Julio Jones/Steve Smith for Jamaal Charles/Gronk
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Who won this trade:

Assuming all else equal? Jamaal Charles. But it also depends on your league setup.

And my same logic applies. If I start Jamaal Charles and Gronk every week and lose, at least I can say, I played a top 3 RB and TE.

If I start Julio Jones and Steve Smith every week and lose, I have to justify to myself, playing a guy who as a FA pickup in Steve Smith.

Not to say FA pickups can't be fantasy contributors because they most certainly can. But it's hard for me to believe Steve Smith can keep this up at his age, over the course of a season. He's on pace for over 1,700 yards and 12 TDs. Those numbers are reserved for Calvin Johnson, not 35 year old 5'9" Steve Smith. His TD pace for sure will not keep up -- he's not a red zone target.

IMO, if I had Steve Smith, I would be selling him high right now. Maybe try to flip him for a Demaryius Thomas.

Last edited by ringfinger on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
Matt Ryan or Andy Dalton ?
I'd go with Ryan.

Yes. In a land slide. Start Ryan all day and don't think twice. Here's why.

1) CIN is a running team now with OC Jay Gruden gone. They have two legitimate running backs in Giovani Bernard and Jeremy Hill.

2) NE is not good at defending the run. They rank 23rd in the league in run defense allowing an average of 130 yards per game on the ground.

3) This might surprise you, but NE ranks #1 in the league in pass defense allowing an average of less than 190 YPG.

So the key to beating NE is on the ground, Dalton is playing NE on the road too and typically, a player on average will post numbers 5%-10% lower on the road so the matchup better be tasty and this matchup is not (IMO).

Matt Ryan is playing the Giants who have been much better of late, does not have any running backs they will run the ball through for a 20-25 carry type game so they'll try to win through the air. Should be a shoot out if NYG is back as a legitimate offensive team now.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Who won this trade:

Assuming all else equal? Jamaal Charles. But it also depends on your league setup.

Hmmm, maybe. It might depend on how Gronk does the rest of the season.

It's a PPR league. Charles scored 31 points last week. Julio averages 23 PPG and Smith averages 24 ppg. They are ranked 4 and 3 respectively.

Charles averaged 24 ppg last season in the same scoring format. But no doubt he won his owners their playoff game when he put up 66 points against the Raiders.

Julio is a pretty safe bet as long as he's healthy. He'll probably end up averaging around 20-23 ppg if he can play the entire season. Steve Smith is a wildcard. He's been pretty crazy this season. Do you think one should sell high on Smith?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Who won this trade:

It's a PPR league. Charles scored 31 points last week. Julio averages 23 PPG and Smith averages 24 ppg. They are ranked 4 and 3 respectively.

Charles averaged 24 ppg last season in the same scoring format. But no doubt he won his owners their playoff game when he put up 66 points against the Raiders.

Julio is a pretty safe bet as long as he's healthy. He'll probably end up averaging around 20-23 ppg if he can play the entire season. Steve Smith is a wildcard. He's been pretty crazy this season. Do you think one should sell high on Smith?

There is absolutely no way Steve Smith can keep this up. He's on pace for a 1,700 yards, 12 TD season.

At that pace, he would have finished last season as the league's #1 receiver in yards per game.

He's 35 years old. He's 5'9". So he isn't going to be a regular target in the red zone (Torrey Smith and Owen Daniels will be), and he'll likely slow down as the weather gets colder and his creaky bones get creakier.

IMO, he is the #1 sell high player in the NFL right now in fantasy.

In a PPR league, Jamaal Charles becomes even more valuable. You make sure you have Knile Davis on your roster and you have a virtual guarantee of RB1 production for the entire season even if Jamaal goes down.

I do love me some Julio Jones, don't get me wrong, but it's the Steve Smith part of the trade I do not like. 5'9" receivers aren't typically double digit TD producers, and when they're 35, they won't typically hold up for an entire season.

It's possible, sure, but it's highly unlikely.

Gronk is always an injury risk so whoever has him should make sure he is backed up by a quality TE option.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Who won this trade:

And my same logic applies. If I start Jamaal Charles and Gronk every week and lose, at least I can say, I played a top 3 RB and TE.

If I start Julio Jones and Steve Smith every week and lose, I have to justify to myself, playing a guy who as a FA pickup in Steve Smith.

Not to say FA pickups can't be fantasy contributors because they most certainly can. But it's hard for me to believe Steve Smith can keep this up at his age, over the course of a season. He's on pace for over 1,700 yards and 12 TDs. Those numbers are reserved for Calvin Johnson, not 35 year old 5'9" Steve Smith. His TD pace for sure will not keep up -- he's not a red zone target.

IMO, if I had Steve Smith, I would be selling him high right now. Maybe try to flip him for a Demaryius Thomas.

Smith wont likely keep up the pace, but considering he's been swallowing up a good chunk of Flacco's targets, he probably wont fall off that much. Flacco loves throwing the ball to him. You always want to invest in favorite targets, especially ones on either pass happy teams or teams that will always be playing from behind, especially in PPR leagues.

I don't know about Thomas. He's been average this season and Manning likes to spread the ball around. If that screen pass isn't working he's not putting up numbers. And that screen pass hasn't been working. Thomas for Smith wouldn't be selling high on Smith at this point, but who knows what happens the rest of the season.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Who won this trade:

There is absolutely no way Steve Smith can keep this up. He's on pace for a 1,700 yards, 12 TD season.

At that pace, he would have finished last season as the league's #1 receiver in yards per game.

He's 35 years old. He's 5'9". So he isn't going to be a regular target in the red zone (Torrey Smith and Owen Daniels will be), and he'll likely slow down as the weather gets colder and his creaky bones get creakier.

In a PPR league, Jamaal Charles becomes even more valuable. You make sure you have Knile Davis on your roster and you have a virtual guarantee of RB1 production for the entire season even if Jamaal goes down.

I do love me some Julio Jones, don't get me wrong, but it's the Steve Smith part of the trade I do not like. 5'9" receivers aren't typically double digit TD producers, and when they're 35, they won't typically hold up for an entire season.

Gronk is always an injury risk so whoever has him should make sure he is backed up by a quality TE option.

6' and under receivers may not be 10+ TD candidates, but they sure as hell rack up those receptions and yards when they are favorite targets. Look at Antonio Brown, Wes Welker, or Reggie Wayne before his injury.

Looking at this team: http://i.imgur.com/lpYsNsx.png

What would you try to bring in for Smith?

I really want to bring in Josh Gordon to shore up my playoff roster. What would you offer to this team? http://i.imgur.com/gKYvuEs.png
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Who won this trade:

Smith wont likely keep up the pace, but considering he's been swallowing up a good chunk of Flacco's targets, he probably wont fall off that much. Flacco loves throwing the ball to him. You always want to invest in favorite targets, especially ones on either pass happy teams or teams that will always be playing from behind, especially in PPR leagues.

I don't know about Thomas. He's been average this season and Manning likes to spread the ball around. If that screen pass isn't working he's not putting up numbers. And that screen pass hasn't been working. Thomas for Smith wouldn't be selling high on Smith at this point, but who knows what happens the rest of the season.

Well, I beg to differ. I think Steve Smith is going to come down to earth. I mean, one of his TDs last week wasn't even a pass intended for him. It ricocheted off I think Owen Daniels and bounce to Smith for a 66 yard TD reception. If you remove that for projection purposes (since you can't expect that to happen once every 4 games), then his 139 yard effort last week becomes a 73 yard effort.

Factor in his age (35) makes him prone to injury or just slowing down, and his size (5'9") and he can't be counted on for red zone looks.

This has ALL the markings of a sell high candidate.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Who won this trade:

Well, I beg to differ. I think Steve Smith is going to come down to earth. I mean, one of his TDs last week wasn't even a pass intended for him. It ricocheted off I think Owen Daniels and bounce to Smith for a 66 yard TD reception. If you remove that for projection purposes (since you can't expect that to happen once every 4 games), then his 139 yard effort last week becomes a 73 yard effort.

Factor in his age (35) makes him prone to injury or just slowing down, and his size (5'9") and he can't be counted on for red zone looks.

I agree that he's a sell high candidate, but I don't know if Thomas is that player.

What do you think about McCoy for the rest of the season?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Who won this trade:

6' and under receivers may not be 10+ TD candidates, but they sure as hell rack up those receptions and yards when they are favorite targets. Look at Antonio Brown, Wes Welker, or Reggie Wayne before his injury.

Looking at this team: http://i.imgur.com/lpYsNsx.png

What would you try to bring in for Smith?

I really want to bring in Josh Gordon to shore up my playoff roster. What would you offer to this team? http://i.imgur.com/gKYvuEs.png

You need improvement at RB. It might be too late because I think McCoy has a good chance of breaking out this week with Lane Johnson coming back, but, if it were me, I'd try to package up Smith with an RB, maybe Ivory, for McCoy. I think you need to shore up your RBs. Ingram is nice but he makes me nervous, and Lamar Miller has another 3 weeks left to produce for you before Knowshon comes back.

Or, even Bush+Smith for McCoy and a TE since you're pretty weak there. Or Smith+Lamar Miller for McCoy.

Then your RBs would be McCoy+Jennings, slide Desean in at WR to replace Smith, and then play any one of Ivory or whoever at flex. But yeah, I would try to sell high in Smith to get an RB and shore that up a bit. Ivory is an injury risk, Bush will be great in week 5 with Joique out but going forward he'll have to share reps with him, Lamar Miller might lose his job (though, he might keep it if he keeps it up), Ingram isn't a player I'd want to rely on personally.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Who won this trade:

I agree that he's a sell high candidate, but I don't know if Thomas is that player.

Ha! We're on the same page brotha! I think McCoy is a fantastic buy low candidate. I doubt you will get it straight up, but, if you can package Smith with someone to get McCoy, great thinking.

It's hard for me to believe that McCoy will continue to struggle in a run-first high-octane offense like the Eagles. It's a gamble, but, I think a really, really good one.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Who won this trade:

Ha! We're on the same page brotha! I think McCoy is a fantastic buy low candidate. I doubt you will get it straight up, but, if you can package Smith with someone to get McCoy, great thinking.

It's hard for me to believe that McCoy will continue to struggle in a run-first high-octane offense like the Eagles. It's a gamble, but, I think a really, really good one.

It is a gamble, and anytime I might make a trade like this, I look at what teams the players will be playing in the playoffs. McCoy has Seattle, Dallas, and @Washington. I feel I should stay away from him. Seattle is Seattle, and Washington held him to 22 yards on 19 carries. That lineup of teams scares the crap outta me.

Even if he improves a little, will his production vs those teams be any better than say a Reggie Bush vs Tampa/Minny/@Chicago?

McCoy's problem is his offensive line. They are pretty banged up. He'll improve when his line gets healthy. But those teams scare me.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

I'm coming around on your Thomas trade idea.

Here's the team that has him. http://i.imgur.com/6AqUh8L.png

Should it be a straight Smith/Thomas swap?

I'm hesitant to trade Smith because he's the only high value trade piece on my roster that I'm willing to depart with, but him being 35 years old is what's throwing me off.

If Thomas rebounds it will definitely be worth it.

ETA: Gonna see if I can get McCoy/Gordon for Smith/filler. Then wait it out until McCoy has a good "sell high" game and try to flip him.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
I'm coming around on your Thomas trade idea.

Here's the team that has him. http://i.imgur.com/6AqUh8L.png

Should it be a straight Smith/Thomas swap?

I'm hesitant to trade Smith because he's the only high value trade piece on my roster that I'm willing to depart with, but him being 35 years old is what's throwing me off.

If Thomas rebounds it will definitely be worth it.

ETA: Gonna see if I can get McCoy/Gordon for Smith/filler. Then wait it out until McCoy has a good "sell high" game and try to flip him.

I'd trade Smith for Demaryius in a heartbeat. Yeah, if I were doing it, I would try to do it straight up unless you think you can do some kind of package deal and improve at RB.

I can't BELIEVE this guy is playing both Forsett and Crowell ahead of Ellington in a PPR league. Man, maybe you can get Ellington!

Smith+Ivory+Ingram for Demaryius and Ellington? Probably not.

Yeah, it is a gamble, but, I just can't pin my fantasy success on a 35 year 5'9" receiver putting up the best numbers of his long career. I think Torrey Smith will start to improve, and Smith decline a little. Just my thoughts.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

No go on the Shady trade. This guy is a horrible player. He's 0-3-1 and sitting on Josh Gordon as if he's going to be of use for him in the playoffs. He responded to my trade by countering with Josh Gordon for Rashad, Julio and Ivory.

Whatever. At least I know no one else will have a fresh Gordon come playoff time.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Thank God I had the foresight to draft Russell Wilson as a backup plan in case Tom Brady laid another egg this season. Saved me a whole lot of stress.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Thank God I had the foresight to draft Russell Wilson as a backup plan in case Tom Brady laid another egg this season. Saved me a whole lot of stress.

Russell Wilson is a much better real-life QB than fantasy QB. The problem with him is that he's on a run-first team and just doesn't throw the ball enough to be an everyday starter.

He's only ever thrown for 300 yards or more twice in his entire career, and only ever thrown the ball more than 35 times or more once in his career.

Personally, rather than hold a permanent roster spot for Wilson, I think I'd rather stream QBs on a weekly basis based on matchups. Maybe you keep Wilson (or Brady) and then drop the other and pick up QBs when they have a juicy matchup.
LGmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject:

Brandon Marshall or Kelvin Benjamin?

thanks
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject:

LGmachine wrote:

thanks

Always play your studs. Brandon Marshall.

Why can't you play both?
LGmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LGmachine wrote:

thanks

Why can't you play both?

Thanks..

My WR1 Antonio Brown
WR2 Maclin
Flex : Brandon Marshall or Benjamin

PPR. have a great weekend!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject:

LGmachine wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LGmachine wrote:

thanks

Why can't you play both?

Thanks..

My WR1 Antonio Brown
WR2 Maclin
Flex : Brandon Marshall or Benjamin

PPR. have a great weekend!

IMO, your WR2 should be Marshall and your flex should be between Maclin and Benjamin.

I'd probably go Benjamin but it's basically a coinflip between those guys.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

I have Sproles and Jeremy Hill on my bench in favor of L. Bell and Khiry Robinson. I know that's the smart play, but I can help but feel like Hill is going to have a big game. I hate not feeling 100% on my lineup. Wish I could NOT see my bench stats during the games. LOL
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Russell Wilson is a much better real-life QB than fantasy QB. The problem with him is that he's on a run-first team and just doesn't throw the ball enough to be an everyday starter.

He's only ever thrown for 300 yards or more twice in his entire career, and only ever thrown the ball more than 35 times or more once in his career.

Personally, rather than hold a permanent roster spot for Wilson, I think I'd rather stream QBs on a weekly basis based on matchups. Maybe you keep Wilson (or Brady) and then drop the other and pick up QBs when they have a juicy matchup.

Maybe. I also have Marshawn Lynch so I know how run-focused Seattle is. Most of the points I get from Russell are TDs to his running backs or rush plays.

My league is pretty big so there aren't many decent QBs on the FA or waiver market. Wilson's outplayed all the ones available right now. If Brady lays another egg this week I might drop him for hot matchup QBs, as you suggest.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15
Jump to: