Steve Nash Confirms This Will Be His Last NBA Season
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Steve Nash Confirms This Will Be His Last NBA Season

Quote:
Posted on July 28, 2014 by Mark Medina

As he has labored tirelessly through back pain for the last two years, Steve Nash all but confirmed the obvious when looking ahead on what the last year of his $9.7 million with the Lakers will mean for his NBA future.

“I think this is my last season,” said the 40-year-old Nash in a video posted by Sport TV. But I still love to play, practice and work on my game. I’m going to spend hopefully many many years living this life without basketball. It’ll be nice to play one more year.”

The Lakers have not wavered on their stance that they would keep Nash for next season. Although the Lakers could waive him through the so-called amnesty provision, that would require them to pay out his salary through three years instead of one. Doing that could compromise the Lakers’ hopes to pursue high-level free agents both in 2015 (Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, Rajon Rondo) and 2016 (Kevin Durant).

The Lakers hardly have much confidence Nash can fully heal from a back injury that kept him sidelined for all but 15 games last season. That partly explains why the Lakers acquired Jeremy Lin in a trade from Houston and paid $1.8 million to Washington for their 46th draft pick to select Jordan Clarkson. But Nash could prove an integral piece, playing a mentor role even if it involves playing as a reserve in limited minutes.

Nash’s fledgling health marks one of the many reasons why the Lakers are expected to have a lengthy rebuilding process with another likely missed playoff appearance.

“They’re waiting to see which free agents are available next summer and the summer after, to be honest.” Nash said of the Lakers’ rebuilding strategy. It’s a cyclical league and sometimes you have to go down to come back up. Right now, the Lakers are down and it takes time. I don’t know if we’re going to have a chance this year or not. But obviously in the future, they’ll be back where they have been many times.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2014/07/28/steve-nash-confirms-this-will-be-his-last-nba-season/

Farewell tour for Nash next year. =(
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

Is this from 3 years ago?
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

If Byron is asking the team to play the type of defense that the Showtime Lakers played, there is no way that Nash plays more than 10 games this season.

For two reasons:

1. DNP's due to Byron not believing in Nash's defense.
2. Nash's body breaking down from being forced to play defense.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject:

I'd love to get paid for 3 years of work doing nothing. What a life.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject:

Did anyone think otherwise?

Hope he can have a good last season. Sad to see such a great player go out like he has.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

Who cares. Nash is done. I hope he doesn't play at all. Let's develop Clarkson.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
If Byron is asking the team to play the type of defense that the Showtime Lakers played, there is no way that Nash plays more than 10 games this season.

For two reasons:

If that's the case, same may apply to Kobe.

I think there is a role for Nash on this team, but I hope he doesn't start. Rather have him penciled in as a 15 mpg back up.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

yinoma2001 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

For two reasons:

I think there is a role for Nash on this team, but I hope he doesn't start. Rather have him penciled in as a 15 mpg back up.
I'm guessing Lin will be the starter. Nash as a reserve only makes sense. He'd be awesome coming off the bench in a 15-20min/game role.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

"Fledgling" health? Nash is not a "fledgling" anything.

"Flagging" health, sure.

"Failing" would be too severe.

"Flailing" health, probably more accurate.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject:

Hmm, i have mixed feelings about Nash, on the one hand he is a classy guy, and the way his body has just broken down and betrayed him is terrible. On the other hand, he handcuffs us and that doesn't make me happy. I wish we could just waive him without having to pay him so he can go to a contender and actually just ride their bench to a championship. Building super teams really has never worked much for the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

For two reasons:

I'm guessing Lin will be the starter. Nash as a reserve only makes sense. He'd be awesome coming off the bench in a 15-20min/game role.

Yup. I'd start Lin too. I wish we could find a defensive oriented PG though. We really don't have anyone we can throw out there to really lock down PGs. (Lin, Nash, Clarkson).
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:

Well he is a workout warrior and does take whatever painful shots to recover. Writing was on the wall last season to have him retire.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:

Well he is a workout warrior and does take whatever painful shots to recover. Writing was on the wall last season to have him retire.

He def should have retired and could have been joining the coaching staff... he is just too greedy to walk away from that money. Who blames him, oh wait i do lol...
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

yinoma2001 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

For two reasons:

this. I want Nash + Swaggy + randle +X + Ed David/Kelly to be our bench

run & gun phoenix style

starters:
lin
kobe
wes
booz
dreeds
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject:

I will say in the few games Nash came back to play at the end of last season he was working his tale off on defense. I remember numerous plays in games where he would be picked come back into the paint and either deflect the pass or even block a shot. If he plays 15 min per game for us I think he could play spirited defense for us.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:

If you like that, go check out Gilbert Arenas contract. I think he was the 3rd highest paid player in the league and he hasn't played since 2012.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

yinoma2001 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

For two reasons:

Yup. I'd start Lin too. I wish we could find a defensive oriented PG though. We really don't have anyone we can throw out there to really lock down PGs. (Lin, Nash, Clarkson).

Ok, this "locked down" PG comment is been thrown all over the place, and frankly its getting annoying. Who the hell locks down PGs on the Clippers? OKC?Miami? Spurs? GSW? Bulls? Mostly the bigs are the ones hadnling the PGs these days, swatting and alerting shot opportunities. At least that's what I see Ibaka, Noah, Jordan, Duncan do... none of the top-tier PGs even play D. Does Cp3 play D? Steals are not and should not be considered playing defense. Look at James Harden, everyone knows he plays no lick of D, yet he gets all these steals - should he be considered a "lock down defender" or "defensive minded" SG?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

LakersMDGurl wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

For two reasons:

Ok, this "locked down" PG comment is been thrown all over the place, and frankly its getting annoying. Who the hell locks down PGs on the Clippers? OKC?Miami? Spurs? GSW? Bulls? Mostly the bigs are the ones hadnling the PGs these days, swatting and alerting shot opportunities. At least that's what I see Ibaka, Noah, Jordan, Duncan do... none of the top-tier PGs even play D. Does Cp3 play D? Steals are not and should not be considered playing defense. Look at James Harden, everyone knows he plays no lick of D, yet he gets all these steals - should he be considered a "lock down defender" or "defensive minded" SG?

It's a term of art. But if there is no "defense" at the PG position, why not keep trotting out Marshall or Nash? There are degrees of defenders at the PG spot, and yes, the NBA rules prevent true lock down defenders ala the Glove for example, but this doesn't mean there are better PG defenders. The PG is the first line of defense (i.e. how they guard man-to-man, P&Rs, switches, etc.).
JosephFerano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

LakersMDGurl wrote:

This. The reason why people say such things is because they think that a "good" defender is all about one on one defense. If everyone can stop the man in front of them, then you have an amazing defense. This is not the case at all. Although obviously Nash is still an inferior defender, most point guards make extensive use of Pick and Rolls, so in reality, it's a team effort.

Believe it or not, it takes 3 men to guard the P&R well. A mobile big, an agile yet tough point guard, and a smart wing defender. The big needs to be mobile enough to hedge/show and recover, or stay close enough to a PG if they switch off. The best asset to a point guard is strength, tenacity, and agility in order to get around a constant barrage of screens. So regardless of what anyone though, Fisher was a great defender because of this.

Finally, the third man involded is the wing defender. This man is in charge of denying the roll pass. This position requires great defensive alertness and also quick feet and long limbs. They need to cover the roll man and then sprint back to the 3 point line to cover that threat. Easier said than done when teams put Channing Fry at a position that forces his man to be the one to cover the roll.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

Dave Miller believes Byron will start Nash over Lin. lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

JosephFerano wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

This. The reason why people say such things is because they think that a "good" defender is all about one on one defense. If everyone can stop the man in front of them, then you have an amazing defense. This is not the case at all. Although obviously Nash is still an inferior defender, most point guards make extensive use of Pick and Rolls, so in reality, it's a team effort.

Believe it or not, it takes 3 men to guard the P&R well. A mobile big, an agile yet tough point guard, and a smart wing defender. The big needs to be mobile enough to hedge/show and recover, or stay close enough to a PG if they switch off. The best asset to a point guard is strength, tenacity, and agility in order to get around a constant barrage of screens. So regardless of what anyone though, Fisher was a great defender because of this.

Finally, the third man involded is the wing defender. This man is in charge of denying the roll pass. This position requires great defensive alertness and also quick feet and long limbs. They need to cover the roll man and then sprint back to the 3 point line to cover that threat. Easier said than done when teams put Channing Fry at a position that forces his man to be the one to cover the roll.

Agreed that it takes a concerted effort, but there is no distinction between a Kyle Lowry/Marcus Smart on-ball defender and Nash? Is it ludicrous to coin the former lock down defenders? I can understand that there is no sure fire way to completely stop an offensive player, but I don't get the outrage at the use of the term.

How about "knockdown shooter?" What's "knockdown?"
Or he has "handles?" Define that.

These are terms of art thrown out there to describe categories of players. We don't have a lock down defender on this team as of now.
JosephFerano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:

I'm not entirely opposed to this. People place too much of an emphasis on starting but what's most important is minutes and who's in there in the 4th. If Nash starts, it's only because he's still warm from the previous warm ups and he'll be more effective. Lin would still probably play 30-35 minutes a game, while Nash would still more than likely hover around 15-20.

Think about Odom for instance. It wasn't a frontcourt of Bynum/Gasol that won it for us back to back, it was a frontcourt of Gasol/Odom. Odom was the one getting the minutes and the one finishing the 4th quarter.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:

Not really that far fetched...however, I think his role will change once his health becomes a bigger issue as he plays more games and his age is an impediment to the team's success.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

It's bittersweet. At least we'll be free from his awful contract next summer, but I was so (bleep) ing excited when the trade for him had gone down, regardless of his age. It sucks that we never got to see the Kobe/Nash tandem in full form. 2011-2012 Nash and 2012-2013 Kobe together would have been so fun to watch. Hopefully we can get 15 games out of him this upcoming season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

If Nash starts we will be losing many games. It's hard to come back from the deficit he'll get us in. He'a backup pg for spot minutes at best at this point
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: