Who should start at wing, next to Kob' ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

start X, Wes, or Young?
X
33%
 33%  [ 32 ]
Wes
51%
 51%  [ 49 ]
Young
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 95

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Who should start at wing, next to Kob' ?

X, Wes, or Young?

my opinion: the (potential)2way guy - X.
Westbrook, Durant and Ibaka needed more help offensively in the playoffs. and so i think Kobe,Lin,Boozer will too. if X buys into a defensive role, i think he can be good at it ; and also be a 2way player which we'll need.
(fyi, he's 6'6 with a very strong frame, big enough to match up with any SF, IMO)

also, i think Nick Young is going to not start, but get significant minutes with the 1st unit -- maybe Lin,Kobe,Young + Booz or Randle can be a super good offensive unit. definitely a chance that group would be a top 10-15 offensive lineup in the league.
Stuntman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm going with Wes to set the tone defensively since Scott is a defensive coach. Then again he could use X and bring Wes in to play a Michael cooper type role. I voted Wes tho
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Shawn Marion.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject:

Wesley Johnson fits the "3 and D" mold, and that sort of player fits best with ball dominant players like Kobe and Lin. If Scott could somehow get Nick Young to play some defense, he'd be a good choice as well. Whomever starts at SF will have the responsibility of defending the opponent's best wing player. If Young can't defend as well as Johnson, then Johnson should get the nod.
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject:

I like Young
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
Shawn Marion.

I agree. Marion. In any case, even if not Marion, I still hope we get someone to fill that starting SF spot. I don't really feel all that comfortable with any of the cirrent candidates starting but if I were to go with one, it would be Wesley.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject:

1st Team:

Jeremy Lin
Kobe Bryant
Wesley Johnson
Carlos Boozer
Jordan Hill

2nd Team

Steve Nash
Nick Young
Xavier Henry
Julius Randle
Robert Sacre

I would rather have a more defensive wing next to Kobe. He and Swaggy P sharing the floor at the same time is like a poor man's Oklahoma City Thunder and it doesn't work for them either. I like X-Man in the second unit just for the sake of having a proven ball-handler in case Nash goes down (which, of course, is quite possible).
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject:

Wes because he's a better defender then Young and Henry. He's also the best 3pt shooter out of the 3 and doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective, catch and shoot player.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject:

I think you have to start Wes because of his defense and rebounding. We're going to be pretty small upfront, so Wes' length will be welcomed.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Wes because he's a better defender then Young and Henry. He's also the best 3pt shooter out of the 3 and doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective, catch and shoot player.

If no SF is added to the roster... Wes for his defense.

Not to be overly critical but Young is a few percentage points better from the three.

IMO Young at SG can thrive with the second unit. Minimal SF mins when the match-up is favorable or closing out games. He can keep Kobe's mpg down to a reasonable level and contend for the Sixth Man award if can embrace the role.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Could someone tell me a little about what Wes, X and Young's strengths and weaknesses are?

I am getting

Wes - good D, pretty good 3pt shooter, much improvement in his shooting in the past year, former lottery pick who has the size, length and athleticism but is inconsistent. His motor can be lacking at times? I read somewhere that he was utilized as a combo guard (like Marion) at Syracuse, but was used by Wolves more like shooting guard, which did not make full use of his abilities. --

X - D could be better; easily injured; good ball handler, good offense. Out for a good part of last year.

Young - great offense; D is weak; needs the ball to be effective? Lynchpin of offense last year.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

I meant "combo forward like Marion" above.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Personally, my belief is that 1v1 defense is just as much about effort as it is skill.( part of the skill being athleticism) .
If given the role, I feel like X has all the tools to be a great defender. Does he have the effort? That comes with the role.
If fans knew that X would be a very solid defender, would more want him to start over Wes? Feel like many dont have much confidence in him defensively. IMO He should be a very solid defender if given that role.

6'6.5 with long arms and a very strong build. Carmelo and Lebron won't man handle him on the block like they would Wes.

Wes himself has alot of potential defensively , but he's never going to be a consistent scorer. I hate the pro-Wes argument that basically says all our starting lineup needs is defense. Like I said, KD/WestB/Ibaka needed more offense from their other two starters, so I think we will too (with Kobe,Lin,Boozer) . 2 way players are at a premium in the league. For example, fans want Wes to be our Matt Barnes, well, the Clips have been trying to trade Matt Barnes for more of a 2 way player...

If X proves he can hit the 3 and play D that's great. But at this stage in Kobe's career, with no offensive juggernaut's to help him. I think he could also use more players who can create their own shot, like X. Or simply
in today's pick n roll/drive and kick league, you want players who can attack the basket after a drive n kick. It reduces stagnation in a drive and kick offense.
X potential to help the team alot, is certainly higher than Wes, IMO.
3 and D,plus attacking after a kickout

Also, what if ..... X proves to be a considerably better 3 point shooter than Wes? Do you start him then, even if you think Wes is the better defender?
At this moment, niether player has separated themselves in that department.. Big factor is who proves to be better there.

Edit: posting from my phone is weak!

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I say Wes. He's a better fit with the starters. His role would be locking down on the opponents' best perimeter player and knocking down open shots. 2 things I think he's capable of doing.

Young is perfect off the bench. Instant firepower. I could see him possibly winning the 6th man of the year award this season.

Kiss my Converse.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to see Wes being used more in off the ball cuts to the basket. He has the height and speed. And with playmakers like Kobe/Nash/Lin, he should get some great feeds.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Easy choice.

Wesley Johnson.

We need a versatile defender on the wing to help out Kobe, so he doesn't need to spend too much energy defending opponent's best wing player.

Wes is a very solid defender, and can knock down open shots at time and also get out on the break.

We need Swaggy be the 6th man and X is also better off coming off the bench.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. Is wes really a better defender than x? He's definitely a better rebounder and shot blocker, but I recall x being the most solid overall defender. 1v1 x seemed to stay in front of his man better, box out better, not bite on pump fakes as much, not foul as much, rotate better, move his feet better, not get bullied as much. Overall he seemed to have better fundamentals defensively.

On offense he also didn't seem afraid to make big plays which is important if you're going to play w the starters because you theoretically will be out there in crunch time.

Just throwing that out there. Personally I'd be fine with either one, I think I'd have to see the team chemistry in action come preseason to determine who is really the better fit. It's too close to call for me right now.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Hmm. Is wes really a better defender than x? He's definitely a better rebounder and shot blocker, but I recall x being the most solid overall defender. 1v1 x seemed to stay in front of his man better, box out better, not bite on pump fakes as much, not foul as much, rotate better, move his feet better, not get bullied as much. Overall he seemed to have better fundamentals defensively.

On offense he also didn't seem afraid to make big plays which is important if you're going to play w the starters because you theoretically will be out there in crunch time.

Just throwing that out there. Personally I'd be fine with either one, I think I'd have to see the team chemistry in action come preseason to determine who is really the better fit. It's too close to call for me right now.

who's better defensively between X and Wes might be debatable,

but X is a slasher, we need someone can space the floor a little bit and play defense at the same time.

That's why I believe Wes is the easy choice.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Start the best perimeter defender at the sf spot. Best way to protect Kobe on defense. So Wes to start.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

who's better defensively between X and Wes might be debatable,

but X is a slasher, we need someone can space the floor a little bit and play defense at the same time.

That's why I believe Wes is the easy choice.

if we're going to choose based off who's the better shooter.
being the better 3pt shooter by 2% doesnt make it an easy choice, for me.
either player could come out as the better shooter by next season

also, with it being a drive and kick league; it's best to have players who can shoot the 3 AND penetrate, when kicked the ball. the goal is to be able to capitalize on recovering defenders as much as possible. 2 ways is better than one.
and im not talking ISO-ing Henry, here ; just when he's kicked the ball, he can contribute way more than Wes.(assuming they shoot similar from 3)

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Overall X and Young are probably better but Wes is a better fit to start since he demands the ball the last but playa well on D. We're going to have a great bench again this year
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject:

In a perfect world? Paul George.

He's a modern day Scottie Pippen with no MJ.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

you have a good eye. yes, Wes has alottt of room to improve as a defender himself. a main flaw - he often gets shook by dribble moves/crossed ; but he makes up for it decently because of his length -- saying that tho, recognizing+defending dribble moves is something that easily get better at with time. same goes for biting on pump fakes.
w/ that said, damn, Wes really does have alot of potential as a defender.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
In a perfect world? Paul George.

He's a modern day Scottie Pippen with no MJ.

i think thats a greatttt analogy. although, he wants to be a #1 option so desperately. alot of time to the detriment of his team. IMO. The Pacers want the ball to never hit the ground type of thing ; George wants to make the whole play himself(the assist)
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Kob?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: