2010 v. 2014: A Comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

nickuku wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
PF/C then (Bynum, Gasol, Dacos, Powell) = PF/C now (Hill, Boozer, Randle, Davis, Sacre)
I say this because the 2010 was more top-heavy but had nowhere near the level of depth, youth, and athleticism as 2014.

Oh yeah. Who needs a couple all-star caliber big men when you can have youth and athleticism?

I see you selectively decided to omit depth. Good work.

Did you selectively decide to omit Odom?

He was included in bench. No omission.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

ClaytonBigsby wrote:
nickuku wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
PF/C then (Bynum, Gasol, Dacos, Powell) = PF/C now (Hill, Boozer, Randle, Davis, Sacre)
I say this because the 2010 was more top-heavy but had nowhere near the level of depth, youth, and athleticism as 2014.

Oh yeah. Who needs a couple all-star caliber big men when you can have youth and athleticism?

Wow

Last edited by jonnybravo on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

ClaytonBigsby wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:

Nope, it's right there. It's just that calling that lineup "deep" is even more silly than talking about youth and athleticism. Anyway, as the other poster points out, you omitted Odom. So much for that argument. Good work yourself.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

ClaytonBigsby wrote:
nickuku wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:

Oh, but Mbenga and Powell weren't "bench." Gotcha.

I know it's the silly season, but this thread actually manages to dip below the low standards for this time of year.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

ClaytonBigsby wrote:
I was having a discussion with a friend about the Lakers' roster for the upcoming year and the topic of how crappy they will be this year was obviously a recurring theme. We ultimately came to the conclusion that this years squad can be considered a 'homeless man's 2010.'

Now I understand that in 2010 the Lakers won it all, but bear with me. This is simply a roster comparison. Just wanted to hear any opinions on the matter.

ASSUMPTIONS:
1) Kobe will stay healthy and play like Kobe.
2) Hire a slow-paced, defensive minded coach (B. Scott??)
3) The NBA at large is better now than it was in 2010. So even if we had the 2010 team in this NBA I have my doubts.

My main point in bringing this up is for those who think this team will be terrible. They will not. I see them as a borderline playoff team, who could possibly shock a few people. If anything this hinders the future development of the Lakers (because the goal is championships), but the FO has actually tried to put a contender on the floor. While it may be a homeless man's version of a contender, this team is not going to tank -- meaning the Suns will be drafting for the Lakers.

2009-2010 team:
12 Shannon Brown
24 Kobe Bryant
17 Andrew Bynum
1 Jordan Farmar
2 Derek Fisher
16 Pau Gasol
28 Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
6 Adam Morrison
7 Lamar Odom
21 Josh Powell
18 Sasha Vujacic
4 Luke Walton
37 Metta World Peace

2014-2015 team:
-- Carlos Boozer
2 MarShon Brooks
24 Kobe Bryant
5 Jordan Clarkson
32 Ed Davis PF
7 Xavier Henry
27 Jordan Hill PF
11 Wesley Johnson
4 Ryan Kelly PF
7 Jeremy Lin PG
10 Steve Nash
30 Julius Randle
50 Robert Sacre
0 Nick Young SF

NOTES:

Kobe then >> Kobe now

PG then (Farmar, Fisher, Vujecic) = PG now (Lin, Nash, Clarkson)

I say this because the 2010 was more top-heavy but had nowhere near the level of depth, youth, and athleticism as 2014

Bench then << Bench now

Team defense...?? This is a very coachable thing, and although we have less individually elite defenders I do see this team as having the potential to be decent overall defenders.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not attesting that this team will win a championship, but comparing the two rosters I do see a lot of similarities.

You spent a lot of time delivering this post which I think is well thought out. I do not think the Lakers will be terrible as well, however because of the new CBA it does leave decent talent for teams with cap room. The key to building a excellent team is much harder, that's where great management makes a difference.

Nice post but building a championship team is much more difficult, Dallas is an example of building a good competitive team that has not become a championship quality yet.
Azarian
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

2014 team is an awful team. We don't have a single player better than any of the top 3 in 2010, you can even debate whether we have a player better than 2010's 4th best, Bynum
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject:

I remember one time when a poster here said we were "2 top ten players a way from a championship".
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
nickuku wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:

Oh, but Mbenga and Powell weren't "bench." Gotcha.

I know it's the silly season, but this thread actually manages to dip below the low standards for this time of year.

Easy tiger. I did not include Nick Young, X, or Wes Johnson either. The bench was meant to include the key players who came off the bench and were pluggable into multiple positions. Odom played his fair share of SF as well, which is why I thought he was better served in that category.

I get it you disagree with me. But why so serious?
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

Voices wrote:
ClaytonBigsby wrote:
I was having a discussion with a friend about the Lakers' roster for the upcoming year and the topic of how crappy they will be this year was obviously a recurring theme. We ultimately came to the conclusion that this years squad can be considered a 'homeless man's 2010.'

Now I understand that in 2010 the Lakers won it all, but bear with me. This is simply a roster comparison. Just wanted to hear any opinions on the matter.

ASSUMPTIONS:
3) The NBA at large is better now than it was in 2010. So even if we had the 2010 team in this NBA I have my doubts.

My main point in bringing this up is for those who think this team will be terrible. They will not. I see them as a borderline playoff team, who could possibly shock a few people. If anything this hinders the future development of the Lakers (because the goal is championships), but the FO has actually tried to put a contender on the floor. While it may be a homeless man's version of a contender, this team is not going to tank -- meaning the Suns will be drafting for the Lakers.

2009-2010 team:
12 Shannon Brown
24 Kobe Bryant
17 Andrew Bynum
1 Jordan Farmar
2 Derek Fisher
16 Pau Gasol
28 Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
6 Adam Morrison
7 Lamar Odom
21 Josh Powell
18 Sasha Vujacic
4 Luke Walton
37 Metta World Peace

2014-2015 team:
-- Carlos Boozer
2 MarShon Brooks
24 Kobe Bryant
5 Jordan Clarkson
32 Ed Davis PF
7 Xavier Henry
27 Jordan Hill PF
11 Wesley Johnson
4 Ryan Kelly PF
7 Jeremy Lin PG
10 Steve Nash
30 Julius Randle
50 Robert Sacre
0 Nick Young SF

NOTES:

Kobe then >> Kobe now

I say this because the 2010 was more top-heavy but had nowhere near the level of depth, youth, and athleticism as 2014

Bench then << Bench now

Team defense...?? This is a very coachable thing, and although we have less individually elite defenders I do see this team as having the potential to be decent overall defenders.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not attesting that this team will win a championship, but comparing the two rosters I do see a lot of similarities.

You spent a lot of time delivering this post which I think is well thought out. I do not think the Lakers will be terrible as well, however because of the new CBA it does leave decent talent for teams with cap room. The key to building a excellent team is much harder, that's where great management makes a difference.

Nice post but building a championship team is much more difficult, Dallas is an example of building a good competitive team that has not become a championship quality yet.

I agree completely. There are a number of teams who are stuck in that perennial 5-8 seed, never to win a championship rut. Difference is the Lakers are a big market, with young talent, and potential cap flexibility.

The challenge for FO has been trying to balance embracing that rebuilding philosophy while appeasing an aging star who wants to win now. Tough to have both.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

there is truth to what the OP is saying but unfortunately we are not talking about these things in a vacuum. Factors to consider is how the players play together, that team has great chemistry from top to bottom, they fit together like a glove. How will this team fit in together? I do disagree with the front court being a wash. No way, Pau and Lamar were incredible together, Bynum was already developed and a force inside.

Bynum >>> Hill
Pau >>>> Boozer
Odom >>>/?? Randle
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
there is truth to what the OP is saying but unfortunately we are not talking about these things in a vacuum. Factors to consider is how the players play together, that team has great chemistry from top to bottom, they fit together like a glove. How will this team fit in together? I do disagree with the front court being a wash. No way, Pau and Lamar were incredible together, Bynum was already developed and a force inside.

Bynum >>> Hill
Pau >>>> Boozer
Odom >>>/?? Randle

Case in point. 2009-2010 to 2010-2011.

Similar rosters. Morale/camaraderie different.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it's close, the 2010 team was much better then this 2014 team. Kobe, Pau, LO, and Bynum we're all in thier prime and still great. Not one player on this team besides Kobe is better then Pau, LO, or Bynum. We we're bigger and stronger then every team in the league and out rebounded just about everyone.

This current roster is one of the worst in the league. The only rosters this Lakers team is better then is the Bucks, 76ers, Celtics, and TWolves after they trade Love. Yes, I think the Jazz and Magic will be much improved.

We have no size, 2nd and 3rd options, and Kobe is 4 years older. This roster is actually made to be uptempo, Kobe and Boozer are really the only players better suited for a slow pace offense. When it's all said and done I don't see this team winning more then 25 games, the east will be better and the west is loaded as usual.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
What in the holy (bleep)? The 2010 would completely obliterate, annihilate, defecate on the current bigs.

LG's perpetual hard-on for the new and shiny has been cause for some of the most absurd posts but this one takes the cake.

Agreed. Pau alone >>>>>>> than our bigs going into 2014. That's not including an incredible LO, and an emerging Bynum who admittedly wasn't too big a factor after he got hurt going into the playoffs. That Pau was coming off a finals where he (bleep) all over "dominant center" Dwight Howard.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
I remember one time when a poster here said we were "2 top ten players a way from a championship".

We still are
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

Dave20 wrote:
I don't think it's close, the 2010 team was much better then this 2014 team. Kobe, Pau, LO, and Bynum we're all in thier prime and still great. Not one player on this team besides Kobe is better then Pau, LO, or Bynum. We we're bigger and stronger then every team in the league and out rebounded just about everyone.

This current roster is one of the worst in the league. The only rosters this Lakers team is better then is the Bucks, 76ers, Celtics, and TWolves after they trade Love. Yes, I think the Jazz and Magic will be much improved.

We have no size, 2nd and 3rd options, and Kobe is 4 years older. This roster is actually made to be uptempo, Kobe and Boozer are really the only players better suited for a slow pace offense. When it's all said and done I don't see this team winning more then 25 games, the east will be better and the west is loaded as usual.

ClaytonBigsby wrote:

Goodness gracious.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

lol.
what a terrible idea.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

ClaytonBigsby wrote:

NOTES:

Kobe then >> Kobe now

And Odom? With a rotation of Gasol-Odom-Bynum alone, the 2010 was top heavy AND had depth over this squad. Bonus point for the extraordinary court chemistry between Gasol and Odom.
2010 >>>>>>>>> 2014

Quote:

Bench then << Bench now

It's hard to make a clear comparison, since we don't know what this team's bench will be.... since they all look like bench players.

I think the group of Odom (6th Man Of The Year), Farmar, Brown, & Co. would compare favorably. Including Vujacic and Walton, they all had big moments in big games.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

ClaytonBigsby wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

2010 LO/Pau/Bynum >>>>> 2014 Hill/Randle/Boozer/Davis

This is debatable.

Man, I don't wanna be obnoxious, but it's not really debatable.

Quote:

Based on roles and depth, I would add Nick Young and Wes Johnson to the 2014 side. 2010 did not have that luxury. Again, 2010 more top heavy--2014, youth, depth, athleticism.

Are you talking about bench now? 'Cause like I said in another reply, you're adding two guys that might spend a lot of time in the starting lineup. At least one of them, anyway.
joedanvan22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

ClaytonBigsby wrote:

ASSUMPTIONS:

2009-2010 team:
12 Shannon Brown
24 Kobe Bryant
17 Andrew Bynum
1 Jordan Farmar
2 Derek Fisher
16 Pau Gasol
28 Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
6 Adam Morrison
7 Lamar Odom
21 Josh Powell
18 Sasha Vujacic
4 Luke Walton
37 Metta World Peace

2014-2015 team:
-- Carlos Boozer
2 MarShon Brooks
24 Kobe Bryant
5 Jordan Clarkson
32 Ed Davis PF
7 Xavier Henry
27 Jordan Hill PF
11 Wesley Johnson
4 Ryan Kelly PF
7 Jeremy Lin PG
10 Steve Nash
30 Julius Randle
50 Robert Sacre
0 Nick Young SF

NOTES:

Kobe then >> Kobe now

Bench then << Bench now

come on man marshon brooks isnt even on the team if your going to post something at least get the roster right
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Closers then >>> Closers now.

Fisher/Kobe/Ariza/Odom/Pau >>> 2014.

So no way they are more comparable than any two NBA rosters.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Koalita wrote:
Closers then >>> Closers now.

Fisher/Kobe/Ariza/Odom/Pau >>> 2014.

So no way they are more comparable than any two NBA rosters.

You mean artest?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

Yep, no comparison...we beat the freaking Celtics in the NBA Finals with that roster.....
Nobody is even projecting this team to make the playoffs let alone make the Finals. We are scraping the bottle of the barrel for players to fill out the roster ever since we struck out on getting the superstars this free agency. I just hope they put on a decent season for the fans to watch.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Nobody is even projecting this team to make the playoffs let alone make the Finals. We are scraping the bottle of the barrel for players to fill out the roster ever since we struck out on getting the superstars this free agency. I just hope they put on a decent season for the fans to watch.

Whatever our record this year, it's definitely going to be a fun season to watch.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Kobe/Gasol 2010 = automatic trip to the finals, kind of like LeBron today.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:

.4 wrote:
Bynum, when healthy was way better than any of our bigs this season. And a 2010 Gasol, in the NBA finals was almost superstar status. So 2010 bigs>>>> 2014 bigs.

So never?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: