Do you want Michael Beasley to sign with the Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Beasley to the Lakers?
Yes.
64%
 64%  [ 234 ]
No.
35%
 35%  [ 127 ]
Total Votes : 361

Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
I voted yes. It's not like we are giving up anything to get him or signing him to a long term deal. It would be a 1 year deal for the minimum. If he plays well then he's a bargain, if not then we could simply just cut him.

We give up locker room chemistry imo. Don't want this druggie and history of being a cancer messing with our youngsters, guys like wes, kelly, randle, x.

lol -at- "druggie" cuz he smokes tree smh
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Rather have Marion. Don't really want Beasley. But whatever, its not a big risk.
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject:

calistrtballr wrote:
Talent is there. give him a chance. Kobe and B Scott will keep him in check.

Who is that in your avatar?
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Sccit wrote:
calistrtballr wrote:

Girlfriend
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/michael-beasley

The last sentence under weaknesses sums up his career. Beasley is talented and could have been great but that ship has sailed.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Yes. He's either going to be a good bargain for the vet min, or be cut by Byron as an example of not falling in line. Win/win.
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject:

calistrtballr wrote:
Sccit wrote:
calistrtballr wrote:

Girlfriend

Nice..she has a pretty mouth.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Pgforlife
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject:

I know we're hungry for talent and want to get back into contention as soon as possible, but we're trying to build a culture here. A hard working, hard-nosed, Lakers pride exuding culture that can make all Lakers fans proud of who we are. Beasley goes against all of these things. The locker room is also an integral part of a team's culture and if there is any chance he can influence our youngsters negatively I'm against it. No Beasley please.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject:

If he can play 15-20 competent minutes, then sure I would want him. The only question is if he is capable. I have no doubts about his offensive game, but that might not be enough to make up for his poor defense. Remember this guy didn't dress for some playoff games last season and the Heat didn't trust him at all when they were starving for bench help.

I do think he will be on good behavior, so that is of no concern. If not, he'll be gone. B Scott is not going to let a guy who is almost out of the league like Beasley infect the locker room.

He was worth a look to just gauge his ability to play and perhaps bolster a weak spot on the team.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject:

I'm for it since we lack size upfront.
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject:

Pls no, god no, no B-ez shows pls
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject:

Of course we'd all rather have Marion. I'd rather have a Mercedes than my Kia and yet the Kia is what dependably gets me to work everyday. But iircc, there's been a lot of people here concerned at our lack of small forwards and Beasley would fill some of that hole. Who gives a crap if he smokes weed. Haven't we moved past that as a society?
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject:

Hell yeah..

He's low risk high reward.

Beasley isn't know as being a problem in the locker room so he's not going to effect team chemistry. He's actually been well liked by his teammates throughout his career. Most of his issues have been off the court and lack of focus and work ethic.

Beasley's problem are nearly identical to those of Lamar Odom. He's still young and can turn things around if placed in the right environment. Having Byron Scott, Kobe, and Nash to mentor him could do wonders for the kid.
sidestep
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject:

Beasley is a talented, versatile scorer but he lacks awareness for playing team defense and making the right rotation. Last year, he had a Defensive Rating of 108 (ie, opponents scored 108 pts over 100 possessions when he was on the court). That's kinda scary when you consider that he wasn't playing with no-defense teammates but with players who are all disciplined about team defense. By comparison, Birdman, Bosh, Battier had DefRtgs of ~101, and Rashard Lewis, who was Beasley's competitor for minutes, had 103. It's not for lack of trying either.

If Byron puts a premium on defense, how much playing time would Beasley even get? FWIW, Beasley's DefRtg was the same as Marshon Brooks -- and their career trajectories look kinda similar in being unable to win the trust of coaches to really make it into the rotation even though they both have offensive talents.

I think Beasley can very effective if you minimize his decision-making, since he tends to be a ball-stopper, and is so talented that he thinks he can score anywhere instead of having a more mature mentality that is aware of his most efficient situations/spots. For one, he takes too many midrange jumpers which he only converts at 36%. But his overall FG% was good at 49.9; TS% was 55.9

If you put him with playmakers such as Lin, he's got the hands to catch anything, can finish with either hand, very athletic, and can play above the rim. Would be a great alley-oop partner. He has a special ability to finish over bigs while attacking openings on the drive, either from the perimeter or working face up from the post. He's got a Melo-like quick hop for cleaning up misses at the rim and working the boards. He also showed he can cut well, and is good is transition.

He and Wade played a nice good two-man game on the sides. He can set a solid chunky screen and can either dive or pop out for a 3, which he shoots at an efficient 39%. When that two-man action bogged down, he could post up, which he's good at. That's the kind of situation in which Beasley is not responsible for making the top-level decision in half-court offense but, when he does get the ball, it's because he's already in an advantageous spot.

He can put up double digit scoring in a flash coming off the bench. He's fun to watch when he's on. His spin move off the drive is smooth.

I'd be excited to see him added. He probably won't cost much anyway.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
No to Beasley. He doesn't play defense and he's a bad locker room guy. We don't need this guy around the younger players on the team.

Meanwhile in the real world
Quote:
"My rookie year and my second year, I would have been on the bench the whole fourth quarter," Beasley said. "I wouldn't have even seen the last play. Just the trust that [coach Erik Spoelstra] has in me right now on the defensive side, it's a testament to work."

Beasley was back in the lineup after missing seven games with a strained hamstring. His return comes just in time for the Heat's four-game, West Coast road trip. It starts with Wednesday's game against the Los Angeles Lakers at Staple Center. The highlight of the stretch is a matchup with the top-seeded Portland Trail Blazers Saturday.

It provides yet another opportunity for Beasley to display his newfound interest. While he scored 10 points versus the Hawks, it was his contribution in other areas that drew the most attention. He also had seven rebounds and prevented forward Paul Millsap from scoring on the final possession in regulation.

"He gave us a spark there in the fourth quarter when we had [LeBron James] and [Chris Bosh] out of the game," SSpoelstra said. "He was able to take some of the responsibility offensively but also defensively he gives us that athleticism. He still needs to get up to speed on what we're doing but he can cover a lot of ground."

Quote:
He is making progress, and on Saturday in the Heat’s 111-110 loss to the Celtics, Beasley made just his second appearance of the season. He scored 10 points in eight minutes in the second quarter and — in an ironic twist considering Beasley’s previous reputation — he appeared to be the only member of the Heat remotely interested in playing defense on a night the team shot 57 percent from the field and lost.

silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject:

Lebron got fed up with him due to his lack of Intensity + Spoelstra stopped trusting him.... he stopped using him completely towards the end of March.

He averaged 15 mins last season... doesn't show any progress to me.

Bottom line is that he has a 10 cent head. You can't fix that. Just another Gerald Green.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Lebron got fed up with him due to his lack of Intensity + Spoelstra stopped trusting him.... he stopped using him completely towards the end of March.

Bottom line is that he has a 10 cent head. You can't fix that. Just another Gerald Green.

In that case, I would have to reluctantly decide against him. He's got potential talent to be more, but for this new Laker's team, it's going to depend a lot on effort and locker room chemistry to try to overcome some of the better talent on other teams as the Lakers rebuild. I think Scott is going about it the right way in trying to change the culture.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

People used to say the exact same sort of things about Lamar Odom.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

It's not like we have overwhelming talent that we don't need him. For crying out loud, we have Wes Johnson penciled in as our starting SF.

If he signs for the min, and is a nuisance to the team, cut him. It's just a min contract.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject:

Pgforlife wrote:
I know we're hungry for talent and want to get back into contention as soon as possible, but we're trying to build a culture here. A hard working, hard-nosed, Lakers pride exuding culture that can make all Lakers fans proud of who we are. Beasley goes against all of these things. The locker room is also an integral part of a team's culture and if there is any chance he can influence our youngsters negatively I'm against it. No Beasley please.

Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

Where did you hear this because Pat Riley said yesterday he may bring him back.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject:

Considering his talent, I'm surprised so many voted no.

Tough one when it seems like he's squandered so many other opportunities. I don't know if playing for the Lakers means anything to him. But this is the stage he would need to cement another decent sized contract in a year or two.
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject:

Dont care. That should be an option. The Lakers are making temporary, irrelevant move after tempory, irrelevant move. 80% of the players on this roster could come or go and none of us would lose any sleep.
MacedonianFan
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject:

At first time i saw that we want to get Beasley in our team i can't say i wasn't just a little bit excited.That is why i voted yes.But when you rethink twice...

I just can't understand why our leadership in the last few years has be looking to hire players that are going down with their cariers.If you want a rebuild ,you don't acquire Michael Beasley.He is well known for his attitude off the court.In the other hand, when you see his stats for the past years you'll know.They are going down.Yes he is not that old, yes he has potential, yes he had a good years behind him but i just can't see it.Are the other teams that dumb not to sign him till now?Ofcourse not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14
Jump to: