Steve Nash Confirms This Will Be His Last NBA Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think there is certainly a role Nash can play. But being a titular starter is a bad idea, even if you factor in the "fresh from warming up" argument. As cgambino123 rightfully noted, that's a lot of minutes Lin would have to play if Nash was only good for 15 minutes and then checked out.

I'd rather start Lin, intersperse the bench time (based on Nash's health) between Nash and even Clarkson. You want to establish continuity and if Nash is in one day, out 3 games, rinse and repeat, that's not good.

Exactly, and that applies to the whole rotation as well. Not just starting PG.

So don't play Nash at all! Why jump through hoops to involve him on the court? We won't increase his trade value by playing him. His expiring contract is his value. Not to mention I'd rather a younger PG we're developing (and gonna keep after this season) gets those valuable NBA minutes. Be it clarkson, Xavier, shoot even Beaubois.
What's the downside? Maybe a "healthy" Nash's offense on certain games makes him more valuable than the young guys. But I'm betting the younger guys' relatively superior defense more than makes up for that most of the time.
Scott said today. PG defense is important for our team. I agree.

Yup. Scott's message that "defense matters" will be diluted or ignored if Nash/Kobe/Boozer or any other player are allowed to slack off on the defensive end due to their seniority status. Have to keep players accountable to keep the other players dialed in too.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject:

I think Scott will make players accountable. He's old school Pat Riley, which I love...No defense, no rebounds, no rings.
Adrenaline
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

JosephFerano wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
Ok, this "locked down" PG comment is been thrown all over the place, and frankly its getting annoying. Who the hell locks down PGs on the Clippers? OKC?Miami? Spurs? GSW? Bulls? Mostly the bigs are the ones hadnling the PGs these days, swatting and alerting shot opportunities. At least that's what I see Ibaka, Noah, Jordan, Duncan do... none of the top-tier PGs even play D. Does Cp3 play D? Steals are not and should not be considered playing defense. Look at James Harden, everyone knows he plays no lick of D, yet he gets all these steals - should he be considered a "lock down defender" or "defensive minded" SG?

This. The reason why people say such things is because they think that a "good" defender is all about one on one defense. If everyone can stop the man in front of them, then you have an amazing defense. This is not the case at all. Although obviously Nash is still an inferior defender, most point guards make extensive use of Pick and Rolls, so in reality, it's a team effort.

Believe it or not, it takes 3 men to guard the P&R well. A mobile big, an agile yet tough point guard, and a smart wing defender. The big needs to be mobile enough to hedge/show and recover, or stay close enough to a PG if they switch off. The best asset to a point guard is strength, tenacity, and agility in order to get around a constant barrage of screens. So regardless of what anyone though, Fisher was a great defender because of this.

Finally, the third man involded is the wing defender. This man is in charge of denying the roll pass. This position requires great defensive alertness and also quick feet and long limbs. They need to cover the roll man and then sprint back to the 3 point line to cover that threat. Easier said than done when teams put Channing Fry at a position that forces his man to be the one to cover the roll.

^this.... Lin is actually a very good 1on1 defender... where he had his problems is with the Picks/screens...

didnt help that his former team was horrible on PnR defence
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

If he isn't able to play due to no fault of his own, he should've medically retired.
Oh he didn't cause he wants to get paid for 2 season of not playing and not just 1. Thanks for the honesty, I guess?
Guess that's why he is a suns hall-of-famer. I bet on the Suns forums they love him!
The cynic in me thinks he has sleeper cell-kamikaze'd the Lakers.
The optimist in me thinks the Suns purposely traded us a lemon.
Either way, he's earned no love from Lakerland.

Long time lurker on here: Nobody on here is mentioning the fact that if Nash had let the Lakers medically retire him this past season, he still would've gotten paid. The choice wasn't to retire or lose money, he could've done both if he hadn't insisted on playing 15 games.

Last edited by Threatt_Level on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Is this from 3 years ago?

jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think there is certainly a role Nash can play. But being a titular starter is a bad idea, even if you factor in the "fresh from warming up" argument. As cgambino123 rightfully noted, that's a lot of minutes Lin would have to play if Nash was only good for 15 minutes and then checked out.

I'd rather start Lin, intersperse the bench time (based on Nash's health) between Nash and even Clarkson. You want to establish continuity and if Nash is in one day, out 3 games, rinse and repeat, that's not good.

Your argument has sold me on starting Lin.

Initially it made sense to start Nash due to tenure and talent - I think it's arguable that a healthy Nash, in this system, will bring more to the PG position than Lin.

But I didn't consider continuity and Nash's health on the guys gelling. Let the starters gel and the best way to do that is have a consistent starting roster.

I think you bring in Nash when his experience will pay dividends - like late game situations.

Byron being old school, wouldn't surprise me if he starts Nash early in the season (out of respect) before instilling Lin as the permanent starter.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Your argument has sold me on starting Lin.

Initially it made sense to start Nash due to tenure and talent - I think it's arguable that a healthy Nash, in this system, will bring more to the PG position than Lin.

But I didn't consider continuity and Nash's health on the guys gelling. Let the starters gel and the best way to do that is have a consistent starting roster.

I think you bring in Nash when his experience will pay dividends - like late game situations.

Byron being old school, wouldn't surprise me if he starts Nash early in the season (out of respect) before instilling Lin as the permanent starter.

There's a 1000% chance Nash isn't returning after this season. There's a good chance Lin will (I hope he does). What's the point in letting Nash ceremonially start for 10-15 mpg ever 3 games? If he's healthy, he can still help off the bench in organizing the bench unit and providing leadership there. Kobe/Nash are just too much of a defensive liability at the backcourt, especially given Byron Scott's "Defense First" approach.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 29m
Gary Vitti on Steve Nash: "Right now, he's a green light … things look better on July 31, 2014, than they did July 31, 2013."

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 26m
In short, Nash is "100% healthy" right now. He's not having nerve pain for the 1st time in a long time. But we'll see when he plays 5 on 5

Thank the Lord.
It's the nerve pain that's the issue.
Hopefully we won't have to hear about the nerve issue this year.

Let's do this Nash!
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

If Nash starts it will be because he is healthy and playing well. If Lin is doing well at all Nash won't be starting for long.

Nash will be good at mentoring Lin and Clarkson this year.
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Predicting 70 DNP's
mttbk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Wait... he just now got the memo?!

Last edited by mttbk on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
If Nash starts it will be because he is healthy and playing well. If Lin is doing well at all Nash won't be starting for long.

Nash will be good at mentoring Lin and Clarkson this year.

Regardless of how many games Nash plays this year, I feel like his contribution to the team will be more worthy as a mentor this year than as a player. As has been stated, he's a defensive liability out there and should not be a starter.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject:

looking good so far for Nash... Like I said, there are rumors circulating around allegedly saying that Nash has been quoted as sort of saying that he feels like he thinks he is almost like close to feeling like he is kind-of 24-ish years old again.

we'll see.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
looking good so far for Nash... Like I said, there are rumors circulating around allegedly saying that Nash has been quoted as sort of saying that he feels like he thinks he is almost like close to feeling like he is kind-of 24-ish years old again.

we'll see.

Same ol' song and dance.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
TDRock wrote:
VanCity wrote:
KBH wrote:
The lack of respect people show to a future hall-of-famer who has been unable to play through no fault of his own is embarrassing. Going from Reddit's r/nba forum to reading LG is amazing.

Agreed.

yep

If he isn't able to play due to no fault of his own, he should've medically retired.
Oh he didn't cause he wants to get paid for 2 season of not playing and not just 1. Thanks for the honesty, I guess?
Guess that's why he is a suns hall-of-famer. I bet on the Suns forums they love him!
The cynic in me thinks he has sleeper cell-kamikaze'd the Lakers.
The optimist in me thinks the Suns purposely traded us a lemon.
Either way, he's earned no love from Lakerland.
Oh ya, Kobe deserves both of Nash's MVPs but that's a different story
the fact that nash has 2 MVPs and kobe only has one is a complete and utter joke IMO. nash NEVER on his best day in his prime was better than Kobe. anyways, if he can come off the bench and give 15 a game and save himself for the playoffs (PLAYOFFS?!) he be cool.
bccat
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

Steve is in good health, well rested, and been Working out with Westbrook & Durant.

If we are the make the playoffs this year, we'll need Kobe & Lin to get at least 15 more wins from the starters.

We also need a healthy Nash to lead our bench to at least 5 more wins. That will bring us over the magic 50 wins likely needed for the playoffs.

Nash's defence against any other teams bench PGs will not be a problem. He can focus on offence and assisting the good talents on our bench. Worst case, he can just hand the ball to SwaggyP to score. I don't think many teams bench can match up with our bench led by Nash.

I hope we can make the playoff this year, and I'll be rooting for my fellow BC boy to end his incredible career on a positive note.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm still confused. Nash says he thinks it will be his last year and the headline says he confirmed its his last year. Which is it?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject:

If Steve Nash can reach these benchmarks, this season, he will go out with "both guns blazing!"

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/08/10/5-realistic-expectations-for-los-angeles-lakers-steve-nash-in-2014-15/?utm_source=RantSports&utm_medium=HUBRecirculation&utm_term=NBALos
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: I predict Nash will not play more than 10 games for Byron.

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
If Byron is asking the team to play the type of defense that the Showtime Lakers played, there is no way that Nash plays more than 10 games this season.

For two reasons:

1. DNP's due to Byron not believing in Nash's defense.
2. Nash's body breaking down from being forced to play defense.

Byron is a lousy defensive coach so Nash will be fine.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject:

What is so crazy to me about Nash is that the guy looks sharp in those few minutes he can actually play. He's out so long and then just steps right back in minus rust and timing issues. It's really impressive.

I pray the miraculous happens and the nerve damage is tempered to the tune of missing only a handful of games this season. It would be great to see for Nash as well as the Lakers.

Here's hoping ... and praying ...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: