CEO: Rivers to quit Clippers if Sterling stays
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: CEO: Rivers to quit Clippers if Sterling stays

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clippers-ceo-shelly-sterling-testify-072557352--nba.html

Quote:
The interim CEO of the Los Angeles Clippers testified Tuesday that coach Doc Rivers told him he will quit if Donald Sterling remains the owner of the team.

CEO Richard Parsons made the statement at a trial to determine whether Sterling's wife Shelly Sterling can sell the team for $2 billion to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

The NBA has tried to force out Donald Sterling since soon after racist statements emerged on recordings in April.

''Doc is troubled by this maybe moreso than anybody else,'' Parsons said on the witness stand about Rivers, who is black. ''If Mr. Sterling continues as owner, he does not want to continue as coach.''

I don't like Doc Rivers and his Celtic-like antics, but if this is true, props to him for making a stand for equal justice.

Mods, feel free to merge this with the main Sterling thread if appropriate.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

I'll give him props if he follows through. Right now it's just words.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I'll give him props if he follows through. Right now it's just words.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Whatever screws the Clippers for maximum effect...I am all for.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:

I have mixed feelings about this.

I can certainly understand why he'd want to quit. At the same time; he rallied the players when they were feeling like they didn't want to play. He made them feel like they were all in this together. However; they don't really have the ability to just quit like he does.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this.

I can certainly understand why he'd want to quit. At the same time; he rallied the players when they were feeling like they didn't want to play. He made them feel like they were all in this together. However; they don't really have the ability to just quit like he does.

They can quit just like him. And just like him, they won't get paid.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject:

C'mon Doc, don't make me root for Donald so I can see you do an Olympic level backtrack.

!...
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Is this why Byron Scott hasn't been officially hired yet?
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject:

Well lets see.. all this to me is BS. You don't like your boss you still go to work. This crap about Rivers being a "father figure/leader" is crap to me. These arent High school kids, there are grown ass men. If Doc leaves are they all gonna fall over their face? He has only been there ONE year, are you telling me he has such an impact on these players that they cannot function without him? Many of us work for bosses that we do not like, its part of life, you deal with it. Go to work, do your best and let the BS take care of it self.

I don't condone Donald's actions, but I do have an issue with Rivers and players threatening to bolt if he is still the owner. If they really wanted to take a stand, the playoffs was when they should have done that!!! JMO.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject:

how convenient for Doc came out with this statement now, knowing Sterling now has to sell to pay for his debt, and the trial against his ex-wife is basically a foregone conclusion favoring her, also Sterling just had a friendly meeting with Ballmer couple nights ago. way to go on the limb Doc Rivers, where was Doc about a month ago when Donald Sterling declared to the world he'd fight to the bitter end.

god i'm so sick of these attention whore clowns: Doc, LeBron, Chris Paul, i really REALLY hope Donald Sterling drags this on as long as possible to force these clowns to eat their words.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
how convenient for Doc came out with this statement now, knowing Sterling now has to sell to pay for his debt, and the trial against his ex-wife is basically a foregone conclusion favoring her, also Sterling just had a friendly meeting with Ballmer couple nights ago. way to go on the limb Doc Rivers, where was Doc about a month ago when Donald Sterling declared to the world he'd fight to the bitter end.

god i'm so sick of these attention whore clowns: Doc, LeBron, Chris Paul, i really REALLY hope Donald Sterling drags this on as long as possible to force these clowns to eat their words.

RIGHT!!!!!!! Exactly what I was saying!!! All BS is you ask me. I wanna see the season start with Don still owning the Clippers, lets see what these punks will do!!!!
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
Well lets see.. all this to me is BS. You don't like your boss you still go to work. This crap about Rivers being a "father figure/leader" is crap to me. These arent High school kids, there are grown ass men. If Doc leaves are they all gonna fall over their face? He has only been there ONE year, are you telling me he has such an impact on these players that they cannot function without him? Many of us work for bosses that we do not like, its part of life, you deal with it. Go to work, do your best and let the BS take care of it self.

I don't condone Donald's actions, but I do have an issue with Rivers and players threatening to bolt if he is still the owner. If they really wanted to take a stand, the playoffs was when they should have done that!!! JMO.

Well technically if you don't like your boss you still go to work if you need/want that job, but you can quit if you can afford to and don't want to work for him/her. Many of us work for bosses we don't like, but we're only as good as our options. If Doc or anyone else has the choice to not work or work for someone else then why begrudge them their right to do so?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

Yeah whatever Doc Sterling wasn't a racist yesterday he was one forever.

Even when you played for him and when you chose to work for him.

Now its just beyond public and you are saving face.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

Well technically if you don't like your boss you still go to work if you need/want that job, but you can quit if you can afford to and don't want to work for him/her. Many of us work for bosses we don't like, but we're only as good as our options. If Doc or anyone else has the choice to not work or work for someone else then why begrudge them their right to do so?

You're totally right, if one has the option to quit because they don't like their boss, power to them Average joes like you and I do not always have this option, even though we may be trying to stand up for something we believe in. My issue with Doc & Co is the playoffs was when they had the chance to do this, it was at a higher stage, more exposure on the issue. Right now, they are basically trying to influence the court's decision, so lawyers can use that as argument.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
Socks wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

You're totally right, if one has the option to quit because they don't like their boss, power to them Average joes like you and I do not always have this option, even though we may be trying to stand up for something we believe in. My issue with Doc & Co is the playoffs was when they had the chance to do this, it was at a higher stage, more exposure on the issue. Right now, they are basically trying to influence the court's decision, so lawyers can use that as argument.

^^^ exactly right, timing is in question here, not whether Doc's allow to quit, of course he's allowed, but question is does he really want to quit or just another public stunt to get more popularity under his one ring resume.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Good and he can take that big poster that covers up Laker banners as a parting gift.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject:

^^^ I can buy that as one point of view, sure. On the other hand, I can also buy Doc and the team saying F this, we've worked hard all season and we have a shot to win a title, not for Sterling but for us. F him and let's do this as a team. I won't pretend to know all their motivations, but I don't think anything is definitive there.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:

FredG wrote:
Is this why Byron Scott hasn't been officially hired yet?

that's the rumor, yes
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
^^^ I can buy that as one point of view, sure. On the other hand, I can also buy Doc and the team saying F this, we've worked hard all season and we have a shot to win a title, not for Sterling but for us. F him and let's do this as a team. I won't pretend to know all their motivations, but I don't think anything is definitive there.

I said this at the time... If they just want to be remembered as basketball players, then play the playoff game they worked hard for. If they want to stand up for something and transcend the sport, they should have just walked off the court. No one would remember whether they won or lost a random playoff game...but they would remember when a team walked off the court and refused to play. Probably remember that more than who won the championship.

Doc and the players failed at transcending the sport and standing up for something a little larger. He said it was harder to go out and play the game, then it was to protest...I didn't buy that then. Seemed like the easy way out. If he walks now, good for him. I'll believe it when I see it. The Clippers actions were hallow then, have been quiet all summer and will be without substance again if they take court under some dumb protest like they did in the playoffs while Sterling is still running things....and fans line his pockets by continuing to show up.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Socks wrote:

I said this at the time... If they just want to be remembered as basketball players, then play the playoff game they worked hard for. If they want to stand up for something and transcend the sport, they should have just walked off the court. No one would remember whether they won or lost a random playoff game...but they would remember when a team walked off the court and refused to play. Probably remember that more than who won the championship.

Doc and the players failed at transcending the sport and standing up for something a little larger. He said it was harder to go out and play the game, then it was to protest...I didn't buy that then. Seemed like the easy way out. If he walks now, good for him. I'll believe it when I see it. The Clippers actions were hallow then, have been quiet all summer and will be without substance again if they take court under some dumb protest like they did in the playoffs while Sterling is still running things....and fans line his pockets by continuing to show up.

Yep. Words "I will, probably, perhaps, if" are worthless garbage. There is no way for you, Doc, to save the face.

You knew what you're getting yourself into before this summer. Even before this spring. You worked for the guy before. And you had no idea? 90% of Angelinos don't even work for him and never met the guy. But they all know what piece of crap he is. And whether or not he is racist too. But you, CP3 and Blake didn't know, right? Poor babies, we feel for you. We really do...

To the extent of going speechless when you decided that turning freaking jerseys inside out is a Protest enough for you. Wow.

I am not even black but I felt ashamed. For inability of young athletes to make a stand for something they feel right. I'd fully understand "I heard it before yet still signed up to play for this guy. My bad and I am ready to deal with the consequences. But there is no way I work for him any longer".

Right there. Right then.

Now? - find another sucker to believe you, Doc...
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Socks wrote:

Yep. Words "I will, probably, perhaps, if" are worthless garbage. There is no way for you, Doc, to save the face.

You knew what you're getting yourself into before this summer. Even before this spring. You worked for the guy before. And you had no idea? 90% of Angelinos don't even work for him and never met the guy. But they all know what piece of crap he is. And whether or not he is racist too. But you, CP3 and Blake didn't know, right? Poor babies, we feel for you. We really do...

To the extent of going speechless when you decided that turning freaking jerseys inside out is a Protest enough for you. Wow.

I am not even black but I felt ashamed. For inability of young athletes to make a stand for something they feel right. I'd fully understand "I heard it before yet still signed up to play for this guy. My bad and I am ready to deal with the consequences. But there is no way I work for him any longer".

Right there. Right then.

how many of you want to bet if the ruling is starting to favor Donald Sterling, Doc would come out and say they (him and the players) will continue on playing this game because they don't want to be remember as quitters when facing racism, you can book it.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

who cares.

im so tired of this "the clippers are victims" crap.

they all knew who signed those checks. so deal with it
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Socks wrote:

Right there. Right then.

how many of you want to bet if the ruling is starting to favor Donald Sterling, Doc would come out and say they (him and the players) will continue on playing this game because they don't want to be remember as quitters when facing racism, you can book it.

If the ruling went down that path, that's how I see it happening too.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
who cares.

im so tired of this "the clippers are victims" crap.

they all knew who signed those checks. so deal with it

Yep, it was pretty much open knowledge that the Donald didn't care for minorities, but because these guys were getting their million dollar paychecks they chose to ignore it. Same with the NAACP leadership whom the Donald was able to bribe with lots of money and ended up winning 2 Lifetime Achievement awards.
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Makes you appreciate someone like Mohammad Ali even more. A boxers TRUE prime is a 5 year window. A 5 year window where he becomes legendary. Ali sacrificed his prime and millions for his belief. Belief in not being a slave to the system. Religion played a part but it had to do more with not selling out to the material and really fighting for what is truly right.

The only reason why Doc can quit is because he knows he would have exactly, if not more, in pay elsewhere. And all those players that took money from Sterling justify their decisions by saying lame ass things like "its not fair for the fans", "I just wanna play basketball".

Yah ok. I dont care how much they are paying you, if you are gonna yap about standing up for whats right, and then you take checks that have a racist scumbag's signature on it, than you arent any different the the house "you know what" that Ali and Malcolm X use to talk about back in the 60s.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: