Kobe vs. MJ - Identical Plays 3 vid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject:

The video is really beautiful to watch.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
cirehawk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
Kobe is the closest thing to MJ, peeps gotta get off the LeBron cool aid. It's not even close!!!

This post is not really directed at you, but it's a good place make a point. Everyone has their image of what they consider the "best" type of basketball. If a person views the MJ style of play best, then they will consider him the best ever and feel Kobe is the closest to him (some may feel he is better). Others prefer Magic's style and consider him the GOAT. LBJ's game is more like Magic's (compared to MJ and Kobe), but he is a hybrid of those players. Yet others prefer a big man's game and consider KAJ (or Wilt) the GOAT. None of those opinions are wrong. They are jusy opinions. We all have them.

I for one believe Kobe is one of the best ever. However, I can also acknowledge the greatness of LBJ without being on "the kool aid". If you define greatness as who is the closest thing to MJ, then of course LBJ isn't even close because his game is nothing like theirs (neither is Magic's, so is he not close to Kobe in greatness either?). But if you take into account the skill set, the overall game, their level of dominance, etc., then LBJ is one of the best ever. I just think Kobe ranks higher.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject:

That was freaky
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject:

Amazing, isn't it? THE SUPERB FOOTWORKS made those moves possible.

BUT THERE ARE LOTS OF KOBE'S MOVES THAT MJ CANNOT COPY. OR DARE NOT DO.

Left hand shots.
Turnaround LONG-range jumpers.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject:

1020 wrote:
The hate comments Kobe gets on that vid is hilarious. Can't even respect greatness in Kobe. The hate must be from fans of teams that Kobe ripped apart and also the MJ followers. Just appreciate the guy for when he retires, it will leave a big void in the NBA.

Kobe can't win the MJ comparison because the Jordan fans are so entrenched in the worship of their god. It's a myopic and very selective comparison too. There are other moves that Kobe uses that Jordan never used....these videos don't focus on that. They basically only paint Kobe as a Jordan imitator, when he is so much more.

When I see these, I'm always reminded of the time that Kobe fell in love with the Dirk fadeaway. It was pretty funny....after a while it became clear that Kobe did the move better than Dirk. That's how he's great. He might copy your pet move, but he'll do it better. Doesn't matter if he did it second, when he does it better.

Last edited by K28 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

Left hand shots.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.

MJ had great footwork, Kobe took that, shooting and going left to another level compared to MJ. and lets not even talk about what Kobe would have done in single coverage against 5'11" Travis Best like MJ had.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Left hand shots.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.

MJ had great footwork, Kobe took that, shooting and going left to another level compared to MJ. and lets not even talk about what Kobe would have done in single coverage against 5'11" Travis Best like MJ had.

Don't forget defensive stalwart Craig Elho
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

Left hand shots.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.

Both obviously all-time players. But no question Kobe had the benefit of copying MJ's moves. Obviously an unanswerable question, but if there was no MJ, who would Kobe have modeled his game after?
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Left hand shots.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.

Both obviously all-time players. But no question Kobe had the benefit of copying MJ's moves. Obviously an unanswerable question, but if there was no MJ, who would Kobe have modeled his game after?

It's kind of crazy when Laker fans drink the kool-aid of the Cult of MJ too. Jordan didn't invent any of these moves that were supposedly "his". There were great players that came before Jordan. Many of them used these moves. While Jordan was a big influence on Kobe, but he wasn't the only one.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Left hand shots.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.

It's kind of crazy when Laker fans drink the kool-aid of the Cult of MJ too. Jordan didn't invent any of these moves that were supposedly "his". There were great players that came before Jordan. Many of them used these moves. While Jordan was a big influence on Kobe, but he wasn't the only one.

But it's pretty clear Kobe patterned a large part of his game on MJ, which is the smart thing to do. And MJ took influences from people before him...and so on and so on.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Left hand shots.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.

But it's pretty clear Kobe patterned a large part of his game on MJ, which is the smart thing to do. And MJ took influences from people before him...and so on and so on.

Kobe did admit those moves and created his own which current generations are trying to copy. It's like "Now they are trying to copy me."
travanx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

I can't believe the video shots can match up so well on top of the movements.

If Kobe can copy multiple players' moves and pull them off, isn't that good thing? I hope the Lakers get whoever can emulate Kobe and Jordan and put their own spin on things, next.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Left hand shots.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.

Very true. The identical moves does not fascinate me. They are not the only ones in history to use these moves. It's visually appealing because they both have the same body type, height and form. Hakeem can do all those post moves and fake left spin right fadeways, but it wouldn't be visually appealing to make a video comparing a center and a guard. How many wings have done baseline jams in the history of this game? You can make a similar video comparing T-Mac and Kobe. But MJ and Kobe is visually appealing in a video because they're like stunt doubles.
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Left hand shots.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.

Don't forget defensive stalwart Craig Elho

I saw MJ score over that defensive beast named Kevin Johnson from the Suns...
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe vs. MJ - Identical Plays 3 vid

cmonkee wrote:
LINK

I love the first part with the seamless transitions

Wow, props to the editor.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

Don't see why people have to reflexively start comparing Kobe to Jordan. Kobe clearly picked up lots of moves from the best player that preceded him. Jordan probably learned from Dr. J and guys like David Thompson. It's how players get better. Now, if Kobe had patterned his game after say Oliver Pig Miller, that's a whole different story.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Don't see why people have to reflexively start comparing Kobe to Jordan. Kobe clearly picked up lots of moves from the best player that preceded him. Jordan probably learned from Dr. J and guys like David Thompson. It's how players get better. Now, if Kobe had patterned his game after say Oliver Pig Miller, that's a whole different story.

Kobe does eat first so maybe he did copy Pig Miller.

!...
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Oliver Pig Miller

FTR, these are actually two different NBA players.

There was Anthony "Pig" Miller who played for (rode the bench is more like it) for the Lakers from 94-96

Oliver Miller was a fat tub o' lard that tried to play Center for the Penix Suns in the early 90s.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm impressed by just how much time that youtuber must have invested in finding those videos to match up. That is some award-winning work.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

In the words of Omar Little when having his second encounter with Brother Miz, "That's like wondering if the sun gone come up."
Omar_
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

In the words of Omar Little when having his second encounter with Brother Miz, "That's like wondering if the sun gone come up."

I keeps one in the chamber in case you ponderin.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Like comparing Mike Lee (Omar's protege) with Omar. Sure, Mike learned the ropes from him too.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Left hand shots.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.

Have you ever even picked up a basketball? Those are just basketball moves, they're not "Jordan" moves. It's just that there aren't a lot of players that have the skill or confidence to pull them off on a consistent level 'cept for a few.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I'm impressed by just how much time that youtuber must have invested in finding those videos to match up. That is some award-winning work.

Yeah pretty insane. I kept picturing some dude figuring out a children's playing card match game set only except with about 67,000 cards in the deck all laid out in different cities.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Left hand shots.
Freaky three pointers.

Just to name a few.

Have you ever even picked up a basketball? Those are just basketball moves, they're not "Jordan" moves. It's just that there aren't a lot of players that have the skill or confidence to pull them off on a consistent level 'cept for a few.

Of course I've played ball for many years (and continue to).

Are you telling you never played 1-on-1 with someone and didn't say, "I'm going do Tim Hardaway's killer crossover on you," or do Dirk's "one leg fadeaway" or do Hakeem's "dream shake?" Are those "just basketball moves" or did they get popularized by the player and are associated and referred to with that player. Come on now.

There are lots of "Jordan moves" that are associated with him since he used them so regularly. Of course, a layup is a layup, but there are certain flairs/moves popularized by players. Kobe patterened himself after Jordan (rightfully so). So what's the big deal? Kobe has come up with his own moves too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: