Kobe Optimism Thread: Return of the Mamba
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan Freeman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject:

He's ready. Finals MVP, bet on it!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
I expect three stages of kobe. First, introductory kobe. This is a warm-up, take-it-easy kobe with about 70% power for about 20 games. Second, intermediate level kobe, using 90% power for another 20 games. Finally, an advanced Kobe using full power for the remaining 42 games.

I can only hope that during the first two stages the lakers can hover around 40 to 50 percent winning record. During these stages, I hope the supporting casts will compensate the "lack" of kobe before gearing up in the final stage.

So folks, expect a lot of kobe bashings in the first half of the season. I do hope Kobe will be patient with himself and the team. He cannot afford another knee and probably a season-ending injury after a relatively long rest.

Go lakers!

That is a mature and frankly realistic way to look at it.

People forget how long a grind the NBA season is. Kobe is going to need to stay healthy first and foremost...if he can play in say 75 of the 82 regular season games, we have a chance to be a fringe playoff team.

He isn't going to be the Kobe of old playing huge minutes and dominating from the opening game on if we want him available in the spring.

I will be curious to see if Scott is just talking about defense or if he is really going to hold guys accountable for D or lack of D. That has been sorely missing from the team and in my opinion we will not win until some semblence of defensive order has been restored.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
I expect three stages of kobe. First, introductory kobe. This is a warm-up, take-it-easy kobe with about 70% power for about 20 games. Second, intermediate level kobe, using 90% power for another 20 games. Finally, an advanced Kobe using full power for the remaining 42 games.

I can only hope that during the first two stages the lakers can hover around 40 to 50 percent winning record. During these stages, I hope the supporting casts will compensate the "lack" of kobe before gearing up in the final stage.

So folks, expect a lot of kobe bashings in the first half of the season. I do hope Kobe will be patient with himself and the team. He cannot afford another knee and probably a season-ending injury after a relatively long rest.

Go lakers!

That is a mature and frankly realistic way to look at it.

People forget how long a grind the NBA season is. Kobe is going to need to stay healthy first and foremost...if he can play in say 75 of the 82 regular season games, we have a chance to be a fringe playoff team.

He isn't going to be the Kobe of old playing huge minutes and dominating from the opening game on if we want him available in the spring.

I will be curious to see if Scott is just talking about defense or if he is really going to hold guys accountable for D or lack of D. That has been sorely missing from the team and in my opinion we will not win until some semblence of defensive order has been restored.

Nice take on defense. To play defense a team must have defensive-minded players. I honestly don't see many on the new set of roster. But the good thing is defensive plays can be taught to a committed squad.
We know Kobe will be a one-on-one defensive liability probably up to a first half of the season. But he can be an effective team defensive tool.
The team success thus depends on how good the supporting casts will be able to compensate the ecpected lack of defense and offense from the leader.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject:

We're going to see some 40+ points, book it!

33 mpg
28.5 ppg
6 rpg
5 apg
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Strange peeps are speculating on his stats rather than number of games he'll actually play.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

Go lakers!

This is what I'm hoping for as well. Seems like this is what they tried last year with him in the six games he played, slowly increasing his minutes from high 20's to low 30's. I guess the only problem was that his body wasn't full ready to return yet from that Achilles repair. Hopefully he won't try to go over 36 minutes and 20 shot attempts in the beginning of the season. Give himself a chance to build up confidence in his body incrementally.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:
Strange peeps are speculating on his stats rather than number of games he'll actually play.

One of my Kobe hating buddies offered another buddy (big Kobe fan) over/under of 36 games for $100. He wouldn't take it.

I should have jumped it as I see him playing 70 games.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Kobe will probably average like 35/5/5
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:

25 ppg. its the pace, he's going to post up, hit the outside jumpers and pass more when doubled. I think he's going to utilize his teammates better than ever before, 7 apg. I have a hunch Byron and he will do well together.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
25 ppg. its the pace, he's going to post up, hit the outside jumpers and pass more when doubled. I think he's going to utilize his teammates better than ever before, 7 apg. I have a hunch Byron and he will do well together.

I like the confidence
Dreamy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

I think Kobe will be similar to Wizards Jordan, but a bit better. 20-22 PPG with an occasional 35-40 pt outburst.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject:

At the press conference, Byron mentioned Kobe might play some PG. But maybe he will end up more in the post with players like Lin, Randle and Nash I guess setting him up. I see him getting 26ppg,5rpg and 4apg if utilized as a post player or 25ppg, 5rpg and 6apg as a PG.
Triple Double
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I foresee Byron giving Kobe more breaks during games as well as some nights off. I think Scott is tough enough to push for that.

Also, I see Byron trying to get Kobe more efficient like more post ups, kinda like when Kobe was forcing that offense on Antoni.

Finally, pick n rolls, pick n pops will be helpful in getting the rest of the team involved and for kobe to freelenace offensively.

As for stats, I can see 26/ 6 and 6!!!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject:

http://instagram.com/p/rMVMvoKmrO/?modal=true
kobe doin a little work in the gym. working on a little pivot/faceup move.

actually, really like this lowkey move. that first jabstep(is rare) , and its the difference between the defender giving you space when you face up or not. usually the defender has no reason to give you space -- that jab step is smart
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I approve of this thread very much.

shoulder doc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Realistically usually an Achilles injury is career ending for a 36-year-old professional basketball player.

However, there is an interesting aspect of Kobe's injury that I am surprised I haven't seen been mentioned from the medical experts that are on ESPN. He injured his Left Achilles. Most people are right leg dominant so theoretically his strong leg is not affected by the Achilles. Typical basketball player when they rupture there Achilles injures it's the right leg or first step dominant leg.

I think Kobe knows this and part of the reason he's been so adamant that he would return his old self. he already adapted his game to a perimeter game based on skill and footwork and not athleticism. So if there's one guy on the planet who can defy the medical odds at age 36 from Achilles, it's Kobe Bryant.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
http://instagram.com/p/rMVMvoKmrO/?modal=true
kobe doin a little work in the gym. working on a little pivot/faceup move.

actually, really like this lowkey move. that first jabstep(is rare) , and its the difference between the defender giving you space when you face up or not. usually the defender has no reason to give you space -- that jab step is smart

The difference between all time legends and all stars. All stars spend their summers playing pick up games, legends spend their summers perfecting the little things and adding something new. Kobe is just going to shock the World.
kobe209
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
I want a Kobe that doesnt feel the need to take 25 shots per game....A Kobe who realizes he is no longer a youngun, plays smart BB and doesn't try to do it all on his own.

Ya, I can't wait to see Boozer and Swaggy put up 15 shots a piece

IG: wywsabaywb
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

Great thread. I think Kobe's gonna shut a lot of ppl up this yr. I love if there's one person in the world that doesn't need more motivation it's Kobe. His intrinsic drive is probably better than MJ even.

I don't anyone maximized their talent better than Kobe has. In history. That includes the mugsy boges of the world. I see him ramping up to a nice 25/6/7 at 33mpg. Byron is headstrong enough to bench Kobe, which he needs. You can't let Kobe dictate his own minutes. I don't think Kobe hurts his Achilles if Phil was there.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

kobe209 wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
I want a Kobe that doesnt feel the need to take 25 shots per game....A Kobe who realizes he is no longer a youngun, plays smart BB and doesn't try to do it all on his own.

Ya, I can't wait to see Boozer and Swaggy put up 15 shots a piece

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
Great thread. I think Kobe's gonna shut a lot of ppl up this yr. I love if there's one person in the world that doesn't need more motivation it's Kobe. His intrinsic drive is probably better than MJ even.

I don't anyone maximized their talent better than Kobe has. In history. That includes the mugsy boges of the world. I see him ramping up to a nice 25/6/7 at 33mpg. Byron is headstrong enough to bench Kobe, which he needs. You can't let Kobe dictate his own minutes. I don't think Kobe hurts his Achilles if Phil was there.

Agreed about that. He would not have burned out under Phil. Yet another reason the front office (bleep) up.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

I'd like to see Kobe average a career high in assists. This would keep him fresh and maybe add another year to his career. But of course that will depend on the rest of our team, especially our 3-pt shooting and the offensive acumen of the coaching staff.
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject:

If he can stay healthy, top 10 shouldn't be a problem for Mamba.
jlin1
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject:

He'll post an average of 20+ ppg if he plays regularly, I'm pretty sure of that.

Other than that, I have no idea what to expect from bryant or the lakers.

I'm predicting 35 - 42 wins, depending upon injuries or lack thereof.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: