Do you want Michael Beasley to sign with the Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Beasley to the Lakers?
Yes.
64%
 64%  [ 234 ]
No.
35%
 35%  [ 127 ]
Total Votes : 361

gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
gooner wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
HobKobLin wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
6 years into the NBA, roughly

Odom 16 ppg/8 rpg/5 apg
Beasley 13 ppg/5 rpg/1 apg

Even with drug issues and playing for the Clippers, Odom showed he was worth a 6 year massive contract, made team USA, led Miami to the playoffs in 2003-04 and was part of the big Shaq/Miami trade.

Statistically, again, not even close, totally in Lamar's favor.

Do not see the comparisons at all. Lamar was a far, far better defender, rebounder and team player. The only thing comparable is their drug issues early on in their careers. Talent ad production wise, Odom smokes Beasley, pun intended.

To standardize this comparison their per36 min #'s would be more instructive. After Minny, Beasley has not seen the floor very much - not sure what kind of minutes Odom was averaging at that point career-wise.

That is kind of the point. Wolf is right, Beasley isn't LO, it isn't a valid comparison.

Anyone can be a valid comparison. It just depends on what you are comparing.

It seems you fail to understand what is being compared.

It does? And how did you come to that conclusion based on what I stated?

Last edited by gooner on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:

In some ways Lamar is a valid comparison. Just because someone can site comparative facts that aren't valid doesn't mean all comparisons are not valid.

Lamar was a drug user, often unmotivated, distracted, and a serious under achiever. These are valid comparisons. Yet there were years where Lamar was effective. Mostly IMO because of Kobe's influence.

Beasley is very much the same in these areas -- areas of personality, outlook, motivation, etc. Both have (had) very high potential. Whether Lamar is a better defender is not the argument for considering Beasley.

Perhaps, as Lamar did, Beasley can be productive given Kobe and the Lakers' influence. This is a valid comparison.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

Not really. Odom was productive before he came to the Lakers. Beasley? Notsomuch.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Not really. Odom was productive before he came to the Lakers. Beasley? Notsomuch.

Yup. Although that Shaq trade was a forced one, there's a reason why Odom was one of the centerpieces in that trade along with Caron (and Grant's big contract I suppose).

All Beez has done is basically been kicked away from every team, and had a couple of good scoring years on bad teams.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

That is the point, teams wanted Lamar, no one seems to want Beasley. Lamar did show he could be an effective player while Beasley has not.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
That is the point, teams wanted Lamar, no one seems to want Beasley. Lamar did show he could be an effective player while Beasley has not.

Exactly. Lamar was a coveted player. Phx PAID him to not play on his team. But I'm still ok if he wants to play for a non-guaranteed minimum this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

If Mitch brings him in I won't complain. If Mitch doesn't I won't complain either.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

You're just arguing a matter of degree. Which was not my point. My point was there is a comparison. Because Beasley may be more screwed up than Lamar was doesn't mean there is no comparison. I suggest a logic class (seriously, I am not trying to be belligerent).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

Miami's List of Issues concerning Michael Beasley

Quote:
lack of interest
Inconsistency,
lack of trust in his defense
maturity/focus issues, which are still a concern even though he improved somewhat in that regard last season.

RED FLAGS!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

LATEST ON BEASLEY/LAKERS:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers rumors: Will speak to Michael Beasley again

BEASLEY (LINK)
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

I hope we get him.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't matter if we do or don't. He won't make a difference.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

calistrtballr wrote:
Talent is there. give him a chance. Kobe and B Scott will keep him in check.

My thoughts exactly. If anyone can instill some greatness in this kid, it is Kobe and Scott. I think Kobe should make it a point to work out with Beasley. Show him some things, and Scott can work on his individual defense. Beasley definitely has the potential to be an All-Star caliber player, but that won't be realized until he finds the right mentorship(Kobe Bryant).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Kobe intends on spending his last years in the nba as a life coach and substance abuse counselor.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I am curious how the same people pushing the hardest to just "give Beasley a chance" will react when he ultimately shows how much of a knucklehead he is and disappoints.

Will it be just another stupid decision by Buss and Kupchak?

Maybe an example of how bad a leader Kobe is?

How bad a decision Scott was at HC?

Or can we just admit Beasley is who he is. Inconsistent, lacks focus and immature. No matter what team he joins.

I have a sinking feeling that the Lakers are going to sign him. Let the fun begin!
Nick the Quick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

we're not in a position to be picky on the talent we get. yeah the guy has some issues, but for the minimum contract, you can't expect the world.

he's better than johnson and henry, who would be two guys that would get minutes at the 3 otherwise.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Miami's List of Issues concerning Michael Beasley

Quote:
lack of interest
Inconsistency,
lack of trust in his defense
maturity/focus issues, which are still a concern even though he improved somewhat in that regard last season.

RED FLAGS!

SPORTS BUZZ:

Quote:
One veteran NBA scout said Michael Beasley is a far better player than journeyman Shawne Williams and questioned the Heat for signing Williams to guaranteed money. So why hasn’t the Heat tried to re-sign Beasley when it could use his offense?

A person with direct knowledge cited several reasons for the Heat's lack of interest: Inconsistency, lack of trust in his defense (and ability to execute the Heat's defensive system), and maturity/focus issues, which are still a concern even though he improved somewhat in that regard last season.

I would give Beasley another shot at the minimum; he ranked in the top 52 in points-per-48 minutes last season and the Heat might regret not having his offense this season if Dwyane Wade or Danny Granger is injured. Beasley would have interest in returning if the Heat calls.

But essentially, this comes down to lack of trust by the Heat coaching staff after working with Beasley for nine months. It spoke volumes that the Heat instead prefered a player (Williams) who has had just one good NBA season (2010-11 for the Knicks) and spent much of last season in the Developmental League.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject:

Nick the Quick wrote:
we're not in a position to be picky on the talent we get. yeah the guy has some issues, but for the minimum contract, you can't expect the world.

he's better than johnson and henry, who would be two guys that would get minutes at the 3 otherwise.

No disrespect meant but I could not disagree more strongly. The Lakers need to be picky at this point. They are rebuilding. I would argue they have less margin for error then a contending team. They are attempting to re-establish an identity and foundation for the future. Who they have in the lockeroom and on the floor matters.

I also disagree with the premise that Beasley is "better" then others mentioned. He is a one dimensional scorer- when he is on. What else does he bring? Others fit the team role better. Better defenders, better focus, better effort or just better chemistry with teammates on those tiresome road trips.

I realize the Lakers need players. But truly look at what is being said about Beasley (and every other knucklehead mentioned around here). He was in an ideal situation last year. And the Heat went with Rashard Lewis and then signed a D-League player to fill his role.

Lakers need to have a established system and solid core of role players to attract an elite free agent. The Beasleys of the League are not it.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

Much of what we are doing is putting a Band-Aid on a team trying to rebuild with an aging Kobe and Nash (add Boozer in that mix). We basically bid our time and let Gasol walk and will do the same with Nash.

The Lakers need exciting, cheap players, who can score, and fill in for the void if Kobe goes down injured again. If Beasley or Bynum or some other castoff is available cheap, I am sure the Lakers will consider it as a short term fix.

Beasley though with Kobe and Byron Scott? Yikes, he will be walking into a buzzsaw. Sounds like Samaki Walker 2.0.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

If you haven't voted; here's your chance.

BEAZE
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Nash/Lin/Clarkson
Kobe/Young/X
B easy/Wes/
Boozer/Randle/Kelly
Hill/Davis/Sacre

I wish Hill and Davis were taller, otherwise, thats a much better roster than last year talent wise. (Not including Pau as I think at this point he and boozer are a wash).

Yes to Beasley.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Guy coasts all his career wasting his ability due to being a lazy (bleep). Why would you want someone like that on a Kobe team? If he does his same shtick here, just causes awkwardness and friction in the locker room like with Howard/Bynum/etc. I guess if you look at stats instead of just the person/individual he's awesome
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject:

I hope some other team offers him a contract more than the min so he doesn't sign w/ us. I can't think of one solid reason to take a chance on him
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerRush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Just posted this in the FA topic as well, but Beasley's connection with Kobe may be a reason we sign him. Here was my post:

I went on a date with a girl a few years ago, and she worked for Rob Pelinka. During the date, she told me a story related to Beasley (story was about an incident prior to the start of his rookie season, and it involved weed lol). It seems like Beasley has since changed agents.

Having said that, my recollection of the date/story prompted me to do a quick google search, and sure enough, I found a connection (from 2011) between Beasley, Wes Johnson, and Kobe. So I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him. Check it out....

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219458
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14
Jump to: