The west 4-8th seeds rosters comparison with the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stewjoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject:

[quote="LakersMDGurl"][quote="yinoma2001"]
silkwilkes wrote:

Lin to return to NY level Lin (which he should since he's going to be featured here)

Other than that first 10 game stretch, Lin was pretty much who he is in NY. After that initial 10 day flurry, he averaged 15 points on 12 field goal attempts and made exactly 40 percent of his shots. Assist to turnover ratio a little under 2 to 1.

In Houston, he averaged about 13 points on a little over 10 shots per game with an assist to turnover ratio of a little under 2 to 1.

So basically, for 10 games in early 2012, he was a 20/10 guy. For the 169 games thereafter, he was a solid, although not particularly efficient scorer who turned the ball over too much, but could be effective with the ball in his hands. Why are people expecting him to be the guy he was for a week and a half over the guy he was for more than two years?
His shooting should improve incrementally (as it has over the last year--although it is still not a strength) and his defense is actually not atrocious more in the mediocre to average range.

Bottom line is that Lin is not an elite basketball player and likely will never start on a contending basketball team. His per 36 numbers are very similar to those of Ramon Sessions. Expect that level of impact.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think a part of the 12-12 start was that teams had no idea which players were being shuffled in/out of lineups. Scouting reports weren't fully developed on guys who had just been bench fodder. Not sure they could have sustained it through the year but that 12-12 start was a surprise.

yeah I get what you're saying but 12-12 is already a more than a quarter of the season, you know? I think it's a fair representation of what the team's talent level could have accomplished if the injury bug hadn't hit us so devastatingly.

Wait, we were never 12-12 at any point were we? I wanna say we were below .500 after 24 games.

We were actually 10-9. Same idea though! 19/82 = 23% of the season.

After 24 games we were 11-13. We were 10-9 when kobe came back, then went 2-4 in the 6 games he played before getting injured again.

Yeah, ok, that makes sense.

In either case, I agree that will be probably what we were after about 24 games (11-13). That's a 37-38 win season which is smack dab in the middle of my projection actually (I'm projecting high 30s win total).
ILoveLA WeLoveIT
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject:

6th-8th seed and most likely lose in the 1st round and end up with the 15th-18th pick or losing record and receive a top 10 pick? That's the ultimate question.

Would love to see our team in the playoffs again though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject:

[quote="stewjoe"][quote="LakersMDGurl"]
yinoma2001 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Lin to return to NY level Lin (which he should since he's going to be featured here)

Other than that first 10 game stretch, Lin was pretty much who he is in NY. After that initial 10 day flurry, he averaged 15 points on 12 field goal attempts and made exactly 40 percent of his shots. Assist to turnover ratio a little under 2 to 1.

In Houston, he averaged about 13 points on a little over 10 shots per game with an assist to turnover ratio of a little under 2 to 1.

So basically, for 10 games in early 2012, he was a 20/10 guy. For the 169 games thereafter, he was a solid, although not particularly efficient scorer who turned the ball over too much, but could be effective with the ball in his hands. Why are people expecting him to be the guy he was for a week and a half over the guy he was for more than two years?
His shooting should improve incrementally (as it has over the last year--although it is still not a strength) and his defense is actually not atrocious more in the mediocre to average range.

Bottom line is that Lin is not an elite basketball player and likely will never start on a contending basketball team. His per 36 numbers are very similar to those of Ramon Sessions. Expect that level of impact.

And having Sessions' level of contribution at the PG spot is something the Lakers have sorely missed. We haven't had elite PGs either since Magic.
RichB
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject:

I just don't see the Lakers making the playoffs this season. It will take someone other than Kobe to step up BIG time to do that and I don't think the Lakers has anyone that can/will do that this coming season. I will consider it a successful season if the team can achieve 43+ wins.

Saying the Rockets will not make the playoff is just your hating that is talking. With Howard, Harden, Ariza, & Beverley, that alone will allow them to get a playoff spot. I agree their current bench is unproven, but they are not scrubs. It will take an injury to one of these 4 guys to set them back that far. They are not done in the off season, I'm quite certain Morey will add at least 1 more mid-level type player to the team before training camp.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject:

RichB wrote:
I just don't see the Lakers making the playoffs this season. It will take someone other than Kobe to step up BIG time to do that and I don't think the Lakers has anyone that can/will do that this coming season. I will consider it a successful season if the team can achieve 43+ wins.

Saying the Rockets will not make the playoff is just your hating that is talking. With Howard, Harden, Ariza, & Beverley, that alone will allow them to get a playoff spot. I agree their current bench is unproven, but they are not scrubs. It will take an injury to one of these 4 guys to set them back that far. They are not done in the off season, I'm quite certain Morey will add at least 1 more mid-level type player to the team before training camp.

Your July date and comments tells me your a rocket troll. Lol Beverly ?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
RichB wrote:

I don't see what's the problem in his statement. I think he's fairly on point here. Rox will likely be a little worse than last year, but it's not like they will plummet this year b/c of losing Parsons.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
RichB wrote:

I don't see what's the problem in his statement. I think he's fairly on point here. Rox will likely be a little worse than last year, but it's not like they will plummet this year b/c of losing Parsons.

I never predicted them to miss the playoffs but they don't have a bench and for him to mention Beverly is funny. He's a mediocre pg. He plays defense but who's gonna take over games when Harden is shooting 39% again? Certainly not Trevor
RichB
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
I never predicted them to miss the playoffs but they don't have a bench and for him to mention Beverly is funny. He's a mediocre pg. He plays defense but who's gonna take over games when Harden is shooting 39% again? Certainly not Trevor

Not a troll. Yes, I'm a long time Rockets fan (since 77), but more importantly, I'm a basketball fan first. Recently, I'm a disgruntled Rockets fan because I don't like the way the organization, their local media, and some of their fans treat their players/ex-players. I follow Lin over here because I like his story and really liked him as a person and the way he plays (when not doing stupid things). I'm not a Laker fan YET, but maybe I'll learn to like/love them.

I don't think I over value Beverley. I've watched him play and he is a good defensive player that occasionally get you the important baskets. I love his fearlessness. I don't think his defense is over rated and defense can disrupt the flow of the offense on the opposing team. Similar to hockey passes, you can not just look at statistics and say his defense is not as good as claimed. I don't think he is an elite guard, but he is a perfect compliment to Harden and is a very valuable piece for a contending team.

Lin & Parson seldom take over games, pretty much only when Harden is not on. And during the regular season, Harden is rarely off. Remember, we are talking about making the playoffs right now, not how well they will do in the playoffs. Ariza is no Parson, but he is not that far of a drop off as far as contribution wise. Ariza is a better defender & 3pt shooter. I agree that he doesn't have Parson's intangibles. With that said, they are not going to fall off by that much, unless they have no backup PG, which I highly doubt will be the case come training camp time.

Last edited by RichB on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Jason.fxt
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject:

stewjoe wrote:

i have a difficult time believing a players first years playing NBA basketball is his best years or representative of who he will be in his prime.
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

Injury is not a remote likelihood. One injury is enough to kill a team with no depth.

RichB wrote:

Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject:

RichB wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Not a troll. Yes, I'm a long time Rockets fan (since 77), but more importantly, I'm a basketball fan first. Recently, I'm a disgruntled Rockets fan because I don't like the way the organization, their local media, and some of their fans treat their players/ex-players. I follow Lin over here because I like his story and really liked him as a person and the way he plays (when not doing stupid things). I'm not a Laker fan YET, but maybe I'll learn to like/love them.

I don't think I over value Beverley. I've watched him play and he is a good defensive player that occasionally get you the important baskets. I love his fearlessness. I don't think his defense is over rated and defense can disrupt the flow of the offense on the opposing team. Similar to hockey passes, you can not just look at statistics and say his defense is not as good as claimed. I don't think he is an elite guard, but he is a perfect compliment to Harden and is a very valuable piece for a contending team.

Lin & Parson seldom take over games, pretty much only when Harden is not on. And during the regular season, Harden is rarely off. Remember, we are talking about making the playoffs right now, not how well they will do in the playoffs. Ariza is no Parson, but he is not that far of a drop off as far as contribution wise. Ariza is a better defender & 3pt shooter. I agree that he doesn't have Parson's intangibles. With that said, they are not going to fall off by that much, unless they have no backup PG, which I highly doubt will be the case come training camp time.

Now that's better lol welcome to LG and I apologize for the troll comment.
RichB
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject:

qiantom wrote:
Injury is not a remote likelihood. One injury is enough to kill a team with no depth.

Injury can happen to and will devastate any team, so the Rockets should not be singled out. As for depth, their bench wasn't great last year, but they still did well overall. The main pieces they lost are Lin & Asik. Asik (as good as he is as an individual) wasn't much of a factor last year for them due to injury & pouting. The only replacement they must make is Lin. They still have DMo, Daniels, Canaan, and maybe Dorsey as key contributors. DMo is not a scrub and has his moments. Daniels & Canaan are unproven, but they appear to be up & comers. Nick Johnson is also showing promises. Morey is not done yet, he will add additional pieces b4 training camp. You can not count them out.

Car54 wrote:

Thank you, no offense taken. I understand there are trolls and it is not easy to spot them at first sight. I must admit, I was hesitant to join LG but so far this seem to be a nice place.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
RichB wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Isn't calling a poster a troll a suspendable offense?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject:

I don't know.
jjww28
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

stewjoe wrote:

Can you think beyond simple box score, and naive rule of thump good PG should have close to 3/1 Ast/To ratio?

Not all AST are made the same, Lin had the highest Assist Efficiency (1.36) than any PG last season.

Assist Efficiency (AE) = [Point created by assist per game] / [Assist Opportunities per game],

read post "Assist Quality, the hidden perspective, Lin and Rockets" for details.

http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=47064&page=4

Last edited by jjww28 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject:

[quote="jjww28"][quote="stewjoe"]
LakersMDGurl wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Can you think beyond simple box score, and naive rule of thump good PG should have close to 3/1 Ast/To ratio?

Not all AST are made the same, Lin had the highest Assist Efficiency (1.36) than any PG last season.

Assist Efficiency (AE) = [Point created by assist per game] / [Assist Opportunities per game],

read post "Assist Quality, the hidden perspective, Lin and Rockets" for details.

Why am I being quoted in this? That's not my post.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

^ That's not LakersMDGurl's post you quoted either. =P
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject:

This is madness!
stewjoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:

jjww28 wrote:
stewjoe wrote:

First of all, no need to be insulting with the "can you think beyond simple boxscore..." comment.

But you should be aware that there are some serious flaws with this analysis:

1) It equates a turnover with a missed shot in that it attempts to say that his excessive turnovers are balanced by the fact that fewer shots are missed on his assists. However, a turnover is clearly worse than a missed shot in that it eliminates the opportunity for an offensive rebound and also generally reduces the ability of the defense to get back in transition.

2) It is not particularly effective in measuring individual performance as it relies on the performance of others, i.e. how well they convert an opportunity to score from your pass. In that sense, it is like RBI in baseball.

3) If you run this Assist Efficiency number for last season, the top-10 is:
Andre Igoudala
Jeremy Lin
Devin Harris
Chandler parsons
Manu Ginobili
Lou Williams
Mario Chalmers
Ray Felton
Tyreke Evans
Kendall Marshall

Looking at that group, my question is, how valuable is that as a metric? Does it reflect that those 10 players are the best passers in the league? Most efficient?

Are you saying Lin is a top 3 point guard in the league? Top 5? Top 10?
Should we lock him up to a max extension now because the entire league doesn't realize how great he is, particularly Morey who actually paid us to take him or McHale who sat him behind Beverly?

Again, I am not saying he doesn't have a solid role in the league, but are you saying he is actually elite?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject:

RichB wrote:
Car54 wrote:

The Rockets main obstacle to being serious contenders in on their bench, they guy leading the team. When they started out the playoffs force-feeding Howard I knew they would lose. That isn't his game, and until McHale realizes that or is replaced, it will be a detriment.
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Car54 wrote:
RichB wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Isn't calling a poster a troll a suspendable offense?

Are you a mod? Why are you trying to get someone banned?
Lakerscode
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:

A lot of people counting the Lakers out in the playoff picture but considering the combination of line up that we have this year is pretty much solid.They are not the best assembled team per position but they can compete for the whole game.I'm one of the optimistic fan to say that we can compete for 6-8 spot.
topfive
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

Longtime fan of both the Rockets and Lakers. Grew up in Houston, but have been in LA most of the last 25 years. That said, I'm more ketchup and mustard than purple and gold.

I think the Lakers will make the playoffs if Kobe stays healthy. He could drag nearly any lineup into the playoffs if he plays 70 games or more. I see holes in the lineup that some of you don't seem to notice, though. If Nash somehow stays healthy, the Lakers are a lock. You don't want to count on Lin as your starting PG. Before anyone flames me, I've watched Lin play more about 170 games over the last two years (counting pre-season and playoffs) and am pretty well qualified to make such a judgement. As a backup to Nash, he'd be a huge asset. My fear for Jeremy is that he's going to shrink when Kobe starts making those thinly veiled comments in interviews about some of the players needing to be more consistent, etc. From what I've seen of Lin, he needs total support around him to play at his best. Even in NYC, he played out of his mind until the Carmelo backlash started coming to light, then he tailed off dramatically. I wanted to believe in Lin as a starting-quality PG, but every time he takes a step forward, he follows it up with a step back.

Anyway, assuming Kobe and Nash stay healthy, the Lakers are in. Over which team, though? My pick is the Mavs. Tyson Chandler is good for 50-60 games, then their backup center is Greg Smith. Think about that: That's 20 or 30 games with Smith and Dirk as the two guys in charge of stopping the opposition's frontcourt. They will be eaten alive. Defensively, once you get past Tyson Chandler, the other starters are mediocre to awful defensively: Dirk, Ellis, Parsons, Felton/Nelson. They'll have to average 110 points a game to stay over .500.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

topfive wrote:
Longtime fan of both the Rockets and Lakers. Grew up in Houston, but have been in LA most of the last 25 years. That said, I'm more ketchup and mustard than purple and gold.

I think the Lakers will make the playoffs if Kobe stays healthy. He could drag nearly any lineup into the playoffs if he plays 70 games or more. I see holes in the lineup that some of you don't seem to notice, though. If Nash somehow stays healthy, the Lakers are a lock. You don't want to count on Lin as your starting PG. Before anyone flames me, I've watched Lin play more about 170 games over the last two years (counting pre-season and playoffs) and am pretty well qualified to make such a judgement. As a backup to Nash, he'd be a huge asset. My fear for Jeremy is that he's going to shrink when Kobe starts making those thinly veiled comments in interviews about some of the players needing to be more consistent, etc. From what I've seen of Lin, he needs total support around him to play at his best. Even in NYC, he played out of his mind until the Carmelo backlash started coming to light, then he tailed off dramatically. I wanted to believe in Lin as a starting-quality PG, but every time he takes a step forward, he follows it up with a step back.

Anyway, assuming Kobe and Nash stay healthy, the Lakers are in. Over which team, though? My pick is the Mavs. Tyson Chandler is good for 50-60 games, then their backup center is Greg Smith. Think about that: That's 20 or 30 games with Smith and Dirk as the two guys in charge of stopping the opposition's frontcourt. They will be eaten alive. Defensively, once you get past Tyson Chandler, the other starters are mediocre to awful defensively: Dirk, Ellis, Parsons, Felton/Nelson. They'll have to average 110 points a game to stay over .500.

Not sure why you have Dallas dropping out. I have them competing for the 4-6 range. They're much improved. I can see them picking up Emeka Okafor, J.O'Neal or Elton Brand to bolster their size. They've improved with Parsons and Nelson/Fat Felton should suffice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: