Wade called Kobe : " The second best player of all time"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject:

I'm betting Lebron has 3 more titles left in him.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
In order:

KAJ
WILT
LBJ (yeah, blasphemy)
MJ
Kobe (better shooter than MJ, but not as committed on D later in career)
Magic
Russell (hey, he was surrounded by HOF)
Shaq (should be #1, but poor motor/poor work ethic robbed him)
The BIG O (averaged a triple double over a 400+ game stretch)
Mr. Spock, er, Duncan

Lebronze ahead of MJ and Magic?! g.t.f.o here.

wow that's a hell bad list. it's ridiculous.

MJ
KAJ
Wilt
Kobe
Magic
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

he easily has several more Finals appearances left in him. 3 titles may be difficult, though.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject:

Wade is brilliant at starting GOAT discussions on web boards everywhere.

OK lessee....

Magic
Wilt
MJ
Kobe
Russell
Kareem
Duncan

LeBron might be 8th by now.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
I love Kobe but he isn't 2nd greatest player of all time. Top 5 though for sure.

that's your opinion, but i find kobe to be the most skilled and complete basketball player of all time.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Lebron has plenty of "titles left in him" because he doesn't mind running off to join the next great thing. Kobe would still have titles left in him as well if he was willing to run off and join the spurs. No different then going to a park and playing, some people want fair teams, some people like playing on stacked teams.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject:

I have been watching basketball since 1980 and I've never seen a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant. By that I mean a player that could play the game in any era, dominate and have team success without the rules being changed in his favor. The only other players I would put into this category are Wilt, Russell, Magic, Kareem and Bird. To me these five players along with Kobe; could play any era, any rules and be absolutely dominant in the game.

Some people may argue with this list. I have no problem with that. If you are one of these people please consider this before rebutting: Were the rules changed to stop the dominance of your greatest players or changed to enhance the dominance of your favorite players? The players I have listed were all the targets of rule changes in the game to curb how dominant they were and allow a more consistent level of competition through the NBA game.

Almost every rule in the game that has shaped our game was created to stop Wilt and Russell. Goaltending on the rim, then cylinder area, not moving off the free throw line until the ball hits the rim, not jumping from the free throw line to score on a free throw, the three seconds in the key lane rule and on and on. Plus these guys were flat out bad ass athletes for any era.

Kareem gets overlooked because he is such an original. He played against everyone on this list except for Kobe. He played a power position with finesse, grace, skill, power and intelligence and he did it for 2 decades! He has titles, MVPs, records in the NCAA and NBA. And when the NCAA outlaws dunking to stop you, you're one bad (hush your mouth!).

Magic and Bird changed the landscape of professional basketball. It was a dying game in the eyes of America until they came around. They effected how people viewed the game in their college year(s) and Carrie that throughout their careers. Not only were they cornerstones in resurrecting their franchises but they invigorated the world's desire to watch the game. Also, the palming rule was rehashed for Magic while the 3 point line was moved back for Bird. Bird had info it range so it was a joke of a rule change towards him, but surely had an effect on other players.

Now Kobe. He is the best all around player I have ever seen. I have watched him play the dominant player and the co-dominant player. He can attack the rim, post up, pass, shoot, dribble with both hands, score on anyone and shut down just about anyone. Then add in his intangibles of playing through pain, longevity, adversity at an extremely high level. The current NBA is basically full of clones of three players in my opinion. That would be Pippen, Garnett and Kobe. Look around and you'll see a lot of guys who look like Pippen and Garnett, but the only true Kobe gamer is Kobe. These young players can't match his physical game, but they try to pattern themselves after him mentally and for me, that is a great thing for the NBA.

The rule change to stop Kobe was the zone defense. When it occurred most of people thought it was put in to stop Shaq and that is half true because they were a dominant duo and the focus was on Shaq. Reality is no zone could really stop Shaq. It would slow him down because he would see the ball less, but he operated so close to the rim and was so powerful that when motivated he would dominate. In fact, he's not on this list because he simply chose not to dominate for so many years AND the NBA looked the other way on his offensive 3 seconds and fouls (bullying through smaller defenders with great defensive position). The zone was created to stop Kobe. He simply couldn't be defended. Forget the 81 point game. The 62 he put on Dallas in 3 quarters is the scariest thing I have ever seen against a high level team. That Dallas team went to the Finals (and got jobbed by Stern after Cuban ran onto the floor to celebrate their game 1 victory). By this time Popovich had already told the world he respected Shaq, but they game planned to stop Kobe and everyone laughed. The zone allows teams to stack defenders in layers vs Kobe. I mean 3 layers. The original defender, the two waiting for him once he blasted by the original defender and the defender at the rim waiting for him once he beat those 3. Kobe countered by going down low or passing to a big man who could handle the passes and finish (Pau). He destroyed Orlando's zone in the 2010 Finals with Dwight as the anchor of their defense by scoring at least 29 points and having 8 assist each game.

Ok. That's enough from me.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

Wade has said this before so I'm not sure of the reason for the psychoanalysis by some of you. Sometimes it's really as simple as the guy means what he says.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

Addicus wrote:
<snip>

Over the past two years I've added what I found to be the best posts to a small txt file. There's only about 10 or so in there, but I'm adding this one. Thanks for this excellent post.
Pgforlife
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject:

CHRISTYLE70 wrote:
My eyeball test agrees with Wade and these eyeballs have been fixated on Bball since the 70s Ive only seen one player that I would put ahead of Kobe and thats Mj even though Magic is my favorite Laker of all time. Kobes skill level on offense and defense is ahead of Magic. Magic had the intangibles.

Magic had the edge on offense on both of them. Coming down the court with the ball, there was no one as feared as Magic. It was like he was teleporting passes at times. And one of Magic's intangibles was that he was a champion from birth. He was destined for greatness. My favorite player of all time.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

I wonder where Wade considers himself on the all-time list then. "Hey if Kobe's second and I'm the third greatest SG of all-time (according to Marc Jackson) that's gotta mean..."
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

CHRISTYLE70 wrote:
My eyeball test agrees with Wade and these eyeballs have been fixated on Bball since the 70s Ive only seen one player that I would put ahead of Kobe and thats Mj even though Magic is my favorite Laker of all time. Kobes skill level on offense and defense is ahead of Magic. Magic had the intangibles.

Did you see Oscar play much? I wonder how much he gets screwed on these all-times lists just because the league was so underexposed back then. Unless you lived in Milwaukee it seems your chances of seeing him play were very minimal.
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

Addicus wrote:
I have been watching basketball since 1980 and I've never seen a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant. By that I mean a player that could play the game in any era, dominate and have team success without the rules being changed in his favor. The only other players I would put into this category are Wilt, Russell, Magic, Kareem and Bird. To me these five players along with Kobe; could play any era, any rules and be absolutely dominant in the game.

Some people may argue with this list. I have no problem with that. If you are one of these people please consider this before rebutting: Were the rules changed to stop the dominance of your greatest players or changed to enhance the dominance of your favorite players? The players I have listed were all the targets of rule changes in the game to curb how dominant they were and allow a more consistent level of competition through the NBA game.

Almost every rule in the game that has shaped our game was created to stop Wilt and Russell. Goaltending on the rim, then cylinder area, not moving off the free throw line until the ball hits the rim, not jumping from the free throw line to score on a free throw, the three seconds in the key lane rule and on and on. Plus these guys were flat out bad ass athletes for any era.

Kareem gets overlooked because he is such an original. He played against everyone on this list except for Kobe. He played a power position with finesse, grace, skill, power and intelligence and he did it for 2 decades! He has titles, MVPs, records in the NCAA and NBA. And when the NCAA outlaws dunking to stop you, you're one bad (hush your mouth!).

Magic and Bird changed the landscape of professional basketball. It was a dying game in the eyes of America until they came around. They effected how people viewed the game in their college year(s) and Carrie that throughout their careers. Not only were they cornerstones in resurrecting their franchises but they invigorated the world's desire to watch the game. Also, the palming rule was rehashed for Magic while the 3 point line was moved back for Bird. Bird had info it range so it was a joke of a rule change towards him, but surely had an effect on other players.

Now Kobe. He is the best all around player I have ever seen. I have watched him play the dominant player and the co-dominant player. He can attack the rim, post up, pass, shoot, dribble with both hands, score on anyone and shut down just about anyone. Then add in his intangibles of playing through pain, longevity, adversity at an extremely high level. The current NBA is basically full of clones of three players in my opinion. That would be Pippen, Garnett and Kobe. Look around and you'll see a lot of guys who look like Pippen and Garnett, but the only true Kobe gamer is Kobe. These young players can't match his physical game, but they try to pattern themselves after him mentally and for me, that is a great thing for the NBA.

The rule change to stop Kobe was the zone defense. When it occurred most of people thought it was put in to stop Shaq and that is half true because they were a dominant duo and the focus was on Shaq. Reality is no zone could really stop Shaq. It would slow him down because he would see the ball less, but he operated so close to the rim and was so powerful that when motivated he would dominate. In fact, he's not on this list because he simply chose not to dominate for so many years AND the NBA looked the other way on his offensive 3 seconds and fouls (bullying through smaller defenders with great defensive position). The zone was created to stop Kobe. He simply couldn't be defended. Forget the 81 point game. The 62 he put on Dallas in 3 quarters is the scariest thing I have ever seen against a high level team. That Dallas team went to the Finals (and got jobbed by Stern after Cuban ran onto the floor to celebrate their game 1 victory). By this time Popovich had already told the world he respected Shaq, but they game planned to stop Kobe and everyone laughed. The zone allows teams to stack defenders in layers vs Kobe. I mean 3 layers. The original defender, the two waiting for him once he blasted by the original defender and the defender at the rim waiting for him once he beat those 3. Kobe countered by going down low or passing to a big man who could handle the passes and finish (Pau). He destroyed Orlando's zone in the 2010 Finals with Dwight as the anchor of their defense by scoring at least 29 points and having 8 assist each game.

Excellent post.. Kobe can be argued as GOAT. Only thing stoppin that from being a common notion is media and marketing. Jordan entered the league at a perfect time, right when marketing took off. Stern made him his child and turned him into the nba's brand. Kobe came in during an era where stern was trying to market various players as icons as opposed to just one, like he did with Jordan. To make matters worse, the rape trial killed Kobe's marketability, forever hindering his stature in the public eye and stopping him from ever having the chance of the media push Jordan got. Lebron is the only other player to get a push by the NBA and media that could compare to Jordan's.. And even then, Jordan's push was much stronger. Kobe's lack of marketability and nba branding has caused the sheeple to overlook his greatness... Just surprised to see that those sheep make up a good portion of this forum.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

sandeezy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
In order:

KAJ
WILT
LBJ (yeah, blasphemy)
MJ
Kobe (better shooter than MJ, but not as committed on D later in career)
Magic
Russell (hey, he was surrounded by HOF)
Shaq (should be #1, but poor motor/poor work ethic robbed him)
The BIG O (averaged a triple double over a 400+ game stretch)
Mr. Spock, er, Duncan

One of the worst top 10 lists I've ever seen in my life.
Clearly he is trolling, no one can be so.... Wait can't insult anyone. Have a happy day.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

Dwayne Wade is a has been. Enough said.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

Hmmm..did wade mean kobe was the 2nd best of all time on his list that he played against?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
I happen to think stylistic preference comes into play as well. If one prefers to witness dominance on sheer athletic talent, then they probably have players like Wilt, Shaq, Jordan, and Lebron atop their list.

I have always valued graceful agile skill over brute athletic dominance, so players like Magic, Kobe, Kareem, and Olajuwon are my favorites, and in my (entirely subjective, as is everyone's who puts Jordan ahead of Kareem) opinion, "better."

I'd also probably put Bird in that group, if he weren't a Celtic

Yep. It pretty much boils down to:

Would you skip the birth of your child if you got a call at halftime and "Insert Player" was in the middle of doing something truly amazing?

Magics 1st finals "Kareem Standin" game?

Kareem's game setting the scoring mark?

Jordan's "I'm gonna puke" game?

Barkleys ? Ahem, I don't know which game is legendary?

Lebron's? Ahem, I don't know which game is legendary?

Wilt's 100 pt game?

Birds? Ahem, I don't know which game is legendary?

Kobe's outscoring Dallas through 3 qtrs?

Kobe's 81 pt comeback?

Kobe's Shaqless Overtime barrage of 3pointers against Portland?

Kobe's streak of 50 point games?

Kobe's setting the 3 point record game?

Any of those games that players around the league were glued to the TV in their locker rooms watching Kobe in amazement right before the tipoff of their own games?

Russell's 10th championship game?

Dr J's? Ahem, I don't know which game is legendary?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
I love Kobe but he isn't 2nd greatest player of all time. Top 5 though for sure.

that's your opinion, but i find kobe to be the most skilled and complete basketball player of all time.

that's your opinion, but i disagree
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

EddieJonesss wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
I happen to think stylistic preference comes into play as well. If one prefers to witness dominance on sheer athletic talent, then they probably have players like Wilt, Shaq, Jordan, and Lebron atop their list.

I have always valued graceful agile skill over brute athletic dominance, so players like Magic, Kobe, Kareem, and Olajuwon are my favorites, and in my (entirely subjective, as is everyone's who puts Jordan ahead of Kareem) opinion, "better."

I'd also probably put Bird in that group, if he weren't a Celtic

You've got a great quote in your sig, but an extra "how"!

Thanks! Funny to think it's been like that since 30 seconds after he said it on national TV. Fixed now!

"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject:

If u play basketball, u would know how skilled kobe is at it, maybe even more than mj, but since it is a team game, kobe can be ball hogging at times, I would put him after mj and magic because they are better leaders.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

No way. He'll likely never have teammates who can fill the role of glorified role players as good as Wade, Bosh and Allen. He'll likely never have a coach/GM combo as good as Riles and Spolestra. That group was 2-4 and were real close to being 1-4 in finals.

Being in the east he'll get there a few more times though I guess.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I guess Wade never saw Russ, Wilt or Kareem play.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I guess Wade never saw Russ, Wilt or Kareem play.

What's your list? Top 10.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject:

MJ
Wilt
Russ
Cap
Magic
Havlicek
Duncan
Kobe
Bird
Oscar
West
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Dwade is alike a jilted GF, she used to tell all her friends how great the BF was, but now he left her, she telling friends how BF X was better than him. Dwade is trying not to be bitter in public, but make no mistake he is...#ShotsFired!!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22
Jump to: