Julius Randle's chances for Rookie of the Year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Julius Randle's chances for Rookie of the Year

ESPN panel including Bill Simmons, Jamelle Hill, Michelle Beal, and others have picked this seasons Rookie of the Year to either be between Jabari Parker and Julius Randle, even Bill Simmons chose Randle over Parker and even his own Marcus Smart, however this was before the Carlos Boozer signing when analysts had Randle as the primary starting PF for the Lakers.

Indication from Mitch's last presser indicates Randle will likely be brought in much more slowly and Boozer may be starting and getting a bulk of the mins, so does Randle still have a good shot at winning ROY?
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

No chance because Lakers and Kobe thinks they can barely squeeze to the 8th seed in the playoffs and give Boozer the start and a bulk of the mins at PF, rather than developing their younger talent earlier on.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I think Randle will win as long as he gets around 25-30 minutes a game.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
No chance because Lakers and Kobe thinks they can barely squeeze to the 8th seed in the playoffs and give Boozer the start and a bulk of the mins at PF, rather than developing their younger talent earlier on.

You are on crack if you think Randle isnt starting. And if the head coach is on crack, than that coach needs to be thrown in the fire. If you are gonna play the game of rebuilding, you better play you damn lottery pick.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Randle needs to start and play 32+ mpg. But that will be pretty much impossible with the glut of other PFs on the roster. I presume Hill and Davis will play C exclusively, but that still leaves Randle, Boozer, and Kelly to split the 48 PF minutes. If Randle plays 32, that would only leave 16 to split between Boozer and Kelly.

It will be interesting to see how the PF rotation shakes out. I doubt Randle will see enough minutes to contend for ROY. I expect Noel or Parker to win the award.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject:

He's in the lead right now. He is currently tied for the lead in all major categories. Leading in turnovers might affect his voting, but I don't see why he shouldn't win this thing
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle's chances for Rookie of the Year

Iron Mamba wrote:
ESPN panel including Bill Simmons, Jamelle Hill, Michelle Beal, and others have picked this seasons Rookie of the Year to either be between Jabari Parker and Julius Randle, even Bill Simmons chose Randle over Parker and even his own Marcus Smart, however this was before the Carlos Boozer signing when analysts had Randle as the primary starting PF for the Lakers.

Indication from Mitch's last presser indicates Randle will likely be brought in much more slowly and Boozer may be starting and getting a bulk of the mins, so does Randle still have a good shot at winning ROY?

I don't care either way.I can't get worked up about the notion of a guy winning Rookie of the Year primarily because the team sucks, it has no front court depth, and as a result of those two things he getS a lot of minutes
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Yes, because we know it is always either/or. Impossible for them to win and develop a young player.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle's chances for Rookie of the Year

activeverb wrote:
Iron Mamba wrote:

I don't care either way.I can't get worked up about the notion of a guy winning Rookie of the Year primarily because the team sucks, it has no front court depth, and as a result of those two things he getS a lot of minutes
The Lakers actually have a ton of FC depth.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Black Salt wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

You are on crack if you think Randle isnt starting. And if the head coach is on crack, than that coach needs to be thrown in the fire. If you are gonna play the game of rebuilding, you better play you damn lottery pick.

So you are saying that LO has no shot at the head coach job?
shove-orange
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I think jabari parker runs away with it this year. The bucks have no primary scorer and I think if he were given free reign at duke he would have dropped 25+PPG in college. As for Randle I think his chances are slim to none. That doesn't mean I don't think he can't become a superstar, I don't exactly see him hitting the ground running. I also see boozer getting a bulk of the minutes at the 4 to start. Once Randle adjust to the NBA length and develops more skill I see him breaking out towards the latter portion of the season when he gets more minutes. That is unless someone gets injured and with boozer being older and hill's history that is bound to happen. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him having a great rookie season on paper but his potential will shine.
Axshun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Hmm.. I think the best way for Randle to develop would be to start the games so he can have a leader on the floor in Kobe to help ease the transition into the pros. It'll take the pressure off of Randle since all the focus would be on Kobe.

Plus, Boozer just plain sucks. Nice piece off the bench but with the pf's we're going to have to go through this year, Boozer can't hang, so why not start a more athletic and quicker player to keep up with the Jones's?

Last edited by Axshun on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

His chances with this team, are slim.

Potential Roadblocks
- Kobe (primary ball handler, high usage rate, volume shooter)
- Lin (needs ball to be effective)
- Carlos Boozer/Ryan Kelly

Where the Boozer/Kelly issue really comes in to play, is when Randle struggles. In Milwaukee, Parker will have to play through his struggles. That will only increase his statistical output AND teach him how to get out of funks.

Randle will ride the bench if he goes cold, struggles, his the rookie wall, etc.

Basically, Randle has a shorter leash, much shorter than Parker, so, it's not a function of talent, but lack of opportunity.

Last edited by ringfinger on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Jabari and Noel (if he can get healthy) have a strong shot at it. Noel will be a defensive monster and might average a double double. Jabari will be in the conversation because he'll be putting up points on a team that desperately needs offense and will be looking to him to score. I'd keep an eye out on Elfrid Payton and Doug McDermott as two other dark horses. I'd say Randle is #3 on my board behind Jabari and Noel (if healthy).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:

So your saying Randle won't win rookie of the year.

This is a contract year for boozer. He's gonna get his minutes and he'll deserve them. I expect him to be our 2nd leading scorer by seasons end (barring linsanity). Randle will be stuck as a backup. Tough to win under the circumstances.

If your think Randle will beat out Hill for a starting spot, I disagree. Hill is trade bait or a breakout player. Either way, we're gonna start the one power forward were paying 9 mill.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

If Healthy, noels Nerlen will win it going away. He's going to get plenty of minutes on a young team with one more year left in Tank Purgatory. He and MCW will form a great young dynamic duo as Philly attempts to emulate OKC's eastern conference version of "Really Good But Not Good enough".
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
meows a lot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject:

way too early to predict. there's always some sleepers that show up
what's the same instead of
always looking at what's different,

...well, who knows?”

- Meowth
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

It's Jabari's award to lose. I had Randle pegged in the top 3, but now with Boozer on the team, I'm not so sure. I still think he'll be, at least, top 5 in the voting.

Kiss my Converse.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I believe he has a 1/7 chance
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

It's crazy to expect Randle to play the 30+ MPG for the entire year; it's more likely than not that he will hit the rookie wall. At that point, we'll be glad they grabbed Boozer.
Fo11ower91
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

He has no chance. Not enough minutes for him to do it because of our deep front court of Boozer, Davis, Kelly, and Hill. All of them will take some of his rookie minutes.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

This is a contract year for boozer. He's gonna get his minutes and he'll deserve them. I expect him to be our 2nd leading scorer by seasons end (barring linsanity). Randle will be stuck as a backup. Tough to win under the circumstances.

If your think Randle will beat out Hill for a starting spot, I disagree. Hill is trade bait or a breakout player. Either way, we're gonna start the one power forward were paying 9 mill.

What matters the most is your production on the court. If Randle is producing more than boozer whether defensively or offensively on the court than I can easily see Randle getting his minutes. Contract year for boozer doesn't mean anything if Randle is outplaying him.
Fo11ower91
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

What matters the most is your production on the court. If Randle is producing more than boozer whether defensively or offensively on the court than I can easily see Randle getting his minutes. Contract year for boozer doesn't mean anything if Randle is outplaying him.
You're underrating Boozer. He is far superior than rookie Randle on both ends of the court.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Fo11ower91 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

You're underrating Boozer. He is far superior than rookie Randle on both ends of the court.

Far superior on both ends of the court? I think you are the one overrating boozer. It's not like I said it's a guarantee that Randle will outproduce boozer either. All I said was that production matters and either way Randle hasn't played a single minute of a nba game yet. It is possible for Randle to outplay Boozer.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are one of the few teams that actually develop and groom their prospects. They restrict their minutes and allow them to develop without the cities lofty expectations stunting their growth. Randle will most likely come off the bench until he gets a feel for the game and learns under boozer and next year he will be ready to take on a larger role clarkson will most likely only get spot minutes as he is groomed under Nash and Kobe.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: