What's your expectations for next season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Expectations for next year?
NBA Lottery
41%
 41%  [ 57 ]
NBA Playoffs
38%
 38%  [ 53 ]
NBA Finals
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NBA Championship
19%
 19%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 136

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject:

Lottery.
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

You know this poll is a troll when 20 people expect a championship lol
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
As I said in another thread, 10-12 game improvement. Realistically, IMO, the goal should end up being ending at least the season at .500. That'd be a 14 game improvement and that would mean things are moving in the right direction.

Last year's record is misleading. It doesn't truly reflect the team.

The amount of injuries they had was unprecedented. That team would have been .500 if they had been reasonably healthy. (even without Kobe)

Agreed. Talent wise, I'd say we're about even relative to last year's team. Which is why a 10-12 game improvement makes total sense.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Agreed. Talent wise, I'd say we're about even relative to last year's team. Which is why a 10-12 game improvement makes total sense.

I think the most important improvement from the last 2 years is that we have someone who will stress defense and won't put up with any excuses for not giving effort.....

next year's team is in a better position to succeed imagine all the workouts and training Kobe did to add more moves to his game.... I think we are gonna do really well..... and if we can find a anchor at the C spot and a SF before training-camp we would be very dangerous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I think the most important improvement from the last 2 years is that we have someone who will stress defense and won't put up with any excuses for not giving effort.....

next year's team is in a better position to succeed imagine all the workouts and training Kobe did to add more moves to his game.... I think we are gonna do really well..... and if we can find a anchor at the C spot and a SF before training-camp we would be very dangerous.

Agreed we have someone who "stresses" defense, but not necessarily the defenders to execute a top defensive system. I think it will be better than last year, but that was an all-time crappy defensive team.

I don't think teams will quake at our defense next year. But glad our coach realizes this.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but don't share it. Remember, you predicted we'd win the West last season.

Kobe was 34 the last time he played a full season and he's 36 coming in to the next one. He's coming off an achilles tear. The major change in his game is that you're going to see a much higher percentage of jump shots from distance than you have in years past.

Although I do agree with your point that if we can find a two-way anchor to man the C position and a two-way slashing/shooting SF we could be dangerous. But since we are not going to find those, we're not going to be very dangerous. That's just reality.

But sure, we're just 4-5 players away from being dangerous.
poiuyt
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject:

Heroic effort from Kobe for the entire season, 30 PPG, scoring title, but team doesn't make playoffs.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

IMO, just being healthy should improve us by 10 games or so. Strong coaching should get at least 10 more. Assuming we stay mostly healthy I expect playoffs.
lakerglory
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
IMO, just being healthy should improve us by 10 games or so. Strong coaching should get at least 10 more. Assuming we stay mostly healthy I expect playoffs.

This!!

I also think that if all goes well starting in preseason this team can carry over that wining mentality to the regular season and may over achieve making the playoffs next year with 50-55 wins.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

lakerglory wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:

This!!

I also think that if all goes well starting in preseason this team can carry over that wining mentality to the regular season and may over achieve making the playoffs next year with 50-55 wins.

There are only 2 coaches that are strong enough to get an incremental 10 wins out of a team and Byron Scott is not either of those coaches or anywhere near it.

It took the best coach of all time to get 10 net wins in previous years.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:

Lottery. I don't want to disappoint myself with high expectations.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject:

I don't have any expectations. That's the beauty. I'm preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. Playing with house money is fun....plus it bodes well for my BP.

Kiss my Converse.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I expect improvement.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

MorlockO wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
25 wins, 57 losses, and a chance at a top-5 pick, but only luck will tell.

we will be worse than last year? why?

Less Pau, less Farmar, less Kaman, more Lin, probably more Young, more Boozer, maybe more Beasley... Young and Beasley in particular are what I consider "subtraction by addition" guys.

At this point in their careers and their respective conditions, I'm not certain that losing Pau and gaining Kobe is a net gain. In fact, I suspect it's a slight negative.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
lakerglory wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:

This!!

There are only 2 coaches that are strong enough to get an incremental 10 wins out of a team and Byron Scott is not either of those coaches or anywhere near it.

It took the best coach of all time to get 10 net wins in previous years.

Agreed I think hiring Scott is the right move at the right time. However, he's an average coach with average ability. 10 wins due to Scott's coaching isn't happening. Give me Pop and or Carlisle, then we're talking.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Xtreme wrote:
Look at how many ppl pick tanking

Not all losing is tanking. Most of it is plain old sucking.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
As I said in another thread, 10-12 game improvement. Realistically, IMO, the goal should end up being ending at least the season at .500. That'd be a 14 game improvement and that would mean things are moving in the right direction.

Last year's record is misleading. It doesn't truly reflect the team.

The amount of injuries they had was unprecedented. That team would have been .500 if they had been reasonably healthy. (even without Kobe)

Have to disagree with you there on the talent assessment. I believe that we're loads better.

Lin is a talk solid talent. Boozer is an excellent p&r talent. Kobe healthy adds 12-15 games by himself.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Just play harder than last season.

Lock the door to the training room.

No more injury excuses, no more soft defense, no more D"Antoni Chucker Ball.

Time to play defense, pound the ball inside and play a lot of players and keep everyone fresh.

C - Hill, Davis, Sacre
PF - Boozer, Randle, Kelly
SF - Johnson, Henry (Beasley? Marion? No one?)
SG - Bryant, Young
PG - Nash, Lin, Clarkson

I would love to see them add a vet SF like Marion. He would be a great signing.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping for either late playoffs seed or such a bad start that they start to think about keeping the pick.

The only place I don't want us to be is the place I think we likely end up. Better than D'Antoni era, Scott is well received, Kobe brings back competitiveness and respectability to the Lakers. But we end up in that 9th-11th spot in the very good West. You can win 42 games and be a 10th/11th ranked team.

Either way, so long as Randle shows me that he's going to be a star sooner than later, I'll be okay with however the season plays out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersScale
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:

I'm seeing Lakers winning 25 to 30 games this season. The lakers roster is new and needed time to gell. Also Kobe is back from a bad injury so at most he's 70% himself.
Axshun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

My guess would be fighting for the final playoff spot and missing the playoffs. What sucks is that we most likely won't be able to keep our pick if that were the case.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

Playoffs are always a possibility with a Kobe Bryant on your team 100% healthy or not.
In this case I have to be somewhat realistic because basketball teams have success after some period of time together and all of the players that we have, hasn't had significant time together except the one year guys who made up the team last year and they're not enough to bank on.

The possible starting five of: Lin/Kobe/Johnson/Boozer/Hill will need to develop some type of chemistry in the first 3 weeks in order to be successful and that might be too late. If we're rotating roster spots for matchups we're going to be in trouble.

I hopeful for a playoff, but then I wouldn't be happy to get there and lose out, so I rather have a lotto pick.
Lukellipsis
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

42 wins
but I am excited for this season to start!
GO LAKERS
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
Playoffs are always a possibility with a Kobe Bryant on your team 100% healthy or not.
In this case I have to be somewhat realistic because basketball teams have success after some period of time together and all of the players that we have, hasn't had significant time together except the one year guys who made up the team last year and they're not enough to bank on.

The possible starting five of: Lin/Kobe/Johnson/Boozer/Hill will need to develop some type of chemistry in the first 3 weeks in order to be successful and that might be too late. If we're rotating roster spots for matchups we're going to be in trouble.

I hopeful for a playoff, but then I wouldn't be happy to get there and lose out, so I rather have a lotto pick.

Not true. Playoffs were never a possibility last year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:

As for now, mid-40's in wins, upper 40's with some luck. The playoffs will depend on how other teams do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: