Greg Monroe is gone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

Who?

!...
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
24 wrote:
That makes him unrestricted next year. Told you guys someone would be the first to take the QO and gain their freedom early.

Was Monroe offered the max by the Pistons?

Quote:
he will accept the qualifying offer, play for Detroit in 2014-15 and become an unrestricted free agent next summer,

Qualifying offer

Q/O(link)

I know he took a qualifying offer, but 24 implied he was the first rookie to pass up a max extension to take the QO just so he could leave.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:

He'd be a good signing for a team who didn't already have Julius Randle and if the money were in the 10-12 M range. Considering we have Randle, I don't get why one would want Monroe. He's best at PF, and playing some backup C. Randle is also likely a PF - full time. What you want to do with Randle is pair him with a guy that can anchor and play inside - do the bruiser work. Monroe isn't that guy.

Now say LA has moved Randle within a year for some perimeter help, and Monroe's an UFA, I would sign him. For now? Not stressed at all that the Lakers missed out on him. Stephenson and Bledsoe were the type of fish we needed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
He'd be a good signing for a team who didn't already have Julius Randle and if the money were in the 10-12 M range. Considering we have Randle, I don't get why one would want Monroe. He's best at PF, and playing some backup C. Randle is also likely a PF - full time. What you want to do with Randle is pair him with a guy that can anchor and play inside - do the bruiser work. Monroe isn't that guy.

Now say LA has moved Randle within a year for some perimeter help, and Monroe's an UFA, I would sign him. For now? Not stressed at all that the Lakers missed out on him. Stephenson and Bledsoe were the type of fish we needed.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

maybe the question is whether Monroe is a definitive upgrade on Jordan Hill

Monroe (who might be a Joakim Noah-like player) does not seem to be comfortable at PF considering his past season success. Considering how effective Marc Gasol/Zach Randolph were/are with the Grizzs . . . . .

Would a team of Monroe/Randle/Bledsoe/Kobe/Johnson with Hill/Young/X/Lin on the bench be a serious contender after this season?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

On top of that, as mentioned by others, he did this to become a UFA earlier.

Seriously, people really need to stop with the thinking that just because player Y signed for X amount of $ that it meant the Lakers could have just gone out and gotten him.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

If he is actually a target for LA nothing could be better. The Pistons were never going to fork him over for Nash and a pick while they still had the rFA leverage. Monroe accepting the risk of a one year deal has now flipped the leverage totally around.

Monroe now has a no trade clause and a clock. He will have a say as to where he goes between now and the deadline, especially with several destinations posessing significant cap room (otherwise the loss of his bird rights would cut his leverage).

This isn't a prediction by any stretch, but if he wants LA and it's mutual, the road is clear for that to happen, likely before the deadline (when Nash and a pick look better than nothing).
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

King beef wrote:
A team with Bledsoe Monroe Stephensen is attractive. The junk we roll out on the spirit of maintaining cap space isn't.

Realistically we could not afford this short of NBA2k force trade...

In addition the price required to get those, would make it impossible in future to add more star quality. The best bet is to allow some of these albatross contracts to come off the books. Yeah it sucks as a lakers fan, but I have faith in the end the team will figure it out.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:

irielight wrote:
King beef wrote:
The OP is right. Greg Monroe and Eric Bledsoe are something. If our strategy is going to be to keep temporary contracts in order to sign big names (which is a stupid strategy), then passing on Monroe and Bledsoe was the right move. If you want to actually get that big name, the roster must actually have something, not just cap space.

If this past year is indicative of anything, there is a decent chance we ignore good players and throw all of our attention toward max players who would never come to a roster so bare or to an organization who is too lazy to build a team. Randle might be something, but I don't think that's enough.

All the posters slamming Monroe need to get real. If Monroe were a laker he might be our most valuable asset. In other words, beggars can't be choosers. The lakers have yet to show they can build a team or future and therefore have yet to sign a top tier free agent. I don't see this pattern changing.

A team with Bledsoe Monroe Stephensen is attractive. The junk we roll out on the spirit of maintaining cap space isn't.

Except the Lakers would never have been able to afford all 3 of these guys. Bledsoe and Monroe would have required max or near max deals to pry them away from their respective teams.

It's driving me crazy every time I hear on the radio or read here and elsewhere that the Lakers are just preserving cap space and won't go all in on anybody. I don't believe that to be true. I think they're just waiting for the right guy(s) to go in on. This is smart. The biggest mistake you can make in a salary capped league is to go in on somebody you don't believe in just because you feel you have to do something.

Have you considered the possibility that we will have cap space and not get the "right guy".

In fact, who is the "right guy". It has to be the "right guy" that wants to come to the Lakers. That is not easy.

There is no guarantee with that strategy because it has failed several times already with DH12, Carmelo, and LeBron.

So far that strategy failed two years in a row.

It is going to be three next year.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
24 wrote:
That makes him unrestricted next year. Told you guys someone would be the first to take the QO and gain their freedom early.

Was Monroe offered the max by the Pistons?

Quote:
he will accept the qualifying offer, play for Detroit in 2014-15 and become an unrestricted free agent next summer,

Qualifying offer

Q/O(link)

I know he took a qualifying offer, but 24 implied he was the first rookie to pass up a max extension to take the QO just so he could leave.

You can offer a max qualifying offer rather than a 1 year deal (for example that's what NO will be handing Brow if he doesn't sign an extension), so it's highly unlikely Detroit offered that since we'd know if one was filed with the league.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
irielight wrote:
King beef wrote:
The OP is right. Greg Monroe and Eric Bledsoe are something. If our strategy is going to be to keep temporary contracts in order to sign big names (which is a stupid strategy), then passing on Monroe and Bledsoe was the right move. If you want to actually get that big name, the roster must actually have something, not just cap space.

If this past year is indicative of anything, there is a decent chance we ignore good players and throw all of our attention toward max players who would never come to a roster so bare or to an organization who is too lazy to build a team. Randle might be something, but I don't think that's enough.

All the posters slamming Monroe need to get real. If Monroe were a laker he might be our most valuable asset. In other words, beggars can't be choosers. The lakers have yet to show they can build a team or future and therefore have yet to sign a top tier free agent. I don't see this pattern changing.

Except the Lakers would never have been able to afford all 3 of these guys. Bledsoe and Monroe would have required max or near max deals to pry them away from their respective teams.

It's driving me crazy every time I hear on the radio or read here and elsewhere that the Lakers are just preserving cap space and won't go all in on anybody. I don't believe that to be true. I think they're just waiting for the right guy(s) to go in on. This is smart. The biggest mistake you can make in a salary capped league is to go in on somebody you don't believe in just because you feel you have to do something.

Have you considered the possibility that we will have cap space and not get the "right guy".

In fact, who is the "right guy". It has to be the "right guy" that wants to come to the Lakers. That is not easy.

There is no guarantee with that strategy because it has failed several times already with DH12, Carmelo, and LeBron.

So far that strategy failed two years in a row.

It is going to be three next year.

Uncertainty is better than guaranteed mediocrity, perhaps not for the fans, but for a front office that only counts rings.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Adjust the title - you make it sound like he died.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Would a team of Monroe/Randle/Bledsoe/Kobe/Johnson with Hill/Young/X/Lin on the bench be a serious contender after this season?

Going with the idea that you meant Monroe and Bledsoe would be signed next Summer. Just guesstimates of a salary of about $15 million each for the 2015 - 2016 season.

If the Salary Cap for the 2015 - 2016 season is going to be about $68 million, then how are the salaries for your suggested roster going to fit?

$15 million -- Monroe
$3.1 million -- Randle
$15 million -- Bledose
$25 million -- Kobe
$9 million -- Hill

That is without Lin, Nick and a few more roster spots at the minimum.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: