Having a debate... More IMPACTFUL Laker... Pau or Worthy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Voices"][quote="allNet"]
Triple Double wrote:

could you imagine Gasol playing in the eighties and the physical play. He would disappear.

He'd probably look similar to Kareem. If the same standards were applied that are applied to Gasol, fans today would be calling KAJ soft.
KLS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Worthy is a much faster player in attacking. In terms of tearing down the defense of the opponent, Worthy is it. Paul is a slow elephant compare to the leopard Worthy.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
allNet wrote:
Triple Double wrote:
To those picking Worthy (and it's not even close?), I'm sure you saw how Magic gave James most of his points. Yes, he played hard, especiallin big games (remember the Dive?), but c'mon now. A huge hunk of his points were dunk courtesy of Earvin's passing.

Actually what I remember seeing the most from Worthy was him posting up on the baseline doing his patented quick spin move or turn around jumper.

Suggesting Worthy couldn't score on his own is disingenuous.

Worthy speed was special as well, he filled the lanes faster than any sf ever, that enable him to get the easy baskets, he would outrun the defense.

Also, could you imagine Gasol playing in the eighties and the physical play. He would disappear.

Vintage Worthy flying in from the wing off the pass from Magic was Showtime Lakers personified.

Worthy was a full grown man when the Lakers got him because he had played 3 years of college as a star player at North Carolina against great competition.

People forget now how big, fast and amazingly athletic on the break Big Game James Worthy was....it is no disrespect to Pau, he is a great player but James Worthy in prime mode wheeling and dealing on the baseline, sick!
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Voices wrote:
allNet wrote:
Triple Double wrote:
To those picking Worthy (and it's not even close?), I'm sure you saw how Magic gave James most of his points. Yes, he played hard, especiallin big games (remember the Dive?), but c'mon now. A huge hunk of his points were dunk courtesy of Earvin's passing.

Actually what I remember seeing the most from Worthy was him posting up on the baseline doing his patented quick spin move or turn around jumper.

Worthy speed was special as well, he filled the lanes faster than any sf ever, that enable him to get the easy baskets, he would outrun the defense.

Also, could you imagine Gasol playing in the eighties and the physical play. He would disappear.

I hear that a lot but I sure don't see it when I watch those old tapes. They allowed players to get away with flagrants and some perimeter hand checking, but the day to day banging in the post, running players through multiple screens, rotating on D to contest drives and using your body on O and D is much more physical today than the 80s. Not even close, really. McHale and Parish look alomst polite.

Bill Lambier, Rick Mahon, Kurt Rambis, Moses Malone, Dennis Rodman, Maurice Lucas, Bill Walton, Bird was physical and so was McHale, Parish, Malone, Alonzo Mourning, Patrick Ewing...........

A common argument to those that did not live or watch games of the eighties or before is I watched tape and did not see whatever the subject is.

I watched games in person from the 70's to now and there is no question the game was far more physical in 70's and eighties.

Who is your fav all time player?

I watched during the same span, so believe me that the tapes are more accurate than our memories. In the 70s I lived in Phoenix and watched Truck Robinson, Alvin Adams, and Paul Westphal, but my favorite was Walter Davis. So smooth. I moved to LA in 81, started playing competitively, went to some to summer camps, met a few Lakers, watched the games and fell in love with the purple and gold. Kareem, Wilkes, Nixon, Magic, Worthy, AC, MT, Byron et al, but Coop was who I watched most closely. His grit, effort and all around game is what I most related to as a player, but watching him play defense was my inspiration. After a play, my coach told me that I reminded him of Cooper, which was the single best basketball compliment of my life.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject:

This is one of those debates for which people can go round and round and round. Worthy was a 6'9" SF in a time when a lot of PFs were only 6'8" or so. Despite never being a major rebounder, Worthy nonetheless was an intimidating presence on the court, providing the sort of size-speed ratio that no one had ever seen.

Worthy arguably extended Kareem's career by 2-4 years. Worthy gave Magic a reliable target on the break who could catch the ball from the extended-free-throw line in, and dribble well enough to finish with either hand. As Wilkes retired, and as the Lakers lacked any athletic front-court players beyond Kareem and McAdoo in the mid 80s (and both over the age of 30), this likely allowed Kareem to be more effective on D as opposing bigs had to scramble back to cover Worthy.

Without Worthy, the Showtime break would not be nearly as effective. Coop and Scott were both excellent finishers, but they were only 6-7 and 6-4, respectively. Both could dunk, and both could pull-up, but the effect of having a 6-9, 225 to 235-lb forward barreling down the lane or off the wing can't be underestimated.

Moreover, Worthy would be a rarity in today's NBA, as an effective, occasionally dominant low-post player capable of running the break with speed and efficiency. Although he often pivoted out of the post to set-up face-front iso moves, he also had an underrated arsenal of fakes, spins, and counters that no other small forward today can come close to having. For all of Worthy's devastating effect on the break, his low-post acumen kept the team competitive in the playoffs, especially in 1988, when Kareem could no longer put up 30 and 15 games every other night.

By the same vein, Pau Gasol's impact should not be undersold either. Pau arguably extended Kobe's career by 3-5 years both by (a) cementing the Lakers as a half-court team and (b) allowing Kobe the freedom to not play 36+ minutes and have to score 30+ points every night.

Pau was the poster-boy for the triangle/ triple-post/ read-and-react offense. Shaq was more dominant within 8 feet of the basket, of course. But for all of Shaq's supposed passing skills, his "skills" rarely required more than dishing to an open man while he was triple-teamed. Pau was not dominant, but from 2008-2010, he was well-above-average reliable. And his passing was not merely on kick-outs, but on the elusive "pass to set up the pass" plays which put opponents' heads on swivels from 2008-2010, with Pau, Odom, and Walton orchestrating the half-court ball movement.

Odom also flourished in the triangle, but for all of his gifts, he was NEVER a consistent low-post player. The trade that brought Grant, Butler, and Odom to the Lakers in exchange for Shaq was one-sided not in terms of talent, but skills, as there wasn't as single low-post player in that entire bunch. For practically forever, playoff teams have needed an effective low-post scorer to survive. Without one, Kobe's Laker teams went nowhere from 2004 to 2008.

Pau made teammates better. Odom's lack of post game was forgotten, and his rebounding and Swiss Army knife game benefited. Fish's game was similarly extended, as Pau's slow-down game let Fish be an effective starter well past his physical prime. Bynum was afforded the luxury of a career, as Pau carried the low-post load that Bynum likely could not have carried even if healthy in 2008. Players like Ariza, Sasha, and even Artest reaped the benefits of a reliable low-post big freeing up space for their perimeter shots.

Quite simply, though, Pau brought SKILLS that complemented Kobe PERFECTLY. Excellent passing and ball-handling for a big, without sacrificing the scoring and rebounding or defense (with 1.5 to 1.8 blks a game, that was enough) expected of a big. No 3-point range, but enough to hit from 18 feet and open up passing and cutting lanes for Kobe, Odom, et al.

BOTH of these guys had enormous impact on the team, and on the league. Worthy's rise helped make the Showtime Lakers a dynasty after crushing Finals losses in 1983 and 1984. Pau's presence rejuvenated the 2000s Lakers and led to defeats of both the young-gun Magic and the old-and-ornery Celtics, shutting down their attempt at a Big 3 reign before they could ever get started.

BOTH have earned accolades and eternal Laker respect. No doubt, no question, no mistake.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

[quote="MickMgl"][quote="Voices"]
allNet wrote:
Triple Double wrote:

could you imagine Gasol playing in the eighties and the physical play. He would disappear.

He'd probably look similar to Kareem. If the same standards were applied that are applied to Gasol, fans today would be calling KAJ soft.

Please, mentioned KAJ in the same sentence as Gasol is almost s crime. KAJ averaged 11 rebounds and 25 points per game for 20 years.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Voices wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Voices wrote:
allNet wrote:
Triple Double wrote:

I hear that a lot but I sure don't see it when I watch those old tapes. They allowed players to get away with flagrants and some perimeter hand checking, but the day to day banging in the post, running players through multiple screens, rotating on D to contest drives and using your body on O and D is much more physical today than the 80s. Not even close, really. McHale and Parish look alomst polite.

Bill Lambier, Rick Mahon, Kurt Rambis, Moses Malone, Dennis Rodman, Maurice Lucas, Bill Walton, Bird was physical and so was McHale, Parish, Malone, Alonzo Mourning, Patrick Ewing...........

A common argument to those that did not live or watch games of the eighties or before is I watched tape and did not see whatever the subject is.

I watched games in person from the 70's to now and there is no question the game was far more physical in 70's and eighties.

Who is your fav all time player?

I watched during the same span, so believe me that the tapes are more accurate than our memories. In the 70s I lived in Phoenix and watched Truck Robinson, Alvin Adams, and Paul Westphal, but my favorite was Walter Davis. So smooth. I moved to LA in 81, started playing competitively, went to some to summer camps, met a few Lakers, watched the games and fell in love with the purple and gold. Kareem, Wilkes, Nixon, Magic, Worthy, AC, MT, Byron et al, but Coop was who I watched most closely. His grit, effort and all around game is what I most related to as a player, but watching him play defense was my inspiration. After a play, my coach told me that I reminded him of Cooper, which was the single best basketball compliment of my life.

You obviously are a basketball junkie. Truck Robinson was a beast, Westphal a USC great, and Walter Davis was fun to watch, offensive talent, but Cooper, first wish him the best, is a defensive guy that learned how to shoot the three. AND COOPER WAS A SKINNY PHYSICAL PLAYER who attended my Alma Mater Pasadena City College. Coop is an all time popular Laker.

Nice response and good story about your basketball past, but the 70's 80's were more physical
props
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Pau was a wonderful player for the Lakers.Loved he was part of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry and added to our banners, but James Worthy is my choice...
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject:

70s and 80s were nowhere close in terms of physicality to defenses today. Sure, flagrants were probably more prevalent, but on a play to play basis defenses were nowhere as refined or physical as they are today. A lot of the new physicality was learned and adapted from Pat Riley's (and later JVG's) Knicks and later the Heat and his now infamous "well, they can't call every foul" philosophy. The NBA had to actually change their hand checking rules since defenses were getting so physical and players were holding so much.

As to the original question, no real way to answer. Just depends on how you want to define a term as nebulous as "impact". I'd lean Worthy for his longer career with the Lakers and less steep decline (though that year after Magic retired was pretty ugly) but I wouldn't blame people for leaning Pau given how sharply our fortunes turned around in response to his arrival here.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject:

First thought was "Pau - he was Robin to Kobe's Batman while Worthy was Alfred to Kareem and Magic's Batman/Robin rotation."

As I went through my memory banks, however, and harken back to 86-87, I remember for all of the hype about Magic's "Jr. Skyhook" and the big comeback in Game 4, the series really came down to Worthy playing tough denial defense in crunch time on Bird and repeatedly blowing by McHale for buckets and dunks on the other end. Neither Bird nor McHale could even see Worthy - much less, guard him - but Worthy played great on both ends and he was the difference maker in that series.

In 88, Worthy was the Finals MVP. 'Nuff said.

Pau really started to decline midway through 2009-10 and he didn't have a strong playoffs - Metta was more impactful, even. So in the final analysis - Worthy wins.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject:

[Comment removed.]
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject:

James Worthy could have been a superstar like Magic and Jordan. He had that kind of ability and mental strength. But he decided that it was more important to sacrifice a siginificant amount of his game in order to help the Lakers win trophies... he played for the team. They didn't need him to dominate the ball and go 30/8/6, which he easily could have done. Kareem, Magic, Worthy and Scott needed to share the scoring and the ball, which they all did.

The guy was unbelievable. He was quicker and faster than most guards, could post anyone up, had a great midrange game, was impossible to stop on the break AND had a killer instinct.

Gasol is great no doubt. But Worthy is in a whole different category. Gasol could never be the #1 guy on a team while Worthy could have been a franchise player without a problem.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject:

[quote="Voices"][quote="MickMgl"]
Voices wrote:
allNet wrote:
Triple Double wrote:

Please, mentioned KAJ in the same sentence as Gasol is almost s crime. KAJ averaged 11 rebounds and 25 points per game for 20 years.

Not in the 80s.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
This is one of those debates for which people can go round and round and round. Worthy was a 6'9" SF in a time when a lot of PFs were only 6'8" or so. Despite never being a major rebounder, Worthy nonetheless was an intimidating presence on the court, providing the sort of size-speed ratio that no one had ever seen.

Worthy arguably extended Kareem's career by 2-4 years. Worthy gave Magic a reliable target on the break who could catch the ball from the extended-free-throw line in, and dribble well enough to finish with either hand. As Wilkes retired, and as the Lakers lacked any athletic front-court players beyond Kareem and McAdoo in the mid 80s (and both over the age of 30), this likely allowed Kareem to be more effective on D as opposing bigs had to scramble back to cover Worthy.

Without Worthy, the Showtime break would not be nearly as effective. Coop and Scott were both excellent finishers, but they were only 6-7 and 6-4, respectively. Both could dunk, and both could pull-up, but the effect of having a 6-9, 225 to 235-lb forward barreling down the lane or off the wing can't be underestimated.

Moreover, Worthy would be a rarity in today's NBA, as an effective, occasionally dominant low-post player capable of running the break with speed and efficiency. Although he often pivoted out of the post to set-up face-front iso moves, he also had an underrated arsenal of fakes, spins, and counters that no other small forward today can come close to having. For all of Worthy's devastating effect on the break, his low-post acumen kept the team competitive in the playoffs, especially in 1988, when Kareem could no longer put up 30 and 15 games every other night.

By the same vein, Pau Gasol's impact should not be undersold either. Pau arguably extended Kobe's career by 3-5 years both by (a) cementing the Lakers as a half-court team and (b) allowing Kobe the freedom to not play 36+ minutes and have to score 30+ points every night.

Pau was the poster-boy for the triangle/ triple-post/ read-and-react offense. Shaq was more dominant within 8 feet of the basket, of course. But for all of Shaq's supposed passing skills, his "skills" rarely required more than dishing to an open man while he was triple-teamed. Pau was not dominant, but from 2008-2010, he was well-above-average reliable. And his passing was not merely on kick-outs, but on the elusive "pass to set up the pass" plays which put opponents' heads on swivels from 2008-2010, with Pau, Odom, and Walton orchestrating the half-court ball movement.

Odom also flourished in the triangle, but for all of his gifts, he was NEVER a consistent low-post player. The trade that brought Grant, Butler, and Odom to the Lakers in exchange for Shaq was one-sided not in terms of talent, but skills, as there wasn't as single low-post player in that entire bunch. For practically forever, playoff teams have needed an effective low-post scorer to survive. Without one, Kobe's Laker teams went nowhere from 2004 to 2008.

Pau made teammates better. Odom's lack of post game was forgotten, and his rebounding and Swiss Army knife game benefited. Fish's game was similarly extended, as Pau's slow-down game let Fish be an effective starter well past his physical prime. Bynum was afforded the luxury of a career, as Pau carried the low-post load that Bynum likely could not have carried even if healthy in 2008. Players like Ariza, Sasha, and even Artest reaped the benefits of a reliable low-post big freeing up space for their perimeter shots.

Quite simply, though, Pau brought SKILLS that complemented Kobe PERFECTLY. Excellent passing and ball-handling for a big, without sacrificing the scoring and rebounding or defense (with 1.5 to 1.8 blks a game, that was enough) expected of a big. No 3-point range, but enough to hit from 18 feet and open up passing and cutting lanes for Kobe, Odom, et al.

BOTH of these guys had enormous impact on the team, and on the league. Worthy's rise helped make the Showtime Lakers a dynasty after crushing Finals losses in 1983 and 1984. Pau's presence rejuvenated the 2000s Lakers and led to defeats of both the young-gun Magic and the old-and-ornery Celtics, shutting down their attempt at a Big 3 reign before they could ever get started.

BOTH have earned accolades and eternal Laker respect. No doubt, no question, no mistake.

Thread ending post there.
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

I don't know if you're thinking this when you're describing Big Game James, but i'm thinking.. Julius Randle.. I believe his weight during summer league is around 220-230 as well...
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
magicdays wrote:
Lakers had already made the Finals and were champs when they acquired Worthy. The Lakers with Magic, Kareem and company were already there. The addition of Pau took the Lakers over the hump immediately--going from two straight first round losses to 3 straight Finals trips and 2 champs. Greater impact player is Pau.

Worthy was a #1 option in the post when Kareem was on his last legs.

Name another SF that equalled Kareem's FG% and scoring in the post.

Ok, Worthy was a better SF than Pau Actually, Worthy was a better player than Pau but for impact on the team, Pau is greater.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Wino wrote:
And if you are going to talk impact, I would argue that Kobe carried most of that impact. Pau is a very good player, but he has never been a star player who could carry a team. He just happened to play with one of the single most impactful players to ever lace up a basketball shoe. Certainly he is better than a guy like Kwame, Pau has some serious skills, but he is not in James class.

And the truth is, if Kobe had played with Magic and Kareem, he may not have been thought of as great as he obviously is.

Hmmm... Somehow I think you lost track of the point you were trying to make.

No, not really. On one hand, I mentioned in another post that Pau was not as good a player as Worthy. Some people discounted that and said that impact was the point. I pointed out that in this case, he was not the big impact player for the Lakers, Kobes was. He was in his prime.

The next point I was trying to make was that Worthy was being maligned for not having that much of an impact and my point was that, ON THAT TEAM, even Kobe would not have had the same opportunities to have the level of impact that he did on his team with Pau.

That Showtime team was totally stacked. Best team in the history of the game. But that team belonged to Magic and Kareem. The ONLY reason that Worthy was not considered to be one of the top 10 all time players is because he was emotionally capable of taking a bit of a back seat and being the guy who did the things the other two didn't. If Worthy would have been the ONLY #2 option on that team, I think they still would have won a number of rings and Worthy would have had a much larger legacy with people who need him to be THE REASON we won rings and not ONE OF THE REASONS we won rings.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:

No, not really. On one hand, I mentioned in another post that Pau was not as good a player as Worthy. Some people discounted that and said that impact was the point. I pointed out that in this case, he was not the big impact player for the Lakers, Kobes was. He was in his prime.

The next point I was trying to make was that Worthy was being maligned for not having that much of an impact and my point was that, ON THAT TEAM, even Kobe would not have had the same opportunities to have the level of impact that he did on his team with Pau.

That Showtime team was totally stacked. Best team in the history of the game. But that team belonged to Magic and Kareem. The ONLY reason that Worthy was not considered to be one of the top 10 all time players is because he was emotionally capable of taking a bit of a back seat and being the guy who did the things the other two didn't. If Worthy would have been the ONLY #2 option on that team, I think they still would have won a number of rings and Worthy would have had a much larger legacy with people who need him to be THE REASON we won rings and not ONE OF THE REASONS we won rings.

Actually, those are the same reasons I have to say Pau is the more impactful player. Not comparing how much they could, but how much they did. When you have #1 Kobe, #2 Pau, and you see the stacked Showtime Lakers where the Worthy was not the clear #1 nor #2 and had a more stacked team (hence, the impact of each player usually diminished), I think it's easy to find why someone like me would point at Pau as being the one with more impact. Without Worthy Showtime would still have been contenders. Without Pau, we may have seen Kobe with another team's Jersey.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Koalita wrote:
Wino wrote:

Actually, those are the same reasons I have to say Pau is the more impactful player. Not comparing how much they could, but how much they did. When you have #1 Kobe, #2 Pau, and you see the stacked Showtime Lakers where the Worthy was not the clear #1 nor #2 and had a more stacked team (hence, the impact of each player usually diminished), I think it's easy to find why someone like me would point at Pau as being the one with more impact. Without Worthy Showtime would still have been contenders. Without Pau, we may have seen Kobe with another team's Jersey.

impact on the lakers is one thing. worthy on another team he could be an even more impactful player for that team. everyone talks about how pau blended so nicely with kobe. the fact that worthy can have his "big games" is an indication that he could do that night in and night out and he didn't have to.

so you can argue the pau was more impactful for the lakers but worthy probably sacrificed and played the perfect team role for the lakers.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject:

magicdays wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
magicdays wrote:
Lakers had already made the Finals and were champs when they acquired Worthy. The Lakers with Magic, Kareem and company were already there. The addition of Pau took the Lakers over the hump immediately--going from two straight first round losses to 3 straight Finals trips and 2 champs. Greater impact player is Pau.

Worthy was a #1 option in the post when Kareem was on his last legs.

Name another SF that equalled Kareem's FG% and scoring in the post.

Ok, Worthy was a better SF than Pau Actually, Worthy was a better player than Pau but for impact on the team, Pau is greater.

Still disagree. Understand the points, but Pau never really held is own as a #1 option when Bryant was off the floor.

Worthy, did.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Triple Double
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
allNet wrote:
Triple Double wrote:

Yup. It's not like Magic deliberately gave Worthy 8 points per game on fast breaks.

Explain the other 14 points in the post with elite field goal percentage in Iso situations.

I don't understand your 1st sentence. Of course Magic deliberately gave James points.

Why must I explain Worthy's 14pts a game? Worthy's good; No doubt. I'm not saying Magic made Worthy who he is. I'm saying it must be taken into account that Worthy had the best passer in the history of the game feeding him easy buckets. While Pau definiitely benefitted from all eyes being on Kobe, it wasn't the same kind of benefit as Magic's handing Worthy the ball alone within 5 ft from the hoop.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject:

Triple Double wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
allNet wrote:
Triple Double wrote:

Yup. It's not like Magic deliberately gave Worthy 8 points per game on fast breaks.

Explain the other 14 points in the post with elite field goal percentage in Iso situations.

I don't understand your 1st sentence. Of course Magic deliberately gave James points.

Why must I explain Worthy's 14pts a game? Worthy's good; No doubt. I'm not saying Magic made Worthy who he is. I'm saying it must be taken into account that Worthy had the best passer in the history of the game feeding him easy buckets. While Pau definiitely benefitted from all eyes being on Kobe, it wasn't the same kind of benefit as Magic's handing Worthy the ball alone within 5 ft from the hoop.

If your contention is based on isolation skill just because teammates can throw him a pass, I'm going to skip this argument altogether.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Triple Double wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
allNet wrote:
Triple Double wrote:

If your contention is based on isolation skill just because teammates can throw him a pass, I'm going to skip this argument altogether.

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject:

The other way to look at this is, which player is it easier to build around? Magic or Kobe? The obvious answer to me at least, is Magic. Which then would make Pau more impactful for Kobe and the modern Lakers.

I just have issues with some of the comments here making Worthy out to be chop liver. And to say nonsensical things like the Lakers would have won a few without him. I mean right off the bat, in his first 2 years, 83 and 84, the Lakers failed in the finals. Worthy hadn't quite "arrived" yet. From 85 and up, Kareem only got older, so how in the world would the Lakers have won those titles in 85-87-88 without Worthy's emergence? To say that the Lakers may have gone on to win a few without Worthy is smoking some good crack.

I've had my issues with Worthy, mainly the longevity issue. He had none. But at Worthy's peak vs Pau's peak, I'd take Worthy hands down. The honest truth is Pau may be more impactful for the modern Lakers because it's hard to imagine Magic Johnson missing the playoffs even without Worthy. But this just speaks to Magic's greatness. Lebron is like Magic a lot in that sense. You can have a bad supporting group, but their games are just so well-rounded that they'll keep you in the race. Kobe cannot do what Lebron did for the Cavs in those early years. Neither can MJ. Lebron and Magic simply are easier to build around. Whereas MJ and Kobe may be better individual players, but it takes the perfect recipe for them to win. I realize this after 2005. Nobody here believed that a Kobe led team can miss the playoffs. We were all excited about Lamar, Caron, Brian Grant, we even got a two time champion in Rudy T to coach us. That squad totally ruined Rudy T's rep. And I realized from that point, it's difficult to build around Kobe. It has to be perfect, so in that sense, Pau Gasol was more impactful.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Gasol had more skills.

Worthy was more impactful.

Agreed...

To fully appreciate this statement you have to have seen both players in there prime... Worthy was a constant, consistent, threat every single moment he was in a game... James is exactly why Magic, and Kareem were so invincible... JW provided absolutely no relief for opposing defenses, and was known to take over games even with Magic and Kareem on the floor... Gasol, has been magnificent, but the Worthy realm? He never really reached that plateau..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to: