Stephen A. Smith -- SUSPENDED by ESPN for Domestic Violence Remarks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Stephen A. Smith -- SUSPENDED by ESPN for Domestic Violence Remarks

Quote:
ESPN is yanking Stephen A. Smith off the air for the comments he made about women and domestic violence last week.

The network says Smith will not appear on his show "First Take" or on ESPN Radio for a week. During a discussion last week about Ray Rice's suspension -- Stephen A. said he would tell women to make sure they're not doing anything "to provoke wrong actions" ... in addition to telling men what NOT to do.

This morning on "First Take" Smith apologized -- and ESPN released a statment, saying ... “We will continue to have constructive dialogue on this important topic. Stephen’s comments last Friday do not reflect our company’s point of view."

The network continued ... "As his apology demonstrates, he recognizes his mistakes and has a deeper appreciation of our company values.”

Smith's comments also infuriated fellow ESPN anchor Michelle Beadle. She's yet to react to his suspension.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/29/stephen-a-smith-suspended-espn-domestic-violence-ray-rice-michelle-beadle/#ixzz38tTJPJ00

http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/29/stephen-a-smith-suspended-espn-domestic-violence-ray-rice-michelle-beadle/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

This subject got locked yesterday. Can't see this thread lasting long.
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
This subject got locked yesterday. Can't see this thread lasting long.

Why?

I worked really hard to copy and paste this from twitter.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Smith provoked ESPN by taking the wrong actions.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

ESPN viewers used to care about sports. I'm ashamed that a lot of sport water cooler talk is the type of format that Smith and Skip's character run. They can penalize Smith if they want, but it's on them. Gone are the days of Edge NFL matchup helping diagram a play, we're in an era that starts off "can you believe what SAS/Skip said?"
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to hear that, First Take won't be the same. Wonder who's going to replace him for a week?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Its a week by then this will blow over and someone will do or say something stupid

Rinse. Repeat.

I do think this was in large part to Michelle Beadle's response to the whole thing

I bet if Cari Champion or Jemele Hill said it they wouldn't have bothered.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Its a week by then this will blow over and someone will do or say something stupid

Rinse. Repeat.

I do think this was in large part to Michelle Beadle's response to the whole thing

Cari has the looks, Jemele has the knowledge. When she was on First Take I saw her cause SAS to button his lip. Jemele doesn't look bad since her weight loss.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:

He should be suspended for being a (bleep) journalist.

!...
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Who thought this guy should be on TV/Radio? He sounds like the Gza yelling at the top of his lungs.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Well, I guess the safest approach if you don't want to offend people is to stay away from potentially controversial subjects.

As a show, first take should talk about sports, if you allow discussion to veer off into the rights and wrongs of domestic violence with outspoken hosts of the show, don't act surprised when one of them says something inappropriate.

SAS said what he said, and later apologized. He's taking a punishment for that, and hopefully it'll be the end of it.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Who thought this guy should be on TV/Radio? He sounds like the Gza yelling at the top of his lungs.

That's his schtick.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Well, I guess the safest approach if you don't want to offend people is to stay away from potentially controversial subjects.

As a show, first take should talk about sports, if you allow discussion to veer off into the rights and wrongs of domestic violence with outspoken hosts of the show, don't act surprised when one of them says something inappropriate.

SAS said what he said, and later apologized. He's taking a punishment for that, and hopefully it'll be the end of it.

Yep and this isn't this first time he's said something along those lines the only difference is Michelle Beadle took issue with it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Moses wrote:

Yep and this isn't this first time he's said something along those lines the only difference is Michelle Beadle took issue with it.

YEP

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Rinse. Repeat.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a power play on her behalf. She comes back to ESPN and stakes her territory, Stephen A. Smith is out. Look for him to go to Fox Sports 1 or something.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Rinse. Repeat.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a power play on her behalf. She comes back to ESPN and stakes her territory, Stephen A. Smith is out. Look for him to go to Fox Sports 1 or something.

I hope not. I watch First Take to see Skip and SAS. They are the Laurel and Hardy of sports talk shows.

Andrew Evenstar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

please don't disrespect the genius.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Rinse. Repeat.

Interesting I never considered it I mean she left NBC Sports and went back to ESPN.

Wonder if she'll fill in for SAS on First Take.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Andrew Evenstar wrote:
C M B wrote:

please don't disrespect the genius.

The Saga Continues.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
ESPN viewers used to care about sports. I'm ashamed that a lot of sport water cooler talk is the type of format that Smith and Skip's character run. They can penalize Smith if they want, but it's on them. Gone are the days of Edge NFL matchup helping diagram a play, we're in an era that starts off "can you believe what SAS/Skip said?"
First take is about everything around sports on and off the field, its always been that. There are shows that are mostly about sports, first take isnt. Espn has like 4-5 channels and in all them channels they have to fill it up with soemthing.

Here is the greatest thing about it. People can skip it on their tv's
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

LINK

ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

LINK

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Moses wrote:

Her response though was moronic and completely missed the point.

I'm pretty surprised they'd suspend him for what he said. Then again, we're a God-fearing nation that still hasn't recovered from Janet Jackson's nipple.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
First take is about everything around sports on and off the field, its always been that. There are shows that are mostly about sports, first take isnt. Espn has like 4-5 channels and in all them channels they have to fill it up with soemthing.

Here is the greatest thing about it. People can skip it on their tv's

I've seen the show. In its early days there was a balance, but last time I checked it wasn't anywhere close. Skip may be that crazy, but more likely he is paid to find a way to make something controversial. Screamin' A is paid to beat a dead horse colorfully until something he says gets people thinking. When you're desperate to just be relevant, you end up with insensitive remarks and Richard Sherman near tears screaming at an old man that he's better at life than him. I get that they want to draw out drama from something sports related, but when you work to hard at that this is your end result. To each their own that enjoy it, its just that ESPN shouldn't be shocked when this kind of thing happens.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: