OFFICIAL BYRON SCOTT HEAD COACH THREAD!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

I love having a coach that really emphasizes what it means to be a Laker. That's something that a lot of other coaches just can't do.

The guy bleeds purple and gold.

Also, he's going to put it on the team to know that his buddies like Magic, Worthy, Coop, etc... are all watching and they will be seriously peeved if this crew doesn't have the pride to go out there and compete hard every night.

I just wonder who the ass-kicking player is going to be when Kobe is retired. Who else has that kind of intensity and the power to hold everyone else accountable?

The Showtime Lakers has Cooper to do it, so it doesn't have to be one of the stars. It just has to be someone that consistently works hard and is willing to get in the faces of those that don't.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I love having a coach that really emphasizes what it means to be a Laker. That's something that a lot of other coaches just can't do.

The guy bleeds purple and gold.

Also, he's going to put it on the team to know that his buddies like Magic, Worthy, Coop, etc... are all watching and they will be seriously peeved if this crew doesn't have the pride to go out there and compete hard every night.

I just wonder who the ass-kicking player is going to be when Kobe is retired. Who else has that kind of intensity and the power to hold everyone else accountable?

The Showtime Lakers has Cooper to do it, so it doesn't have to be one of the stars. It just has to be someone that consistently works hard and is willing to get in the faces of those that don't.

Very nice post my sentiments exactly. People don't put enough value in the pride factor. Byron will give it his all not to fail and I think the Lakers will eventually realize he's going to be their long term coach. Someone who's proud of that uniform and understands what it means to be a Laker. Add opposed to bringing a college coach with no experience or a retread (as some here use the term) with no previous Laker affiliation.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

since november 2012 we have agreed to pay almost 50 million in salary to 3 different coaches.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
since november 2012 we have agreed to pay almost 50 million in salary to 3 different coaches.

(bleep) hilarious.

There's this one scenario back in May 2012 where I could imagine Jim going up to his dad and saying, "See Dad? We paid that "holier-than-thou" (bleep) Phil Jackson $8million last year and he flamed out in the 2nd round. Mike Brown only cost us $4million and he got the same results. Don't worry Dad! We have it goooooooooood now."
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
TheSource666 wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
WOX_69 wrote:
I will say this, Scott is LA friendly. He won't get the heat that Mike Brown or Mike D'Antoni got, regardless of how the team does. That's good for the team since there will be less drama on that front.

I agree, and believe that his being an old Showtime Laker is what made him a favorite all along. He has a lot of equity with the fans. The team will suck. However, I'm sure that Jim Buss does not want that to result in immediate pressure on Scott, and more specifically, the HIRING of Scott - i.e. the decision itself, since Buss has sucked at that.

On the other hand, while Scott will probably get the benefit of the doubt from fans, this puts more of the attention squarely on the roster, and how much IT sucks.

Our roster is so terrible anti-tankers will quickly realize this.

So the lineup is worse than starting Kendall Marshall, Pau Gasol, Ryan Kelly, Jodie Meeks and Wes Johnson? Because that was the lineup that got the most minutes last season, and they still only got the #7 pick.

Which lineup?
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

mastersworddude wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
All i have to say is why can't they just hand out 2 year contracts to coaches? We seem to discard them every 2 years!!!! Scott aside, i am excited about the season mainly because MDA is no longer the coach!!! That for me is a big improvement. We lost Pau, Farmar, Jodie, and Marshall, we got some good players back in Boozer, Lin, Randle. If we can just round out with one more PG and Matrix, I will be happy. That's not a championship team, but that's a team that will compete and not give up 145 points a night!!!

No coach will take a 2 year deal, especially a bad team

There are coaches who would take a 2-year deal. Not any of the marquee ones, but they exist. IMO, this team is going to suck so bad, they should have probably made a cheap 2-year hire. However, Byron Scott is not one of those coaches who would have accepted that.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I love having a coach that really emphasizes what it means to be a Laker.

I'm pretty sure this is what the front office was counting on with this hire. (Which is not to say that he's not also a good coach.)
KLS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Will he coach the Lakers to an unexpected playoff berth?

Coach Scott knows the proud tradition of the Lakers. He was one of them during the glory years. He will not settle to coach to tank for next season. We won't have Showtime nor Kobe/Shag show again but Scott does have good coaching experience and his pride for the franchise shouldn't allow him to coach for mediocrity.

If he intends to coach to make playoff, is that really possible for this year's roster? There should be some chance. I compare a much lesser coach McHale in Houston and what that team did 2 years ago, playing with a new team with whole bunch of no names except Harden (perhaps Lin due to his Linsanity). This situation is similar in LA this year. A team with whole bunch of new guys and anchored by a superstar Kobe. If you match each position, this year's Lakers is not inferior to Houston 2 years ago. Kobe can score 22-25 a game. He is, even at his age, a much better defender than Harden. Lin is more mature. Swaggy P is not far from Parson. Randle/Boozer much better than the no name PFs of Houston 2 years ago, Asik was purely a defensive center but not a good P&R big. So Hill & company should be able to match his performance. That leaves coaching. Scott is mile better than McHale in coaching defense and team play. If he coaches with intensity & authority, he can make the Lakers play more team ball with ball movement. Don't count Coach Scott's team out of the playoff contention. He has too much pride in the franchise to let Lakers play with mediocrity, or worse, with the intention to tank.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Scott has had a history of being able to coach a winning team and being able to develop players.

It is a safe hire for sure. But not a bad hire. Brown and D'Antoni were swing for the fences type of hires. Scott seems like he'd be receptive to the FO because he has a strong relationship with them, which is a huge difference from D'Antoni who seemed to have a preference for playing "his" guys rather than the players the FO might have wanted to develop i.e Hill.

I'm not excited for the hire, but I do love Scott and I want him to succeed whereas I was indifferent to Brown and D'Antoni.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
I love having a coach that really emphasizes what it means to be a Laker.

I'm pretty sure this is what the front office was counting on with this hire. (Which is not to say that he's not also a good coach.)

Byron and Robert had their pride tied to the uniforn last year moreso than our own head coach. We would give up 130-140 points. Horry and Scott, pissed. Dantoni, could care less.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Announce Hiring of Byron Scott as Head Coach

EL SEGUNDO – The Los Angeles Lakers have signed Byron Scott to a multi-year contract as head coach, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not released.

“After an extensive and thorough search, we’re proud to welcome Byron back to the Lakers family as our next head coach,” said Kupchak. “Byron has proven himself at the highest levels of the game as both a player and a coach in his almost 30 years of NBA experience. His leadership skills and track record for success make him the ideal person to lead this franchise forward.”

“I am ecstatic to once again be a Laker and to have the opportunity to work alongside Mitch and the Buss family,” said Scott. “I know firsthand what it takes to bring a championship to this city, and as someone who both grew up in L.A. and played the majority of my career here, I know how passionate and dedicated our fans are. I will give everything I have to fulfill the championship expectations that our supporters have for us, and that we have for ourselves.”

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/140728byronscott_headcoach?cid=TW
TruLaker4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject:

This off season
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject:

I like this hiring... hopefully, fans will just quit complaining at the first signs of mistakes and weaknesses and actually let Scott develop a team.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Pgforlife
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Forget all the naysayers! I have a feeling Byron's gonna instill Lakers pride in all our youngsters and make some noise this year. Yeah, I said it. This year!! Byron runs a pg-centric offense, sprinkled with Princeton and D'Antoni-esque sets with Kobe as the bail out just as we used to do in the Triangle. It's perfect. It utilizes Lin/Nash and Boozer/Kobe to the max and our defense is gonna be so much better than you can expect. I'm pumped. Can't wait for the season to start. Go Lakers!!
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I expect this current team to make some noise. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the season this team actually starts looking scary good. People may be dumbfounded by how well the Lakers do.

We'll be there in the mix for #6 seed. One spot ahead of the Rockets.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Paul Pressey is gonna be on Byron's staff. Pressey was a 3 time All Defensive Team. So he's gonna be the Lakers' defensive coach instead of Gary Payton? I guess that means GP will be reunited with Jason Kidd and be part of his staff in Milwaukee.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 1m

How will Byron Scott fill out coaching staff? I'm told by several that Paul Pressey & Thomas Scott (Byron's son) are at top of the list

https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/493966656276676611

Quote:
Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 54s

Paul Pressey was assistant under Scott in New Orleans & Cleveland. Byron's son, Thomas, was asst coach w/ D-Fenders

https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/493967241839276032

Interesting. Byron's son could be part of his coaching staff.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:

How will Byron Scott fill out coaching staff? I'm told by several that Paul Pressey & Thomas Scott (Byron's son) are at top of the list

Quote:

Paul Pressey was assistant under Scott in New Orleans & Cleveland. Byron's son, Thomas, was asst coach w/ D-Fenders

His son? We had MDA bring his brother and now Scott bringing his son? Not happy about that at all.

They better not let Madsen go!!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

lol... why did he pick his own son?
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

His son? We had MDA bring his brother and now Scott bringing his son? Not happy about that at all.

did u even see his credentials before rejecting him outright? come on now.

Last edited by Jim99187 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:

Wherever Madsen goes, hopefully it won't be too far. Seems that the organization will find a way to keep him around, at worst they might have him spend more time in El Segundo with the D-Fenders in case he's not on Scott's staff.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject:

nooooooo....i want GP, Cooper or Kareem!
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

What's Presseys specialty
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

did u even see his credentials before rejecting him outright? come on now.

what's his son's credentials? I'm curious as well.
it's always gonna raise eyebrows every time the boss hires his own, pretty understandable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 7 of 24
Jump to: