Do you want Michael Beasley to sign with the Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Beasley to the Lakers?
Yes.
64%
 64%  [ 234 ]
No.
35%
 35%  [ 127 ]
Total Votes : 361

fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Beas has some potential playing the 3-4, but so does Henry, Randle, Kelly, and Davis. We will see how Scott juggles his minutes/rotations. At least Nash is a walker (Walking dead) and Boozer is over the hill. So maybe we'll get a better look at the young guys.

I agree, it mostly comes down to Scott. They really have a lot of SG's and PF's on the team. At what point does comparing talent between two players trump the fit? Today we hear people saying it is crazy that Henry or Young would play (or just defend) the PG position, Kelly or Randle play the SF, or Kelly or Boozer playing the middle. None of those are ideal for many reasons, but during the season what will be the options? If Nash is hurt, do you slide Henry over to defend the 1 over Clarkson if he isn't ready? If there is an injury to Hill/Davis, does Sacre slide in or do they play Boozer/Kelly for a few?

Talent wise, Beasley could get minutes at SF for this Laker roster. If they actually sign him, you still have the debate of finding positions to get defense on the court. Johnson wasn't great last year, but he gets a lot of buzz for his defensive potential. At what point does Beasley's talent trump his lack of defense? He could score 20 off the bench, but will he get the shots if Young and Randle get most of the 2nd string touches? I'm sure Byron and Mitch have discussed what makes sense for Beasley.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure how Beez really plays into Scott's new narrative/focus on defense. Plus, I think Beez has historically put up better #s as a stretch PF rather than SF, and we have too many PFs at this point.

Again, I see him as a potential 8-9th man; others see him as a 6th man. I think in the former case I'm fine, but certainly not in the latter.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm not sure how Beez really plays into Scott's new narrative/focus on defense. Plus, I think Beez has historically put up better #s as a stretch PF rather than SF, and we have too many PFs at this point.

Again, I see him as a potential 8-9th man; others see him as a 6th man. I think in the former case I'm fine, but certainly not in the latter.

Last season Beasley was better at SF than PF according to 82games data.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

IF we sign Beez, he could play some minutes at SF & PF.
We really need a Center & PG that can contribute also.
I think Mitch will pull off another trade sooner or later.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's just with Miami though.

At Phx (2012-13, when he actually played):

-6 Net 48-Minute Production by Position at SF
-4.7 at PF

at Minny (2010-11)

-6.2 at SF
+.7 at PF
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject:

^That's interesting...I still him getting more time at the SF position even with limited minutes. Kobe, Xavier, and even Young all missed time last year. We need another body there, IMO.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject:

I think it's pretty reasonable to believe Beasley is not signing here. Just guessing here but I believe Beasley and agent want a guaranteed deal and lakers aren't going to do it. I don't fault them. Beasley has more to prove that's he can be trusted on a guaranteed deal.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
I think it's pretty reasonable to believe Beasley is not signing here. Just guessing here but I believe Beasley and agent want a guaranteed deal and lakers aren't going to do it. I don't fault them. Beasley has more to prove that's he can be trusted on a guaranteed deal.

And likely a minutes crunch here. Beez will have to earn every minute and though our SF crop isn't exactly amazing, he'd have to beat out Wes, Young, X and even Randle at the SF spot. Or go beat Randle, Boozer, Davis, Kelly at the PF spot.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:

And likely a minutes crunch here. Beez will have to earn every minute and though our SF crop isn't exactly amazing, he'd have to beat out Wes, Young, X and even Randle at the SF spot. Or go beat Randle, Boozer, Davis, Kelly at the PF spot.

This post just reminded me that we have a lot of young and hungry ballers with a lot to prove. Can't wait for training camp.

But yeah back to the subject at hand looks like the Lakers are going to pass on Bease. Nothing happened yet after two workouts. Lottery Pick fallout. Beaseley is eager to play here probably because he likes the legal weed clinics. Dude is just a flat out disappointment of what he could of been.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
Since the 80's...
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather sign Delfino myself.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Since the 80's... wrote:

Delfino is still recovering from an injury & will probably miss at least half of the season.
Since the 80's...
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Since the 80's... wrote:

Delfino is still recovering from an injury & will probably miss at least half of the season.

That I did not know.
L.A.M.B
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject:

If we got Beasley, he'd be the 3rd best scorer on the team (possibly even 2nd best).....he's never played with a player like Kobe who can put him in check. If he's willing to play for vets min, you take it and run. End of story.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:

L.A.M.B wrote:
If we got Beasley, he'd be the 3rd best scorer on the team (possibly even 2nd best).....he's never played with a player like Kobe who can put him in check. If he's willing to play for vets min, you take it and run. End of story.

This!! Welcome to LG!
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Ever wonder why Beasley has absolutely nobody trying to sign him at this late a stage.... it's not like he's an unknown player either.

Last edited by silkwilkes on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject:

Could it be that Beasley is holding out for more money? I surely hope not because he has ZERO leverage or credibility.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject:

My guess is he's holding out for a guarantee that's not going to come, and come October he starts from scratch just like other training camp invites. That said, I'd like to think he'd make the Laker squad and that Kobe's presence, mentorship and work habits turn him around. He's not too far gone to be a decent player. Not yet. Pipe dream, perhaps...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject:

Make no mistake. Beez will have to beat out a bunch of guys to get playing time even if he is a better offensive talent on paper. Wes, X, young and even Kobe will play SF. And the pf rotation is even more competitive. Not sure if he has the fire to beat out less talented but more competitive teammates. That's been the story of his nba career.
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject:

Kwame Brown and Smush Parker

To be continued.....
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
My guess is he's holding out for a guarantee that's not going to come, and come October he starts from scratch just like other training camp invites. That said, I'd like to think he'd make the Laker squad and that Kobe's presence, mentorship and work habits turn him around. He's not too far gone to be a decent player. Not yet. Pipe dream, perhaps...

Curious why you (and many others) believe that the work habits and mentoring of Kobe will turn Beasley around?

He hasn't developed beyond "immature scorer" with any team in five years.

He did not thrive in the stable and competitive environment of the Heat. He had Riley, Spoelstra, Lebron, Wade, Battier and a Championship level expectations and did not turn it around. Instead they trusted R. Lewis in games. Then signed a journeyman D-league player instead of him. Doesn't that tell you something about Beasley?

I am assuming he had plenty of opportunity to see a positive work ethic and positive teammates in Miami. Beasley is who he is. Why deny that?

IMO Kobe and Scott would hate having a player like Beasley on the roster. You think Kobe had issues with Howard and Shaq. He would have no patience for Beasley. This could end Smush Parker bad!
ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:

L.A.M.B wrote:

He is who he is by now. He's not learning or changing. He will be a scorer that plays little defense. He's not going to be whipped into line, he's more likely to withdrawl and pout if Kobe critisizes him too much. There was a reason why in Miami he couldn't get any playing time until the blowout final game. And that's with 3 blowouts before that and old players that needed rest. He's not going to start caring now.

That being said, for minimum he'd be worth the risk vs comparable guy you'd get for that salary.
L.A.M.B
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

ppineda wrote:
L.A.M.B wrote:

He is who he is by now. He's not learning or changing. He will be a scorer that plays little defense. He's not going to be whipped into line, he's more likely to withdrawl and pout if Kobe critisizes him too much. There was a reason why in Miami he couldn't get any playing time until the blowout final game. And that's with 3 blowouts before that and old players that needed rest. He's not going to start caring now.

That being said, for minimum he'd be worth the risk vs comparable guy you'd get for that salary.

There comes a time in every players career where they finally realize their worth. I'm sure Beasley will understand that he won't have as much leverage and won't be able to get away with as much as he was able to when he was still a coveted number 2 overall rising superstar. He may not be a genius, but he's smart enough to know that he's on a short leash and that any screw ups from here on out will have him out of the league for good. His back is against the wall and I'm sure he never expected not to be signed going into pre-season. Sometimes, once you hit rock bottom, you come to a realization and begin your upward journey. Beasley has the talent to where giving 1 more shot is definitely worth the risk, especially at a a minimal contract in a year with no expectations. I don't know what Mitch is waiting for, but I remember a similar storyline with Gerald Green, and I was in favor of signing him back then as well. Lets not make the same mistake twice.
L.A.M.B
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Curious why you (and many others) believe that the work habits and mentoring of Kobe will turn Beasley around?

He hasn't developed beyond "immature scorer" with any team in five years.

He did not thrive in the stable and competitive environment of the Heat. He had Riley, Spoelstra, Lebron, Wade, Battier and a Championship level expectations and did not turn it around. Instead they trusted R. Lewis in games. Then signed a journeyman D-league player instead of him. Doesn't that tell you something about Beasley?

I am assuming he had plenty of opportunity to see a positive work ethic and positive teammates in Miami. Beasley is who he is. Why deny that?

IMO Kobe and Scott would hate having a player like Beasley on the roster. You think Kobe had issues with Howard and Shaq. He would have no patience for Beasley. This could end Smush Parker bad!

lebron, wade, spoelstra etc. are a buncha busters. i woulda told you from the get, theres no chance they keep him in check. playing for real ficcaz like kobe and byron is a whole nother story.

beasley doesn't have the same stock as dwight or shaq, so i'm sure he'll humble himself if he gets the opportunity and do whatever it takes to keep himself a spot in the league.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Hey, let's beat this dead horse some more:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers News and Rumors: Why Lakers Should Sign Michael Beasley, and Why They Shouldn't

The Lakers don't have a very intimidating bench right now either. Adding Beasley could provide depth for next season, especially in late game situations and help when players get injured.

DEAD HORSE?
link
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Rawr wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

IF we sign Beez, he could play some minutes at SF & PF.
We really need a Center & PG that can contribute also.
I think Mitch will pull off another trade sooner or later.

Beez would have to play SF because Lakers have a mess of PF's; Randle, Booz, Kelly, Davis and actually Hill plays PF.

Lakers need a Center and a SF...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14
Jump to: