Michael Brown Shooting By Police Sparks Vigil, Protest, Looting And Calls For Federal Probe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
NickF wrote:
The thing is they have to start voting, they are not being represented (Mayor and city council mostly white in community of 2/3 Black) in their community, no one is going to give it to you. Instead of trashing the place, organize yourselves.

QFT

Hopefully something, don't misunderstand this, good may come from the death of Michael Brown. It may wake up the Ferguson minority population.

Groups may form to get voters registered and ready to go to the polls. Ferguson's 2/3 majority minority is positioned to take control of their city. If they don't it's on them. .

White people are the minority in Ferguson/Florrisant but they wield all the power. They recently removed a very successful school superintendent over political issues.

Just to keep things in historical context, the demographic switch in ferguson completely flip flopped in a relatively short period between 1990-2010. It used to be about 3/4 white, 1/4 black, now its effectively the opposite. So what you have is a relatively young black community in ferguson, as such i wouldnt expect them to all of a sudden rule their local community politics. They need to be engaged and win some elections. Which shouldnt be a problem. More representative government doesnt happen over night.

And I would add that it isn't an area of squalor, it is a respectable middle classs neighborhood. It is subject to a lot of today's problems, mainly drugs. At the middle school there are more grandparents raising kids than parents. But it isn't the type of area where you would be afraid to walk the streets after dark.

On to the military response to the potential grand jury decision, sad that after all that has happened and all the discourse over the past several months, the PD still doesn't get it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:

You said groups. I said immigrants. Each experience is different. Some have it easier. Some riskier.

Chinese, Vietnamese, Cubans, Mexicans etc, some of those had life risking trip to get here. Can't speak the language. Not a penny to their name. No identity. Alien culture. They literally have to start from scratch with nothing. I'm talking about modern times not over a hundred years ago.

But all had a dream of a better life here to make the risk all worth while.

And some Asians were (and still are) brought here as slaves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Meet The Teach For America Official Charged With Bringing Change To Ferguson And Beyond

LINK

I hope the people of Ferguson will show restraint and give those attempting to make changes a chance. It's deterioration didn't happen overnight, neither will it's healing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Rev. Al Sharpton: Activists Are Ready For Decision In Ferguson

LINK

Quote:
He added: "We are prepared to continue to mobilize. We are calling for everyone to act in a strategic, disciplined, non-violent way, but do not allow either decision to feel like the case is over."

My hope is the people stay calm with the decisions ruling one way or the other.

I'm not a fan of Al. He does good in many instances, stumbles in others. just as anyone in his position does.

I hope his presences will induce calm.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Fallout wrote:

You said groups. I said immigrants. Each experience is different. Some have it easier. Some riskier.

Chinese, Vietnamese, Cubans, Mexicans etc, some of those had life risking trip to get here. Can't speak the language. Not a penny to their name. No identity. Alien culture. They literally have to start from scratch with nothing. I'm talking about modern times not over a hundred years ago.

But all had a dream of a better life here to make the risk all worth while.

And some Asians were (and still are) brought here as slaves.

Yes they are. I'm not that versed but it's my understanding they're brought here and enslaved by other Asians.

But we digress

shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Would it behoove Mr Wilson to put out a letter in the paper stating his side of the story with apologies to residents and family?

If I knew I was 100% innocent I would.

I don't think it would do any good, lines have been drawn in the sand.

If Wilson's not indicted, there'll be problems. If he's indicted and found not guilty, there'll be problems.

What disturbs me is if Wilson's indicted and found guilty his supporters will go home angry but peacefully.

As I said, I don't see this ending well.

Out for blood is not going to help anyone.

Something very interesting in this case is how badly the police and media managed their words in the beginning.. IF I was chief.. I would have been certain the public knew that Michael Brown had just robbed a store owner and that that could have led to an altercation with the police. Not trying to paint him as worthy of death by cop but also not letting the story be so extremely one sided
White Cop shoots unarmed black child known as gentle giant who never touched him and had his hands high in the air

I hope Truth prevails

You can blame the media and race baiters for this. Law enforcement is under no obligation to release ANYTHING during an investigation. Just like with the TM case, the media pumped up a narrative they had no clue about long before the facts came to light, and this is what you end up with.

Don't be so hard on yourself son.

Excuse me? So im a race baiter now?

slan·der
ˈslandər/Submit
nounLAW
the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.
"he is suing the TV network for slander"
a false and malicious spoken statement.
plural noun: slanders
"I've had just about all I can stomach of your slanders"
synonyms: defamation (of character), character assassination, calumny, libel; More
verb
verb: slander; 3rd person present: slanders; past tense: slandered; past participle: slandered; gerund or present participle: slandering
make false and damaging statements about (someone).
"they were accused of slandering the head of state"
synonyms: defame (someone's character), blacken someone's name, tell lies about, speak ill/evil of, sully someone's reputation, libel, smear, cast aspersions on, spread scandal about, besmirch, tarnish, taint.

Id say enjoy your suspension, but we all know that wont happen. The "passive-aggressive personal attack-fu" is strong in this one.

BRAH
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Well, this thread sounds pretty much locked at this point.

Just for the record, does it really matter who got screwed more through out American history?

Or should we be more focused on the fact that people of all types are still being screwed in the present?

I may be crazy, but I'm thinking the later may be more pertinent to progress.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject:

DMR Has a point. Let's stay on point.

It's coming close to GJ decision time. I hope we can discuss Ferguson and it's impact on society after it's rendered.

I'm thinking the people of the city will, with their reaction to the decision, have a chance to really do some good things for Ferguson and other cities with similar problems. Or they can futher harm relations with law enforcement.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Well, this thread sounds pretty much locked at this point.

Just for the record, does it really matter who got screwed more through out American history?

Or should we be more focused on the fact that people of all types are still being screwed in the present?

I may be crazy, but I'm thinking the later may be more pertinent to progress.

I agree, this got side tracked. Not sure how it got to history, and some misinterpreting and just make assumptions.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

It's coming close to GJ decision time. I hope we can discuss Ferguson and it's impact on society after it's rendered.

I'm thinking the people of the city will, with their reaction to the decision, have a chance to really do some good things for Ferguson and other cities with similar problems. Or they can harm relations with law enforcement.

Law enforcement has already harmed relations by turning themselved into a military. Usually if you go looking for a fight you will find one. Building up all the weaponary only shows that they have learned nothing from this whole situation. Dumb and dumber.

Not to go off on a tanget, but on the news yesterday there was a lot of coverage of the Board of Reagents deciding to raise tuition. In many cases reagents were trying to sneak in the building and it caused some violent outbursts. A few reagents took a different approach and addressed the students and discussed their reasoning and listened to the student's opinions. Those exchanges were peaceful. Ferguson PD is the reagents sneaking in and causing violent outbursts. Instead of addressing the community and trying to reach some sort of peaceful understanding.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm thinking the people of the city will, with their reaction to the decision, have a chance to really do some good things for Ferguson and other cities with similar problems. Or they can harm relations with law enforcement.

Law enforcement has already harmed relations by turning themselved into a military. Usually if you go looking for a fight you will find one. Building up all the weaponary only shows that they have learned nothing from this whole situation. Dumb and dumber.

Not to go off on a tanget, but on the news yesterday there was a lot of coverage of the Board of Reagents deciding to raise tuition. In many cases reagents were trying to sneak in the building and it caused some violent outbursts. A few reagents took a different approach and addressed the students and discussed their reasoning and listened to the student's opinions. Those exchanges were peaceful. Ferguson PD is the reagents sneaking in and causing violent outbursts. Instead of addressing the community and trying to reach some sort of peaceful understanding.

I don't think Nixon is going to take the same approach he did when the shooting first happened. So far he seems to be taking a proactive approach.

I'm hopeful he won't allow the police to dress in military garb. He has the NG on standby in case things get out of hand.

Sharpton's not my first choice of voice but maybe his presence will have a calming affect. There have been groups formed to keep the peace.

My concern is with the forces outside Ferguson who don't really care if Wilson's guilty or not, their objective is to loot and burn regardless. They must be ferreted out.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I am sure there will be enough outsiders intent on just causing trouble to create havoc.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Michael Brown Sr. To Protesters: 'Hurting Others Is Not The Answer'

LINK

I've not had angst about a ongoing event as I'm having with Ferguson since the finale of Boardwalk Empire.

On a serious note. There's so much behind the scenes preparation going on, being put in place I'm very, very, hopeful they will be enough to allow the happening have a positive ending.

Allow the GJ decision to be the law. Allow the DOJ investigation to complete. As much as those who've made up their minds want to see Wilson incarcerated if it doesn't happen take the Gandhi, MLK Jr. route. It's longer, more arduous, but it's also more concrete and built on a foundation that can be a platform for more change, permanent change.

I meditate for a peaceful outcome.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/19/rbg-black-rebels-bounty-darren-wilson-_n_6184710.html

'Urban Militia' Group RbG Black Rebels Offers Bounty For Location Of Officer Darren Wilson
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/19/rbg-black-rebels-bounty-darren-wilson-_n_6184710.html

'Urban Militia' Group RbG Black Rebels Offers Bounty For Location Of Officer Darren Wilson

Its cool, they said no violence, they just wanna ask a few questions.

I believe em......
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Cnn reporting wilson in talks to resign. Not sure what talks are needed...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

Anonymous Release New Video Warning Ferguson Police And KKK: ‘We Are The Law Now'

LINK

Listen to the voice in the video. Ethnics have distinctive verbal enunciations. I may be wrong so I'll ask the forum. Does this sound like a Black man? Whoever this is, he sounds European to me.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Ferguson Grand Jury Still Meeting, Says Spokesman For County Prosecutor

LINK

Quote:
Calls for peace and restraint emanated from several quarters — business owners, civil rights leaders and outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder. The most prominent appeals came from Brown's father, Michael Brown Sr.

"Hurting others or destroying property is not the answer," Brown said in the video released by the group STL Forward. "No matter what the grand jury decides, I don't want my son's death to be in vain. I want it to lead to incredible change, positive change, change that makes the St. Louis region better for everyone."

Quote:
"I know from firsthand experience that demonstrations like these have the potential to spark a sustained and positive national dialogue, to provide momentum to a necessary conversation and to bring about critical reform," Holder said in the video.

"But history has also shown us that the most successful and enduring movements for change are those that adhere to nonaggression and nonviolence," he added.

With the bold I agree.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Ferguson Grand Jury Still Meeting, Says Spokesman For County Prosecutor

LINK

Quote:
Calls for peace and restraint emanated from several quarters — business owners, civil rights leaders and outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder. The most prominent appeals came from Brown's father, Michael Brown Sr.

"Hurting others or destroying property is not the answer," Brown said in the video released by the group STL Forward. "No matter what the grand jury decides, I don't want my son's death to be in vain. I want it to lead to incredible change, positive change, change that makes the St. Louis region better for everyone."

Quote:
"I know from firsthand experience that demonstrations like these have the potential to spark a sustained and positive national dialogue, to provide momentum to a necessary conversation and to bring about critical reform," Holder said in the video.

"But history has also shown us that the most successful and enduring movements for change are those that adhere to nonaggression and nonviolence," he added.

With the bold I agree.

Comment below pertains to the bold

After 9/11we attacked Iraq and showed it LIVE ON TV. Shock and Awe...
It didn't click immediately how absolutely disgusting and horrifying those actions were and how INTENTIONAL it was... To desensitize and program our citizenry to accept our belligerence and violence and the superiority of it..
^^tangent yes..but when our rulers/leaders show us that murdering innocent people is how we achieve goals then how do they expect citizens to behave?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject:

Michael Brown's family pleads for peace in advance of Ferguson grand jury decision

LINK

Quote:
Michael Brown's family is pleading with protestors to remain peaceful regardless of which decision the grand jury makes.

A decision is expected at any moment from the grand jury deciding if Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson should be prosecuted for fatally shooting the unarmed black teen.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

After 9/11we attacked Iraq and showed it LIVE ON TV. Shock and Awe...
It didn't click immediately how absolutely disgusting and horrifying those actions were and how INTENTIONAL it was... To desensitize and program our citizenry to accept our belligerence and violence and the superiority of it..
^^tangent yes..but when our rulers/leaders show us that murdering innocent people is how we achieve goals then how do they expect citizens to behave?

I'm gonna tangent the sh out of this, but I'm pissed with all you people who can sleep, so here goes.

It's also reaffirming when you hear how disenchanted the American public (including myself) are today after the Iraq prong of that war drug on compared to how jingoistic we were post-9/11 and how lusty we were for Middle Eastern blood without discrimination. That goes for our news media and politicians as well -- an understatement. Israel took out a Syrian nuke factory before it went online while they apprised the WH of the situation and got their encouragement. Covert ops that get leaked are the best indication of what nations really consider an immediate threat. I think the US and Dubya wanted to preemptively take out Saddam's regime based on what they might've done in the future, who they might've funded, who they might've harbored, what other Arab belligerents they might've colluded with, the immediate threat that they posed to Israel, and on Saddam's own desire to start a nuclear program. Iran's program mysteriously being halted in its tracks by that stuxnet virus was another indication (the only question is whether it was just the US or a joint project). Problem is that W and the government can't just say, "Hey, we think we need to preemptively strike Iraq because Saddam can't be boxed up like Qaddafi." They needed a cover story, just like they did for Vietnam (Gulf of Tonkin).

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:03 am; edited 2 times in total
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Anonymous Release New Video Warning Ferguson Police And KKK: ‘We Are The Law Now'

LINK

Listen to the voice in the video. Ethnics have distinctive verbal enunciations. I may be wrong so I'll ask the forum. Does this sound like a Black man? Whoever this is, he sounds European to me.

lmaoooooooooo jodeke you cadaverous old (bleep), that's a computerized voice.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Haha. You guys must be good pals in PMs.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Is it, well I'll be damned.

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:

So, what's the deal? Is the jury still deliberating?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 31 of 57
Jump to: