The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking

It might now be bad at all. Even if Boozer starts in Davis we have one of the leagues best rim protectors
Quote:
Defensively, Ed is still a force protecting the rim. Opponents are shooting 40.1% at the rim against Ed Davis for the season. That is better than Serge Ibaka, Roy Hibbert and Andre Drummond.

I rather have centers who can defend pick and rolls and the paint over a having a big that has the ability to defend centers in the post. Hill and Davis are both good shot blockers and good at defending the pick and roll. Then we have Wes Johnson 1blk 1stl. He has the athleticism and length to make players work hard for a shot. Then there's Lin he's not a bad defender he puts forth the effort and did a good job on Lillard. He just needs to be thought more on defense. Nick Young played some defense under Mike D now imagine how much better he could be with a defensive coach. Xavier Is a good defender as well. Clark looks like he could be one. Same thing with Randall he has the ability to be a good defender.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking

Car54 wrote:
It might now be bad at all. Even if Boozer starts in Davis we have one of the leagues best rim protectors
Quote:
Defensively, Ed is still a force protecting the rim. Opponents are shooting 40.1% at the rim against Ed Davis for the season. That is better than Serge Ibaka, Roy Hibbert and Andre Drummond.

I rather have centers who can defend pick and rolls and the paint over a having a big that has the ability to defend centers in the post. Hill and Davis are both good shot blockers and good at defending the pick and roll. Then we have Wes Johnson 1blk 1stl. He has the athleticism and length to make players work hard for a shot. Then there's Lin he's not a bad defender he puts forth the effort and did a good job on Lillard. He just needs to be thought more on defense. Nick Young played some defense under Mike D now imagine how much better he could be with a defensive coach. Xavier Is a good defender as well. Clark looks like he could be one. Same thing with Randall he has the ability to be a good defender.

We will have isses at the PG/SG spot defensively speaking. Lin isn't horrific as people have made him out to be, but he isn't a great defender by any means either. Gets lost in P&Rs. Nash/Lin may be in the bottom tier defensively as far as PGs.

Kobe/X/Clarkson isn't exactly a defensive powerhouse. I'd rather see Kobe save energy on the offensive end so he can play at least average level NBA defense. The effort/energy just hasn't been there for a few years now.

Our bigs will be energetic and more mobile. But size does matter. We will be one of the shortest frontlines in the NBA and those guys will have to battle every night.

We have enough of a track record with most of these players to predict how they'll do defensively. I think Scott's emphasis on it will be nice, and I hope he continues to push it. But at this point of their careers, Nash, Kobe, Boozer are what they are. Hopefully the young players will get the message.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject:

TBH it's just so early to making such bold predictions. I mean it's meaningless to predict at any point. Let it play out and let's see what they do. Pray for health, that's what the team needs more than anything. If healthy...they could be competitive and likely pretty good. Everything is really on Kobe and Nash and how rapid Randle acclimates to the pros. I'm intrigued...
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:

We will have isses at the PG/SG spot defensively speaking. Lin isn't horrific as people have made him out to be, but he isn't a great defender by any means either. Gets lost in P&Rs. Nash/Lin may be in the bottom tier defensively as far as PGs.

Kobe/X/Clarkson isn't exactly a defensive powerhouse. I'd rather see Kobe save energy on the offensive end so he can play at least average level NBA defense. The effort/energy just hasn't been there for a few years now.

Our bigs will be energetic and more mobile. But size does matter. We will be one of the shortest frontlines in the NBA and those guys will have to battle every night.

We have enough of a track record with most of these players to predict how they'll do defensively. I think Scott's emphasis on it will be nice, and I hope he continues to push it. But at this point of their careers, Nash, Kobe, Boozer are what they are. Hopefully the young players will get the message.

He's had to do the exact opposite for a few years now also. So even if he listened to you, you'd just say "kobe's done and can't score anymore"?

Let's not act like MWP wasn't our primary ballhandler at times, pau wasn't passing out of open looks from 3ft extended, our priority on offense wasn't D12 in the post and kobe didn't log the most mins per game...

that does describe the "last few years" doesn't it? without kobe, Jim would have been gone before mike brown (but we'd have a lot more draft picks on the roster).
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking

AshesToAshes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:

He's had to do the exact opposite for a few years now also. So even if he listened to you, you'd just say "kobe's done and can't score anymore"?

Let's not act like MWP wasn't our primary ballhandler at times, pau wasn't passing out of open looks from 3ft extended, our priority on offense wasn't D12 in the post and kobe didn't log the most mins per game...

that does describe the "last few years" doesn't it? without kobe, Jim would have been gone before mike brown (but we'd have a lot more draft picks on the roster).

Umm...what?

What does this have to do with his point?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking

AshesToAshes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:

That's why we went out and got Nash, who in theory, was supposed to relieve Kobe's burden on that end. Hopefully Lin can do that, but I fear he may be relegated to spot up duties.

It's no secret that Kobe has put most of his energy on the offensive end these past years, since he was really the only offensive threat from the perimeter. We got guys like Ariza/MWP to cover the other team's best scorer.

I'm not asking for all defensive level effort, just trust his teammates more on the offensive end and reallocate that to the defensive end.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:

Lin only problem is know how not ability. I don't expect Nash to play defense at all. Kobe may have a game here and there. Boozer is a bad defender because of lack of effort. With that said I believe once again he'll be hidden on defense.
chubby_1_kenobi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

As long as Boozers does not start, the defense will improve a bit than last year.

The spacing and transition offense, however will be much better.

Boozer can NOT start. He's too much of a liability to play against opposing starters. He's much better as a spark off the bench.

If B-scott caves in and give Boozer the starting gig due to sheer seniority, his coaching tenure will be starting off badly in my opinion.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:

Lin only problem is know how not ability. I don't expect Nash to play defense at all. Kobe may have a game here and there. Boozer is a bad defender because of lack of effort. With that said I believe once again he'll be hidden on defense.

With a projected starting lineup of Nash/Kobe/Wes?/Boozer/Hill, we have 2 players that need to be hidden on defense (Nash, Boozer). Kobe just isn't an all-NBA defender for 80 games anymore. He can improve if he puts more energy/focus on that end. Hill isn't a protypical rim protector either, more of a rebounder.

I hope Lin can improve, but defense has never been his calling card.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking

yinoma2001 wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:

That's why we went out and got Nash, who in theory, was supposed to relieve Kobe's burden on that end. Hopefully Lin can do that, but I fear he may be relegated to spot up duties.

It's no secret that Kobe has put most of his energy on the offensive end these past years, since he was really the only offensive threat from the perimeter. We got guys like Ariza/MWP to cover the other team's best scorer.

I'm not asking for all defensive level effort, just trust his teammates more on the offensive end and reallocate that to the defensive end.

totally agree on that one. Kobe's turnovers the last few games of the season is exactly why they went and got nash.

but to be honest, guards aside, we may have less height down low but at least we should have height that gets in the lane. Pau was really just side stepping guys a lot of the time.

I just predict our defense will be bad no matter what. IIRC, scott is a team defense guy, and our starting line is possibly brand new. no chemistry.

But with the glut of forwards we have... funnel and foul - hard might workout.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:

With a projected starting lineup of Nash/Kobe/Wes?/Boozer/Hill, we have 2 players that need to be hidden on defense (Nash, Boozer). Kobe just isn't an all-NBA defender for 80 games anymore. He can improve if he puts more energy/focus on that end. Hill isn't a protypical rim protector either, more of a rebounder.

There's zero chance Nash starts. We can't even expect him to play back to back games he's finished
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: The defense isn't gonna be as bad as most are thinking

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:

There's zero chance Nash starts. We can't even expect him to play back to back games he's finished

I hope not. But don't be surprised with how much sway vets get with coaches like Byron. Derek Fisher was the king of that. Boozer/Nash will likely start initially IMO because of their reputations.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject:

Davis
Boozer
Johnson
Kobe
Lin

That will probably end up being the starting lineup. I hope Randle starts but I think Booz will get the spot.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

Using that standard (not as bad as everyone thinks it will be) is a POV I'd never imagined being relevant. I gauge Laker chances to be ranked better than 20th in the league (in terms of points against) as highly unlikely.

There are reasons.

I see few guards on this roster having a recent history of playing committed, consistent team defense. Among them, the one guy with some history of active defense (Kobe) is himself returning to action at age 36, from multiple surgeries for foot and leg injuries. Neither age or condition suggest to me he's gonna be a better than average defender for us.

I see the small forw3ards being of very substandard defensive prowess.

Among the centers and PFs, there may be one guy capable of guarding his man and of giving timely, well-judged help defense.

It's gonna be another year of ugly defense, but don't try kidding yourself that there aren't degrees of bad defense. Do we really care that they may be the 20th worst team defense, is that a better outcome than the 27th worst ? I guess it is, but it's a margin that offers such little hope that it gives me little satisfaction in watching for it.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject:

You know Byron will NOT start Nash over Lin. I don't think he drinks that "seniority" Kool aid MDA loved. Some of the comments he has made shows me he is trying to bring pride back to the Lakers. What MDA subjected and relegated us to last season was one of the worst in my life as a basketball fan. I never want to see my Lakers give up more than 105 points in a game!!!!!! Giving up 120 on regular basis was just so very painful..
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
You know Byron will NOT start Nash over Lin. I don't think he drinks that "seniority" Kool aid MDA loved. Some of the comments he has made shows me he is trying to bring pride back to the Lakers. What MDA subjected and relegated us to last season was one of the worst in my life as a basketball fan. I never want to see my Lakers give up more than 105 points in a game!!!!!! Giving up 120 on regular basis was just so very painful..

AGREED; IT WAS QUITE PATHETIC.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Hope this is starting line up

Defense is important also.

Best offense/defense balance
Lin
Kobe
Johnson
Randle or Boozer
Davis

with
Nash
Young
Hill
Kelly
X

coming in to provide firepower.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

Not having Pau loafing back will help.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject:

If they can manage to get up into the top 12 that'll be a marked improvement over last season.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

The OP hit on some good points. I think the key to the defense is that "if healthy" Kobe, Young, Lin and the PF's are going to handle a large chunk of the scoring load. It is possible that the SF's and C's are more motivated to craft their defensive games if they're mainly looking at garbage buckets or hitting open shots.

Hill had .9bpg in only 20 min, so between the two of them it's not out of the question for the center position to have 2.5bpg. You won't have Johnson playing the 4, he can actually play his role and help Kobe a lot on D. There are things to be optimistic about, but they still lack a player to set the tone on D. I'd like to see Davis, Hill and Johnson take their games even further and put this team in the playoffs.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
If they can manage to get up into the top 12 that'll be a marked improvement over last season.

Top 12? I'm hoping they can crack the top 25. They really have no where to go but up from last year.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

I don't think B Scott is the final answer to the defensive shortcomings this team has. There needs to be a scheme and/or a few defensive studs in your lineups. What B scott can offer is pace. Can't give up a zillion pts if you're not running up and down and turning the ball over.

The coach can start the culture but telling them to "play defense" will go on deaf ears if there isn't a methodology. sitting on the TWC chair and complaining about lack of defense is not a precursor to a solution. Ask Rambis. Having a defensive captain on the court will help tremendously. Lebron was that guy in miami and their defense will be far worse even though Deng is a great defense player. Noah is the same, he calls out screens etc. Kaman was a voice last year but Mike told him to shut up. I don't much about Davis as a voice on the court, but I hope he is.

My first assistant would be Battier. He had a book on defense when he was a player. That paperback will now be a novel considering he'll have more time to devise. He'll figure how to get players to defend despite lack of elite athleticism. something he knows about. Give him 6 mil for 4 years. When
Scott gets fired Shane can take over.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

At the very least, they should be better than last year. We brought back two of our best defenders in Wes and X. Lin is a more versatile defender than we had at point last year. Davis is a better shotblocker/presence in the paint than we had. A lot will depend on the combo's that Scott puts on the floor, the pace and the priorities he has.

I don't like our lack of size, although Sacre can hang defensively with most (but is not ideal offensively), the question is whether Scott can find a good balance offensively that let's us play to our strengths and hide our weaknesses.

I'd like a lineup that is told they are the lockdown group. Set that as an identity/priority. They will have to set that defensive tone as a unit on this team. It's not going to be one player alters the game (because I don't think we have that), but they have combinations that can be successfully led.

Last edited by DancingBarry on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
I don't think B Scott is the final answer to the defensive shortcomings this team has. There needs to be a scheme and/or a few defensive studs in your lineups. What B scott can offer is pace. Can't give up a zillion pts if you're not running up and down and turning the ball over.

The coach can start the culture but telling them to "play defense" will go on deaf ears if there isn't a methodology. sitting on the TWC chair and complaining about lack of defense is not a precursor to a solution. Ask Rambis. Having a defensive captain on the court will help tremendously. Lebron was that guy in miami and their defense will be far worse even though Deng is a great defense player. Noah is the same, he calls out screens etc. Kaman was a voice last year but Mike told him to shut up. I don't much about Davis as a voice on the court, but I hope he is.

My first assistant would be Battier. He had a book on defense when he was a player. That paperback will now be a novel considering he'll have more time to devise. He'll figure how to get players to defend despite lack of elite athleticism. something he knows about. Give him 6 mil for 4 years. When
Scott gets fired Shane can take over.

I like the Battier idea.

But agree that having a great team starts with having great defenders. You can have some of the best defensive minds but if we don't have the requisite defensive talent, won't matter much.

But still glad at least BScott is stating the obvious about improving defense.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

I can see this team being anywhere from 7-15th on defense depending on who Byron gets as an assistant. Hopefully it's Dave miller. Davis defense was comparable to Noah and Ibaka!!! That's a tremendous upgrade to Pau last year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: