ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: scariest movies

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
1.) pet sematary
2.) arachnophobia
3.) the exorcist

The first time that I saw "The Exorcist" was in the 1990's, and I thought the horror scenes played like comedy for me. I genuinely laughed really hard at many of those parts. I'm not sure that any movie has truly scared me, but "Arachnophobia" probably is as close to that as I've come, because I hate spiders. OK, I'm afraid of spiders.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: scariest movies

ChickenStu wrote:
1.) pet sematary
2.) arachnophobia
3.) the exorcist

The first time that I saw "The Exorcist" was in the 1990's, and I thought the horror scenes played like comedy for me. I genuinely laughed really hard at many of those parts. I'm not sure that any movie has truly scared me, but "Arachnophobia" probably is as close to that as I've come, because I hate spiders. OK, I'm afraid of spiders.

I get that...I feel the same way about slasher/alien movies; I find them silly and unfrightening. I was brought up catholic so old world biblical/demonic stuff strikes a chord with me.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: scariest movies

ChickenStu wrote:
1.) pet sematary
2.) arachnophobia
3.) the exorcist

I get that...I feel the same way about slasher/alien movies; I find them silly and unfrightening. I was brought up catholic so old world biblical/demonic stuff strikes a chord with me.

I wasn't brought up Catholic but I feel the same way about the biblica/demonic ish. I saw the exorcist when I was 6 dude. SIX! In 1982 on TV. That head spin at that time...dude, it haunted me for YEARS.

For what it's worth, imo the new class of horror movies are on a different level. It's just our sensibilities have grown.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject:

Idocracy and everything else isn't even close...
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: scariest movies

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
1.) pet sematary
2.) arachnophobia
3.) the exorcist

I wasn't brought up Catholic but I feel the same way about the biblica/demonic ish. I saw the exorcist when I was 6 dude. SIX! In 1982 on TV. That head spin at that time...dude, it haunted me for YEARS.

For what it's worth, imo the new class of horror movies are on a different level. It's just our sensibilities have grown.

Holy (bleep) @ 6. I saw the director's cut when I was 17 in a packed classroom...had to pretend not to be pantshat creeped out for the rest of the day.

I dunno, there are some good scares in The Conjuring universe but even those are weak on fearsome ethos and rely too heavily on jump scares and recycled tropes.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: scariest movies

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
1.) pet sematary
2.) arachnophobia
3.) the exorcist

Holy (bleep) @ 6. I saw the director's cut when I was 17 in a packed classroom...had to pretend not to be pantshat creeped out for the rest of the day.

I dunno, there are some good scares in The Conjuring universe but even those are weak on fearsome ethos and rely too heavily on jump scares and recycled tropes.

It came on Tv. We were poorer than dirt growing up so we saw all the brought to TV Movies. I remember exactly where I was sitting when that head spin happened bro. Dude...borderline child abuse these days. Kids today...THEY'RE SOFT! LOL
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject:

Pet Cemetery for sure
The ring was pretty creepy too
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Texas chainsaw massacre

Iono, wouldn't say I'm scared by anything, but am more appreciative of some over others for their effort. Probably why most people have the original TCM and original Exorcist at the top of their lists. I think making an truly frightening movie for the jaded crowd is harder than making a legitimately funny comedy like Airplane! or Naked Gun. People tend to think comedy is harder, but I don't think so.

Scariest thing about TCM is that it's an odd artistic achievement of sorts. The aesthetics are old and grubby and some scenes have a snuff film appearance that no other movie has touched since. The director Tobe Hooper had a good eye. Spielberg supposedly asked him how he pulled off one of his perspective shots. It's weird how something like camera angles and tracking shots can be expressed so well in a movie with that subject, but it is held by some artsy folk as a postmodern art film. MOMA has it in their film registry. Exorcist is a well-acted, written, and conceived film. Similar to TCM, it's best effect is probably achieved on the first few views. After that, they can do 180s and become hokey. It's important to stress the release dates. In their day, there was nothing like either of those movies. Period. There were plenty of critics and moviegoers who were revolted by both, which is a good thing, speaks to how effective they were in their aims. Both were shocksploitation films. Today, anything short of ISIS execution vids are quaint.

I remember seeing Pet Sematary when it came out. Scariest part was when the demon baby cut Fred Gwynne's Achilles' tendon with a straight razor. Ooof! Not to Herman! Loved his Mainer accent in that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject:

The Shining

Also, maybe it was just the night I saw it, but Insidious scared me a few times.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The Shining

Also, maybe it was just the night I saw it, but Insidious scared me a few times.

The Shining scared the heck out of me when I was kid. The two little dead girls and the old lady in bathtub still creep me out but, nowadays, I just appreciate The Shining as a really good movie.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

Scary movies are my thing.

Not necessarily scary movies or but I'll list 2 fairly unheard movies for you guys to watch.

Kairo(2001) - Japanese movie that influenced the crappy US version. This movie left me feeling a lot of dread but in a good way.

The Wailing(2016) - Korean horror film with religious undertones. Leaves a lot to be interpreted.

These aren't that scary but they're much better than your average horror movie that relies on imagery to scare people.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
The Shining

The Shining scared the heck out of me when I was kid. The two little dead girls and the old lady in bathtub still creep me out but, nowadays, I just appreciate The Shining as a really good movie.

yeah, those little girls....and just the large empty resort. The things that always get me is when someone or something subtly appears in the peripheral....some of that happened in Insidious.

I grew up on Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare of Elm Street....and those scared me when I was a kid, but they seem more silly now.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

I recall being kind of freaked out by the absolute gruesome nature of the original Hostel....that scene where he cuts the dudes Achilles....
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

amityville horror original
Cujo original
Kingdom of the Spiders *Shatner
Duel https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Signs *Shamalayan

fwiw, i no longer get scared by pixels on a screen No interest in "Horror"
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: scariest movies

1.) pet sematary
2.) arachnophobia
3.) the exorcist
what HL? lol

your #3 is still #1 on most people's list. the other 2 are not scary. #2 can be bad for those that have that issue obviously.

Now you throw in one of those classic pin head movies... then we're talking about scary.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Texas chainsaw massacre (which one?)
Final Destination
Jeepers Creepers
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: scariest movies

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
1.) pet sematary
2.) arachnophobia
3.) the exorcist

exactly. its when did you see that exorcist. if it was back in the 80's as a little kid. I can guarantee you it will still be tops on your horror list.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I recall being kind of freaked out by the absolute gruesome nature of the original Hostel....that scene where he cuts the dudes Achilles....
that first hostel was funny scary because you knew that it could really happen to you. from the start to the finish, the entire setup was just cold. hot girls..drugged up, you wake up and here we go, i'm chained to a chair in a foreign country and i have no idea how i got here.

Last edited by splashmtn on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
amityville horror original
Cujo original
Kingdom of the Spiders *Shatner
Duel https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Signs *Shamalayan

fwiw, i no longer get scared by pixels on a screen No interest in "Horror"

when I was a kid, Cujo scared the bejeezus out of me...as did Children of the
Corn, Silver Bullet and many others
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

The Exorcist seriously messed up my mess in a bad way when I was 11. And those effects lasted a LONG while thereafter. In fact, I had to watch it years later as a 20-something year old just to exorcise those demons, so to speak. Prior to that, I would get images of the demonized Linda Blair at random times when in dark places, both those from the movie and new ones that my imaginative fears had conjured and it would startle me as a young adult. I haven't done much research but I've heard that there were all kinds of odd stuff going on during the making of that movie. There are films, for me, like Field of Dreams or Shawshank that seem to have an anointed quality about them and then there is the other side of the spectrum where I'd place the Exorcist.

Last edited by Gimme_the_rock on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
The Shining

yeah, those little girls....and just the large empty resort. The things that always get me is when someone or something subtly appears in the peripheral....some of that happened in Insidious.

I grew up on Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare of Elm Street....and those scared me when I was a kid, but they seem more silly now.

That reminds me of "The Strangers" a bit, which was pretty well-done.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Texas chainsaw massacre (which one?)
Final Destination
Jeepers Creepers

The one that came out in 2003

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0324216/
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
The Exorcist seriously messed up my mess in a bad way when I was 11. And those effects lasted a LONG while thereafter. In fact, I had to watch it years later as a 20-something year old just to exorcise those demons, so to speak. Prior to that, I would get images of the demonized Linda Blair at random times when in dark places, both those from the movie and new ones that my imaginative fears had conjured and it would startle me as a young adult. I haven't done much research but I've heard that there were all kinds of odd stuff going on during the making of that movie. There are films, for me, like Field of Dreams or Shawshank that seem to have an anointed quality about them and then there is the other side of the spectrum where I'd place the Exorcist.

Gimme_the_rock is in HERE...with us...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: