Comparing Lakers and Celtics off-seasons so far
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Lakers and Celtics off-seasons so far

Dennis_D wrote:
* I feel like I am starting to see the outlines of a post-Kobe roster with Lin and Randle being solid starters; Clarkson, Henry, Young, Kelly, Davis, Hill and Sacre being a solid bench. Ideally, the Lakers can use their cap room to sign/trade for a top-notch wing and center

Most of your post was fine in terms of describing the status of the teams. But this comment seems unlikely. I don't think that Lin is part of the post-Kobe scenario for the Lakers. I'd put the odds at less than 50% that he is even on the team after this year. Basically, the Rockets paid us for the privilege of parking his contract on our roster for a year.

Otherwise, you are falling into the same old trap of trying to evaluate the decisionmaking of GMs when you don't know their plans, their options, or their limitations.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Lakers and Celtics off-seasons so far

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dennis_D wrote:
* I feel like I am starting to see the outlines of a post-Kobe roster with Lin and Randle being solid starters; Clarkson, Henry, Young, Kelly, Davis, Hill and Sacre being a solid bench. Ideally, the Lakers can use their cap room to sign/trade for a top-notch wing and center

Most of your post was fine in terms of describing the status of the teams. But this comment seems unlikely. I don't think that Lin is part of the post-Kobe scenario for the Lakers. I'd put the odds at less than 50% that he is even on the team after this year. Basically, the Rockets paid us for the privilege of parking his contract on our roster for a year.

Otherwise, you are falling into the same old trap of trying to evaluate the decisionmaking of GMs when you don't know their plans, their options, or their limitations.

You are probably right. After I posted this, I read an article about how badly Kobe and Lin's game mesh and that took me from "They aren't a good fit but something can be worked out" to "Tough to see how they play together".

I feel like the Lakers are starting to get some pieces, but it is hard to see how they fit together. Probably the biggest unknown is "How good is Kobe going to be this season?" If he is close to '12-'13 Kobe, then you design the roles of the other players around him. If he is old and slow, then it would make sense to design the roles to maximize the performance of the younger players (including Lin) and tell Kobe that he has to accept a diminished role on the team.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I think Kobe and Lin will mesh just fine. Kobe has changed his game for his teammates every season.

He went into full assist mode dropping 10 a game when his team needed him to two seasons ago.

He can play off the ball as seen also two years ago in the Olympics.

The question is: can Lin bring it every night? He is the one that needs to earn Kobe's respect.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: