Who starts at PG on Day 1?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who starts at PG on Day 1?
Jeremy Lin
68%
 68%  [ 139 ]
Steve Nash
31%
 31%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 204

Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject:

The is a reason why Farmar left to go Clipper nation?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure about wanting to have Nash and Kobe defending all the best backcourts in the NBA while we don't really have an anchor. That's not a good plan.

While Lin is far from a great defender at least he can be part of a good team D strategy assuming Byron will insert some much needed D schemes. Nash literally can't move from point A to B at any kind of pace.

I'd start Lin and use Nash as the backup. Nash is the better talent on O, but we need to focus on team D if we have any shot in hell of being a 45 win team. Additionally if Nash is injured again or unable to play, it hurts your team less if he's your 15 mpg backup than the core starter.

Final reason for Lin. Selfishly I'm hoping Lin puts up 14/6 as a starter and some playoff team grabs him by deadline for a future #1 pick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I'm not sure about wanting to have Nash and Kobe defending all the best backcourts in the NBA while we don't really have an anchor. That's not a good plan.

While Lin is far from a great defender at least he can be part of a good team D strategy assuming Byron will insert some much needed D schemes. Nash literally can't move from point A to B at any kind of pace.

I'd start Lin and use Nash as the backup. Nash is the better talent on O, but we need to focus on team D if we have any shot in hell of being a 45 win team. Additionally if Nash is injured again or unable to play, it hurts your team less if he's your 15 mpg backup than the core starter.

Final reason for Lin. Selfishly I'm hoping Lin puts up 14/6 as a starter and some playoff team grabs him by deadline for a future #1 pick.

I agree with you all the way up to the last sentence. If he pans out, I'd think about keeping for on and off the court reasons. I agree that Nash/Kobe is a terrible defensive pairing. Even if Wes is able to play tremendous D, that's still not enough.

However, that being said, I tend to think Byron will favor the vets and allow Nash and Boozer to have starting spots.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I am curious... if Lin is putting up 14 /6 and playing good defense why not keep him to establish some roster stability?

Do not see the logic of continuing to give away assets, especially for a pick in the 20's at best?

His contract should be much more realistic next year and he would be a solid starter or back-up if the Lakers somehow bring in an upgraded free agent PG.

To have any hope of signing that marquee free agent we all dream about there needs to be an attractive and established core. Not a blank slate and empty promises.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

Nash
Kobe
Wesley
Boozer
Davis

This should be the starting lineup. Let the older guys start the game and run at thier own pace with Wes and davis out there to shore up the defense. Let's face it these guys need to play at a slower pace in order to make it through a full season. Wes and davis are arguably our best defensive players so why not start them because they may also be the most limited offensively. This allows Kobe to get his shots up without out taking away any from other guys. Wes and davis can score off cuts, offensive rebounds, kick outs and fast breaks.

This gives Lin the chance to come off the bench as a change of pace guard with the young guns.

Lin
Henry
Young
Randle
Hill

Let em get up and down the court and wear teams out. Let's face it we would have the best bench in the nba easily. Between Lin, young, and hill we already have 3 starting caliber guys playing against the other teams bench. X and randle are the wild cards
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:

Lin. He'll be playing a lot this year. I would say something like 35-37 minutes a game. Nash's health can't be trusted; also, he also can't build no cohesion with the team if he's in and out of the lineup. Start Lin Next to a hopefully healthy Mamba and you have a decent backcourt.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Lin. He'll be playing a lot this year. I would say something like 35-37 minutes a game. Nash's health can't be trusted; also, he also can't build no cohesion with the team if he's in and out of the lineup. Start Lin Next to a hopefully healthy Mamba and you have a decent backcourt.

Lin can still get 30-40 mpg coming off the bench. I don't think it's a good idea to bring in a guy Nash age off the bench cold.
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

Lin can still get 30-40 mpg coming off the bench. I don't think it's a good idea to bring in a guy Nash age off the bench cold.

Kobe and Lin will be a better backcourt in defense, that is what Scott focuses on now.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:

tirebiter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
tirebiter wrote:
Mark Medina @MarkG_Medina · 2h

Besides Kobe, Scott said he doesn't know who else will start. He says they "have to earn the right to start."

well, there you have it. and considering what nash has done as a player, i wouldn't want it any other way. it'd be extremely disrespectful to him to just give away his starting spot without giving him a chance to keep it.

Who cares about respect?

Do what's best for the team.

as a team, you SHOULD care about respecting the players. we're the lakers.

and as a sign of respect, you let them battle it out. i'm not saying you start Nash out of respect. appeasing him wouldn't be respecting him at all. the player most deserving to start should start. period. ultimately that's what best for the team.

So we should start all of our old players in a sign of respect, right? That will guarantee a lottery pick at the end of the year which will go to Pheonix. Just great.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
tirebiter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
tirebiter wrote:

Besides Kobe, Scott said he doesn't know who else will start. He says they "have to earn the right to start."

well, there you have it. and considering what nash has done as a player, i wouldn't want it any other way. it'd be extremely disrespectful to him to just give away his starting spot without giving him a chance to keep it.

Who cares about respect?

and as a sign of respect, you let them battle it out. i'm not saying you start Nash out of respect. appeasing him wouldn't be respecting him at all. the player most deserving to start should start. period. ultimately that's what best for the team.

So we should start all of our old players in a sign of respect, right? That will guarantee a lottery pick at the end of the year which will go to Pheonix. Just great.

We had a HOF Mitch Richmond rotting at the end of the bench. Such disrespect.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
tirebiter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
tirebiter wrote:

Who cares about respect?

read my post, dude. where in my post did I say we should START nash?? I said we should let them battle it out, instead of giving away his starting spot presuming that he's too old to play. if he indeed is too old, he won't win the job anyway. but give him a shot to keep it. he's earned at least that much.
cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

In his interview with Trudell, when Scott said this:

"Or I could also put Kobe at that spot and put Steve next to Jeremy in the backcourt. There’s some flexibility there."

I thought Lin was definitely starting with the possibility of Nash starting alongside him as well and moving Kobe to the 3.

But then Scott said all starting positions are up to grabs except Kobe's so you never know. I think Scott is leaning more towards Lin because he likes him and because Nash's health is a question, but if Nash is completely healthy come training camp and plays well I'm pretty sure Scott would give Nash the starting nod.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject:

tirebiter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
tirebiter wrote:

Who cares about respect?

Yes. Which is why I said respect is all but irrelevant. You just do what's best for the team and that's it.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject:

cgambino123 wrote:
In his interview with Trudell, when Scott said this:

"Or I could also put Kobe at that spot and put Steve next to Jeremy in the backcourt. There’s some flexibility there."

I thought Lin was definitely starting with the possibility of Nash starting alongside him as well and moving Kobe to the 3.

But then Scott said all starting positions are up to grabs except Kobe's so you never know. I think Scott is leaning more towards Lin because he likes him and because Nash's health is a question, but if Nash is completely healthy come training camp and plays well I'm pretty sure Scott would give Nash the starting nod.

agree scott infers that kobe and lin are starting in his interview.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject:

Nash has severe durability issues and even when healthy is only a backup-quality PG. Lin is a much better player at this stage of his career. Lin is an easy choice to start.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject:

I am curious to see how Lin does with the starting job. Smart player, decent playmaker in the P&R, can score and not a bad defender. Reminds me of Steve Blake.

As of today, I would start Lin, Kobe, Johnson, Randle (if earned) and Hill.

I think Randle would benefit from having two playmakers in Kobe and Lin to play off of. Hill and Randle together will be active on both boards. Wes provides the defense and 3pt spacing and Hill can hit the mid range shot.

2nd unit- Nash, Henry, Young, Boozer, Davis.

Nash can control the unit by playing P&R with Boozer and Davis. Prefer keeping Nash's mpg down. Young will be the scorer and Henry will slash and Nash will get him the ball. Davis and Boozer can both hit the mid range shot. Defense suffers but it is against the second unit to help minimize the damage.

Also curious to see how Clarkson develops. Might be needed if Nash needs nights off or gets injured. Mix in Sacre and and Kelly as needed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: