2010 v. 2014: A Comparison
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

I was having a discussion with a friend about the Lakers' roster for the upcoming year and the topic of how crappy they will be this year was obviously a recurring theme. We ultimately came to the conclusion that this years squad can be considered a 'homeless man's 2010.'

Now I understand that in 2010 the Lakers won it all, but bear with me. This is simply a roster comparison. Just wanted to hear any opinions on the matter.

ASSUMPTIONS:
1) Kobe will stay healthy and play like Kobe.
2) Hire a slow-paced, defensive minded coach (B. Scott??)
3) The NBA at large is better now than it was in 2010. So even if we had the 2010 team in this NBA I have my doubts.

My main point in bringing this up is for those who think this team will be terrible. They will not. I see them as a borderline playoff team, who could possibly shock a few people. If anything this hinders the future development of the Lakers (because the goal is championships), but the FO has actually tried to put a contender on the floor. While it may be a homeless man's version of a contender, this team is not going to tank -- meaning the Suns will be drafting for the Lakers.

2009-2010 team:
12 Shannon Brown
24 Kobe Bryant
17 Andrew Bynum
1 Jordan Farmar
2 Derek Fisher
16 Pau Gasol
28 Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
6 Adam Morrison
7 Lamar Odom
21 Josh Powell
18 Sasha Vujacic
4 Luke Walton
37 Metta World Peace

2014-2015 team:
-- Carlos Boozer
2 MarShon Brooks
24 Kobe Bryant
5 Jordan Clarkson
32 Ed Davis PF
7 Xavier Henry
27 Jordan Hill PF
11 Wesley Johnson
4 Ryan Kelly PF
7 Jeremy Lin PG
10 Steve Nash
30 Julius Randle
50 Robert Sacre
0 Nick Young SF

NOTES:

Kobe then >> Kobe now

PG then (Farmar, Fisher, Vujecic) = PG now (Lin, Nash, Clarkson)

PF/C then (Bynum, Gasol, Dacos, Powell) = PF/C now (Hill, Boozer, Randle, Davis, Sacre)
I say this because the 2010 was more top-heavy but had nowhere near the level of depth, youth, and athleticism as 2014

Bench then << Bench now

Team defense...?? This is a very coachable thing, and although we have less individually elite defenders I do see this team as having the potential to be decent overall defenders.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not attesting that this team will win a championship, but comparing the two rosters I do see a lot of similarities.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

Vujacic
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

It could be Kobe then >> Kobe now

Or it could be Kobe then >>>>>>>> Kobe now

Oh, and there's always:

Coach then >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Coach now

Like your optimism though!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:

Comparisons start and end with Kobe. Kobe (2010) >>>>>>>>>>> (x999) than Kobe (2014).
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

I'm sorry, but

PF/C then (LO, Bynum, Pau) >>> Whoever we have now
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Bynum, when healthy was way better than any of our bigs this season. And a 2010 Gasol, in the NBA finals was almost superstar status. So 2010 bigs>>>> 2014 bigs.
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

Who's going to give you the combined 45 and 20 that Pau and Bynum gave? Not to mention that Phil's one of the GOAT coaches, we had a great system and great role plays conducive to making that system work, and Kobe was way, way better back then
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

EddieJonesss wrote:
It could be Kobe then >> Kobe now

Or it could be Kobe then >>>>>>>> Kobe now

Oh, and there's always:

Coach then >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Coach now

Like your optimism though!

Yea, I agree completely. There are a lot of unknowns, and most of them are likely to be shells of the ones the existed previously.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

However, LG threads from 2014 >>>> LG threads from 2010
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

ClaytonBigsby wrote:
I was having a discussion with a friend about the Lakers' roster for the upcoming year and the topic of how crappy they will be this year was obviously a recurring theme. We ultimately came to the conclusion that this years squad can be considered a 'homeless man's 2010.'

Now I understand that in 2010 the Lakers won it all, but bear with me. This is simply a roster comparison. Just wanted to hear any opinions on the matter.

ASSUMPTIONS:
1) Kobe will stay healthy and play like Kobe.
2) Hire a slow-paced, defensive minded coach (B. Scott??)
3) The NBA at large is better now than it was in 2010. So even if we had the 2010 team in this NBA I have my doubts.

My main point in bringing this up is for those who think this team will be terrible. They will not. I see them as a borderline playoff team, who could possibly shock a few people. If anything this hinders the future development of the Lakers (because the goal is championships), but the FO has actually tried to put a contender on the floor. While it may be a homeless man's version of a contender, this team is not going to tank -- meaning the Suns will be drafting for the Lakers.

2009-2010 team:
12 Shannon Brown
24 Kobe Bryant
17 Andrew Bynum
1 Jordan Farmar
2 Derek Fisher
16 Pau Gasol
28 Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
6 Adam Morrison
7 Lamar Odom
21 Josh Powell
18 Sasha Vujacic
4 Luke Walton
37 Metta World Peace

2014-2015 team:
-- Carlos Boozer
2 MarShon Brooks
24 Kobe Bryant
5 Jordan Clarkson
32 Ed Davis PF
7 Xavier Henry
27 Jordan Hill PF
11 Wesley Johnson
4 Ryan Kelly PF
7 Jeremy Lin PG
10 Steve Nash
30 Julius Randle
50 Robert Sacre
0 Nick Young SF

NOTES:

Kobe then >> Kobe now

PG then (Farmar, Fisher, Vujecic) = PG now (Lin, Nash, Clarkson)

PF/C then (Bynum, Gasol, Dacos, Powell) = PF/C now (Hill, Boozer, Randle, Davis, Sacre)
I say this because the 2010 was more top-heavy but had nowhere near the level of depth, youth, and athleticism as 2014

Bench then << Bench now

Team defense...?? This is a very coachable thing, and although we have less individually elite defenders I do see this team as having the potential to be decent overall defenders.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not attesting that this team will win a championship, but comparing the two rosters I do see a lot of similarities.

The 2014-2015 team lost a lot of size. Our only 7 footer is Robert Sacre and he's probably still going to be a bench player.
As far as defense goes the 2010 team was better.
The upside to the 2014-2015 team is that we might be faster since we are so young. Other than Kobe, Nash and Boozer, our team has a lot of youth.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject:

2010 Kobe >>>>>> 2014 Kobe
2010 LO/Pau/Bynum >>>>> 2014 Hill/Randle/Boozer/Davis
2010 Phil Jackson >>>>> 2014 ???
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

.4 wrote:
Bynum, when healthy was way better than any of our bigs this season. And a 2010 Gasol, in the NBA finals was almost superstar status. So 2010 bigs>>>> 2014 bigs.

Bynum averaged 8ppg, 7rpg, and was not healthy. Gasol did his thing, 18 and 11. I can do this one...a combined 26 and 18.

Those are great numbers, but not jaw dropping. Just keep it in perspective.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

.4 wrote:

Yep, depth wasn't really a question since Pau back then was at around full strength. He was a one man wrecking crew back then. Bynum was also close to his peak as well.
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

I agree with the other two. This is debatable. Based on roles and depth, I would add Nick Young and Wes Johnson to the 2014 side. 2010 did not have that luxury. Again, 2010 more top heavy--2014, youth, depth, athleticism.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject:

Nothing between 2010 and 2014 is similar. 2010 lakers were far superior to what this team is shaping up to be. No coach is Phil Jackson but we still need one I'm pretty sure under NBA rules.
gus26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

i would have compared this curent roster to 2007, pre-pau trade...

that was the year kobe was hell bent on us being good, and we were really rolling and clicking then bynum got hurt and we traded kwame for pau... and didn't miss a beat...

IF randle starts rolling, and kobe can infuse his thought process throught out the team and the right coach comes in I see us as a 6 or 7 seed... if nash stays healthy off the bench we could be a 5 seed... if any other player on the team has a break out season... if wes becomes solid or X turns beast or clarkson turns into a contributer... we could even climb as high as a 4th seed...
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

ClaytonBigsby wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

I agree with the other two. This is debatable. Based on roles and depth, I would add Nick Young and Wes Johnson to the 2014 side. 2010 did not have that luxury. Again, 2010 more top heavy--2014, youth, depth, athleticism.

Our frontcourt in 2010 was the best in the NBA. If those three players were still on the team and still playing at or near 2010 levels, we would still have the best frontcourt in the NBA. Those three players were THAT good.

It doesn't really matter if our 5th best big now is better than our 5th best big in 2010. That doesn't put our frontcourt into elite territory in 2014.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

ClaytonBigsby wrote:
I say this because the 2010 was more top-heavy but had nowhere near the level of depth, youth, and athleticism as 2014.

Oh yeah. Who needs a couple all-star caliber big men when you can have youth and athleticism?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

What in the holy (bleep)? The 2010 would completely obliterate, annihilate, defecate on the current bigs.

LG's perpetual hard-on for the new and shiny has been cause for some of the most absurd posts but this one takes the cake.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
What in the holy (bleep)? The 2010 would completely obliterate, annihilate, defecate on the current bigs.

Our "bigs" are really just power forwards at this point. Sacre is the only true big man on the roster and his skill level isn't up there yet.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Our frontcourt in 2010 was the best in the NBA. If those three players were still on the team and still playing at or near 2010 levels, we would still have the best frontcourt in the NBA. Those three players were THAT good.

It doesn't really matter if our 5th best big now is better than our 5th best big in 2010. That doesn't put our frontcourt into elite territory in 2014.

Seriously.

Even assessing the impact of a 5th player on the depth charth is stupefying. Like the slug that never gets off the bench is even remotely relevant.

Again, what in the holy (bleep)...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Our "bigs" are really just power forwards at this point. Sacre is the only true big man on the roster and his skill level isn't up there yet.

Pau Gasol on his last legs, barely to get the ball over the cup on a wide open dunk attempt is still 10 x Sacre.
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
I say this because the 2010 was more top-heavy but had nowhere near the level of depth, youth, and athleticism as 2014.

Oh yeah. Who needs a couple all-star caliber big men when you can have youth and athleticism?

I see you selectively decided to omit depth. Good work.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Seriously.

Even assessing the impact of a 5th player on the depth charth is stupefying. Like the slug that never gets off the bench is even remotely relevant.

Again, what in the holy (bleep)...

James Vanderbeek cry is the perfect reaction to that post
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

ClaytonBigsby wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:

I see you selectively decided to omit depth. Good work.

Did you selectively decide to omit Odom?

Here is the lineup of bigs in order of who I think is the best player to the worst.

Gasol, Odom, Bymum, Powell, Dacos

Hill, Randle, Boozer, Davis, Sacre

I would argue that the 2010 bigs are better at every level of depth except maybe Josh Powell vs Ed Davis. The 4th big off the bench rarely gets playing time anyways.

Last edited by nickuku on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: