Disappointing News: Tony Dungy is a Spineless Tool
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Disappointing News: Tony Dungy is a Spineless Tool

And here I was, thinking he was a decent dude. But in reality he's at best a spineless tool who is too afraid to do the right thing because it may prove inconvenient:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tony-dungy-michael-same-20140721-story.html[url=http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tony-dungy-michael-same-20140721-story.html

Eff you Tony Dungy. Hopefully NBC cans your ass.

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject:

There's something wrong with your link.

But yeah, I heard about this today. Really disappointing. I also heard that he was very vocal about reintegrating Michael Vick after what he did, which of course was a much bigger distraction.

All social change is a distraction to the status quo. But so what? If the cause is just, let the bigots be distracted. He just doesn't seem to get it, which is, of course, the consequence of taking the Good Old Book too seriously, even if he denies it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

It's a double link with a URL code in it.

Yes, I was disappointed that Dungy said that. I suspect that a lot of football people would (and did) think the same way, but they had the good sense to keep their thoughts to themselves.
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tony-dungy-michael-same-20140721-story.html

Helping out Mule here with a clean-up of the initial link he posted. Click above and story should show up now.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

When I read this earlier I was pretty disappointed... Thought he was a good hearted man but I am wrong.

Really creepy of him to do that to the young man but I am glad he exposed to us all how heartless he really is.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
There's something wrong with your link.

But yeah, I heard about this today. Really disappointing. I also heard that he was very vocal about reintegrating Michael Vick after what he did, which of course was a much bigger distraction.

All social change is a distraction to the status quo. But so what? If the cause is just, let the bigots be distracted. He just doesn't seem to get it, which is, of course, the consequence of taking the Good Old Book too seriously, even if he denies it.

Thanks Wilt. I think it's fixed now.

He's clearly an example of someone who believes fairness and forgiveness is great, until it involves a group you find offensive, then all bets are off. Convenient acceptance isn't acceptance at all.

Thanks for reminding me of another reason he's not worthy of any respect.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Brandon98 wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tony-dungy-michael-same-20140721-story.html

Helping out Mule here with a clean-up of the initial link he posted. Click above and story should show up now.

Thanks man.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject:

A "distraction" in a league where every off season guys are beating their GF/wives or getting DUIs or any number of shenanigans?

!...
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Even more disappointing, Dungy supported Vick getting a second chance back in the NFL after he was released from prison for the dogfighting incidents.

So apparently the player notorious for murdering helpless animals and gambling on it would be clear for a second chance on a Dungy coached team, but Michael Sam getting his first chance would be too much of a distraction.

Last edited by Brandon98 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
When I read this earlier I was pretty disappointed... Thought he was a good hearted man but I am wrong.

Really creepy of him to do that to the young man but I am glad he exposed to us all how heartless he really is

After his son's suicide, my heart went out to him and it still does. But as someone who went through the loss of his son, you'd think Dungy would be more open to supporting young men facing difficulties . . . well I mean ones who don't kill dogs for sport of course - Dungy's good with that.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject:

I don't see the problem with what he's saying. Coaches simply don't want to deal with locker room problems. And while he may be "spineless" for not wanting to deal with those kind of problems, I don't blame him because it'd be his ass on the line if something went wrong. The coach is always the first guy people blame for what happens in a locker room. You think he can watch what happens 24/7? This is not a Disney movie, these guys have families to take care of, livelihoods to maintain, not everybody is in a situation where they can make a statement.

Don't lie, if something did go wrong, you'd be looking at the coach for letting it happen.

It's not up to just the coach to embrace that kind of baggage. It would take the locker room player leadership, it'd take the general manager, it'd take the owner, it'd take the fans. Although it sucks, that's the reality of the situation. Something like Jonathan Martin happens and it's everybody's job that is on the line.

There's a certain hypocrisy at work here. If it goes sideways in St. Louis, who is going to have Fisher's back for not being "spineless"? He'll be thrown under the bus, then his carcass will be throw to the wolves. Like I said, it sucks, but Sam is certainly a locker room distraction. That's not being cruel, that's only recognizing reality, the NFL locker room is a vicious atmosphere, and everything will be under a microscope. No one's going to give Jeff Fisher any extra leeway in St. Louis because he has to deal with that on top of his other duties. So I wouldn't blame a coach for not wanting to bring that on himself. Some guys are wired differently.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Him and Mark Jackson show write a book together.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
A "distraction" in a league where every off season guys are beating their GF/wives or getting DUIs or any number of shenanigans?

It's sad, but that is the reality of the situation.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Dungee is a devout Christian. I've heard he doesn't use foul language. His making that kind of public statement is very disappointing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

It is one of the great sadnesses of our time that African Americans have in significant numbers adopted an homophobic stance based on the same religion that used to preach their less than equal status.

I was especially struck by the comment that you don't achieve tolerance. By forcing it. Yes, yes you do. Dr king didn't ask southern whites to give black folk their rights. He demanded it. Forced it. Died for it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
I don't see the problem with what he's saying. Coaches simply don't want to deal with locker room problems. And while he may be "spineless" for not wanting to deal with those kind of problems, I don't blame him because it'd be his ass on the line if something went wrong. The coach is always the first guy people blame for what happens in a locker room. You think he can watch what happens 24/7? This is not a Disney movie, these guys have families to take care of, livelihoods to maintain, not everybody is in a situation where they can make a statement.

Don't lie, if something did go wrong, you'd be looking at the coach for letting it happen.

It's not up to just the coach to embrace that kind of baggage. It would take the locker room player leadership, it'd take the general manager, it'd take the owner, it'd take the fans. Although it sucks, that's the reality of the situation. Something like Jonathan Martin happens and it's everybody's job that is on the line.

There's a certain hypocrisy at work here. If it goes sideways in St. Louis, who is going to have Fisher's back for not being "spineless"? He'll be thrown under the bus, then his carcass will be throw to the wolves. Like I said, it sucks, but Sam is certainly a locker room distraction. That's not being cruel, that's only recognizing reality, the NFL locker room is a vicious atmosphere, and everything will be under a microscope. No one's going to give Jeff Fisher any extra leeway in St. Louis because he has to deal with that on top of his other duties. So I wouldn't blame a coach for not wanting to bring that on himself. Some guys are wired differently.

Well I do.

My father was fired from an influential and prestigious job just when his career was really taking off because he chose doing

One can excuse being a coward all one wants. Doesn't make the person any less of a coward.

Though apparently in this case we have a coward AND bigot. Apparently he has been an outspoken opponent of gay rights:

http://www.dennyburk.com/tony-dungy-on-pres-obamas-gay-marriage-stance/.

So yeah, I see a LOT of problems with what he is saying - and the message he is sending as someone who held a leadership position. I blame him plenty.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Disappointing News: Tony Dungy is a Spineless Tool

DaMuleRules wrote:
And here I was, thinking he was a decent dude. But in reality he's at best a spineless tool who is too afraid to do the right thing because it may prove inconvenient:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tony-dungy-michael-same-20140721-story.html[url=http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tony-dungy-michael-same-20140721-story.html

He's just saying what most NFL GM's are thinking around the league.
Why else was he passed up by everybody but the St. Louis Rams. His story was well known in his local community and they were quicker to embrace it than everyone else.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Well I do.

My father was fired from an influential and prestigious job just when his career was really taking off because he chose doing

One can excuse being a coward all one wants. Doesn't make the person any less of a coward.

Though apparently in this case we have a coward AND bigot. Apparently he has been an outspoken opponent of gay rights:

http://www.dennyburk.com/tony-dungy-on-pres-obamas-gay-marriage-stance/.

So yeah, I see a LOT of problems with what he is saying - and the message he is sending as someone who held a leadership position. I blame him plenty.

That article substantiates what I thought. His position is based on religion.
Quote:
Tony Dungy tweeted a short word about his take on President Obama’s gay marriage announcement (HT). Dungy writes:

I was disappointed he veered from biblical view.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
It is one of the great sadnesses of our time that African Americans have in significant numbers adopted an homophobic stance based on the same religion that used to preach their less than equal status.

I was especially struck by the comment that you don't achieve tolerance. By forcing it. Yes, yes you do. Dr king didn't ask southern whites to give black folk their rights. He demanded it. Forced it. Died for it.
stop it 24.

sorry if you still refuse to get it. everyone does not have to AGREE with that lifestyle. period. stop trying to force someone's lifestyle down other people's throats. being black is not a lifestyle choice. choosing to romantically be with someone of the same sex is a lifestyle choice.

what happened to all of that "what ever happens behind closed doors is non of our business." talk? why do i even have to know you like guys or girls? unless i personally ask.

Just like a non believer doesnt have to agree with the bible. a bible believer doesnt have to agree with a person living a homosexual life style.

it goes both ways.

and lets get on the same religion that used to preach that blacks were less then. so you're blaming white racism on religion now. ha haa.. so... are you trying to tell me there are no racist white atheist running around the US? i bet we could find at least one. And what those white used out of the bible to attempt to make themselves feel good at night when they went to bed is between them and God. they took scriptures out of context. the bible itself did not condone that kind of slavery. slavery in biblical times had different meanings.

So sorry. what you are saying is incorrect. leave people alone about it. stop trying to force people to be down with that lifestyle. its their choice. we live in america right? we all have a choice when it comes to what lifestyles we agree or disagree with correct? if someone can say i dont like the clubbing lifestyle. thats on them. if someone says i dont like the drug addict lifestyle thats on them. if someone says i dont like the religious lifestyle. thats on them. just like someone can say i dont like the homosexual lifestyle. thats on them. there is no homophobia in that very idea.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject:

You know what dungy, the bible condones slavery. Think about that for a moment.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Disappointing News: Tony Dungy is a Spineless Tool

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

He's just saying what most NFL GM's are thinking around the league.
Why else was he passed up by everybody but the St. Louis Rams. His story was well known in his local community and they were quicker to embrace it than everyone else.

What most GMs are thinking doesn't change or excuse anything. Just because the people in power think one way doesn't absolve one of failing to do the right thing because it goes against the people in power. Even the Military Code gets that.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
24 wrote:

stop it 24.

sorry if you still refuse to get it. everyone does not have to AGREE with that lifestyle. period. stop trying to force someone's lifestyle down other people's throats. being black is not a lifestyle choice. choosing to romantically be with someone of the same sex is a lifestyle choice.

what happened to all of that "what ever happens behind closed doors is non of our business." talk? why do i even have to know you like guys or girls? unless i personally ask.

Just like a non believer doesnt have to agree with the bible. a bible believer doesnt have to agree with a person living a homosexual life style.

it goes both ways.

and lets get on the same religion that used to preach that blacks were less then. so you're blaming white racism on religion now. ha haa.. so... are you trying to tell me there are no racist white atheist running around the US? i bet we could find at least one. And what those white used out of the bible to attempt to make themselves feel good at night when they went to bed is between them and God. they took scriptures out of context. the bible itself did not condone that kind of slavery. slavery in biblical times had different meanings.

So sorry. what you are saying is incorrect. leave people alone about it. stop trying to force people to be down with that lifestyle. its their choice. we live in america right? we all have a choice when it comes to what lifestyles we agree or disagree with correct? if someone can say i dont like the clubbing lifestyle. thats on them. if someone says i dont like the drug addict lifestyle thats on them. if someone says i dont like the religious lifestyle. thats on them. just like someone can say i dont like the homosexual lifestyle. thats on them. there is no homophobia in that very idea.

Seem this is my point. You spend a lot of time fighting bigotry while being a complete bigot. You want others to accept who you are but you reserve the right to not prove of other people. Fwiw, the same churches that preach against homosexuality preached against black equality. With the same sense of moral conviction.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Precisely.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
24 wrote:

stop it 24.

it goes both ways.

Good lord, you're an ape.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
24 wrote:

stop it 24.

it goes both ways.

Good lord, you're an ape.

Apes everywhere are offended by the comparison.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23
Jump to: