Funniest whale shark encounter ever!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Funniest whale shark encounter ever!

Im a freediver/spear fisherman, so this had me in stitches. The videographers scream underwater is absolutely hilarious.

Most divers in one way or another have been surprised by something big or small in the water and gotten a scare. Its what happens when you go somewhere where youre no longer at the top of the food chain.

I was freediving through a lava tube that was about 30 feet long in about 25 foot of water one time. I was inverted, slow crawling the top of the tube and i came upon a crack that had the biggest lobster ive ever seen in it to date. It startled the crap out of me and i immediately had no more breath lol. I had to hurry through to the end of the tube before the next surge of current came through.

Any other apnea folks out there? (the non sleep variety )
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Funniest whale shark encounter ever!

shansen008 wrote:
Im a freediver/spear fisherman, so this had me in stitches. The videographers scream underwater is absolutely hilarious.

Most divers in one way or another have been surprised by something big or small in the water and gotten a scare. Its what happens when you go somewhere where youre no longer at the top of the food chain.

I was freediving through a lava tube that was about 30 feet long in about 25 foot of water one time. I was inverted, slow crawling the top of the tube and i came upon a crack that had the biggest lobster ive ever seen in it to date. It startled the crap out of me and i immediately had no more breath lol. I had to hurry through to the end of the tube before the next surge of current came through.

No offense intended, but, you're crazy.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject:

LOL. I give divers like that (you) credit. I could NOT dive into the ocean like that. I'd rather take my chances with ANY land animal on the planet than be in a compromised position with some ocean predator. There's just something about being so helpless in the sea.... unless you pull a Scooby -Doo maneuver and run atop the water, you are at the mercy of the ocean and whatever sea creature that wants to take a snap at you.

If that were me , I'd have screamed too.... and clouded the surrounding water in brown with my squid-like ink defense system.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject:

MOVE (bleep), GET OUT THE WAY!

!...
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
LOL. I give divers like that (you) credit. I could NOT dive into the ocean like that. I'd rather take my chances with ANY land animal on the planet than be in a compromised position with some ocean predator. There's just something about being so helpless in the sea.... unless you pull a Scooby -Doo maneuver and run atop the water, you are at the mercy of the ocean and whatever sea creature that wants to take a snap at you.

If that were me , I'd have screamed too.... and clouded the surrounding water in brown with my squid-like ink defense system.

I guess it depends on how quickly and painfully you want to die. There are so many animals that you would have absolutely NO CHANCE against. Did you see that video of that Tiger posted here recently? But I get what you're saying. In the water, you're out of your element and not at the top of the food chain. At least you can shoot a Tiger or a Polar bear if you're lucky, in the water, you're just fish food.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject:

I have an irrational fear of the deep sea.

Between DMR and his shark tales and now Shansen, I think I'll refrain from going into the ocean altogether.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject:

Glad he didn't spear it.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Funniest whale shark encounter ever!

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

No offense intended, but, you're crazy.

, thanks!
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:

Yeah its actually the reason i started doing it. My biggest fear of how to die was always drowning, even though ive never really been afraid of the water. So i decided to give it a go just to get over it. I watched the film, "The Big Blue" years ago when i was younger, and had always found the idea scary but fascinating.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:

I guess it depends on how quickly and painfully you want to die. There are so many animals that you would have absolutely NO CHANCE against. Did you see that video of that Tiger posted here recently? But I get what you're saying. In the water, you're out of your element and not at the top of the food chain. At least you can shoot a Tiger or a Polar bear if you're lucky, in the water, you're just fish food.

Totally, im always armed in some way in the water. Either a knife, speargun, or pole spear. There definitely things that have bad intentions, but they are generally rare. Ive encountered galapagos sharks in the water before, that was a bit sketchy. Overall though its a great experience. Swimming with dolphins, or mantas at night is amazing.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Between DMR and his shark tales and now Shansen, I think I'll refrain from going into the ocean altogether.

Yeah i prefer to have a mask and snorkel at the minimum, because i KNOW whats down there.

Hah, i went down into a cave one time looking for an Ulua. I didnt see one so i came back up from the dive. As i hit the surface my dive partner (never dive alone) sayts, "WHoa, did you see that eel?!". Well i hadn't, but apparently after i exited the mouth of the cave, an eel followed me out that he said had to be at least a foot longer than me, and im 6'4". He was checking me out, but then got discouraged because he had come to far out of the hole. They hate open water because big fish like Ulua love to eat em.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yeah i prefer to have a mask and snorkel at the minimum, because i KNOW whats down there.

Hah, i went down into a cave one time looking for an Ulua. I didnt see one so i came back up from the dive. As i hit the surface my dive partner (never dive alone) sayts, "WHoa, did you see that eel?!". Well i hadn't, but apparently after i exited the mouth of the cave, an eel followed me out that he said had to be at least a foot longer than me, and im 6'4". He was checking me out, but then got discouraged because he had come to far out of the hole. They hate open water because big fish like Ulua love to eat em.

I'd need a spear gun to do something like that. It's not necessarily the water either. I swim like a fish. Something about a big, pitch black ocean. I'd need something in my hand just to feel like I'm not defenseless down there. It's probably useless if shark came at me, but I just need it for the peace of mind. I "might" be convinced to go diving but the cave though is a no-no. That's like a 2-in-1 of terror.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I'd need a spear gun to do something like that. It's not necessarily the water either. I swim like a fish. Something about a big, pitch black ocean. I'd need something in my hand just to feel like I'm not defenseless down there. It's probably useless if shark came at me, but I just need it for the peace of mind. I "might" be convinced to go diving but the cave though is a no-no. That's like a 2-in-1 of terror.

Yeah my first time just going under a big archway where both ends can easily be seen was even scary. After that though it gets easier. You begin to realize most stuff just wants to stay away from you. That and dont go sticking your hand in holes, hah.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Anyone who doesn't experience the wonders of the deep is missing out on one of the greatest treasures this planet has to offer. And to me, one of the great parts of the experience is the knowledge that you are only a temporary visitor to a world you don't really belong in.

It's a gorgeous and awe inspiring world under the sea.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

Totally, im always armed in some way in the water. Either a knife, speargun, or pole spear. There definitely things that have bad intentions, but they are generally rare. Ive encountered galapagos sharks in the water before, that was a bit sketchy. Overall though its a great experience. Swimming with dolphins, or mantas at night is amazing.

Not at all. There are just creatures going about their daily business none of which involves bad intentions, especially not ones aimed at you. That includes the apex predators.

It's a shame you feel the need to arm yourself. There's nothing down there that's looking to harm you. The only true threats involved in diving are yourself and the physics.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

Not at all. There are just creatures going about their daily business none of which involves bad intentions, especially not ones aimed at you. That includes the apex predators.

It's a shame you feel the need to arm yourself. There's nothing down there that's looking to harm you. The only true threats involved in diving are yourself and the physics.

I keep a knife at the minimum, for lots of things. Ulua fisherman use break lines all the time. The last thing i want is to be headed up from 100 ft and find myself tangled up in someones line.

DMR i dont know what it is with you and words, and the requirement to be so 100% black and white in youre(my or anyone elses) use of them. Not everything is an argument. When i say bad intentions, im not implying somehow that the animal is doing anything but its purpose in the water. Regardless of that fact, from the point of view of a person who went in to enjoy the beauty of the ocean, being eaten is indeed bad. I arm myself because i spearfish for food, and i never take more than i plan on eating.

You are right that most of the time nothing is looking to harm you. The exception would be top level predators, and even then most of the time they arent either. Most shark attacks whether people choose to believe it or not are a case of mistaken identity. Youre much more likely to be attacked by a shark surfing or sponging than diving. Even if a shark was getting aggressive with me i wouldnt shoot it, but prod at it while slowly swimming backwards to get out of the water. The feel of metal on their skin is like nails on the chalkboard to them. Im way more concerned with encountering galapagos sharks than anything else where i dive. They are both dumb and agressive, a very bad mix.

Lets just be happy that you and i have found common ground somewhere and leave it at that.

How about some dive stories instead from you!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

I keep a knife at the minimum, for lots of things. Ulua fisherman use break lines all the time. The last thing i want is to be headed up from 100 ft and find myself tangled up in someones line.

DMR i dont know what it is with you and words, and the requirement to be so 100% black and white in youre(my or anyone elses) use of them. Not everything is an argument. When i say bad intentions, im not implying somehow that the animal is doing anything but its purpose in the water. Regardless of that fact, from the point of view of a person who went in to enjoy the beauty of the ocean, being eaten is indeed bad. I arm myself because i spearfish for food, and i never take more than i plan on eating.

You are right that most of the time nothing is looking to harm you. The exception would be top level predators, and even then most of the time they arent either. Most shark attacks whether people choose to believe it or not are a case of mistaken identity. Youre much more likely to be attacked by a shark surfing or sponging than diving. Even if a shark was getting aggressive with me i wouldnt shoot it, but prod at it while slowly swimming backwards to get out of the water. The feel of metal on their skin is like nails on the chalkboard to them. Im way more concerned with encountering galapagos sharks than anything else where i dive. They are both dumb and agressive, a very bad mix.

Lets just be happy that you and i have found common ground somewhere and leave it at that.

I was simply addressing what you were saying about always carrying something to defend yourself.

Anyway, I have a knife permanently attached to my BC as a tool. It comes in handy in the local kelp forests when you get snagged or other times as a way to clean up fishing line etc. I don't really carry anything else other than a camera on just about every dive. I'm much inclined to exploring than hunting, though I certainly like grabbing a lobster when it's legal and I have nothing against spearfishing for food.

There really aren't any creatures I am concerned about, even the sharks I've dove with i various places around the world. As you said, we aren't a food source. The vast majority of divers who get bitten by sharks are typical doing something silly to create the situation (shark feeds, harassment). If you don't mess with the critters, they won't mess with you. My concerns on a dive are really focused on conditions and equipment (I always carry a bail out bottle when diving alone).

There's only been one time I was concerned about a critter going after me and that was a sea lion at a rookery in the Sea of Cortez. It was pupping season and I was swimming in the shallows taking photos . I came across a large group of moms playing with their pups and swam a little closer. There was a very large bull (probably about 9 feet and several hundred pounds) patrolling the area and as I drew closer he started watching me and barking. Being used to the sea lions up here I foolishly paid little head to his warnings and pressed in closer. That pissed him off and he turned and came barring at me. Even at his size he's a dozen times more quick and agile under the water than I and Bulls have a very large knot on the top of their forehead and I had visions of him ramming that into my chest - which didn't seem like it would go well). I couldn't really do much but hold my camera housing out in front of me at length. As he charged, at the last second he veered upwards to pass just over me and smacked the back of my head with his large flipper. He circled back in front of me and barked agains as if to say, "You want anymore?". Needless to say I was moving on at that point.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

I was simply addressing what you were saying about always carrying something to defend yourself.

Anyway, I have a knife permanently attached to my BC as a tool. It comes in handy in the local kelp forests when you get snagged or other times as a way to clean up fishing line etc. I don't really carry anything else other than a camera on just about every dive. I'm much inclined to exploring than hunting, though I certainly like grabbing a lobster when it's legal and I have nothing against spearfishing for food.

There really aren't any creatures I am concerned about, even the sharks I've dove with i various places around the world. As you said, we aren't a food source. The vast majority of divers who get bitten by sharks are typical doing something silly to create the situation (shark feeds, harassment). If you don't mess with the critters, they won't mess with you. My concerns on a dive are really focused on conditions and equipment (I always carry a bail out bottle when diving alone).

There's only been one time I was concerned about a critter going after me and that was a sea lion at a rookery in the Sea of Cortez. It was pupping season and I was swimming in the shallows taking photos . I came across a large group of moms playing with their pups and swam a little closer. There was a very large bull (probably about 9 feet and several hundred pounds) patrolling the area and as I drew closer he started watching me and barking. Being used to the sea lions up here I foolishly paid little head to his warnings and pressed in closer. That pissed him off and he turned and came barring at me. Even at his size he's a dozen times more quick and agile under the water than I and Bulls have a very large knot on the top of their forehead and I had visions of him ramming that into my chest - which didn't seem like it would go well). I couldn't really do much but hold my camera housing out in front of me at length. As he charged, at the last second he veered upwards to pass just over me and smacked the back of my head with his large flipper. He circled back in front of me and barked agains as if to say, "You want anymore?". Needless to say I was moving on at that point.

Gee, that sounds like fun. You and Shansen are crazy. I'll go to a Jazz concert instead, or a walk through campus with my daughters.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

9 foot, several hundred pound creatures are not critters. Critters are things like possum and racoons.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

Gee, that sounds like fun. You and Shansen are crazy. I'll go to a Jazz concert instead, or a walk through campus with my daughters.

Being a visitor in a whole different world IS fun, and it's not as crazy as you think.

It's an enlightening experience to spend time in the underwater realm and realize that it's what covers 2/3 of our planet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: