Houston 2015 pick position?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool426
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

jjww28 wrote:
Lin is a supersub, he played more 4th quarter and OT minutes per game than anyone else, Go check clutch time stats at nba.com, one of two rockets players could creat their own shoot effectively at clutch time.

Lin was nominated "Player of the week" two times last season, why? Beacuse he puts up big stats and wins over good teams during the absence of Harden. Is there any other bench player nominated twice last season?

Go back to Lin's thread with this. Here is about Houston's pick.

No one cares what he did in the 4th quarter OT minutes last year.
No one cares about his nominations last year.
No one cares about his clutch time shooting last year.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
Contrast that with every team that either had players get better or added talent, it's not unreasonable to see Houston struggle this year more than last, especially with McHale as coach.

And what teams would those be? Let's work our way from 9 up:

9. Suns.

How did the Suns get better? Their main addition was a PG, when they are already stacked at PG. Who replaces what Channing Frye gave them? Out of all the losses from the Western teams, his skillset is the only one that's kinda hard to find at his position. Do they have more talent on their roster than the Rockets? Harden and Howard are both better than every player on their roster.

8. Mavs

Do they have more talent on their roster than the Rockets? They added an injury prone center, downgraded at PG and upgraded at SF.

7. Grizz

Do they have more talent on their roster than the Rockets? Harden and Howard are both better than every player on their roster. I fully expect them to be better with improved health. Who replaces Mike Miller's shooting?

6. GS

Do they have more talent on their roster than the Rockets? Livingston makes that much of a difference?

5. Blazers

I do think Portland got better with Kaman and Blake. I also don't think they will have one of the insane runs like they had to start last season.

These teams have players that got better but the Rockets with a 24 yr old Harden, 22 yr old Jones, 25 yr old Beverly and 28 yr old Howard another year removed from surgery didn't? Was McHale not the coach when we made the playoffs the last two seasons?
9-0-9
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born in Redlands,California but Reside in Houston,TX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I personally have the standings as such for this next season...

1-3 is OKC,SA,Dallas
4-5 is Clips & Blazers
6-8 is GS,Houston,Memphis or New Orleans or us

OKC I have ranked so high due to Durant,Westbrook and Ibaka with Reggie Jackson being completely ignored and they'll sneak their way into the Top 3 just like last year.

SA- Defending champs, brought the crew back. GOTTA respect that until beaten.

Dallas - they have quite possibly JUST AS MUCH depth on their roster as San Antonio.

Chandler/Wright
Dirk/Greg Smith
Parsons/Crowder/Aminu
Monta/Jefferson
Harris/Jameer/Felton

very very solid and deep team...they're GONNA be crazy good.

4 & 5 are a toss up because they both are so solid but I think the Blazers are gonna be nice this year. Lillard once again being showcased as well as LA in contract year. You have Blake plus Hawes now...so you added some depth. They're gonna be a very solid group. The Clippers are regular season studs, post season duds...as always...

6-8

GS may take a hit due to a new coach. I'm not sure if Kerr is gonna be that guy for them like how Mark Jackson was. Gonna be interesting to see. Houston, losing Parsons,Lin AND Asik is HUGE for them. Lin not so much because he's a friggin bum but Asik and Parsons are HUUUUUUGE. Yes they got Ariza but everyone knows, Ariza dont show out unless it's contract year. So I don't expect them to be anything special. Memphis is always a sneak in. They always have an injury that prevents them from doing anything so they'll be there I fear and then this is where N.O. comes in because the Pelicans got better with adding Asik...Asik plus Unibrow? HELLA defensive lineup...we COULD sneak in but I honest to god feel like the only way we even get a #8 seed is if N.O. either gets an injury or just doesn't gel as well and Memphis get injured...sad to say it but thats the only way I see us getting in. Next year is something different but AT THIS STAGE? There is just to much talent in the West...in the East we'd be a 4-5 maybe 6th seed....
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject:

Lakers are going to stink it up this season.

Hope we get the highest possible Houston pick next year.

so that means Rockets in the playoffs barely squeeking it in,
I hope they continue the fall and look at D12 face when he diminishes into the weak minded scum that he is.
jjww28
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject:

Cool426 wrote:
jjww28 wrote:
Lin is a supersub, he played more 4th quarter and OT minutes per game than anyone else, Go check clutch time stats at nba.com, one of two rockets players could creat their own shoot effectively at clutch time.

Lin was nominated "Player of the week" two times last season, why? Beacuse he puts up big stats and wins over good teams during the absence of Harden. Is there any other bench player nominated twice last season?

If you don't see how it is relevant, it is your problem.
Don't speak for others, Ok?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

9-0-9 wrote:
I personally have the standings as such for this next season...

1-3 is OKC,SA,Dallas
4-5 is Clips & Blazers
6-8 is GS,Houston,Memphis or New Orleans or us

OKC I have ranked so high due to Durant,Westbrook and Ibaka with Reggie Jackson being completely ignored and they'll sneak their way into the Top 3 just like last year.

SA- Defending champs, brought the crew back. GOTTA respect that until beaten.

Dallas - they have quite possibly JUST AS MUCH depth on their roster as San Antonio.

Chandler/Wright
Dirk/Greg Smith
Parsons/Crowder/Aminu
Monta/Jefferson
Harris/Jameer/Felton

very very solid and deep team...they're GONNA be crazy good.

4 & 5 are a toss up because they both are so solid but I think the Blazers are gonna be nice this year. Lillard once again being showcased as well as LA in contract year. You have Blake plus Hawes now...so you added some depth. They're gonna be a very solid group. The Clippers are regular season studs, post season duds...as always...

6-8

GS may take a hit due to a new coach. I'm not sure if Kerr is gonna be that guy for them like how Mark Jackson was. Gonna be interesting to see. Houston, losing Parsons,Lin AND Asik is HUGE for them. Lin not so much because he's a friggin bum but Asik and Parsons are HUUUUUUGE. Yes they got Ariza but everyone knows, Ariza dont show out unless it's contract year. So I don't expect them to be anything special. Memphis is always a sneak in. They always have an injury that prevents them from doing anything so they'll be there I fear and then this is where N.O. comes in because the Pelicans got better with adding Asik...Asik plus Unibrow? HELLA defensive lineup...we COULD sneak in but I honest to god feel like the only way we even get a #8 seed is if N.O. either gets an injury or just doesn't gel as well and Memphis get injured...sad to say it but thats the only way I see us getting in. Next year is something different but AT THIS STAGE? There is just to much talent in the West...in the East we'd be a 4-5 maybe 6th seed....

How about Phx? I think they are ahead of us right now.
Trap8600
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject:

1. Oklahoma City
2. San Antonio
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Portland
5. Dallas
6. Houston
7. Golden State
8. Memphis
9. Phoenix
10. New Orleans
11. Los Angeles
12. Sacramento
13. Minnesota (Provided they trade Love before the start of the season)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject:

Trap8600 wrote:
1. Oklahoma City
2. San Antonio
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Portland
5. Dallas
6. Houston
7. Golden State
8. Memphis
9. Phoenix
10. New Orleans
11. Los Angeles
12. Sacramento
13. Minnesota (Provided they trade Love before the start of the season)

Yeah, that 8-10 pocket will be competitive, every single game matters this season if we want to make that 8th seed.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The Rockets were 5 games from missing the postseason last year. That's it.

This is the key point. In the west, losing a little bit COULD mean dropping from a 4ish seed to a 6, 7 or 8. Relative to the other western conference teams, the Rockets aren't so loaded with talent, and have average at best coaching. A slight slip in talent could easily mean a slight slip in wins, and in the west that could mean a noticeable slip in seeding.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

This is the key point. In the west, losing a little bit COULD mean dropping from a 4ish seed to a 6, 7 or 8. Relative to the other western conference teams, the Rockets aren't so loaded with talent, and have average at best coaching. A slight slip in talent could easily mean a slight slip in wins, and in the west that could mean a noticeable slip in seeding.

Which teams that finished 6-9th in the West last year have more talent on their roster than Houston, and better than average coaching?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
seccom wrote:
Please re-read the following if you have question regarding the pick protection:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=5914956

That link and comments from the Rockets beat writer are from July 13th. It was reported as protected by several articles/tweets at the time of the trade. But was it actually protected when the deal was completed?

As stated, current NBA transaction sites are not listing the pick as protected.

Do you have a current site with specifics for the protection of the pick?

That is the confirmation I am looking for. I may just be looking at the wrong sites.

Thanks for the patience.

The beat reporter receives his information directly from the team. Feigen is basically Morey's mouthpiece. He would be the most trusted source to look to for transaction details and if his article specifically identifies the pick protections then take his word for it. The team gave him the detailed info.

Quote:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-complete-anticipated-trade-of-Lin-to-5619208.php

To get the Lakers to take on the final season of Lin's contract and its roughly $15 million salary, the Rockets also will send their first-round pick next season, unless it falls into the lottery. If they don't send the pick next season, it will be protected through 10 picks for two seasons. If they still have not sent the pick, it will be protected through five picks for two seasons.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Which teams that finished 6-9th in the West last year have more talent on their roster than Houston, and better than average coaching?

It doesn't matter. The point is Houston finished 4th and was only 4 games from being 8th.

Houston lost two key players in Asik and Lin. Added Ariza. That's probably a net loss, albeit small.

In a landscape where 5 losses can be the difference between being 4th and being out of the playoffs, it isn't unreasonable to surmise that maybe they'd finish 5-8 in the West.

You've got to be a Rockets fan -- it's the only explanation for your refusal to accept that a few extra losses is the difference between 4th and 8th.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject:

the rockets could easily miss the playoffs next year. they have 3 players, and outside of those 3 guys, there is no depth at all after losing 3 key components.

an 2 month injury to harden or dwight would spell disaster for them, especially considering the fact that mchale is their coach.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

Laughing that some people actually think Houston will miss the playoffs and yet at the same time believe in the idea of the Lakers making the 7th or 8th seed! Either of those things could happen, but the reality is that neither of those things will happen.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

jjww28 wrote:
Cool426 wrote:
jjww28 wrote:

Well, he speaks for me. I don't care about Lin the person or the player or what the hell he did in Houston. I'm staying away from the Lin thread because of all the Lin worship, and I was hoping I won't see the same thing in other threads like this - a thread about the Houston pick!
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It doesn't matter. The point is Houston finished 4th and was only 4 games from being 8th.

Houston lost two key players in Asik and Lin. Added Ariza. That's probably a net loss, albeit small.

In a landscape where 5 losses can be the difference between being 4th and being out of the playoffs, it isn't unreasonable to surmise that maybe they'd finish 5-8 in the West.

You've got to be a Rockets fan -- it's the only explanation for your refusal to accept that a few extra losses is the difference between 4th and 8th.

If they didn't lose Parson, it might be considered a net gain, but since the basically swapped Parson for Ariza, i would consider it a wash, that's providing Ariza performed on par with his previous season performance, but he had a history of out performing his average during contract year, so he may be back to his norm again.

But for arguments sake, if everyone performed like last year, yeah, you're looking at a loss of 6 more games which means they're likely out of the playoffs.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
Laughing that some people actually think Houston will miss the playoffs and yet at the same time believe in the idea of the Lakers making the 7th or 8th seed! Either of those things could happen, but the reality is that neither of those things will happen.

The likelihood the Rockets will miss the playoffs, is higher IMO, than the likelihood that we will make it.

They were only 5 wins from missing the postseason altogether.

The Lakers were 23 wins from making it.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

It does matter if you are talking about them dropping and others rising. How can you argue on one hand that player departures will cause them to fall, and on the other hand say it doesn't matter to compare the remaining talent on their team and on the ones that finished below? If it's not about talent on the roster then why are you even discussing player departures?

ringfinger wrote:

Asik was not that key in the regular season. Lin is quite replaceable. The only "key" player Houston lost was Parsons, but they got a key player to take his spot.

ringfinger wrote:

It is, when you look at the talent on their roster compared to the other teams in the conference.

ringfinger wrote:

I'm a Rockets fan that knows who the instrumental players were for us last season. You are a Lakers fan calling a guy (Asik) who didn't provide much for the majority of the season a key loss, even though the team won 65% of their games without him. I can't recall any other instance of a player being considered a key loss when he didn't provide much for the majority of the year and the team won 65% of thier games without him. In your unbiased view, please make me understand how that player is a key loss? In your unbiased view, please describe what Lin brought to the team that another bench guard can't provide?
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It does matter if you are talking about them dropping and others rising. How can you argue on one hand that player departures will cause them to fall, and on the other hand say it doesn't matter to compare the remaining talent on their team and on the ones that finished below? If it's not about talent on the roster then why are you even discussing player departures?

ringfinger wrote:

Asik was not that key in the regular season. Lin is quite replaceable. The only "key" player Houston lost was Parsons, but they got a key player to take his spot.

ringfinger wrote:

It is, when you look at the talent on their roster compared to the other teams in the conference.

ringfinger wrote:

I'm a Rockets fan that knows who the instrumental players were for us last season. You are a Lakers fan calling a guy (Asik) who didn't provide much for the majority of the season a key loss, even though the team won 65% of their games without him. I can't recall any other instance of a player being considered a key loss when he didn't provide much for the majority of the year and the team won 65% of thier games without him. In your unbiased view, please make me understand how that player is a key loss? In your unbiased view, please describe what Lin brought to the team that another bench guard can't provide?

I think all three guys have a major role in your team's success. Asik would have had the most impact but he didn't play much with his fake injury. Parsons was the 3rd star but you guys found a replacement in Ariza. Lin as you said is a bench guy, but managed to produce more than your starting pg. So unless one of the young guys step up at PG, I'd say your Rockets are in big trouble. I think a 50 win season is probably where you guys are looking at. Lets see where that lands you in the West.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

ringfinger wrote:

ringfinger wrote:

ringfinger wrote:

You're just too emotionally invested in the outcome of this discussion to speak rationally about it. I mean, I get it man. You're a Rockets fan (that was obvious from the start) and 4th seed feels better than 8th seed. Totally get it. And you'll say anything to hold to that.

Where it gets a little laughable for me, is when you say it is unreasonable to consider the Rockets could finish 5th in the West next year, when they didn't even finish 4th last year based on season record. They actually tied for the 4th/5th seed based on season record and only got the 4th because of a tiebreaker. They could win the EXACT same number of games next year and be the 5th seed, a finish you deem "unreasonable".

You're reaching for reasons to keep Houston in that 4th seed spot. You're a fan, that's what you do. Just understand, that that isn't my goal here. I'm trying to project out for next season a win/loss record. Based on the personnel changes, I would expect the Rockets to win around the same number of games in the low 50s. That could put them anywhere from 4th seed to out of the playoffs.

You do realize it is mathematically possible that the Rockets could win 50 games and still miss the playoffs right? So I can only assume we don't disagree on that and what you think is a gross under estimation is the idea the Rockets could lose 1 game???
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:

fadeaway3 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

ringfinger wrote:

ringfinger wrote:

ringfinger wrote:

I think all three guys have a major role in your team's success. Asik would have had the most impact but he didn't play much with his fake injury. Parsons was the 3rd star but you guys found a replacement in Ariza. Lin as you said is a bench guy, but managed to produce more than your starting pg. So unless one of the young guys step up at PG, I'd say your Rockets are in big trouble. I think a 50 win season is probably where you guys are looking at. Lets see where that lands you in the West.

Kind of nice to have Asik as a backup C if Dwight gets hurt or in foul trouble. So Dorsey/DMo is enough now? Not sure about that.

Same with Lin. Bev's knee, how's that doing? I guess you have Nick Johnson now, but we'll see how he fares against NBA comp.
jjww28
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
jjww28 wrote:
Cool426 wrote:
jjww28 wrote:

Well, he speaks for me. I don't care about Lin the person or the player or what the hell he did in Houston. I'm staying away from the Lin thread because of all the Lin worship, and I was hoping I won't see the same thing in other threads like this - a thread about the Houston pick!

I merely speaks the facts. Read my pervious post in this thread, Rockets still has TPE, MLE, BAE, but they haven't found proven replacement for Lin, yet.

Dreamshack just said Lin is not a supersub, thus won't effect Huston's standing. I disagree and give the facts, with no 6th man/ 2nd playmaker, especially in clutch time (you can easily verify it in stats.nba.com). Houston's record gonna suffer, I think it is totally relevant to this thread. I don't know how you fail to see it.

You sound like it is forbidden to mention Lin in this board other than Lin thread, and you need seek refuge to avoid discussion invovling Lin. This is ridiculous.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

jjww28 wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
jjww28 wrote:
Cool426 wrote:
jjww28 wrote:

I merely speaks the facts. Read my pervious post in this thread, Rockets still has TPE, MLE, BAE, but they haven't found proven replacement for Lin, yet.

Dreamshack just said Lin is not a supersub, thus won't effect Huston's standing. I disagree and give the facts, with no 6th man/ 2nd playmaker, especially in clutch time (you can easily verify it in stats.nba.com). Houston's record gonna suffer, I think it is totally relevant to this thread. I don't know how you fail to see it.

You sound like it is forbidden to mention Lin in this board other than Lin thread, and you need seek refuge to avoid discussion invovling Lin. This is ridiculous.

Lol I think I typed his name like that b4. So weird.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:

On paper it sounds laughable but the Rockets leadership or lack thereof is a huge problem. Harden and Howard are not leaders despite their chest thumping. This team is held together by tape and bubble gum, and at first sight of rain its gonna get ugly.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

AND Parsons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: