Who starts at PG on Day 1?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who starts at PG on Day 1?
Jeremy Lin
68%
 68%  [ 139 ]
Steve Nash
31%
 31%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 204

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Nash for the first 6-8 minutes of each half makes sense.

That backcourt defense is going to be a major issue for Byron, even with Lin (who is obviously younger and more athletic).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Does it make more sense than Nash coming off the bench for 6-8 mins? I'm not sure it does.
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Starting Lin makes all the sense. Lakers should try developing young Lin and see if he could turn into a player for the future.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Does it make more sense than Nash coming off the bench for 6-8 mins? I'm not sure it does.

No, it is better for him to play while warmed up than after sitting.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I don't mind Nash starting. He's awesome.

But I don't really buy the "warmed up" thing. If he is still having enough issues where he needs to be warmed up, then chances are that he's not healthy enough to last the season even in limited minutes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

But I don't really buy the "warmed up" thing. If he is still having enough issues where he needs to be warmed up, then chances are that he's not healthy enough to last the season even in limited minutes.

I buy it, I am old and it makes a huge difference.
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Nash will start, he should at least be healthy for game one. Nash will get limited minutes but I don't see why he would come off the bench.

Edit: Checked the poll. lots of Lin fans. wow.

The question isn't who you want to start, it's who will likely be starting at the season opener. Byron hasn't ruled out Nash and has discussed him quite a bit, all indications show he's going to start Nash, at least until he gets hurt.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

For him? Sure. I'm just not convinced it would be better for the team to have a starter who doesn't really play with the starters that much.
Triple Double
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:

"A healthy Nash"! Haha.

Even if he's healthy in Game 1, it won't last. The question with him is not how many minutes per game he'll play, but how many games in the year he'll play. The Lakers need to see him as out for the season. That's the only way to be happy about 15 great minutes in 30 games.

From this viewpoint, Nash cannot be a starter. Also Clarkson will need to get minutes to develop.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

I buy it, I am old and it makes a huge difference.

But true!
Fans4Fanatic
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I think out of respect for Nash, he will start, Lin will play major minutes. There is a few questions regarding the PG slot that need to be answer during the season.

Who will close out games?

How many minutes will Nash play in the 4th Quarter?

Will Nash skipping games effect Lin consistency?
I Love LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Nash, if the preseason doesn't kill him.
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

IMO the PG you intend to finish your games with should be the starter as well...

PGs job is to dictate the flow of the game execute the game plan offensively from start to finish... if your PG does not start he will not get a good feel of the game and will make bad decisions at the end.

That is why I think Lin should start... unless you have no plans of keeping him by the trade deadline, then it does not matter. but if you think he will be your point guard from here on out, then he should start.

Nash is in his last legs. it does not make any sense to invest playing time on him.
ginia1110
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject:

I want Jeremy to start. But its okay for me if he starts at regular season aka that day they'll play Rox @ LAL.

There's no way in hell that Nash should start over Lin since Rox is a very athlethic, young team, not to mention it would be twice as hard for Old Nash to keep up with Harden.

But maybe Coach Byron will start Nash during preseason. Been hearing that he's an old school type of a coach.

R.Hibbert, wearing purple & gold next year = my pipe-dream... Lolz
jjww28
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He may sit on a bike to keep it warm.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject:

If the concept is that players will get a fresh start with a new coach, then let Lin and others compete for the PG spot. I don't see how Nash has "earned" it these past 2 years. The evidence has shown that due to age/injuries, he's simply not durable. If he needs to keep his body warmed up, then go hit the bike until your number is called. It's a bad reflection of a "new mentality" when a starting position is given due to age, seniority, and past glory. Now, if Nash is healthy enough and can ward off Lin, then fine. But these past 2 years have shown that limiting Nash's minutes is a must.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If the concept is that players will get a fresh start with a new coach, then let Lin and others compete for the PG spot. I don't see how Nash has "earned" it these past 2 years. The evidence has shown that due to age/injuries, he's simply not durable. If he needs to keep his body warmed up, then go hit the bike until your number is called. It's a bad reflection of a "new mentality" when a starting position is given due to age, seniority, and past glory. Now, if Nash is healthy enough and can ward off Lin, then fine. But these past 2 years have shown that limiting Nash's minutes is a must.

Well said. I will be thrilled if Nash can give 10-12mpg for 70 games. Starting him would be a fiasco IMO.

Unless by some miracle his back is healed I do not see how you rely on any more or start him. He needs to gracefully assume the role of the battered vet hanging on for one more season.

Mentor and be supportive of Lin and Clarkson and play his second unit minutes to the best of his abilities for as long as the back holds up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Well said. I will be thrilled if Nash can give 10-12mpg for 70 games. Starting him would be a fiasco IMO.

Unless by some miracle his back is healed I do not see how you rely on any more or start him. He needs to gracefully assume the role of the battered vet hanging on for one more season.

Mentor and be supportive of Lin and Clarkson and play his second unit minutes to the best of his abilities for as long as the back holds up.

Yup. I never doubted Nash's work ethic or skills, but at 40, that body is having a hard time holding up against playing athletes half his age. He is still valuable to his younger teammates and his best contribution may not be on the actual game floor.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject:

Small sample size but he shot a lot better coming off the bench last year than he did as a starter.

And the other thing, is that we've already seen that Nash+Kobe doesn't really work very well. Now, I'm not sure how Lin+Kobe is going to work either but, we're trying to build chemistry and get guys used to playing together. Develop something we can build on.

I'm just not sure how we do that with a guy who is going to retire and probably won't play more than 3-4 minutes a quarter on average.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Voices wrote:
Nash will start because he has the experience to run "offense ". This team can use a healthy Nash to get everyone on the same page. Lin is not really a pure point and right now this team needs a pure point.

So, if Nash can play 20 one game, but needs to sit out 2, is that the best way? I agree of course if Nash was healthy and able to play 70+ games, he's a great organizing PG, but I have no confidence in his health. I think it's a bit disruptive to constantly be changing the PG rotation due to Nash's health.

I was never a Nash fan, in terms of him coming to the Lakers, however under the circumstances when the Lakers acquired Nash I was OK with it.

I recently posted a link see below, that discusses Steve's chronic back issue, I was totally unaware how severe and complicated his back issue is, not was, but is. Lakers management had to know how severe Steve's back issue is, AND SHOULD OF NEVER TRADED FOR DAMAGE GOODS, ESPECIALLY GIVING 4 draft picks including 2 first round picks.

Now that the Lakers have Nash, and as I said, if Nash is HEALTHY he is the best option to start. The Sun's training staff found ways to get Nash ready to play games. The Lakers training staff either because of the combination of Steve's broken leg nerve damage and his KNOWN chronic back issue have not figured out how to get Nash ready to play games, that is a problem.

Having said all that, because this Lakers team is completely new, Nash if HEALTHY would be the best option to start games. Lin should get more min. but he does not have the best PG skills on the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1958031-steve-nash-why-back-injury-isnt-getting-better-and-what-lakers-can-do
lgnofridge
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject:

Suppose Kobe is healthy and the Lakers are shooting for a playoff spot Lin should start. Team chemistry needs time to develop.
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Agree.

lgnofridge wrote:
Suppose Kobe is healthy and the Lakers are shooting for a playoff spot Lin should start. Team chemistry needs time to develop.
Lukellipsis
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Nash will start because he's too old to come in cold off the bench...

Nash-Lin-clarkson
Kobe-Henry
Johnson-young
Boozer-randle-Kelly
Hill-Davis-sacre

I agree that Nash may be the starter due to the whole "warm-up" idea.
Sit on the bench (or lay on the floor in Nash's case) and ya get cold.
Both Lin & Nash will benefit with the ball in their hands more, so being out there with Kobe (or any other star that needs the ball) will hurt both of their effectiveness.

I agree with your starters lineup in theory, but don't think Nash will be able to do it health-wise or on a regular basis (think they need to use him like a starting pitcher, i.e, not play every game)

I know we like to simplify the players into 1st unit and 2nd unit, but there is at least 3 units if not more.
The unit between the 1st and the 2nd interests me. Its the mix of the starters and the bench.. and I think that unit has 2 parts: 1 that is the bench mixing with the starters, and the other is the starters mixing back in with the bench.

I would change Young comes in for Johnson, but not Henry coming in for Kobe, rather Young moves over to SG when Kobe goes out, and Johnson comes back in or Henry at SF (or rather Beasley comes in at SF if we pick him up and he works out)

Nash-Lin-Clarkson
Kobe-(Young)-Henry
Johnson-Young-(Johnson/Henry)
Boozer-Randle-Kelly
Hill-Davis-Sacre

or if they get Beasley:

Nash-Lin-Clarkson
Kobe-Young-Henry
Johnson-Beasley-(Henry)
Boozer-Randle-Kelly
Hill-Davis-Sacre

and on the nights Nash is on a baseball pitchers schedule...
or when he eventually gets injured... (with Beasley on the team):

Lin-Clarkson
Kobe-Young-Henry
Johnson-Beasley-(Henry)
Boozer-Randle-Kelly
Hill-Davis-Sacre
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

Nash is not good in defense, which could hurt the team.
Luke... wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Nash will start because he's too old to come in cold off the bench...

Nash-Lin-clarkson
Kobe-Henry
Johnson-young
Boozer-randle-Kelly
Hill-Davis-sacre

I agree that Nash may be the starter due to the whole "warm-up" idea.
Sit on the bench (or lay on the floor in Nash's case) and ya get cold.
Both Lin & Nash will benefit with the ball in their hands more, so being out there with Kobe (or any other star that needs the ball) will hurt both of their effectiveness.

I agree with your starters lineup in theory, but don't think Nash will be able to do it health-wise or on a regular basis (think they need to use him like a starting pitcher, i.e, not play every game)

I know we like to simplify the players into 1st unit and 2nd unit, but there is at least 3 units if not more.
The unit between the 1st and the 2nd interests me. Its the mix of the starters and the bench.. and I think that unit has 2 parts: 1 that is the bench mixing with the starters, and the other is the starters mixing back in with the bench.

I would change Young comes in for Johnson, but not Henry coming in for Kobe, rather Young moves over to SG when Kobe goes out, and Johnson comes back in or Henry at SF (or rather Beasley comes in at SF if we pick him up and he works out)

Nash-Lin-Clarkson
Kobe-(Young)-Henry
Johnson-Young-(Johnson/Henry)
Boozer-Randle-Kelly
Hill-Davis-Sacre

or if they get Beasley:

Nash-Lin-Clarkson
Kobe-Young-Henry
Johnson-Beasley-(Henry)
Boozer-Randle-Kelly
Hill-Davis-Sacre

and on the nights Nash is on a baseball pitchers schedule...
or when he eventually gets injured... (with Beasley on the team):

Lin-Clarkson
Kobe-Young-Henry
Johnson-Beasley-(Henry)
Boozer-Randle-Kelly
Hill-Davis-Sacre
PassTheBooze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

Hopefully Lin. We need more athleticism for the starting unit
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: