2010 v. 2014: A Comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Kobe/Gasol 2008-2010 = automatic trip to the finals coming out of the west, kind of like LeBron today, just in a conference 10x more competitive.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
Nothing between 2010 and 2014 is similar. 2010 lakers were far superior to what this team is shaping up to be. No coach is Phil Jackson but we still need one I'm pretty sure under NBA rules.
yammy1688
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

.4 wrote:
Bynum, when healthy was way better than any of our bigs this season. And a 2010 Gasol, in the NBA finals was almost superstar status. So 2010 bigs>>>> 2014 bigs.

he outplayed dwight straight up. pretty much qualified as super-status ball that series.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
.4 wrote:
Bynum, when healthy was way better than any of our bigs this season. And a 2010 Gasol, in the NBA finals was almost superstar status. So 2010 bigs>>>> 2014 bigs.

So never?

Drew was balling back in 2007-2008 season before Odom fell on his leg which basically started all his medical problems after that. If you remember the Lakers were in 1st place in the western conference, that season where the summer where Kobe was caught on camera doing his rant. That injury was the impetus for the Pau trade.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 v. 2014: A Comparison

ClaytonBigsby wrote:

PF/C then (Bynum, Gasol, Dacos, Powell) = PF/C now (Hill, Boozer, Randle, Davis, Sacre) .

Odom averaged 32 minutes, primarily at power forward. He played more than twice as many minutes as Mbenga and Powell combined.

So your PF/C line should be Bynum/Gasol/Odom.

Your case isn't strengthened by emphasizing guys from the 09-10 who weren't in the rotation and barely played.

ClaytonBigsby wrote:
Now don't get me wrong, I am not attesting that this team will win a championship, but comparing the two rosters I do see a lot of similarities.

I have a hard time thinking of two rosters that are more dissimilar. Take Kobe out of the equation and the two rosters are nothing alike.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
.4 wrote:

So never?

Drew was balling back in 2007-2008 season before Odom fell on his leg which basically started all his medical problems after that. If you remember the Lakers were in 1st place in the western conference, that season where the summer where Kobe was caught on camera doing his rant. That injury was the impetus for the Pau trade.

Odom didn't fall on his leg. Bynum stepped on Lamar's foot, which somehow resulted in him losing a kneecap. People keep saying Odom ran into Drew, not true. Kobe fell into Drew's leg, Odom just happened to have his foot in the wrong place. Andrew was just massively injury prone; most players who step on a foot maybe turn their ankles, losing a kneecap was a huge red flag.

Edit - here's the vid

TheSource666
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Our front court this year is better than in 2010, when we were widely regarded as having the best frontcourt in the NBA?

Are you serious?

Seriously?

Really?

that's like saying...Nick Young is better than Kobe.

Nick Young > Kobe's stats last season.

Nick Young is more athletic and explosive.

Nick Young has enough experience in the NBA to not be completely clueless.

Nick Young tried to show defense last year, and will only improve this year! And he can defend better than Kobe because Kobe is slow and old.

....it's the same stupid logic.

No really, you just said the 2014 front court is better than 2010? Really?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject:

The Bynum/Gasol/Odom front court may have been the deepest most talented pool of front court players on a team since the 80's Celtics teams. I know many think the championships were all about Kobe, but Kobe had tremendous big man talent in those runs. Pau, Bynum and Odom were all-star talents who were willing to do whatever it takes to win come playoffs. They didn't care so much about shots or touches or whatever. They played hard even if their role was marginalized by Kobe's 25-30 shots a night. Even injured, they came to pay.

There's only one player who comes close to the talent level of that trio - that's Randle. And he's 19, needs some time to develop. I could see Randle become as good as Lamar Odom at his best, maybe even better as Lamar wasn't always focused, but that's about it. Rest of our FC is weak sauce in comparison, guys.

Also realize who was coaching those teams. It wasn't Byron Scott. It was the GOAT in coaching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
.4 wrote:

So never?

Drew was balling back in 2007-2008 season before Odom fell on his leg which basically started all his medical problems after that.

His first knee surgeries were when he was 12, and he missed a lot of games in HS due to knee problems (all of which the Lakers chose to ignore) but if you mean that Odom falling into him "started all the medical problems that occurred after that" - like saying it was the first day of the rest of his life - then I suppose you could pretend that that's when it started.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
.4 wrote:

So never?

Drew was balling back in 2007-2008 season before Odom fell on his leg which basically started all his medical problems after that.

His first knee surgeries were when he was 12, and he missed a lot of games in HS due to knee problems (all of which the Lakers chose to ignore) but if you mean that Odom falling into him "started all the medical problems that occurred after that" - like saying it was the first day of the rest of his life - then I suppose you could pretend that that's when it started.

Odom didn't fall into Drew. Odom didn't fall into Drew. Odom didn't fall into Drew. . Andrew stepped on Odom's foot after hopping up trying to grab a rebound. I agree with everything else. Bynum was as injury prone as they come, which is unfortunate because of his talent. He just had a body that couldn't hold up under major minutes throughout a full NBA season.

Linsanity17
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

I think we are more athletic than that team but that's about it. Comparing the frontcourts of the two teams is a joke. 2008-10 LO/AB/PG > Most frontcourts today in the NBA.

dj mbenga > Sacre
psy123321123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

I'd say no because George Karl would be a better fit.
psy123321123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

I'd say no because George Karl would be a better fit.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The Bynum/Gasol/Odom front court may have been the deepest most talented pool of front court players on a team since the 80's Celtics teams. I know many think the championships were all about Kobe, but Kobe had tremendous big man talent in those runs. Pau, Bynum and Odom were all-star talents who were willing to do whatever it takes to win come playoffs. They didn't care so much about shots or touches or whatever. They played hard even if their role was marginalized by Kobe's 25-30 shots a night. Even injured, they came to pay.

There's only one player who comes close to the talent level of that trio - that's Randle. And he's 19, needs some time to develop. I could see Randle become as good as Lamar Odom at his best, maybe even better as Lamar wasn't always focused, but that's about it. Rest of our FC is weak sauce in comparison, guys.

Also realize who was coaching those teams. It wasn't Byron Scott. It was the GOAT in coaching.

To add to this, the Kobe/Odom/Pau synergy when they were on during that 3 year stretch was greater than the sum of it's parts (which was all-world on their own).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Linsanity17 wrote:
I think we are more athletic than that team but that's about it. Comparing the frontcourts of the two teams is a joke. 2008-10 LO/AB/PG > Every frontcourt today in the NBA.

dj mbenga > Sacre

Ftfy.
Anon-kun
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject:

what is this?! I don't even...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: