The Princeton offense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:
So if there must be some Princeton (there probably will be since Byron likes it on his previous teams), I hope it's mixed with some high P'N'R so that guys like Boozer, Lin, Randle and others can contribute as well to lessen the load on Kobe.

I don't think you need to worry about that.

Kyrie Irving's 2012/2013 offense highlights under Byron Scott:

Part 2:

Right.
Plus the Princeton implements curls and pinches which is essentially pick n roll.
iggypop123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Wasn't Adelman with the Kings the only coach to have any success running that? The general consensus seems to be that that's a style which only works in college basketball.

He doesn't run Princeton, just Princeton inspired . Lots of teams run triangle style plays, but that's different from triangle.
It was a high post offense. Pass it to big, that triggers movement, you read and screen well you get good shots. Ideally.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I skipped to Kyrie's passing highlights in Part 5 where it's pretty much all high pick and roll in the half court:

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

iggypop123 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Wasn't Adelman with the Kings the only coach to have any success running that? The general consensus seems to be that that's a style which only works in college basketball.

He doesn't run Princeton, just Princeton inspired . Lots of teams run triangle style plays, but that's different from triangle.
It was a high post offense. Pass it to big, that triggers movement, you read and screen well you get good shots. Ideally.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2014/07/26/byron-scott-princeton-harvard-linked/

There's video of the Lakers and Kings running sets.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Lin will be fine in the offense. He'll still be effective on the picks and use his speed to reek havoc in the paint.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I kind of like the idea of starting nick young and Kobe and bringing Nash off the bench as 6th man.

Lin/Nash/ clarkson
Kobe/ Henry/clarkson
Young/Johnson
Randle/hill/Kelly
Boozer/davis /sacre

We might give up 107 ppg but were scoring 108. This team would be difficult to stop.
iggypop123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
iggypop123 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

yeah the 2nd video is what i was talking about. they tried running that in summer league (telling of scott being considered?). anyways they ran it horribly, brent barry coulndt stop talking about how bad execution was.

id be in favor of princeton inpsired not the full on princeton from the mike brown era. eliminates the ball handlers ability to attack and we dont have the shooters to keep great spacing
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
why not just run the triangle?

And Phil was the only coach to have any success running the triangle?
Happy213
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
basketofballs wrote:
Per Wikipedia:

he offense is designed for a unit of 5 players who can each pass, shoot and dribble at an above average level. It attempts to isolate and exploit a mismatch using these skills.[3] Positions become less important and on offense there is no point guard, shooting guard, small forward or power forward.[4]

The offense usually starts out with four players outside the three-point arc with one player at the top of the key. The ball is kept in constant motion through passing until either a mismatch allows a player to cut to the basket or a player without the ball cuts toward the unoccupied area under and around the basket, and is passed the ball for a layup. Having a strong post player is important because this player is critical to passing to backdoor cutters, and can draw help defense to open outside shots.

The hallmark of the offense is the backdoor pass, where a player on the wing suddenly moves in towards the basket, receives a bounce pass from a guard on the perimeter, and (if done correctly) finds himself with no defenders between him and a layup. Alternatively, when the defensive team attempts to pack the paint to prevent backdoor cuts, the offense utilizes three point shots from the perimeter. All five players in the offense—including the center—should be competent at making a three point attempt, further spreading the floor.

The offense is often a very slow developing one, relying on a high number of passes, and is often used in college basketball by teams facing opponents with superior athletic talent, to maintain a low-scoring game (believing that a high-scoring game would favor the athletically superior opponent).

Do we really have the personnel for it? Well besides Kobe and Nash?

Yes we have the personnel for it. Boozer Randall and Kelly are excellent passers
Here's videos of the offense

I believe Ryan Kelly is a must keep for the next 6 years. His basket IQ is too Good to lose in FA. His a great prospect, possibly a gasol/dirk second coming. If we ever lost him in FA his going to be a allstar reserve
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject:

Happy213 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
basketofballs wrote:
Per Wikipedia:

he offense is designed for a unit of 5 players who can each pass, shoot and dribble at an above average level. It attempts to isolate and exploit a mismatch using these skills.[3] Positions become less important and on offense there is no point guard, shooting guard, small forward or power forward.[4]

The offense usually starts out with four players outside the three-point arc with one player at the top of the key. The ball is kept in constant motion through passing until either a mismatch allows a player to cut to the basket or a player without the ball cuts toward the unoccupied area under and around the basket, and is passed the ball for a layup. Having a strong post player is important because this player is critical to passing to backdoor cutters, and can draw help defense to open outside shots.

The hallmark of the offense is the backdoor pass, where a player on the wing suddenly moves in towards the basket, receives a bounce pass from a guard on the perimeter, and (if done correctly) finds himself with no defenders between him and a layup. Alternatively, when the defensive team attempts to pack the paint to prevent backdoor cuts, the offense utilizes three point shots from the perimeter. All five players in the offense—including the center—should be competent at making a three point attempt, further spreading the floor.

The offense is often a very slow developing one, relying on a high number of passes, and is often used in college basketball by teams facing opponents with superior athletic talent, to maintain a low-scoring game (believing that a high-scoring game would favor the athletically superior opponent).

Do we really have the personnel for it? Well besides Kobe and Nash?

Yes we have the personnel for it. Boozer Randall and Kelly are excellent passers
Here's videos of the offense

I believe Ryan Kelly is a must keep for the next 6 years. His basket IQ is too Good to lose in FA. His a great prospect, possibly a gasol/dirk second coming. If we ever lost him in FA his going to be a allstar reserve

Why stop there? Ryan Kelly is the next coming of Wilt Chamberlain.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
Triangle.
Princeton.
UCLA.

Doesn't matter to me. Call it whatever you want - just run an offense that is based on ball- and player-movement.

Lots of off-ball motion and screens.
Strong-side to weak-side movement.
Passing, passing, passing.

Within the offense, there should be plenty of P/R options all over the court.

And with Kobe, Boozer and Randle, we have some nice post-up options as well.

I like motion, passing, screens /P&R as well, who cares what the offense is called, just play team ball.

Good post.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
iggypop123 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

The issue i see with us running the princeton is the lack of good passing big men. Randle and Boozer can pass but that's about it on our frontcourt
bccat
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

Byron is likely to use Princeton most of the time. With so many mobile kids like lin, randle, clarkson in our lineup, they will fit right in. Then throw in a series of PnRs when we need a run on points.
Coach Slick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The triangle doesn't make sense coach-wise or personnel-wise.

We would at least have one player who excels in and knows the offense well enough to help others.

Cause we've definitely never seen how that works out before.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

It's been forbidden, per Jerry Buss' last will and testament.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Had Byron said he would run the triangle during interviews....no way he would have been hired.....

Lakers FO obviously for whatever reason wants to get away for triangle and Phil...

Had the chance to hire Shaw, Rambis, Fisher and all passed on....
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

It's been forbidden, per Jerry Buss' last will and testament.

Really? Why? serious question
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject:

Princeton is that a University ??
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject:

Running Princeton now is an even worse idea than it was in 2012. The mental picture of guys like Nick Young or Wes Johnson trying to navigate Weave Screens and Dribble-Ats while Ed Davis & Jordan Hill make high post reads is pretty funny.

I'd rather we ran the triangle and dispelled any myths about that.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Byron Scott used similar principles for the New Jersey Nets...

And the Nets were 17th & 18th in the league in Points Per 100 possessions during their two trips to the Finals. They were 1st in the league in Points Per 100 Possessions on the defensive end both years. Saying that we should run what NJ ran on offense because they were somewhat successful is like saying that we should run what Memphis has run on offense the last couple of years. Point being, their offense wasn't why they were there.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Running Princeton now is an even worse idea than it was in 2012. The mental picture of guys like Nick Young or Wes Johnson trying to navigate Weave Screens and Dribble-Ats while Ed Davis & Jordan Hill make high post reads is pretty funny.

Then, in time, we should move the low IQ players and bring in higher IQ guys.
If it's a choice between running a team-oriented, passing/reading/motion system or keeping Nick Young or Wes Johnson or Jordan Hill around, I'm going with the system.

If certain players can't hang, move them for players that can.
Having multiple low IQ players playing major roles makes winning/contending extraordinarily more difficult.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

If it's a choice between running a team-oriented, passing/reading/motion system or keeping Nick Young or Wes Johnson or Jordan Hill around, I'm going with the system.

Having multiple low IQ players playing major roles makes winning/contending extraordinarily more difficult.

Completely agree.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I agree with running a system, I just don't think Princeton is it. Steve Nash...arguably one of the Top 2 greatest offensive players of his generation and as high IQ as they come...complained about how intricate and pedantic Princeton was. You have a ton of reads to make, on the ball and off of it, spacing is minimized by positioning players on the wings rather than in the corners, and it's not particularly flexible. If a player misses a read (which will happen quite a bit due to the complexity of those reads), you're likely going to end up in a situation where you haven't created a shot and there's 7 seconds left on the shot clock. This is true of the Triangle as well, which is why it was only successful so long as you had one of the 2 greatest isolation players in NBA history on the team. Other than that, it was disastrous everywhere it was used. On our last title team, over 20% of our shots were generated out of isolation, one of the highest numbers in the league that year.

If we want system, basketball, San Antonio is the team to copy. Popovich has essentially taken D'Antoni's spacing principles, added weak side motion, and emphasized ball movement with his players. Atlanta used these same principles last year and made the playoffs with a woefully undermanned squad. SA's personnel is as high IQ as there is in the league, with guys like Parker, Duncan, Diaw, & Manu, and their system isn't nearly as complicated as the Triangle or Princeton. There's a reason that very few coaches run those offenses at any level anymore.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
B_P wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I agree with running a system, I just don't think Princeton is it. Steve Nash...arguably one of the Top 2 greatest offensive players of his generation and as high IQ as they come...complained about how intricate and pedantic Princeton was. You have a ton of reads to make, on the ball and off of it, spacing is minimized by positioning players on the wings rather than in the corners, and it's not particularly flexible. If a player misses a read (which will happen quite a bit due to the complexity of those reads), you're likely going to end up in a situation where you haven't created a shot and there's 7 seconds left on the shot clock. This is true of the Triangle as well, which is why it was only successful so long as you had one of the 2 greatest isolation players in NBA history on the team. Other than that, it was disastrous everywhere it was used. On our last title team, over 20% of our shots were generated out of isolation, one of the highest numbers in the league that year.

If we want system, basketball, San Antonio is the team to copy. Popovich has essentially taken D'Antoni's spacing principles, added weak side motion, and emphasized ball movement with his players. Atlanta used these same principles last year and made the playoffs with a woefully undermanned squad. SA's personnel is as high IQ as there is in the league, with guys like Parker, Duncan, Diaw, & Manu, and their system isn't nearly as complicated as the Triangle or Princeton. There's a reason that very few coaches run those offenses at any level anymore.

Spoken like a coach

Based on your write-up, I agree that the Princeton seems ill-fitted to this roster.

Complicating matters is that our best post player, by far, is Kobe, but Kelly is our only capable 3-point shooting big.

Hopefully Byron will be flexible in his schemes, given the fact that very few of these players will be on the team in three years.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Who other than Ryan Kelly on this team do you think could actually fit in to what SA does (ok maybe Lin)? While their system may not be as complicated it's every bit as strict and unforgiving on bad shots and overdribbling. We should just embrace who we are: iso's and post-ups.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: