Nick Young Training like Kobe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Link http://lakeshowlife.com/2014/08/07/nick-young-training-like-kobe/

The article lacks any substance to back up the title.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
Where's Wes and X at? Both needs to get up on this too. Especially Wes.

I read here recently that Nick & Wesley were working out w/kobe. Real good to know because Wesley has the athletic part in abundance, but a different level of training, and being around one of the most mentally strongest players to ever play the game, and we might have something.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

This will help Nick Young individually. I recall a number of years ago Caron Butler working out with Kobe and his game really improved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Triple Double
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject:

A big reason I think Swag stuck with the team was his heart shown during last year's terrible season. Here's to him showing that heart in the offseason.

They've got him for at least three years. I hope the Lakers use some of their profits to redouble their player development efforts.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Nick is what he is...I think he is capable of being an elite scorer, but it's the other parts of his game that are undeveloped.

i think he has the talent to be an all star , but, i dont think he has the conditioning. he looks so heavy-legged out there on defense, while chasing his man around, he's always lagging behind them. i think he needs more muscle stamina in his legs. if he was also a good defensive player, damn, he'd be a piece.
(i also think that tired legs is a reason he doesnt attack the rim as much as he should)

Defense is all about desire, heart, hustle and will power. It's as much mental as it is physical.

Swaggy P has never been challenged by his coaches or peers to play defense.

He has the potential but not the desire nor the will to defend consistently.

Hopefully Coach Scott can change that mindset with Swaggy and every member of the team.

of course! i think defense is all effort. but if you cant give the effort physically, it doesnt matter if you do or don't want to give the effort mentally.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
I read here recently that Nick & Wesley were working out w/kobe. Real good to know because Wesley has the athletic part in abundance, but a different level of training, and being around one of the most mentally strongest players to ever play the game, and we might have something.
The Black Mamba being on the court could have its greatest impact in the following areas

* Will NOT allowed Johnson not disappear for minutes at a time

* Will take the pressure OFF Wes/X/Swaggy to produce and/or to learn how to produce during crunch time.

* Will ALLOW others to flow easy at critical times

Swaggy P's Improvements
All great and professional players are always improving their game.

These things could happen to young, talented and players with great length
* Swaggy P - play improved D
* Johnson - acquired improved mental toughness (ala Leonard)
* JLin - display his new "tear-drop" shot (ala Tony Parker/Steve Nash)
* X - staying healthy
* Davis - turn into a poor man Ibaka
* Hill - staying healthy
* Boozer - provide needed muscle on the boards
* RKelly - consistent outside shot
* Sacre - continued growth
* Nash - 15 MPG
* Randle - play with energy and force
* Clarkson - learn from Lillard
* Kobe - STAY HEALTHY (don't play 40+MPG!)
* BScott - have the team play Team D consistently and restore Laker Pride

Lakers' advantage is that they have one of the few NBA players that WILL produce during crunch time consistently. Outside of Lebron (and maybe a few others like Durant), who can hit critical shots?

Super teams have shown that this is not close to being a guarantee of going deep into the playoffs
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Nick is what he is...I think he is capable of being an elite scorer, but it's the other parts of his game that are undeveloped.

i think he has the talent to be an all star , but, i dont think he has the conditioning. he looks so heavy-legged out there on defense, while chasing his man around, he's always lagging behind them. i think he needs more muscle stamina in his legs. if he was also a good defensive player, damn, he'd be a piece.
(i also think that tired legs is a reason he doesnt attack the rim as much as he should)

Defense is all about desire, heart, hustle and will power. It's as much mental as it is physical.

Hopefully Coach Scott can change that mindset with Swaggy and every member of the team.

Defense is also about being smart. For instance, If Sasha were smarter, he'd be a great defender and might still be in the league. He had all the hustle and heart, but he made too many dumb mistakes/fouls.

I agree on Nick, he can up his D a bit without sacrificing his offensive game. Needs more conditioning.
MacedonianFan
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject:

The real question is, is Kobe training like Kobe?
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
pio2u wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

Defense is also about being smart. For instance, If Sasha were smarter, he'd be a great defender and might still be in the league. He had all the hustle and heart, but he made too many dumb mistakes/fouls.

I agree on Nick, he can up his D a bit without sacrificing his offensive game. Needs more conditioning.

If that's the case, there isn't great potential for Swaggy to grow. I think he is a similar player to what he was with the Wiz. He scores and that's it. He's also one of the dumbest players in the league. He doesn't possess the natural instincts to play defense, nor does he have the brain to learn it. His improvement would come from hustle, not smarts.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
pio2u wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

If that's the case, there isn't great potential for Swaggy to grow. I think he is a similar player to what he was with the Wiz. He scores and that's it. He's also one of the dumbest players in the league. He doesn't possess the natural instincts to play defense, nor does he have the brain to learn it. His improvement would come from hustle, not smarts.

Nonsense if he knows what moves to anticipate from the defense to free himself how is he clueless about defense or dumb at all?
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
pio2u wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

Nonsense if he knows what moves to anticipate from the defense to free himself how is he clueless about defense or dumb at all?

yeah, for Nick its a question of desire to put in the work. Brain power is not an issue. I don't know what it was with Sasha, the guy just did not play smart for whatever reason. Just brain lapses right and left. At least he had a shot, for a little while.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
pio2u wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

yeah, for Nick its a question of desire to put in the work. Brain power is not an issue. I don't know what it was with Sasha, the guy just did not play smart for whatever reason. Just brain lapses right and left. At least he had a shot, for a little while.

Sasha was over paid lol
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:

You mean where's X because Wes was in the gym with Nick and Kobe.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
It's a shame he's already 29

Nash was 30 when he broke into superstar status.

I don't see why Nick can't break out, so to speak. He's always had the potential to be an all-star caliber scorer, just hasn't had the proper direction.

Improved Swaggy + healthy Kobe + Lin/Randle/Boozer is respectable, maybe enough to edge out the Rockets.

Nick is what he is, a low IQ shot chucker that doesn't have the ability to get him self good shots. When left open he can get hot and knock them down, but when he starts dribbling the ball for 20 seconds and chucking up a step back fadeaway, it isn't pretty to watch.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I don't see why Nick can't break out, so to speak. He's always had the potential to be an all-star caliber scorer, just hasn't had the proper direction.

Improved Swaggy + healthy Kobe + Lin/Randle/Boozer is respectable, maybe enough to edge out the Rockets.

Nick is what he is, a low IQ shot chucker that doesn't have the ability to get him self good shots. When left open he can get hot and knock them down, but when he starts dribbling the ball for 20 seconds and chucking up a step back fadeaway, it isn't pretty to watch.

I guess you missed last season.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

ya, what he described was the old Nick Young, so that means he didn't watch much of the Lakers last year.

Swaggy P doesn't chuck up as many bad shots as he used, he is more patience and smart. Also make a pass here or there, and actually played a bit of defense last year.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
This will help Nick Young individually. I recall a number of years ago Caron Butler working out with Kobe and his game really improved.

Did wonders for Ariza too.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
Car54 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

ya, what he described was the old Nick Young, so that means he didn't watch much of the Lakers last year.

Swaggy P doesn't chuck up as many bad shots as he used, he is more patience and smart. Also make a pass here or there, and actually played a bit of defense last year.
Swaggy is no dummy. He is maturing and working out with Kobe can only speed up the process.
Plus anybody cool & fortunate enough to date Iggy Azalea has to be brilliant.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Yep, forgot about Trevor working out with Kobe. Pretty much any athletic wing with his head on straight working out with KB improves. I'm just not sure Young always has his head on straight
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
55 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Yep, forgot about Trevor working out with Kobe. Pretty much any athletic wing with his head on straight working out with KB improves. I'm just not sure Young always has his head on straight

Working with Kobe will either straighten his head out or Kobe will chop it off.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Jackobe wrote:
Car54 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

http://youtu.be/nb61bACZO0o I guess you missed last season.

Swaggy is no dummy. He is maturing and working out with Kobe can only speed up the process.
Plus anybody cool & fortunate enough to date Iggy Azalea has to be brilliant.
Hopefully hanging out with Iggy will not turn out like the Kemp/Rihanna relationship
Iggy Azalea - Pu$$y Official Music Video:

All kidding aside, Swaggy P appears dedicated to improving his game.

The Black Mamba will drive them HARD - like what any HOF (like MJ) would do
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject:

MacedonianFan wrote:
The real question is, is Kobe training like Kobe?

I WON'T EVEN DIGNIFY THAT QUESTION WITH AN ANSWER.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
Car54 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

i get league pass every year and never miss a single game. Nick Young shot a whopping 43% while never even sniffing a double team, he takes terrible shots and misses a lot of them, all while burning up the shot clock. Thanks for the video proving my point more, 10 seconds into the video i see Nick Young taking one of those terrible step back jumpers, everybody knows he CAN get hot and make them, but far to often that is brick city.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject:

Other than his scoring, Nick is the same player he has always been. He still can't pass, rebound, or defend. Just because he's on the home team now, you're seeing him for more than what he actually is. It's the parent with the ugly baby syndrome. He's a hell of a scorer, a great entertainer, and a good locker room guy, but the rest of his game is below average.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: