Houston 2015 pick position?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
So Ringfinger and Dreamshake kill another thread arguing over "should" and "will". Go on vacation for a week and come back to find that nothing has changed. Bravo!!!

Which means we didn't kill the thread at all as it is alive and well! Haha

Ok, alive, though arguably not well at this point.

This should probably move to General Discussion anyway as it has little to do with the Lakers. (At least, no more to do with the Lakers than discussing how any other NBA Western Conference team might do this year).

I have been gone awhile, I had to give someone a hard time.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Luke... wrote:
I am also not convinced as to the protections, since this site http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed has so much detail about other trade transactions and doesn't mention any protections for Houston's 1st rd pick that Lakers are getting...
Houston is getting a pick from New Orleans next year, with some protections though, so maybe they weren't concerned as much if they lost their own, seeing as how they assumed they were getting Bosh at the time.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts or definitive answers on the protection issue on the Houston pick?

No protections could be the interesting if the Rockets do find a way to miss the playoffs. Not making the playoffs is not as ridiculous as some may want to think. Lakers potentially getting a pick in the teens would prove useful and worth clarifying.

Was discussed a few days ago and thenwas dismissed because of some articles/tweets from sports writers. Thread then got sidetracked for the last several pages.

Who is correct? The links to the sports writers or the link to Realgame future drafts site?

I answered this question earlier in the thread. The Rockets beat reporter gets his information directly from the team. If he reported the actual pick conditions in detail then you can take his word for it. He wouldn't just make the details up (ie I could see someone questioning him if he said "the pick is protected" but not when he breaks out the specific protections every year).

No clue on why it hasn't made it's way to the sites yet but what he reported came directly from the Rockets.
seccom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
So Ringfinger and Dreamshake kill another thread arguing over "should" and "will". Go on vacation for a week and come back to find that nothing has changed. Bravo!!!

This should probably move to General Discussion anyway as it has little to do with the Lakers. (At least, no more to do with the Lakers than discussing how any other NBA Western Conference team might do this year).

But in this case, the outcome of Houston season which have a direct impact on the future of the Lakers. I have a strong feeling that Laker fans will cheer for Houston's opponents, even the Celtics.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

seccom wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

But in this case, the outcome of Houston season which have a direct impact on the future of the Lakers. I have a strong feeling that Laker fans will cheer for Houston's opponents, even the Celtics.

So does the win/loss record of every team in the Western Conference.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject:

seccom wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Lots of Lakers fans have been doing that since Howard couldn't handle the pressure and jumped ship to the Rockets, so not a big difference there.
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
seccom wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Lots of Lakers fans have been doing that since Howard couldn't handle the pressure and jumped ship to the Rockets, so not a big difference there.
Lillard's shot was the highlight of last season for me. ...
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
-Showtime- wrote:
seccom wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Lillard's shot was the highlight of last season for me. ...

seccom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
seccom wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Win/loss is not that simple. Let's say a game between Phx and Dallas early in the season, who do you want to win?

A win or loss by either team has unknown quality early on. In some case you do not even know until April.

Of course, you should always cheer the Eastern teams.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:

seccom wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
seccom wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Win/loss is not that simple. Let's say a game between Phx and Dallas early in the season, who do you want to win?

A win or loss by either team has unknown quality early on. In some case you do not even know until April.

Of course, you should always cheer the Eastern teams.

Well, we can discuss who we'd want to win between Phx and Dallas but unless it involves the Lakers, I think we should discuss it in General Discussion =)
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Luke... wrote:
I am also not convinced as to the protections, since this site http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed has so much detail about other trade transactions and doesn't mention any protections for Houston's 1st rd pick that Lakers are getting...
Houston is getting a pick from New Orleans next year, with some protections though, so maybe they weren't concerned as much if they lost their own, seeing as how they assumed they were getting Bosh at the time.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts or definitive answers on the protection issue on the Houston pick?

No protections could be the interesting if the Rockets do find a way to miss the playoffs. Not making the playoffs is not as ridiculous as some may want to think. Lakers potentially getting a pick in the teens would prove useful and worth clarifying.

Was discussed a few days ago and thenwas dismissed because of some articles/tweets from sports writers. Thread then got sidetracked for the last several pages.

Who is correct? The links to the sports writers or the link to Realgame future drafts site?

I answered this question earlier in the thread. The Rockets beat reporter gets his information directly from the team. If he reported the actual pick conditions in detail then you can take his word for it. He wouldn't just make the details up (ie I could see someone questioning him if he said "the pick is protected" but not when he breaks out the specific protections every year).

No clue on why it hasn't made it's way to the sites yet but what he reported came directly from the Rockets.

I saw your answer then, I acknowledge it now. The question remains the same. Does anyone have updated clarification of the trade protection?

Every link and article I have found from the Houston beat writer and others are from the day of the trade. Nothing since that time. Trade futures showing no protection on the pick leads me to wonder which is true.

Just seeking some updated info or verifiable source that answers the question.

Is it possible the protections changed from initial reporting to actual completion of the deal? Is it possible the beat writer reported what he was told then the protections changed. Just no follow up story? Maybe not, but some of us would like to have some clarification, if at all possible.

Any trusted trade sites that can solve this riddle?

RealGame shows no protections. Many others do not show the details of protections. I need the help of better researchers then I am. Not trying to be a PITA just looking for the facts. No disrespect meant, but I would prefer more reliability then the "trusted" beat writer from the Rockets from a month ago.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject:

If this pick is in the teens, that'd be awesome.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
If this pick is in the teens, that'd be awesome.

The importance and value of the pick is the main reason I would like to have clarification of the trade protection "contradiction" that has been pointed out.

If the pick is lottery protected then Lakers only get the pick if Houston makes the playoffs. High teens to mid 20s.

If it is not protected then it could be low to mid teens. Much more valuable pick in a potential trade or for a quality prospect to add the the roster.

Despite the previous several pages of optimism I think it is not out of the realm of possibility Houston misses the playoffs. West is highly competitive and a few games slide could be the difference. Also think the East has improved too. East Coast road trips will not be as easy.

I actually think this will be reflected in the 8th seed in the West being in the 45 - 47 range instead of needing 50. (or 49 that was argued about)
lgnofridge
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

Houston could very well miss the playoffs next year. The biggest problem for them is that in the absence of Chandler Parsons the incompatibility offensively between Howard and Harden will be amplified substantially. In more than a few games last year including the playoffs after ISO Harden had failed to result in a win McHale would inevitably resort to giving the ball to Howard at the low post. However whenever Howard was the focal point on offensive Harden tended to completely loose interest in the game. With Parsons in the lineup the ball was at least moving even when Harden took himself out of the game. Now that Parsons is gone the Rockets has essentially lost the glue guy.
Ariza's production will be nowhere near what he did in Washington without a pg like Wall feeding him the ball.
Lastly I don't know how many of you still recall the 3 guard rotation the Rockets preferred to run in the 4th throughout last season. Lin was often times the guy who kept the ball moving and scored big at crunch time. With a depleted bench it is easy to anticipate that the Rockets will lose quite a few close games next year they would have won with Lin on the roster.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject:

Is it possible the protections changed from initial reporting to actual completion of the deal? Is it possible the beat writer reported what he was told then the protections changed. Just no follow up story? Maybe not, but some of us would like to have some clarification, if at all possible.

If it changed then the beat writer would have put out another story about it, noting the changes. The team uses him to put out info for transactions.
Who Takes The Blame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

Are we still tanking.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

If it changed then the beat writer would have put out another story about it, noting the changes. The team uses him to put out info for transactions.

May very well be true that the pick is protected. Not arguing his credibility. Just the inconsistencies and timing. Worth double checking IMO. That is why I continue to ask for another link or source.

Just trying to get another source to clarify since at least two future trade sites listing it as unprotected. They are more recent then the beat writer's article from July 13th.

So far no one has posted any verification of the pick being protected other then the July 13th reporting of the deal. I find that odd in our world of instant access to information.

I am not arguing either way. Just curious to find out the facts of the trade.
poiuyt
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

Rockets have a lottery protected first round 2015 pick from New Orleans, but gave their 2015 first round pick to us.

It would be hilarious if the Rockets have a worse year than New Orleans.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

May very well be true that the pick is protected. Not arguing his credibility. Just the inconsistencies and timing. Worth double checking IMO. That is why I continue to ask for another link or source.

Just trying to get another source to clarify since at least two future trade sites listing it as unprotected. They are more recent then the beat writer's article from July 13th.

So far no one has posted any verification of the pick being protected other then the July 13th reporting of the deal. I find that odd in our world of instant access to information.

I am not arguing either way. Just curious to find out the facts of the trade.

I wasn't arguing. Just letting you know the source of the beat writers info and showing that's the top spot when it comes to reliability of team info. I have no clue why it hasn't been picked up anywhere else yet.
seccom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject:

poiuyt wrote:
Rockets have a lottery protected first round 2015 pick from New Orleans, but gave their 2015 first round pick to us.

It is quite possible if Asik, Davis, Holiday, Gordon and Anderson are all healthy for a full year.

Holiday
Gordon
Anderson
Davis
Asik

Last year, all of them are out for a extend period of time especially Holiday and Anderson.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

seccom wrote:
poiuyt wrote:

It is quite possible if Asik, Davis, Holiday, Gordon and Anderson are all healthy for a full year.

Holiday
Gordon
Anderson
Davis
Asik

Last year, all of them are out for a extend period of time especially Holiday and Anderson.

Davis is ready to have that amazing breakout year. now that he has a good defensive center, he's going to be even more dangerous. Ryan Anderson will be off the bench, but you also have Tyreke Evans on that squad. I can see them smelling a 7-8 seed.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject:

Davis, I thought, had a breakout year last season. Now, it's just about consistency over the full 82. The leap he made from year 1 to 2 blew me away ... I never thought he'd become that type of offensive player at all, let alone that soon. It was a quantum leap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Davis, I thought, had a breakout year last season. Now, it's just about consistency over the full 82. The leap he made from year 1 to 2 blew me away ... I never thought he'd become that type of offensive player at all, let alone that soon. It was a quantum leap.

Part of the problem was battling centers. Now Asik will help out. I see another leap in his game, starting with durability. He's the "Next One" in my book after LBJ, Durant.

Cue up Davis to Lakers in 2025 (or whatever year he's off his first max contract).
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

Davis is a monster. Sad that he's going to be playing out his career on a team that's called the Pelicans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: The case for Delon Wright

Being that we have Houston's pick and our pick is going to be somewhere in the late teens or early 20s most likely.

If you're looking for a 'point guard' that's a passer as well as skilled, I'd strongly recommend Delon Wright. He'll come into his 2nd year of college this year. His first year he averaged 15.5p/6.8r/5.3a/2.5stls/1.3blks a game his first year, and shot 56% from the field(63% on 2 pointers) and that was in his first year. He has very sneaky quicks and a lightning fast first step. He has a very smooth, controlled and paced game, not too high not too low, has patience to wait to turn on the jets instead of having them on all the time. That's why I called his quicks sneaky because he doesn't seem quick till he shows it and when he shows it he's left the top of the key where he was defended at the rim already.

Flown under the radar for the most part and will likely get more attention this year. Dropped 23/12/6 on Fresno State at 75% shooting, 14/7/6 at 60% shooting on OregonSt, 27/11/9 on 58% shooting on Washington, 22/6/5/6steals as well as 20/9/5 on USC, 19/6/4 on Arizona, 17/11/7 on Colorado, 22/9/6 on ArizSt in 100% shooting. So he's got a lot of talent and he's flown under the radar a bit which is why he's going to hopefully be within our range unless he impresses more this year in his 2nd year and moves up. If he stays under the radar he could fall to the Lakers.

You may want to check him out. If Clarkson is a scoring point guard/shooting guard/combo guard, Wright is more of a pure point and both of them could be used effectively with each other or playing next to each other.

Just worth taking a look at.

1:04 to see him use his first step.

He's also from Los Angeles but that's beside the point. I'm sure the Lakers have an eye on him but just in case some of you guys haven't seen him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: The case for Delon Wright

MJST wrote:
Being that we have Houston's pick and our pick is going to be somewhere in the late teens or early 20s most likely.

If you're looking for a 'point guard' that's a passer as well as skilled, I'd strongly recommend Delon Wright. He'll come into his 2nd year of college this year. His first year he averaged 15.5p/6.8r/5.3a/2.5stls/1.3blks a game his first year, and shot 56% from the field(63% on 2 pointers) and that was in his first year. He has very sneaky quicks and a lightning fast first step. He has a very smooth, controlled and paced game, not too high not too low, has patience to wait to turn on the jets instead of having them on all the time. That's why I called his quicks sneaky because he doesn't seem quick till he shows it and when he shows it he's left the top of the key where he was defended at the rim already.

Flown under the radar for the most part and will likely get more attention this year. Dropped 23/12/6 on Fresno State at 75% shooting, 14/7/6 at 60% shooting on OregonSt, 27/11/9 on 58% shooting on Washington, 22/6/5/6steals as well as 20/9/5 on USC, 19/6/4 on Arizona, 17/11/7 on Colorado, 22/9/6 on ArizSt in 100% shooting. So he's got a lot of talent and he's flown under the radar a bit which is why he's going to hopefully be within our range unless he impresses more this year in his 2nd year and moves up. If he stays under the radar he could fall to the Lakers.

You may want to check him out. If Clarkson is a scoring point guard/shooting guard/combo guard, Wright is more of a pure point and both of them could be used effectively with each other or playing next to each other.

Just worth taking a look at.

1:04 to see him use his first step.

He's also from Los Angeles but that's beside the point. I'm sure the Lakers have an eye on him but just in case some of you guys haven't seen him.

Nice first post.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: