How cool would it be if Kobe wins the MVP next year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject:

ringThingDoUrThiNg wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
What would be cooler?

- Huge stats, an MVP finish, and an NBA Finals exit?

OR

- Poor stats, no MVP, and an NBA Finals win?

I mean, in many ways, they're both cool, and some would likely conclude that both are even cooler than cool (which is more like an uber-cool I guess). But if you had to pick the cooler option of the two cool options, it's tough! And that ain't cool.

I would honestly prefer #1. Sounds like a heck of a ride.

I've seen the Lakers win many championships. Sacrificing one to see Kobe go out on top in a finals lost isn't so bad IMO. I don't even think I could be upset.

(bleep) that. Catching and then passing the Celtics trumps all. Team, not player.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
What would be cooler?

OR

I mean, in many ways, they're both cool, and some would likely conclude that both are even cooler than cool (which is more like an uber-cool I guess). But if you had to pick the cooler option of the two cool options, it's tough! And that ain't cool.

I've seen the Lakers win many championships. Sacrificing one to see Kobe go out on top in a finals lost isn't so bad IMO. I don't even think I could be upset.

Shaq wants to know: how does Kobe's butt taste?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject:

The only way that will happen is if the Lakers go into the playoffs a top four seed. Then that would be like polar vortex cool.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
What would be cooler?

OR

(bleep) that. Catching and then passing the Celtics trumps all. Team, not player.

Haha, I think he's got to be facetious on this one. I mean, his name is "ring thing" so he's got to care about rings over stats right?

Otherwise it would be "statsThingDoUrThiNg".
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Yes it's unlikely that Kobe wins MVP.

But the OP was just posing a question with optimism even if it's of the "blind" variety.

That being said, it wouldn't be the most miraculous thing to happen in sports if it did happen, even though it appears rather unlikely at the moment.

Furthermore, it's the off season.

That's just about all he ever posts.

We're not the best overall, we're not making the playoffs, and Kobe isn't going to be MVP. Nothing wrong with that during a rebuild, but making threads like this just reeks of insecurity (not optimism).

It doesn't seem insecure at all. It's just a fan looking for something to cheer about.

A real insecurity would be someone who avoided being overly positive precisely because they were worried about why other fans laugh at Lakers fans.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
LeBronte Jest wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

But the OP was just posing a question with optimism even if it's of the "blind" variety.

That being said, it wouldn't be the most miraculous thing to happen in sports if it did happen, even though it appears rather unlikely at the moment.

We're not the best overall, we're not making the playoffs, and Kobe isn't going to be MVP. Nothing wrong with that during a rebuild, but making threads like this just reeks of insecurity (not optimism).

It doesn't seem insecure at all. It's just a fan looking for something to cheer about.

A real insecurity would be someone who avoided being overly positive precisely because they were worried about why other fans laugh at Lakers fans.

It would nice to have the perception that we were subject matter experts and not just pom-pom wavers.

When we make posts like this we become the overzealous parents who think their kid is the best player on the field. And those are always at least a little annoying.

So it's less about the perception and who we become as a fanbase.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
What would be cooler?

OR

http://gifsoup.com/view/56517/c-mon-son.html

You walked right into that.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How cool would it be if Kobe wins the MVP next year?

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Very unlikely I know, considering his basketball age ... but I think he can do it.

everyone is counting him out... but if there is one guy that can shut people up it's Kobe.... he's gonna do everything in his power to bring the Lakers back into success and being part of the MVP would be a possibility if he leads the Lakers into the playoffs while playing at a high level.

I hope this happens... it would make for a good story.

It would not make sense since the media does not like Kobe Bryant. There have been seasons where a prime Kobe was robbed of the MVP. Yet we expect a post achilles injury kobe to get an mvp? The only reason the media gave Kobe an MVP at all was to not look like a complete joke.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject:

2 more MVP, 2 more NBA finals MVP and 2 more rings... The only way to get into convo as GOAT
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Kobe wins and the Lakers don't ?

Not cool at all...

if kobe's the MVP the Lakers would be winning BIG TIME. at the very least far exceeding their current expectations.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How cool would it be if Kobe wins the MVP next year?

Jeggs wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Very unlikely I know, considering his basketball age ... but I think he can do it.

everyone is counting him out... but if there is one guy that can shut people up it's Kobe.... he's gonna do everything in his power to bring the Lakers back into success and being part of the MVP would be a possibility if he leads the Lakers into the playoffs while playing at a high level.

It would not make sense since the media does not like Kobe Bryant. There have been seasons where a prime Kobe was robbed of the MVP. Yet we expect a post achilles injury kobe to get an mvp? The only reason the media gave Kobe an MVP at all was to not look like a complete joke.

You saying he didn't deserve it the year he got it???
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How cool would it be if Kobe wins the MVP next year?

ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

I think he's saying he deserved that one and more, but was only begrudgingly given the one.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject:

People are talking and acting like being named MVP is some sort of real accomplishment.

It's not.

It's a phony award, given by a group of self-proclaimed "experts", most of whom know less about the game than the people who play it and the fans who watch it.

Winning a championship is an actual accomplishment, and if Kobe could lead the team to another championship, THAT would be cool.

I don't about who wins the opinion poll of sports writers.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
LeBronte Jest wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

It would nice to have the perception that we were subject matter experts and not just pom-pom wavers.

When we make posts like this we become the overzealous parents who think their kid is the best player on the field. And those are always at least a little annoying.

So it's less about the perception and who we become as a fanbase.

Why would you care about that perception?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: How cool would it be if Kobe wins the MVP next year?

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

I think he's saying he deserved that one and more, but was only begrudgingly given the one.

Well, if he deserved it, wouldn't that be a reason to give him an MVP that year?
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:

People are talking and acting like being named MVP is some sort of real accomplishment.

It's not.

It's a phony award, given by a group of self-proclaimed "experts", most of whom know less about the game than the people who play it and the fans who watch it.

Winning a championship is an actual accomplishment, and if Kobe could lead the team to another championship, THAT would be cool.

I think my thread alluded to the fact that winning the MVP would give Kobe the sense that he can quiet the doubters and make the haters eat there words cause of there questioning of him coming back to an elite level...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

It's not.

I think my thread alluded to the fact that winning the MVP would give Kobe the sense that he can quiet the doubters and make the haters eat there words cause of there questioning of him coming back to an elite level...

And what would it mean if he didn't win it? That he can no longer quiet the doubters and make haters eat their words?
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject:

Shway cool!

But nothing counts more than championships. Dude.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

No.. he can still quiet the doubters but winning the mvp would be extra "cool" especially if he somehow leads the lakers to the title.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
No.. he can still quiet the doubters but winning the mvp would be extra "cool" especially if he somehow leads the lakers to the title.

How exactly would he quiet the MVP doubters if he doesn't win MVP though? Wouldn't he be proving the doubters right if he fails to win MVP?
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

It's not.

And my post pointed out the fact that MVP awards are meaningless.

Ask 2 time MVP award winner Steve Nash which he'd rather have: 2 MVP awards or 1 championship ring?

If Kobe won the MVP award, it would be really cool for the sports writers and broadcaster whose votes decide it. Because it would mean that they finally understand what an MVP is. Usually, the award only shows their complete cluelessness.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

It's not.

And my post pointed out the fact that MVP awards are meaningless.

Ask 2 time MVP award winner Steve Nash which he'd rather have: 2 MVP awards or 1 championship ring?

If Kobe won the MVP award, it would be really cool for the sports writers and broadcaster whose votes decide it. Because it would mean that they finally understand what an MVP is. Usually, the award only shows their complete cluelessness.

..Better yet their biases. I mean seriously people, Do you honestly think clowns like Henry Abbott or Bill Simmons woud vote for Kobe in any award category? Ever? These jokers voted for PJ Brown over Kobe during Kobe's prime years for god's sakes.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: