How cool would it be if Kobe wins the MVP next year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Unlikely he wins it. But nice to consider.

Some credence to not getting the votes no matter how well he played but his expected mpg and sustained health are probably more likely the issues.

For fun. What type of stats and scenario would you speculate he would need to win MVP?

35mpg / 28ppg (top 3 scoring) /8 asts per (top 10) / 54 wins (among top turnarounds in League history)

Add a mix of solid defensive effort, improved efficiency and team leadership. Would not hurt to have a few notable defensive moments or game winning shots in marquee games.

Although I find it unlikely, I will not bet against Kobe winning one more battle against Father Time this season. The stats listed are lofty but not completely ridiculous for a Kobe with something to prove to all the skeptics.

This is precisely what you don't want Kobe to shoot for. Stats and huge mpg. Need to pace him and rest him if we want a shot at the playoffs.

My MVP scenario is based on Kobe being capable of playing at that level to earn it.

In reality the Lakers are not even contending for an 8th spot unless Kobe plays at close to that level. The team chemistry, team health and production from the rest of the roster would have to be near perfect to have a chance of happening if he can not. At least a couple players having dramatically improved seasons over their career norms.

I would be thrilled if the Lakers can get consistent wins with Kobe playing 28-30mpg and scoring 18ppg. Just do not see it.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
What would be cooler?

- Huge stats, an MVP finish, and an NBA Finals exit?

OR

- Poor stats, no MVP, and an NBA Finals win?

I mean, in many ways, they're both cool, and some would likely conclude that both are even cooler than cool (which is more like an uber-cool I guess). But if you had to pick the cooler option of the two cool options, it's tough! And that ain't cool.

I think #2 would be more cool.

Not only would that mean another banner... but at the same time it would destroy the "Kobe is a selfish stat hog" meme.
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
LeBronte Jest wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
It would be super cool.

I don't know why some people here have to be such downers.

It's like talking about positive things, even if the chances are low, is like cooties to them. They hate positive talk.

If Kobe put up good numbers, and the Lakers got a decent playoff seed he'd be an MVP candidate. He wouldn't necessarily need to have crazy numbers. He'd just have to be a leader of the team that defies expectations.

I don't mind being positive if it's realistic. This is just nonsense, and should be reacted to as such.

This is just chatty conversation. Even the OP says it's unlikely.

But if you don't even want to suspend disbelief for he sake of he subject of the thread, it doesn't make sense to even post in the thread.

That's all well and good, but threads like this are the reason Laker (Kobe) fans get laughed at. I guess I'm only posting to laugh at the absurdity of it too.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Yes it's unlikely that Kobe wins MVP.

But the OP was just posing a question with optimism even if it's of the "blind" variety.

That being said, it wouldn't be the most miraculous thing to happen in sports if it did happen, even though it appears rather unlikely at the moment.

Furthermore, it's the off season.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
What would be cooler?

OR

I mean, in many ways, they're both cool, and some would likely conclude that both are even cooler than cool (which is more like an uber-cool I guess). But if you had to pick the cooler option of the two cool options, it's tough! And that ain't cool.

I think #2 would be more cool.

Not only would that mean another banner... but at the same time it would destroy the "Kobe is a selfish stat hog" meme.

Cool!

Then again, it might start an "kobe haz no impacts" meme.

That's not cool.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

But the OP was just posing a question with optimism even if it's of the "blind" variety.

That being said, it wouldn't be the most miraculous thing to happen in sports if it did happen, even though it appears rather unlikely at the moment. .

In the five years before his injury, Kobe finished 2, 3, 4, 4 and 5 in MVP voting. He's always in the hunt, and there wouldn't be anything inherently surprising about him winning. After all, he's won before. What makes it unlikely is simply that his age/health may reduce his performance and the team isn't good enough to win enough games to have an MVP winner on it.
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

That being said, it wouldn't be the most miraculous thing to happen in sports if it did happen, even though it appears rather unlikely at the moment.

That's just about all he ever posts.

We're not the best overall, we're not making the playoffs, and Kobe isn't going to be MVP. Nothing wrong with that during a rebuild, but making threads like this just reeks of insecurity (not optimism).
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

I do think Kobe has a shot at it. It's a guarantee that other players will have gaudy stats and their teams will be ahead of the Lakers in the standings, ie Durrant, Paul, etc. How Kobe can win despite better qualifiers depends on how he uses his teammates. It won't be lost on the voters that in order for the Lakers to be in the playoffs Kobe has to be ultra efficient. Him bulk shooting makes the lakers a 500 team at best. Teammates making buckets off his assists is the only way. of course, Kobe being Kobe means he wants to take all the shots. mvp trophy doesn't matter to him anyway.

In 2011 Rose won it with around 25/8/4 despite Durrant getting 28ppg, nash getting 11 assts. Kobe needs to get close to those numbers. Then again, there's always the sentimental angle that the media will play to get Kobe an MVP if he's a 23/7/4 player. Ask Jeter.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

That's just about all he ever posts.

We're not the best overall, we're not making the playoffs, and Kobe isn't going to be MVP. Nothing wrong with that during a rebuild, but making threads like this just reeks of insecurity (not optimism).

Yah, man, I honestly couldn't agree more. It's all just kind of childish.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:

In 2011 Rose won it with around 25/8/4 despite Durrant getting 28ppg, nash getting 11 assts. Kobe needs to get close to those numbers. Then again, there's always the sentimental angle that the media will play to get Kobe an MVP if he's a 23/7/4 player. Ask Jeter.

Rose won because the Bulls won 62 games; it was the best record in the league and a 21-win improvement from the year before.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject:

The media votes for these things and they would never vote for Kobe even if he put up unreal stats this coming season. That being said, it would be cool.

BTW the storyline is pretty much set up for LeBron to win another MVP as part of the feel good "coming home" storyline they will be pumping this season. Remember MJ's second run with the Bulls and the constant Jordan propaganda? That's exactly what the NBA audience will get this year and over the course of the next several.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Firelord_Rag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject:

It would be amazing!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Firelord_Rag wrote:
It would be amazing!

Are you saying it wouldn't be cool?
EmoDias
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject:

MVP! MVP! MVP! you could hear the chants already
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject:

It's really not that unrealistic. MVP is based on expectation, so since everyone is counting him and us out, expectation are low. If he averages 25ppg 6apg, 4rpg, and the Lakers makes the 7th seed, he will get the nod for MVP.
TheSource666
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

No idea why Kobe 2.0 hasn't been banned yet. This is almost like..a very, very cruel form of trolling.
TheSource666
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

fadeaway3 wrote:
It's really not that unrealistic. MVP is based on expectation, so since everyone is counting him and us out, expectation are low. If he averages 25ppg 6apg, 4rpg, and the Lakers makes the 7th seed, he will get the nod for MVP.

Didn't happen when the Lakers were terribad and Kobe put up 81.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Would be cooler if he won a championship
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I vote for really, really cool.

For Kobe to be an MVP candidate, he would need to put up big numbers (which is possible, if he bounces back in '13 form), he would need to be unexpectedly healthy (no more than 10 games missed), and the team would need to greatly exceed expectations (minimum of 45 wins, probably 50). It would also be necessary for none of the other preseason candidates (Lebron, Durant, maybe Rose) to have a big year on a team that wins 60ish games.

If that happened, it would be really, really cool.

If he's putting up near his 2012-13 numbers and the team is in the 50 win range he has a real shot via the "narrative" route. James and Durant will likely have better the all around "metric" numbers.
kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:
The media votes for these things and they would never vote for Kobe even if he put up unreal stats this coming season. That being said, it would be cool.

BTW the storyline is pretty much set up for LeBron to win another MVP as part of the feel good "coming home" storyline they will be pumping this season. Remember MJ's second run with the Bulls and the constant Jordan propaganda? That's exactly what the NBA audience will get this year and over the course of the next several.

I'd love to see the Cavaliers get smashed throughout the season.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject:

It means that 15 to 20 other players had a bad or injury plagued year!!!

Seriously, I didn't feel like listing the names cause the Q is very unrealistic...

HC: Riley
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject:

kinein wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:

I'd love to see the Cavaliers get smashed throughout the season.

I'd love for that to be the case but I expect the full late 90's Jordan treatment here. Refs helping them and all. It's really the reason why I refuse to tune-in and wished that I had a Nielsen box to make it count. Everything from the Veto to this day has been the WWE to me with Dan Gilbert playing the role of Stephanie McMahon.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
KB24DB
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Would be awesome if it happens.
bccat
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

If we are to make the playoffs this year, Kobe will definitely be a serious contender for MVP.
ringThingDoUrThiNg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
What would be cooler?

OR

I would honestly prefer #1. Sounds like a heck of a ride.

I've seen the Lakers win many championships. Sacrificing one to see Kobe go out on top in a finals lost isn't so bad IMO. I don't even think I could be upset.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: