LeBron James to go back to No. 23 for the Cavaliers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: LeBron James to go back to No. 23 for the Cavaliers

Good news for the Cavs fans that didn't burn his jersey for those that did

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11271524/lebron-james-go-back-no-23-cleveland-cavaliers-return

Quote:
LeBron James to go back to No. 23

LeBron James will be back wearing the No. 23 for his return to the Cleveland Cavaliers next season.

James announced his decision Sunday on his Instagram account and also shared the link on his Twitter account.

Earlier this month. James had asked his Twitter followers for their input on whether he should continue to wear the No. 6, which he wore with the Miami Heat, or return to the No. 23 he wore when he last played with the Cavaliers.

[+] EnlargeLeBron James
AP Images/Mark Duncan
LeBron James will be returning to the No. 23 when he puts his Cavaliers jersey back on next season.
Sources told ESPN.com's Darren Rovell earlier this month that James was also considering No. 32, which he wore his freshman year of high school when 23 wasn't available.

James wore No. 23 from his sophomore year in high school through the 2009-10 season, his last with the Cavaliers.

He changed to No. 6, the number he wore for the Olympics, when he went to the Miami Heat, saying he thought all players should give up No. 23 so that Michael Jordan could be honored league-wide.

"I just think what Michael Jordan has done for the game has to be recognized in some way -- soon," James said in March 2010. "If you see 23, you think about Michael Jordan. You see guys flying through the air, you think about Michael Jordan. You see game-winning shots, you think about Michael Jordan. You see fly kicks, you think about Michael Jordan. He did so much, it has to be recognized, and not just by putting him in the Hall of Fame."
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

this tool switched to #6 because he said #23 should be retired by every team in the league and now he is wearing 23 again? lol
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject:

So when Lebron went to Miami he took on the #6 jersey; didn't Lebron proposed to have the #23 be retired from all basketball in honor of Michael Jordan?
Azarian
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

maybe after winning a couple Final MVP's, he finally figured out who Bill Russell was
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

what a maroon.... at this point I feel like LeBron can do whatever he wants and pple will love him for it...

hes like the chris brown of basketball
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
this tool switched to #6 because he said #23 should be retired by every team in the league and now he is wearing 23 again? lol

Yep.

To Cav fans, I hear your owner will be giving out one of these:

http://www.associatedfire.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/IMG_0936.jpg
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is an unintentional parody of himself.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Jackobe wrote:

Yep.

To Cav fans, I hear your owner will be giving out one of these:

http://www.associatedfire.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/IMG_0936.jpg

To be fair, he couldn't have even worn #23 with the Heat to begin with. The Heat have MJ's # retired (along with Dan Marino). Stupid. I know.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject:

The Cavs changed their jerseys after Lebron left the first time so anyone hopping back on his return home bandwagon will probably buy the new one.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:

I don't think he's listening to Pat Riley anymore
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Greatest number change of all time. Hands down.

!...
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject:

Was this how other fans felt about Kobe? Because I really dislike lebron
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:

Kobe changed it once...there wasn't much discussion of it, and that was that. No comments on Jordan, no drama....just, "It's the halfway point of my career, I'm changing my number to the number I wore as a freshman"

With LeBron, a jersey number change is a point of high drama and speculation. Next he'll be keeping the world on its toes about which brand of toilet paper he prefers.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject:

Kobe should switch back to #8
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject:

What happened to all that jazz about retiring 23 all across the league blah blah blah.....this guy is unbelievable.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Kobe changed it once...there wasn't much discussion of it, and that was that. No comments on Jordan, no drama....just, "It's the halfway point of my career, I'm changing my number to the number I wore as a freshman"

With LeBron, a jersey number change is a point of high drama and speculation. Next he'll be keeping the world on its toes about which brand of toilet paper he prefers.

Actually there was because many wondered why and thought he was doing it for jersey sales, one up Jordan etc but unlike LeBron he didn't make a big deal about a number being retired and then turn around and go back to that number.

And like you said didn't turn it into some major drama.
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
What happened to all that jazz about retiring 23 all across the league blah blah blah.....this guy is unbelievable.

"Now, if I'm not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it." - LeBron James

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4650907
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

"Now, if I'm not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it." - LeBron James

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4650907
He needs to get over himself.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

He probably changed his mind about all teams retiring that number after Jordan said that Kobe was better.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

Azarian wrote:
maybe after winning a couple Final MVP's, he finally figured out who Bill Russell was

He always knew that Russell was the old guy who handed out trophies.. Not sure if he knows the old guys used to play basketball too.
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

Only seems right to go back to #23 for the Cavs. It's an indication of unfinished business, and it also simplifies which number they have to retire someday.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
He probably changed his mind about all teams retiring that number after Jordan said that Kobe was better.

I can believe this.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/28/michael-jordan-approves-of-lebron-james-wearing-no-23-once-again/

Quote:
Michael Jordan approves of LeBron James wearing No. 23 once again

When LeBron James changed his jersey number from 23 to 6 upon joining the Miami Heat four years ago, he said (at the urging of Pat Riley) that he did so to honor Michael Jordan, and that if he was no longer going to wear 23, no one should.

Obviously, things have changed.

James has chosen to return to wearing 23 in his second stint with the Cavaliers, but Jordan himself has no hard feelings toward James for going back on his word.

From Chris Broussard of ESPN.com:

“I’m cool with it,” Jordan told ESPN.com via text message Monday morning. “I don’t own a number.” …

“I just think what Michael Jordan has done for the game has to be recognized some way soon,” James, who had worn No, 23 since his sophomore year in high school, said at the time. “There would be no LeBron James, no Kobe Bryant, no Dwyane Wade if there wasn’t Michael Jordan first.

“He can’t get the logo, and if he can’t, something has to be done. I feel like no NBA player should wear 23. I’m starting a petition, and I’ve got to get everyone in the NBA to sign it. Now, if I’m not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it.”

This easily could have turned into one of those fake controversies that I’m not going to link to, but that can occasionally become all-encompassing in today’s sports news cycle.

Thankfully, Jordan himself doesn’t care — so now we don’t have to pretend to, either.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

http://www.ibj.com/the-score-2014-07-28-lebrons-latest-decision-sends-indy-plant-into-action/PARAMS/post/48780

Quote:
Shortly after 1 p.m., James got the message out on social media (he also tweeted it) that he has chosen to wear No. 23 next season and, within minutes, Adidas officials confirmed they were setting up all 20 printing machines at the company’s Indianapolis licensing unit to crank out James replica jerseys and T-shirts bearing the player’s name and number. …

The presses in Indianapolis were running off James gear by 6 p.m. Normally, this time of year, the Indianapolis Adidas plant would be printing about six different runs, including general NBA merchandise, college football and Major League Soccer items. In addition to those things, local plant officials said items for two international soccer teams—Argentina and Germany—and World Cup soccer items had to be set aside to focus on James shirts and jerseys.

This week marked the first time the entire Indianapolis plant was dedicated to making items of a single player since Brett Favre joined the Minnesota Vikings in 2009.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
what a maroon.... at this point I feel like LeBron can do whatever he wants and pple will love him for it...

hes like the chris brown of basketball

What do you have against the color maroon?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: