Are you satisfied so far with our current core ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
a2j1m wrote:
Triple Double wrote:
No starting Center & SF, borderline starting PG and PF. And old Kobe coming off two serious injuries? No, I don't like that core.

Think about what can come of it though.

Look at our young players: Clarkson, Henry, Kelly, Randle, and Davis these guys have potential to be solid rotation guys/ all stars/ superstar. You have veterans with great work ethic. Yes this season won't be championship but moving on I'm actually reall excited. Tons of money again next season with the chance of our young guys becoming special players

Where is Kelly suppose to get time? He's the tallest and longest player on the team. Center when Hill is hungover?

Well don't expect boozer, Randle, Davis, and hill to stay healthy all 82 games. Plus he is versatile enough to match lineups. He can also play the 3 if needed. He will get time

So he's behind Davis then?
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject:

This team will have to do for now. No true center or SF. Hope Kobe stays healthy all year long. I am excited to see BScott get the chance he deserves on the sideline.

Otherwise, Vitti and the ambulance team will have their work cut out for themselves with half the team prone to injuries.
KB8224
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

No not satisfied with the team especially at the center position, the Lakers should try and trade for 7 foot shot blocking center Jeff Withey of the pelicans, his per 36 are 10.0 pts 7.9 rebs 2.6 blks and he doesn't seem like a foul prone player. Lakers should also get 3 and D sf for depth. Lakers would have a more defensive look.

My starters are

Pg Jeremy lin
Sg Kobe
Sf Wesley Johnson
Pf Jordan Hill
C Jeff Withey
FromTheWestSideWithLove
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

Given the hype around this year's free agency I'm disappointed. LG has talked about this year we land James/Melo/Bosh/players of that caliber but we end up with Lin and resigned guys from last year's disastrous team.

Not only am I a big lakers fan but kobe fan as well. If we go by Kobe's plan, he is going to retire in 2 years and it is safe to say with this current roster he is not getting his 6th. Next year who knows about the ways FA's think these days. The new CBA limits our ability to draw free agents by throwing them an abundant amount of cash like we use to. The FA field has changed and smaller market teams have just as much appeal as big market teams like LA.

Also, IMO no FA wants to play with Kobe knowing that they will be option B while playing with him.

There is a lot of speculation in this post but the speculation seems to be consistent with what has happened so far with LA moving on with Kobe in his final days playing with LA.
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Pretty dissapointed.
Hopefully we understood that no big fish would come to us if we don't have a core. In this regard I hoped we would have tried to land Stephenson.

If Randle will be in content for ROY, if Lin would be more like the guy from NY and not Houston, if Clarkson turn out to be a steal and if the most of Wesley, Xavier, Davis, Kelly and Hill will improve, then we could say we have a core.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

If the premise is that we retain cap space and form a team with spare parts, just good enough to sniff a playoff, then I am content. This roster does that. But to say there is a core is misleading. It's just a beaten down Kobe and some helpers.

I'm disappointed that FO was not able to use their assets better - trading pau, using cap space to get draft pick (instead of jordan hill - Perkins' 9mil + pick) Perkins would be an asset come trading deadline to get another pick.

It's okay though. Cap space still available next year. Just need a winning platform and a closer for free agents next year. Jim/Jeanie/Mitch doesn't exactly say come to the Lakers - Any free agent could smell dysfunction right away. Who wants to come to that?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't feel like I know what's going on yet.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I wonder, out of this "core," which players would still be around in 2 years? Randle, maybe Kelly, and Young. This is just a pickup crew for now until Kobe retires.
PassTheBooze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

we don't have a core buddy

we're picking up players to be competitive. I'd be shocked if we made the playoffs with this roster
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
If the premise is that we retain cap space and form a team with spare parts, just good enough to sniff a playoff, then I am content. This roster does that. But to say there is a core is misleading. It's just a beaten down Kobe and some helpers.

I'm disappointed that FO was not able to use their assets better - trading pau, using cap space to get draft pick (instead of jordan hill - Perkins' 9mil + pick) Perkins would be an asset come trading deadline to get another pick.

It's okay though. Cap space still available next year. Just need a winning platform and a closer for free agents next year. Jim/Jeanie/Mitch doesn't exactly say come to the Lakers - Any free agent could smell dysfunction right away. Who wants to come to that?

We did exactly this and got Jeremy Lin and a 1st round pick...
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Would have been a lot happier if we had somehow landed Ariza for his D and athleticism or some other better SF option. Although, I suspect that's why Mitch isn't spending everything right now. Likely waiting to see what develops with other teams, perhaps all the way to the trade deadline if necessary.

Assuming Nash is just practicing soccer every chance he gets while collecting his paychecks, we need more depth at PG and SF.
Triple Double
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
Triple Double wrote:
No starting Center & SF, borderline starting PG and PF. And old Kobe coming off two serious injuries? No, I don't like that core.

Think about what can come of it though.

Look at our young players: Clarkson, Henry, Kelly, Randle, and Davis these guys have potential to be solid rotation guys/ all stars/ superstar. You have veterans with great work ethic. Yes this season won't be championship but moving on I'm actually reall excited. Tons of money again next season with the chance of our young guys becoming special players

It brings me no excitement to watch Laker games season with a core of players who could someday be quality bench players. Other than Randle, we may never hear of any of these guys in a few seasons. They will not likely develop into meaningful assets.

Having hope for future seasons is no consolation today.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
Would have been a lot happier if we had somehow landed Ariza for his D and athleticism or some other better SF option. Although, I suspect that's why Mitch isn't spending everything right now. Likely waiting to see what develops with other teams, perhaps all the way to the trade deadline if necessary.

Assuming Nash is just practicing soccer every chance he gets while collecting his paychecks, we need more depth at PG and SF.

Ariza likely wanted a long term commitment (he got a 4yr contract with the Rockets). And given that he has historically only played well during a contract year, I'm not sure it would be wise to lock in Ariza longterm at big money only to see him regress off his contract year high yet again.
mettaElbow
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject:

satisfied for the year, given circumstance yea, overall maybe 1 or 2 on this roster r relevant in 2 yrs, so not happy at all
Spill512
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Why would I be satisfied with a core that's not even projected to make the playoffs? Wut.

This is just a 1 year stop gap though. Roster will be rehauled again next off season.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

It's not the worst roster I've seen. I like the Lin pickup. I think he needs to continue to improve his 3P% because he'll be getting open looks from Kobe. Lin has shown he is capable of putting up big numbers. As a starter in NY, he put up something like 18 and 7.

If Lin can give us 14 and 5, I would be happy.

Boozer was a solid pickup, in all honesty. He's not great, but he's a proven starter. He'll help.

We still need a small forward, preferably one that can hit from distance. And obviously, as has been said millions of other times on LG, we need a true center. One who can protect the rim a bit.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Of course not.

4 years ago we had Bynum, Gasol, Odom and Kobe as core players.
3 years ago we had Bynum, Gasol, Kobe and Sessions as core players.
2 years ago we had Howard, Gasol, Kobe and Nash as core players.

Now we have Randle, Boozer, Kobe and Lin as core players (I'm guessing that will be the highest minute players).

Since I don't think anyone but Randle will be with us longer than 2-3 years, it's not so much that I mind re-building, but I much rather watch a group of players as a core who will be with the team for a long time. I see Lin, Boozer, Hill, etc. all going for the highest bidder next summer.

Other than Randle, I can't say I'm happy about the core or satisfied. But that said, it takes time to re-build a winner. So I'll be patient a few years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OracionSix
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject:

People look at our roster and say we're pretty much the same team so why should this year be different.
It's as if people just forgot that Kobe didn't play last year.
If Kobe stays healthy, I expect the Lakers to compete for a championship. Kobe will push the team to be contenders.
I never bet against Kobe.
meows a lot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Satisfied? No, we are in the early phases of rebuilding. But I will enjoy this team because I do think they are on the right track and several of these guys will end up part of the core or pieces around it.

Which guys do you predict?
what's the same instead of
always looking at what's different,

...well, who knows?”

- Meowth
meows a lot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Satisfied? No, we are in the early phases of rebuilding. But I will enjoy this team because I do think they are on the right track and several of these guys will end up part of the core or pieces around it.

Which guys do you predict?
what's the same instead of
always looking at what's different,

...well, who knows?”

- Meowth
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject:

OracionSix wrote:
People look at our roster and say we're pretty much the same team so why should this year be different.
It's as if people just forgot that Kobe didn't play last year.
If Kobe stays healthy, I expect the Lakers to compete for a championship. Kobe will push the team to be contenders.
I never bet against Kobe.

I'm satisfied enough with the core that I made a bet with a friend today that the Lakers will go at least 41 wins this season - his $300 to my $100.

I actually picked the 35-41 range on the number of wins poll, but the 3:1 odds were too good to pass up.

Oh, and I never bet against Kobe.
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

The front court is kind of small. Kobe can help Ed get lots of easy ones. I almost prefer him over Jordan Hill. But Randle and Jordan Hill don't seem like a good pair.

Starting 5
Jeremy Lin
Kobe Bryant
Wes Johnson
Carlos Boozer
Jordan Hill

Exciting line up off the bench.. I look forward to these guys playing together

Bench
Jordan Clarkson
Xavier Henry
Nick Young
Julius Randle
Ed Davis
blueice
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

Well, I think we need at least another SF and maybe 1 more center...
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) no. this is maybe one of the weakest starting lineups in the league
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Yes I'm very happy with this core, I believe they can suck so much that they will lead us to a top 5 pick in this year's lottery.

FU SUNS
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: