Greg Oden has been arrested
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:

Keying up a guys car certainly warrants a punch in the face.

No it doesn't. Not even remotely.

It warrants a call to the cops and your insurance company. It's just property damage and nothing more.

It's shocking that you'd propose otherwise.

Really? It's shocking? Some random douche starts to key my car and you expect me to call the cops and my insurance company while his dumb ass runs away? No. Hell no!

I work day and night with hardly any sleep, spend countless overtime hours, never cried about working too hard, didn't go out with friends so I can save money, passed on having a girlfriend so I can save money, finally buy the car I dreamed of, and some piece of crap keys it and all I do is call the cops and my insurance company. That's what you propose? Well, I don't mind admitting that you're a much bigger man than I am. Either that, or you have an enormous amount of money that I don't.

In my case, I'm laying his ass out. Then when he's on the floor, I'm taking his drivers license so I can claim his insurance. Screw the cops. All they do is mess with innocent people trying to get to work on time.

QFT
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject:

i am groot
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:

It warrants a call to the cops and your insurance company. It's just property damage and nothing more.

Really? It's shocking? Some random douche starts to key my car and you expect me to call the cops and my insurance company while his dumb ass runs away? No. Hell no!

I work day and night with hardly any sleep, spend countless overtime hours, never cried about working too hard, didn't go out with friends so I can save money, passed on having a girlfriend so I can save money, finally buy the car I dreamed of, and some piece of crap keys it and all I do is call the cops and my insurance company. That's what you propose? Well, I don't mind admitting that you're a much bigger man than I am. Either that, or you have an enormous amount of money that I don't.

In my case, I'm laying his ass out. Then when he's on the floor, I'm taking his drivers license so I can claim his insurance. Screw the cops. All they do is mess with innocent people trying to get to work on time.

Shocking may be the wrong word. I'm certainly used to the idea that some people needlessly resort to violence.

Disappointing is probably a better easy to put it. The idea of responding to some property damage by engaging in what is likely to be an escalation of violence strikes me as wholly unproductive and unwise. I don't see much difference between that and a guy who beats up a woman because she "provoked" him. It's just rationalization for inappropriate violence.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:

I didn't cry about working too much, but I'm going to cry that I worked too much to justify punching the guy.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:

Shocking may be the wrong word. I'm certainly used to the idea that some people needlessly resort to violence.

Disappointing is probably a better easy to put it. The idea of responding to some property damage by engaging in what is likely to be an escalation of violence strikes me as wholly unproductive and unwise. I don't see much difference between that and a guy who beats up a woman because she "provoked" him. It's just rationalization for inappropriate violence.

How about if a guy was stealing $250 from you? $500? $1000?

Just let it happen?

There's a deductible you have to pay if you don't stop the guy.

Edit: This in general. Not with someone I can identify.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject:

It's incredible that people don't realize that assault is against the law. What the other person did or didn't do is irrelevant. Now if the other person also commits assault (or vandalism or theft), then we have two people who broke the law. The old saying two wrongs don't make a right is a saying for a reason. It's true.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:

So you would take the chance of throwing away all that you have worked so hard for, hurting someone and maybe going to jail on the off chance that a pedestrian has car insurance and that they would cover your deductible? How much is that, $500? Your sweat, hard work and dreams are worth $500?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
12 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:

So you would take the chance of throwing away all that you have worked so hard for, hurting someone and maybe going to jail on the off chance that a pedestrian has car insurance and that they would cover your deductible? How much is that, $500? Your sweat, hard work and dreams are worth $500?

Well... not if you put it that way.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
12 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:

Wow. Someone on LG listened to a good argument and changed their views upon some calm reflection. I personally haven't seen that (or done that myself) yet. Well done both of you guys sincerely.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

does his knee even capable of doing anything illegal?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:

How about if a guy was stealing $250 from you? $500? $1000?

Just let it happen?

There's a deductible you have to pay if you don't stop the guy.

Edit: This in general. Not with someone I can identify.

I could be wrong, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that you are smart enough to understand the difference between vandalism and being mugged.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
12 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
12 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:

Wow. Someone on LG listened to a good argument and changed their views upon some calm reflection. I personally haven't seen that (or done that myself) yet. Well done both of you guys sincerely.

No doubt. 12 really stepped up there. Commendable for sure. A very refreshing thing to see.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
It's incredible that people don't realize that assault is against the law. What the other person did or didn't do is irrelevant. Now if the other person also commits assault (or vandalism or theft), then we have two people who broke the law. The old saying two wrongs don't make a right is a saying for a reason. It's true.

Not to mention the risks involved in pointlessly engaging in the escalation of violence.

You punch the vandal in the mouth. He pulls a weapon and suddenly the cost of the deductible on a new paint job pales in comparison to the costs of your trip to the ER or your funeral.

I know many males like to think that they are going to throw one quick blow and knock some guy out cold, but it rarely works out that way for the vast majority of people.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Prosecutors in Indiana have formally charged former No. 1 NBA draft pick Greg Oden with battery for allegedly punching his ex-girlfriend in the face during a fight.

The free-agent center was charged Monday with FELONY BATTERY resulting in serious bodily injury, misdemeanor domestic battery, and misdemeanor battery resulting in serious bodily injury.

Scheisse Just Got Real
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
12 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
12 wrote:

QFT

Someone keys my car and I know they did it, they will get hurt. I don't trust cops so I certainly wouldn't call them and like the above poster said I don't work as hard as I do and sacrifice to have a nice car so some moron can come damage it.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kwase wrote:
...getting all up in a man's face, calling him names, embarrassing him in front of people, hitting him, grabbing knives and threatening him, keying up his favorite car and destroying his property IMO warrant getting punched in the jaw!

None of that (with the possible exception of the kinife, I suppose) warrants punching someone in the jaw. It would certainly warrant re-evaluating the qualities you look for in a mate.

Keying up a guys car certainly warrants a punch in the face. I agree with everything else.

You can get up in my face, I'll walk away. You and call me names, I'll ignore it. You can try to embarrass me, but chances are that you're not looking too hot while doing it. But if you pull a knife or key my car, then I'm swinging full force and hoping to loosen some teeth (and I won't be sorry either).

You could burn up my clothes, smash up my ride....well, maybe not the ride.....

Prince
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject:

As strange as it sounds I actually forgot all about this

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/15/report-greg-odens-drinking-an-issue-during-season-alleged-domestic-assault/

Quote:
Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault

Greg Oden said this spring, “I’m one of the biggest busts in NBA history, and I know that it’ll only get worse.”

He was referencing how the gap between himself and 2007 No. 2 pick Kevin Durant was widening. Durant had just won Most Valuable Player, and more success is certainly in line for the Thunder star. Oden, the No. 1 pick, appeared stagnant, at least – which was a big improvement from the downward trend he’d been on since his first injury set him back as a rookie.

But, sadly, Oden has continued in the wrong direction.

Oden was arrested last month for allegedly punching his ex-girlfriend in the face, and he faces felony battery charges. He pleaded not guilty.

It seems Oden’s previously admitted drinking problem played a role in the incident, and warning signs existed while Oden was on the Heat roster this season.

Michael Wallace of ESPN:

Privately, his battle with personal demons still raged, according to multiple sources. Alcohol abuse remained a concern last season as he sat out many games because of soreness in his knees and back. When he was left in Miami during road trips early in the season, he often was spotted at local sports bars and restaurants, including a Hooters across the street from AmericanAirlines Arena, to watch the games.

Oden struck the victim at least three times in the face, causing a laceration across her forehead, a swollen eye and a nasal fracture, according to court documents. A friend of the ex-girlfriend told police Oden stopped punching her only after he saw blood splattering onto the sofa.

"Stop! Stop! Get off her!" witnesses shouted at Oden, according to police records.

"He really wanted to punch the [redacted] up outta her," Zoe Oden told investigators, according to the police report.

Oden placed one of the two 911 calls made from the residence to police after the altercation, according to court records. There, he admitted he got into a fight with his ex-girlfriend.

"I already know how this [redacted] gonna go," he said. The dispatcher asked Oden if an ambulance was needed.

"Um, somebody is bleeding, so yes," he said. "But it’s not that deep. So yes, send an ambulance."

The responding officer arrived at Oden’s home around 3:30 a.m. and observed Oden was "calm, apologetic and cooperative," and that he "took full responsibility for his action."

According to the report, Oden told police: "Things got out of control and I started to go after [the victim]. My mother and [the victim's friend] tried to hold me back but I swung my arms to move them out of the way and then punched [the victim] in the face. I was wrong and I know what has to happen."

The victim was initially uncooperative with authorities but later told police Oden, who has admitted to developing a drinking problem while rehabbing in Portland, had been drinking shots of alcohol and a few beers at the nightclub. She also told police Oden "sometimes gets upset when he drinks" and admitted they had relationship problems.

The legal system will determine Oden’s fate now, but it sounds as if he needs serious help. I hope he gets it.

Oden said he wants to play next season – and he had a workout planned with the Clippers – but it’s hard to see him getting any attention at this point.

For one – and this matters a lot – Oden is not that good anymore. He’s a third center at best. Nobody is going to take a chance on a player with his troubles without getting more upside.

Secondly, at a time when Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy are making national headlines for off-field violence, the public’s tolerance for domestic abuse by athletes is at an all-time low. The NBA has – undeservedly – avoided the controversy currently plaguing the NFL. Seriously, read this. The NBA has not earned the high road. But perception favors the NBA, and the league surely wants to keep it that way.

Of course, these concerns should be secondary. The victim’s welfare should be of the utmost importance, and hopefully Oden gets the help he needs.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject:

The Commish could give him a lifetime ban, but I don't think anyone would notice.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject:

What is interesting is that some of he posts here that are making a case for hitting a women for such things as having your car keyed, that is totally wrong, she should be held accountable in a court of law.

If a women is threatening a man with a weapon of some kind that is over the top and appropriate action is warranted. That includes removing yourself from the situation first and foremost, then if the threat requires protecting yourself because the weapon being used threatens your immediate safety then and only then should physical force be used.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject:

I'm of the school you don't hit women. If you have to hit them you shouldn't be with them.

I hold on for dear life until they calm down. When the do, get fifty feet from the table.

If a weapon is involved the type has to be considered. A knife, take the smart way out, leave, a gun, pray while leaving.

You can't control a woman physically, you have a better chance if you take the mental approach.

I googled the address, it's a nice neighborhood.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The Commish could give him a lifetime ban, but I don't think anyone would notice.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: