's so-called 40% 3 point shooting. Half of the LG's legitimate ballers could probably make 50% of their spot up 3's unguarded. That's exactly what Marshall did for the first 2 months as a Laker, largely because he had a reputation that he couldn't shoot. So teams decided to guard him. His 3FG% ended up looking like this:

Code:

Dec 55.6% on  9 attempts
Jan 44.1% on 68 attempts
Feb 43.2% on 37 attempts
Mar 29.4% on 34 attempts
Apr 33.3% on 30 attempts

Early on, teams were playing off Marshall, doubling on everyone else, but were getting burned by Marshall's gawd awful looking face level shot put. So they made the decision not to treat him like the D-Leaguer he was and instead put a body on him, and the rest is history.

What else can I say about Kendall Marshall?

He's too slow to start a fast break, he can't get out on transition, he can't accelerate the pace of the game. He can't go right. He's a horrific defender.

This team isn't going anywhere. If the last guy on the roster is a #4 PG, I have no problems if we take a flyer on Kane to go with Lin, Nash, and Clarkson. Marshall is not a jigsaw puzzle piece, at least not for this Laker puzzle.

The clueless morons rest our case.

Huge NO NO!!
You deserve a vacation!!
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

jjww28 wrote:
misterioso wrote:
lalakersfan88 wrote:

I like Jeremy Lin, but he hasn't exactly done a whole lot in his career to commandeer a jersey number, especially when he was conceding 4th quarter minutes to Patrick Beverly. I'd be prone to tell Lin, if you want a number, earn it.

false, Lin played the most of 4th quarter mins than anyone in rockets (Harden inclued), go check Lin's 4th quarter and clutch time stats at nba.com, you will be surpirsed.

I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time nor the last. I could swear Patrick Beverly was in the lineup at the start of each of those OT games against the Blazers during the playoffs. If Lin was in there, he must have been guarding Mathews because I know McHale had Beverly on Liliard most of the series.

I'll check it out later tonight - hopefully I can find some clips of those games on the internet. I need to see some Jeremy Lin defense and what there is of it.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:
The guy looked horrible in summer league game yesterday against the 76'ers. I'm not surprised.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Kendall going to Milwaukee....

Good for him and the Bucks.

-He stills gets to continue his NBA career and not to forget play alongside Jabari Parker, Larry Sanders under one of the greatest point guards of all time in Jason Kidd the new head coach over there.

-He's only 12 hours driving distance away from his family and hometown of Virginia.

Wouldn't doubt it at all that KButter has a big smile right now as he heads out to the Midwest.

Best of Luck KButter! And thanks for your services in the P&G Armor.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:

Huge NO NO!!
You deserve a vacation!!

He was responding to thetruthteller who used that line and who has already been tossed by mods for repeatedly causing problems.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

misterioso, bingo. That's the perfect post.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Divac will be pleased; good luck #K-BUTTER-5.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Best of luck to K. Marshall. Appreciate him filling in last season.
jjww28
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
jjww28 wrote:
misterioso wrote:
lalakersfan88 wrote:

I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time nor the last. I could swear Patrick Beverly was in the lineup at the start of each of those OT games against the Blazers during the playoffs. If Lin was in there, he must have been guarding Mathews because I know McHale had Beverly on Liliard most of the series.

I'll check it out later tonight - hopefully I can find some clips of those games on the internet. I need to see some Jeremy Lin defense and what there is of it.

the only OT time Lin didn't play major minutes is Game 4, which they lost.
Lin is 2nd option (11 pts) in rocket's back-court during clutch time, Parsons(2 pts) and Beverley(0 pts) are non-factor on clutch time offense.

rocket playoff clutch stats
http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerClutch.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&filters=TeamAbbr*E*HOU&sortField=PTS&sortOrder=DES
regular season clutch stats
http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerClutch.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&filters=TeamAbbr*E*HOU&sortField=PTS&sortOrder=DES&SeasonType=Regular%20Season
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I think Marshall is underrated on this board. A guy who averages 9 assists a game has a place in this league as at least a backup. Good pickup by Milwaukee and good luck Marshall
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:
I think Marshall is underrated on this board. A guy who averages 9 assists a game has a place in this league as at least a backup. Good pickup by Milwaukee and good luck Marshall

Hope he does well but he isn't good enough for the lakers. Rather try some one new and see if they can develop into something.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:

Huge NO NO!!
You deserve a vacation!!

He was responding to thetruthteller who used that line and who has already been tossed by mods for repeatedly causing problems.

Oops....sorry then. I missed that. Thanks for explaining that for me.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I defended Marshall here last season but us getting Lin and seeing Clarkson play in SL (along with Marshall's awful play alongside him in SL) changed my mind. We have better use/need for his roster spot.
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:

I agree with you 100%. Marshall averaged 8ppg/9apg at age 22. He played surprisingly well through a large portion of the season until DAntoni started playing Nash and messing with Marshall's minutes.

Do yourselves a favor and check out Steve Nash's numbers through the first 2-4 years of his career. Marshall put up better numbers and his jumper will come in time.

The Lakers have been so shortsighted. It often takes a PG a little longer to figure the position out. If any Laker team had time to develop talent, its this one. I think the Lakers will regret letting Marshall go. Good luck in Milwaukee.
KobePau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Marshall for sure has a future in this league. He still has great floor vision that many young point guards lack and can't develop. Being that he is only 22 he has a lot more to develop, but still lacks the defensive prowess the lakers need to complement their other guards. . He is pretty much a poor mans Jason Kidd without the rebounding and defensive skills. I see this minor blow to our immediate success but rather a loss in a potential future asset.
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I just checked Marshalls stats last year vs. Jeremy Lins. I am concerned that the organization and a lot of the fan base are superficial. True, Lin is the bigger name. But who is better for this team to keep? Really, check the stats last year. Check the minutes played. Furthermore, check who was playing with better players. I would argue that a guy like Marshall would have better even better numbers playing with better players in Houston than what he had to work with in L.A.

KobePau was right, cutting Marshall isnt going to make us or break us this year. But in the very near future, I see Marshall becomming an asset. Potentially a very big asset. A lottery talent PG who put up relatively good numbers in a very unstable situation should not be cut in the manner he was cut.
Kendall Marshall
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Dang, Marshall maybe gone forever but I'm here to stay, just enjoy Lakers basketball too much to leave for one of my favorite players.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Kendall Marshall wrote:
Dang, Marshall maybe gone forever but I'm here to stay, just enjoy Lakers basketball too much to leave for one of my favorite players.

You can ask the mods to change your user name
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Jump to: