Spurs hire WNBA star Hammon as assistant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sleepy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Pretty embarrassed for most of you in this thread. What the hell do her looks have to do with her ability to do her job?

I was in radio out here when she left CSU....always thought she was cute...but to debate it as if it means anything...ridiculous. You guys should really evaluate your view on women.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
I hope you all treat your wives, girlfriends, daughters, sisters, grandmothers, aunts, co-workers and friends better than demonstrated in this thread. And I would hope you'd want others to treat them better than the stereotypical nonsense spouted here. Massive fail for most men in this thread.

awww. I cant speak for the men in this thread. but in the thread that I posted in OT I professed my heart for a girl that turned me down. I gave my valid reasons for me to be in love with her and believe me looks were not one of them. so to answer your question there are men out there who look for more than girls with just (bleep) and ass.

in this case if I ever had a chance with her Becky Hammon would definitely be on wifey material type. but there is no chance of that happening
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Sleepy wrote:
Pretty embarrassed for most of you in this thread. What the hell do her looks have to do with her ability to do her job?

I was in radio out here when she left CSU....always thought she was cute...but to debate it as if it means anything...ridiculous. You guys should really evaluate your view on women.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I hope you all treat your wives, girlfriends, daughters, sisters, grandmothers, aunts, co-workers and friends better than demonstrated in this thread. And I would hope you'd want others to treat them better than the stereotypical nonsense spouted here. Massive fail for most men in this thread.

AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Becky's been sitting behind the bench during games and sits in film sessions and coaches meetings. I imagine she'll continue in that role and do some instructing in practices. Hiring her as an assistant coach just makes it official. The kid will be all-right.

Last edited by AuraStar on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spurs hire WNBA star Hammon as assistant

Jackobe wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11312366/becky-hammon-hired-san-antonio-spurs

You would've lost it if you saw some of the female personal trainers on the sidelines at some college basketball games then.......
I think the players have something called self control plus they can get any groupie they wanted when you consider their huge......

Bank accounts....
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Would rather have had her than D'Antoni/Brown.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject:

LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

AuraStar wrote:
Becky's been sitting behind the bench during games and sits in film sessions and coaches meetings. I imagine he'll continue in that role and do some instructing practices.

I see what you did there.
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Okay LoLakers13, I corrected my post.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject:

In come the white knights to save the day!
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

A sports forum has posters commenting on a woman's looks? I'm shocked I tell you I'm shocked by this outrage.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
A sports forum has posters commenting on a woman's looks? I'm shocked I tell you I'm shocked by this outrage.

Not just commenting on a woman's looks, but how that will affect her ability to do a good job in a profession where women have essentially zero opportunity.

I'm sorry, this must be a time warp....but are we living in the 1950s? Or is the mental midget quotient in here approaching stratospheric levels of airheadedness?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

mental midget quotient

>sports forum
>zero admission requirements
>literally anyone with internet access can post here
>90% male membership

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Not just commenting on a woman's looks, but how that will affect her ability to do a good job in a profession where women have essentially zero opportunity.

I'm sorry, this must be a time warp....but are we living in the 1950s? Or is the mental midget quotient in here approaching stratospheric levels of airheadedness?

Actually no comment was made connecting her looks with her ability to do her job. Just some horsey face crap and rumours linking her to Tony Parker and the horse contest. Nothing was said that indicated that she couldn't do the job. Go back and check.

The tenor of the thread may be sexist but noone indicated that her looks would affect her job performance. Or even that she was not capable for the job for any other reason.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Mad respect for Popovich and the Spurs organization.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

mental midget quotient

>sports forum
>zero admission requirements
>literally anyone with internet access can post here
>90% male membership

The thing with the male membership thing is...that while we are mostly a boys club, we all know there are women here, and there's a prominent woman mod. Who thought it would be cool to say sexist stuff and think that the few women we have here would be cool with it?

It just reflects really badly on all of us. I guess if LG wanted to be Spurstalk, it could be that.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Actually no comment was made connecting her looks with her ability to do her job. Just some horsey face crap and rumours linking her to Tony Parker and the horse contest. Nothing was said that indicated that she couldn't do the job. Go back and check.

The tenor of the thread may be sexist but noone indicated that her looks would affect her job performance. Or even that she was not capable for the job for any other reason.

The opening poster wondered how long it would take for her to have sex with players. And made the comment that "she was too hot to be an asst coach".
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

The opening poster wondered how long it would take for her to have sex with players. And made the comment that "she was too hot to be an asst coach".

i never said anything about her actual coaching ability, i'm sure she has great basketball mind that's why Pop hired her.

too hot to be an assistant coach is implying her might screw with her own players, not saying she isn't smart enough to coach.

why did I say that? because I remember there was a female coach a while back was coaching the men's team. (I'm not sure if it was high school or college) and later the coach had sex with her players, so it became an scandal.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject:

Being a female moderator on a sports message board means that I'm quite used to the inevitable locker room talk among men. I assure you it neither surprises me nor affects me one way or the other. Most of the time I simply ignore it

This is different. A prominent woman sports figure broke through a glass ceiling in a major sport. One would think the first response would be, "Great! Congratulations." But when the initial response of many men is to mock her looks or speculate about her sexuality, then we've moved beyond mere "boys being boys." This is sexism so entrenched that most of the posters don't even recognize the damage they are doing by perpetuating the objectification of women. Instead of celebrating the achievement, many go right to criticizing her looks or sexuality. Is that really the message you want to send to your daughters? Strive to be great but when you get there be prepared to be mocked and degraded because you're a woman?

The thread topic wasn't, "Hot women! Let's discuss!" This was a thread about a professional woman achieving something no other woman had achieved in sports up until now. That's what deserved to be discussed.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

i never said anything about her actual coaching ability, i'm sure she has great basketball mind that's why Pop hired her.

too hot to be an assistant coach is implying her might screw with her own players, not saying she isn't smart enough to coach.

why did I say that? because I remember there was a female coach a while back was coaching the men's team. (I'm not sure if it was high school or college) and later the coach had sex with her players, so it became an scandal.

Jackobe wrote:
So....how long till we hear she have sex with the players?? lol

That quote right there is a direct indictment her professionalism and ability to conduct herself appropriately. You assume that because she is a woman on a men's team that it is probable she will engage in unethical activity by having sex with the players.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

When I heard about Hammon, I thought it was great news. I want everyone, regardless of their gender, to have an opportunity to succeed (or fail) based on merit alone.

I find this thread interesting though, a lot of people will look at it and think the typical "we still have a long way to go" type BS, but look how quickly the behavior got judged and shamed. Do I think the reactions of a lot of the first posts are juvenile, and does it make me shake my head at the mass of people who can't help themselves but react in such an irrelevant and inane way to a topic like this? Sure, but how often do people come to the rescue of someone's honor like this when it's a man being judged/critiqued/made of fun for their looks, sexuality, or some other superficial attribute? Not nearly as often. So the reason I'm making this post, is to remind people that equality is about equal standards. So the next time you see a thread where a man is being judged on their looks, or having insinuations made about their sexuality (e.g. Bosh being implied to be gay/effeminate,) ask yourself, "what was my standard for a response when it was happening to a woman?" Then apply the same standard to the man.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
When I heard about Hammon, I thought it was great news. I want everyone, regardless of their gender, to have an opportunity to succeed (or fail) based on merit alone.

I find this thread interesting though, a lot of people will look at it and think the typical "we still have a long way to go" type BS, but look how quickly the behavior got judged and shamed. Do I think the reactions of a lot of the first posts are juvenile, and does it make me shake my head at the mass of people who can't help themselves but react in such an irrelevant and inane way to a topic like this? Sure, but how often do people come to the rescue of someone's honor like this when it's a man being judged/critiqued/made of fun for their looks, sexuality, or some other superficial attribute? Not nearly as often. So the reason I'm making this post, is to remind people that equality is about equal standards. So the next time you see a thread where a man is being judged on their looks, or having insinuations made about their sexuality (e.g. Bosh being implied to be gay/effeminate,) ask yourself, "what was my standard for a response when it was happening to a woman?" Then apply the same standard to the man.

I agree that all people deserve to be treated with respect. However, there's one big difference here. Historically women have been relegated to second-class citizen status. Men have not. Even the "insult" to players implying they are "gay" or "effeminate" for behaving a certain way, begins with the premise that being gay or being female are in and of themselves a lesser status than being a straight male.

Calling out sexist, racist or homophobic statements on a message board may seem like "shaming" to you, but it seems like speaking up for the truth to me.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I agree that all people deserve to be treated with respect. However, there's one big difference here. Historically women have been relegated to second-class citizen status. Men have not.

I disagree with your portrayal of history and gender dynamics. Your interpretation is certainly a popular (and IMO, narrow-minded) interpretation of historical gender dynamics, but that's because male suffering is often ignored as a gender issue and perceived more as a general human issue instead, while the opposite being the case with women. The men that predominantly occupied the positions of power and influence in society were not significant enough of a percentage of the male population in general to just ignore the unique suffering and burdens that men endured due to their gender roles. Traditional gender roles had both upsides and downsides to both genders, women had advantages/disadvantages that men didn't, and men had advantages/disadvantages that women didn't.

Even if your portrayal is true, those days are long over (thank goodness for the sake of the whole human race,) so what does it have to do with now? How does that justify a double standard in how people respond to the maltreatment of men vs. women? A double standard (or in other words, an inequality) that you just admitted existed and then tried to rationalize away. People who are truly for equal standards don't try to justify double standards.

Quote:
Even the "insult" to players implying they are "gay" or "effeminate" for behaving a certain way, begins with the premise that being gay or being female are in and of themselves a lesser status than being a straight male.

Just like a female athlete being implied they're "masculine" or "lesbians" begins with the premise that being masculine or a lesbian is in and of itself a lesser status than being a straight feminine female?

I pointed out a way in which people are more likely to come to the rescue and defend women more vehemently than they are men, and you just tried to spin the narrative in a way where it's really women and femininity that are the targets of prejudice in that case too, even though the genders were reversed. Can you see how dismissive of men that sounds? That (according to you) when women are the target, it's prejudice against women and femininity, and when men are the target, it's prejudice against women and femininity. I guess women are always the victims and in need of special protection no matter what, right?

Quote:
Calling out sexist, racist or homophobic statements on a message board may seem like "shaming" to you, but it seems like speaking up for the truth to me.

It can't be both?

I don't think shaming is in and of itself a bad thing (maybe we differ on that,) it depends on if what you're shaming is actually shameful or not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: