Do you want Michael Beasley to sign with the Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Beasley to the Lakers?
Yes.
64%
 64%  [ 234 ]
No.
35%
 35%  [ 127 ]
Total Votes : 361

LakersForever
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

Nothing to loose here. Need some more nba experience. We have had rodman, rider, other head cases, some worked some did not.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject:

HobKobLin wrote:
HobKobLin wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
6 years into the NBA, roughly

Odom 16 ppg/8 rpg/5 apg
Beasley 13 ppg/5 rpg/1 apg

Even with drug issues and playing for the Clippers, Odom showed he was worth a 6 year massive contract, made team USA, led Miami to the playoffs in 2003-04 and was part of the big Shaq/Miami trade.

Statistically, again, not even close, totally in Lamar's favor.

Do not see the comparisons at all. Lamar was a far, far better defender, rebounder and team player. The only thing comparable is their drug issues early on in their careers. Talent ad production wise, Odom smokes Beasley, pun intended.

Ok, so far this is all I've got:

Through 6 seasons Lamar Odom had averaged 36 minutes per game

Through 6 seasons Beasley has averaged 24.9 minutes per game.

So Odom's #'s better be higher at that point.

I know it's not a great player comparison but just to finish this thought, their per 36#'s would be:

Odom 16/8/5 (just went with your #'s)
Beasley 18.79/7.2/1.5

Ever consider there is a reason that Beasley only plays 25 mpg?

Odom was a legitimate starter in the NBA. Beasley is at best a scoring punch off the bench. Lakers have that in Young with a lot less downside.

The HC can only put up with Beasley's liabilities for so long. Below average defender, rebounder and playmaker. On a good night he is a slightly above average iso scorer.

Lakers need to develop team chemistry this year. IMO Beasley would disrupt it. More likely that Kobe is MVP then Beasley can be a solid player all year.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
even today, he still has special talent scoring the ball from 18feet and in.
and yes, of course, he'll space the floor when necessary dont worry

And if Byron runs a lot of Princeton, those sets typically have a ton of elbow action. I could see Beasley receiving that entry, turning and facing, and killing people in isolation from there.
LakersForever
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
gooner wrote:
kwase wrote:
gooner wrote:
kwase wrote:
Beasley is an idiot! Personally, I've got something against stupid people so my vote is NO!

Define stupid.

Someone who doesn't apply themselves. They have every opportunity given to them and instead they choose to do what they know is wrong and dumb.

Ignorance is not knowing any better. Growing up with limited access to knowledge, education & being around people that feed you nothing but negativity.

Lamar?

Lamar just has a weak mind and a good heart.

Here's the difference though, IMO.

Lamar had superstar talent. Lamar Odom really was one of the rarest players you'll ever see in the NBA. How many guys do you see in the NBA with his length, athleticism (in prime Lamar) who handle the ball, shoot 3's and play like PG's? It's really rare. Not since Magic was there a guy who was doing it, and not since Lamar have I seen a new 6'10 guy come in and do this. There's obviously Lebron James, but Lebron has the power of a big guy but not the length. You look at Lamar, he truly could have played all 5 positions in the new modern NBA. He is a very, very special talent. He should have been a 8-10 time all-star but due to his mindset and lack of a killer work ethic didn't have that sort of career.

Then factor defense, boards. Lamar was always willing to finish the night with 4 points, 12 boards and playing D. Beasley is the opposite, he'll finish with 10-12 shots, 15 points, but won't board or defend consistently.

Beasley at best, a good 6th man on a bad team. Sort of like Nick Young was for us last year. On a contender? He's not a big minute player (Look at Miami). Unless you want to be a bad team like the Wolves team he played on, Beasley has no business being a big minute player on a contender. He doesn't play D.

Final note on Lamar. Phil once said one of the most overlooked things in Lamar's games is how he'll be able to throw passes from that 7+ wingspan from the perimeter into the post or to a guy curling. It's one of the most unnoticed yet important things for a player who is supposed to compliment a team to have.

To me, Beasley doesn't even come 20% close to what Lamar's talent and skill level were. The only area where Beasley has ground with Lamar on is scoring in 1 on 1 situations. Other than that, Lamar in his prime blows away Beasley in every department.

So I guess the next question is - is Beasley's 1 on 1 game needed? Does it compliment Kobe? Do we have enough 1 on 1 guys? I certainly wouldn't want Beasley to get opportunities when I have a young Randle I want to see get them in the same scoring areas. I certainly don't want to see an offense where Beasley and Young are taking turns 1 on 1. Well maybe I do, because I'd like to keep our top 5 pick .

Some really good points here. Ill need to think more.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject:

Why are we comparing LO and Beasley? They're skillset and salaries are world's apart.

A better comparison would be to one dimensional knuckle headed bench scorers like Nick Young or JR Smith. Nick Young was one of my most hated players in the entire league but he showed me a lot last year. And I personally like guys who can get you 20 points off the bench when the starters are gassed.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Why are we comparing LO and Beasley? They're skillset and salaries are world's apart.

A better comparison would be to one dimensional knuckle headed bench scorers like Nick Young or JR Smith. Nick Young was one of my most hated players in the entire league but he showed me a lot last year. And I personally like guys who can get you 20 points off the bench when the starters are gassed.

Good point.
Also, when comparing, we need to consider the price--league minimum.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

Yes, you sign him. Our weakest position is at the SF,( that and backup PG) and I don't trust Wesley. We're rebuilding and not contending so signing him for a 1 year rental isn't going to hurt us. If he gives you any trouble, waive him.
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject:

if he can stay off drugs and be meta#2 then hell ya
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Yes, you sign him. Our weakest position is at the SF,( that and backup PG) and I don't trust Wesley. We're rebuilding and not contending so signing him for a 1 year rental isn't going to hurt us. If he gives you any trouble, waive him.

Kobe, Young & Johnson will all spend time at the 3. I am not sure that is the weakest spot. Lack of depth at PG and really only one center on the roster is probably a weaker spot.

Still Beasley is already as good as half the roster so yes, he is worth taking a gamble on.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

Kobe, Young & Johnson will all spend time at the 3. I am not sure that is the weakest spot. Lack of depth at PG and really only one center on the roster is probably a weaker spot.

Still Beasley is already as good as half the roster so yes, he is worth taking a gamble on.

Better at what? Iso buckets?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:

Yes, that's my point. Beasley is similar to Nick Young in terms of what he could bring to the team. He's the sort of guy you could see come off the bench and go 1 on 1, shoot a lot of shots and score. Some nights he'd be on, others not.

And while every team could use ONE guy like that, we already have that guy in Nick Young. Also realize he'll likely be coming off the bench, with Nick Young. And who do we have coming off the bench with them (most likely)? Randle. Great, lets take away more shots for Julius.

So then it becomes what's the real benefit? Is he an impact player? Nope. Is he going to make a difference for us in terms of helping us longterm? Nope, he's going to come in on a vet min, hoping to max out stats wise and then go to the highest bidder.

Historically, teams who bring in vet min guys to win, want to bring in vets who've already proved themselves and now want to help a team as a veteran presence. The Lakers roster is already pretty much set. To me it make little sense to bring in a guy who just takes shots and touches away from players you want to be there longterm. If Beasley played the PG or C position, I'd have quite a different opinion. The fact that we already signed Boozer, and Randle is already likely a backup, to now go and get another forward who would take up minutes and lots of shots, I'm just not digging the idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PauXXL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

Obviously the more time goes bye, the less likely we sign Beasley. I would realy like Beasley on this team, I just don't think it going to happen.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

Wolf - Correct me if I'm wrong but there are only 2 players on the roster with contracts past 2016. So in reality it's hard to claim that any other players on the roster are in the front office's long term plans.

And if things go as the front office plans, I don't think Boozer and Wes will be brought back next season. Hill and Davis can easily be seen as trade bait. Everyone in the front court aside from Randle is expendable. So I don't see why we wouldn't want to take a chance on developing another young talented 3/4 on a minimum contract.

If turns the corner now that he's 25, he can come back like Young did. If he doesn't turn the corner, then you just cut ties and move on.

But it's all just personal opinion about his fit. I'm not going to lose sleep over it one way or the other.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

Xtreme wrote:
if he can stay off drugs and be meta#2 then hell ya

Even if he stays off drugs, I don't think his defense is ever going to come close to matching mwp.

Not to mention, he's not very lovable either.
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject:

No way. While the guy does possess a load of talent, he's repeated a pattern of risky behavior over and over. Sure I hope he's able to overcome his problems and get his life in order, but I don't think the Lakers should sign him.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/8/6/4594902/phoenix-suns-michael-beasley-a-timeline-of-self-destructive-behavior
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject:

HobKobLin wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
6 years into the NBA, roughly

Odom 16 ppg/8 rpg/5 apg
Beasley 13 ppg/5 rpg/1 apg

Even with drug issues and playing for the Clippers, Odom showed he was worth a 6 year massive contract, made team USA, led Miami to the playoffs in 2003-04 and was part of the big Shaq/Miami trade.

Statistically, again, not even close, totally in Lamar's favor.

Do not see the comparisons at all. Lamar was a far, far better defender, rebounder and team player. The only thing comparable is their drug issues early on in their careers. Talent ad production wise, Odom smokes Beasley, pun intended.

Ok, so far this is all I've got:

Through 6 seasons Lamar Odom had averaged 36 minutes per game

Through 6 seasons Beasley has averaged 24.9 minutes per game.

So Odom's #'s better be higher at that point.

You should ask yourself why the 2nd player drafted overall in 2008 has averaged only 24.9 mpg through six seasons.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever wrote:
Nothing to loose here. Need some more nba experience. We have had rodman, rider, other head cases, some worked some did not.

Artest worked. That's it. On a team that was defending champion and had a wealth of leadership (Jackson, his staff, Bryant, Gasol, Fisher, Odom, a living Jerry Buss, etc).
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Wolf - Correct me if I'm wrong but there are only 2 players on the roster with contracts past 2016. So in reality it's hard to claim that any other players on the roster are in the front office's long term plans.

And if things go as the front office plans, I don't think Boozer and Wes will be brought back next season. Hill and Davis can easily be seen as trade bait. Everyone in the front court aside from Randle is expendable. So I don't see why we wouldn't want to take a chance on developing another young talented 3/4 on a minimum contract.

If turns the corner now that he's 25, he can come back like Young did. If he doesn't turn the corner, then you just cut ties and move on.

But it's all just personal opinion about his fit. I'm not going to lose sleep over it one way or the other.

I respect your POV, and it's not so much that I'm against bringing in young guys for the Vet min, it's just that I don't see Beasley as a player worth taking up PT for Randle and opportunity for Randle. If Beas played the PG or C position where we have needs (We don't have a true starting C, or a starting PG if you consider Lin as a good backup) I'd be happy to take him on. The main argument I'm making is that he doesn't fit. It's not so much about being against Beasley's talent. A year ago I was actually hoping we could snatch him before Riley did. It was a different scenario. We didn't have Boozer, Randle and a healthy Kobe on the roster able to play PF/SF (If you assume Young will play SG, and Kobe SF). I just don't see where Beasley fits this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

Another thing everyone is ignoring is injury concerns... Like last year, over half our team went down. Not everyone is guna stay healthy for the duration of the season. So for argument sake, let's say both Xavier and Wes go down.. Who's guna replace them in the rotation?? With Beasley on the roster, u got the answer right there. But everyone keeps talking as if were guna have all 13 players on our current roster for the entire season, when a couple inevitable injuries would leave us short handed with the quickness. Beasley is the epitome of low risk-high reward. Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't signed him yet.

Last edited by Sccit on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:46 am; edited 2 times in total
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

We'll probably just roll with a center by committee position, and you're probably right about that being out weakest position. Aside from that, I don't believe Wes will be engaged all year long...he tends to become disinterested and 'float' for a portion of the year. I'm not saying Beasley will be any better, but I'd take a chance on a vet minimum contract for 1 year in a rebuilding year.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

Getting Beasley should be a priority... he's the only realistic option at the 3 spot that can give us offense and defense.... I also think Beasley is gonna try to change his ways if he becomes a Laker because we have good leaders like Scott/Magic and others who will sit down and talk with him if he needs help....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Getting Beasley should be a priority... he's the only realistic option at the 3 spot that can give us offense and defense.... I also think Beasley is gonna try to change his ways if he becomes a Laker because we have good leaders like Scott/Magic and others who will sit down and talk with him if he needs help....

Also said by minny. Then Phx. Then miami. I guess we can be next. but at the minimum what the heck.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

Good point Scott. We know Kobe is going to miss games due to age, wear and tear etc. Henry and Young both were hurt last year and missed games. We need depth, and Beasley would provide that.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject:

None of those teams have good leaders.... also Pat Riley is not a leader he's thrown players under the bus plenty of times.....
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Good point Scott. We know Kobe is going to miss games due to age, wear and tear etc. Henry and Young both were hurt last year and missed games. We need depth, and Beasley would provide that.

Sccit lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14
Jump to: