How cool would it be if Kobe wins the MVP next year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

Just hope he can stay healthy first.
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

Even if Kobe would average a triple double, PER of 40, and carry the Lakers into the #1 seed of the western conference, and win the championship, the media would NEVER give Kobe another MVP. They hate Kobe, they hate the Lakers. WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

There is 0% chance to happen.
chazz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject:

Unlikely but never count out Kobe and his drive and passion
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject:

Can it really be cool if the MVP is meaningless though? Food for thought.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

It is impossible for Kobe to win MVP this year no matter what he does. My proof: he can have a season where he scores 81 freaking points and puts up ridiculous numbers and he couldn't win. I don't believe the games are fixed, but there are only certain players that the NBA will allow to be chosen MVp and Kobe isn't in the group.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

I think OP meant Comeback Player of the Year Award
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
mettaElbow
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: How cool would it be if Kobe wins the MVP next year?

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Very unlikely I know, considering his basketball age ... but I think he can do it.

everyone is counting him out... but if there is one guy that can shut people up it's Kobe.... he's gonna do everything in his power to bring the Lakers back into success and being part of the MVP would be a possibility if he leads the Lakers into the playoffs while playing at a high level.

I hope this happens... it would make for a good story.

i know right, id be cooler if jeremy lin plays like lebron james, and i mean it
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

How cool would it be if gas prices went down a dollar?

I love Kobe but the guy only won 1 MVP when he was the best player during a 3 - 5 year stretch.

Although I'd love to see it just to get yinoma's reaction.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

The biggest advantage Kobe has is that we only won 27 games last year. A big jump in wins is often an important factor in MVP voting.

But for Kobe to have a realistic shot he'd have to put up his typical (pre-injury) stats and the Lakers would need to win at least 56 or 57 games. A lot of voters simply won't vote for a guy if his team wins less than that, no matter what his personal stats or accomplishments are.

Of course, Lebron has a big advantage in team win improvement to because he's going to a 33-win team.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

I think it's Nash who wins it this year. Kobe's still young he'll win it in 2016.
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
I think it's Nash who wins it this year. Kobe's still young he'll win it in 2016.

Yeahh... and we have Booozer who's just getting started and should be in the MVP race in a few years.

Why is everyone complaining? We got a great team for the near future!
ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
It is impossible for Kobe to win MVP this year no matter what he does. My proof: he can have a season where he scores 81 freaking points and puts up ridiculous numbers and he couldn't win. I don't believe the games are fixed, but there are only certain players that the NBA will allow to be chosen MVp and Kobe isn't in the group.

Kobe has an MVP, so he must be in the "allowed" group
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
It would be super cool.

I don't know why some people here have to be such downers.

It's like talking about positive things, even if the chances are low, is like cooties to them. They hate positive talk.

If Kobe put up good numbers, and the Lakers got a decent playoff seed he'd be an MVP candidate. He wouldn't necessarily need to have crazy numbers. He'd just have to be a leader of the team that defies expectations.

I don't mind being positive if it's realistic. This is just nonsense, and should be reacted to as such.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

This would be awesome cuz it'd mean we have a roster full of tradeable assets!!!
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

This would be awesome cuz it'd mean we have a roster full of tradeable assets!!!
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

forget the mvp..gimme the ring
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

Kobe could possibly have the type of year that would warrant an MVP, however this roster is not good enough to be a top 2 or 3 team in the West, which is exactly what would have to happen to be considered.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

KobeDGreatesss wrote:
That would be amazing. I think Kobe is highly motivated. He's been getting unwarranted criticism since the extension. Melo rejected Kobe.. "Nobody wants to play with Kobe", he's too old, etc.

He's gotten plenty of rest and rehab and we know Kobe isn't lazy.

I'm kind of new to the Lakers, and I am impressed so far. Found this about Kobe today:

In 2012, Bryant was selected as a member of Team USA. During this time, one of the athletic trainer’s for Team USA, a man named Robert, was working with Kobe to prepare for the Olympics. In the story below, which was previously published on Reddit, Robert describes his first experience with Kobe and reveals one of the reasons the superstar has become so successful.

From Robert, trainer for Team USA:

I was invited to Las Vegas to help Team USA with their conditioning before they headed off to London. I’ve had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past, but this would be my first interaction with Kobe.

The night before the first scrimmage, I had just watched “Casablanca” for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM.

A few minutes later, I was in bed, slowly fading away, when I heard my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.

“Hey, uhh, Rob, I hope I’m not disturbing anything right?”

“Uhh, no. What’s up Kob?”

“Just wondering if you could help me out with some conditioning work, that’s all.”

I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.

“Yeah sure, I’ll see you in the facility in a bit.”

It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and get out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor, I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn’t even 5:00 AM.

We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then, we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that, we parted ways. He went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.

I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11:00 AM.

I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. (Thanks, Kobe.) I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All of the Team USA players were there. LeBron was talking to Carmelo and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility Kobe was by himself shooting jumpers.

I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, “Good work this morning.”

“Huh?”

“Like, the conditioning. Good work.”

“Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it.”

“So when did you finish?”

“Finish what?”

“Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?”

“Oh, just now. I wanted 800 makes. So yeah, just now.”

For those of you keeping track at home, Kobe Bryant started his conditioning work around 4:30am, continued to run and sprint until 6am, lifted weights from 6am to 7am, and finally proceeded to make 800 jump shots between 7am and 11am.

Oh yeah, and then Team USA had practice.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
It would be super cool.

I don't know why some people here have to be such downers.

It's like talking about positive things, even if the chances are low, is like cooties to them. They hate positive talk.

If Kobe put up good numbers, and the Lakers got a decent playoff seed he'd be an MVP candidate. He wouldn't necessarily need to have crazy numbers. He'd just have to be a leader of the team that defies expectations.

I don't mind being positive if it's realistic. This is just nonsense, and should be reacted to as such.

This is just chatty conversation. Even the OP says it's unlikely.

But if you don't even want to suspend disbelief for he sake of he subject of the thread, it doesn't make sense to even post in the thread.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Unlikely he wins it. But nice to consider.

Some credence to not getting the votes no matter how well he played but his expected mpg and sustained health are probably more likely the issues.

For fun. What type of stats and scenario would you speculate he would need to win MVP?

35mpg / 28ppg (top 3 scoring) /8 asts per (top 10) / 54 wins (among top turnarounds in League history)

Add a mix of solid defensive effort, improved efficiency and team leadership. Would not hurt to have a few notable defensive moments or game winning shots in marquee games.

Although I find it unlikely, I will not bet against Kobe winning one more battle against Father Time this season. The stats listed are lofty but not completely ridiculous for a Kobe with something to prove to all the skeptics.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Unlikely he wins it. But nice to consider.

Some credence to not getting the votes no matter how well he played but his expected mpg and sustained health are probably more likely the issues.

For fun. What type of stats and scenario would you speculate he would need to win MVP?

35mpg / 28ppg (top 3 scoring) /8 asts per (top 10) / 54 wins (among top turnarounds in League history)

Add a mix of solid defensive effort, improved efficiency and team leadership. Would not hurt to have a few notable defensive moments or game winning shots in marquee games.

Although I find it unlikely, I will not bet against Kobe winning one more battle against Father Time this season. The stats listed are lofty but not completely ridiculous for a Kobe with something to prove to all the skeptics.

This is precisely what you don't want Kobe to shoot for. Stats and huge mpg. Need to pace him and rest him if we want a shot at the playoffs.
Den Sol
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Would be nice.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

What would be cooler?

- Huge stats, an MVP finish, and an NBA Finals exit?

OR

- Poor stats, no MVP, and an NBA Finals win?

I mean, in many ways, they're both cool, and some would likely conclude that both are even cooler than cool (which is more like an uber-cool I guess). But if you had to pick the cooler option of the two cool options, it's tough! And that ain't cool.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:

If he won more games he would have won MVP that season. Why is this so hard to grasp? How "valuable" is any player to a 7th seeded team? If you didn't have them you wouldn't make the playoffs...well you almost didn't make the playoffs anyway!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: