Kobe vs. MJ - Identical Plays 3 vid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject:

^ Yup. I used to play tennis and modeled my serve after Pete Sampras. All the way down to the exaggerated angle of the foot leaving only the heel on the ground to start the serve.

What I don't get, is why people get so defensive about the idea that Kobe modeled his game, and just about perfected it, from one of the all-time greats (if not the greatest). IMO, one of the greatest things about Kobe is that he will work with someone who has a patented move that was successful and learn how to do it and then go and do it right there on the court. (And in some cases, improve upon it). I've also seen Kobe pull off the Dirk fallaway, Hakeem post moves, the T-Mac off-the-backboard play, etc.

Subsequent generations have modeled themselves after Kobe too as you point out. For instance, I'd say Kobe really popularized the swing through move (which, they're not calling as much at all anymore), but for a period of time all of the younger players were doing it. I guess they weren't modeling after Kobe, they were just basketball moves. lol
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject:

Of course I do that (bleep) all the time. But I miss 90% of the damn time even playing with 3rd rate chumps or Mahorn and Oakley (who are invisible). I also do a bunch of other weirdo moves that cause me to miss 99.9% of the time. They're still basketball moves (well almost).

You see other NBA players pulling off Kareem's, Hakeem's, Kobe's, Magic's and Michael's ever so often. You simply get glimpses from time to time. It's because they are inherently harder shots and most players besides a few don't have, as I mentioned earlier, the skill set , the confidence to do so. They're not playing against 3rd rate chumps at the playground either , they're playing against NBA elite defense. It's going to be way less than 50% fgp and they'd get benched in a jiffy.

VAN EXELLLLLLL as I attempt a 70 degree turn around upside down finger roll off a tree branch, killing a nest of blue jays, with a tennis ball then knocking off the last 3 shingles of my POS roof off that I've already destroyed with my countless other Van Exel's.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:
Pllleeeassee god, aliens, luck or whatever the hell is in charge of the universe. Please just let Kobe win 1 more ring!! Pleaseeee!!

god dude, the things i would give to see this happen.

that video got me so freaking pumped.

fml i cant believe some people still disrespect kobe's legacy man.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
I just watched this. However you rank them, KB and MJ are the two best players of all time.

Better than Magic/Bird.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
^ Yup. I used to play tennis and modeled my serve after Pete Sampras. All the way down to the exaggerated angle of the foot leaving only the heel on the ground to start the serve.

I have always done this too. The serve, the 4 lead strips on the 85 @ 75lbs, the black Jordan edition Oscillates, the running down the line forehand, the s+v...I even give lessons based on Pete's game.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Yoki24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Notice how most of the clips are from 2nd 3-peat Jordan.

Prime Jordan (87-83) and Prime Kobe (03-09) didn't play anything like each other.

That's why people get frustrated when you hear idiots sprouting that garbage about Kobe "copying" Jordan. Not to mention the fact that Kobe has stolen moves from damn near every all-time great.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
12 wrote:
Pllleeeassee god, aliens, luck or whatever the hell is in charge of the universe. Please just let Kobe win 1 more ring!! Pleaseeee!!

god dude, the things i would give to see this happen.

that video got me so freaking pumped.

fml i cant believe some people still disrespect kobe's legacy man.

It'll get better in a few years...all the Jordan stans will start getting old and won't be able to type too good, and kids who grew up with Kobe will remember him more.
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:

1020 wrote:
The hate comments Kobe gets on that vid is hilarious. Can't even respect greatness in Kobe. The hate must be from fans of teams that Kobe ripped apart and also the MJ followers. Just appreciate the guy for when he retires, it will leave a big void in the NBA.

I totally agree, although the same can be said about Lebron. He gets a lot of unnecessary hate, even when we should just sit back and enjoy exceptional basketball.
jlin1
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject:

1020 wrote:
The hate comments Kobe gets on that vid is hilarious. Can't even respect greatness in Kobe. The hate must be from fans of teams that Kobe ripped apart and also the MJ followers. Just appreciate the guy for when he retires, it will leave a big void in the NBA.

The NBA will be just fine when kobe retires. Did you happen to watch the '14 finals?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject:

jlin1 wrote:
1020 wrote:

The NBA will be just fine when kobe retires. Did you happen to watch the '14 finals?

Nice try, Spurstalk.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject:

This is Jordan signature move:
MJ
scuddman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject:

I hear this all the time, that Kobe modelled his game after Michael Jordan. Actually, he modelled his game after many all time greats:

Olajuwon's and Kareem's post moves. His own style of shot off the backboard. And the little Mark Jackson floater. Those are non-Michael Jordan moves.
scuddman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Some more nonjordan stuff:

0:56 -> Step through finger roll. That's a footwork/post move.

2:35 -> step through floater, left hand. Very few post players have this kind of mid range touch with both hands. Maybe Pau...and that's about it. Other good post players...basically don't have this move.

2:40 -> turn around to left hand. LeBron used this against the pacers pretty well that playoff run where he won his 2nd ring two years ago.

3:02 -> left hand finger roll Same move as :56 with a smaller step but left hand.

3:24 -> another step through move, but the way he splits the defenders reminds me of Kevin Johnson.

3:39 -> step through fake to right hand floater.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject:

scuddman wrote:
I hear this all the time, that Kobe modelled his game after Michael Jordan. Actually, he modelled his game after many all time greats:

Olajuwon's and Kareem's post moves. His own style of shot off the backboard. And the little Mark Jackson floater. Those are non-Michael Jordan moves.

Not to mention the little spin move in tyhe 61 point game against the knicks and the behind the back 360 dunk on the knicks as well.

Kobe is just art on a basketball court.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jlin1 wrote:
1020 wrote:

Nice try, Spurstalk.

He has excused himself from the board.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: