The Two Year Plan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: The Two Year Plan?

How does Laker brass build a Title contender in Kobe's twilight? Not waiting for a rebuild that's for sure. The reality is with a top ten center on the team we've assembled, 3yrs for a return to Title Town is not an option. Well there is only one way back to glory road, a regenerated Bynum or a some center you never think of as bad because they just make everyone else look better, ala Okafor, Mohammed, the Lopez brothers, Horford, Al Jefferson, with the amount of offensive firepower we have with our current backcourt orchestrating, and mid range sharpshooters, a defensive beast at center is all we will need to elevate us back to The Finals, if this new Euro hybrid league is gonna stick, then this is right down the lane of Byron Scott's plans for multiple titles to send Kobe into the sunset, only one problem, I don't think Kobe's done...I can't imagine that at the end of next season if we lost in the WCF or somewhere deep into the playoffs, he'd just walk away, nope I think with a little coaxing, and another top 10 player he'd add another year or two for titles six and seven, a two year plan just aint enough in my mind! MJ
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject:

The reality is, Kobe probably won't be around when we are back in contention.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

He's already 36. Twilight is here.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Two Year Plan?

LakerFan1977 wrote:
How does Laker brass build a Title contender in Kobe's twilight? Not waiting for a rebuild that's for sure. The reality is with a top ten center on the team we've assembled, 3yrs for a return to Title Town is not an option. Well there is only one way back to glory road, a regenerated Bynum or a some center you never think of as bad because they just make everyone else look better, ala Okafor, Mohammed, the Lopez brothers, Horford, Al Jefferson, with the amount of offensive

I doubt the team is really focused on building a title contender in the next few years; more likely, they simply want to put out a decent team while not mortgaging their post-Kobe future.

I suspect the Lakers will do what they usually do in rebuilding times: maintain flexibility to take advantage of opportunities, and then explore both short-term and long-term opportunities.

I doubt we'll make any significant additional moves this preseason.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:

Dwight + Nash + too much for Pau in exchange for the "future" was Kobe's last Hurrah.

We are now on the Kobe goodbye tour.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

if they wanted to build a contender with Kobe they would have offered him about $15mil per year and he would have agreed. Plus, having one year contract "rental" players is not the way to go. They want to have a clean sleight to attract top free agents but those top free agents want to win, so they are looking for a solid supporting cast. I think they Lakers are going about this all wrong IMO
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

I think part of the reason Kobe got such a big payday was so that he'd sign on for cheap after the 2 years on a year to year basis. I think the brass was fully expecting, or at least planning to strike out this year. While it may not look like it to most, they have acquired some very useful assets for trades.

So maybe the plan is to have room for 2 max free agents in 2016 (like Durant) while signing Kobe on the cheap to support them. And hopefully you have a developed Randall by then as well. You also have, in between then and now, assets you can trade for people looking to shed salary. All the while, they have a chance to test out all these unproven players to find some cheap diamonds in the rough.

Maybe I'm giving the front office too much credit. But I don't think I'm being outlandish in my thoughts.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Two Year Plan?

activeverb wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
How does Laker brass build a Title contender in Kobe's twilight? Not waiting for a rebuild that's for sure. The reality is with a top ten center on the team we've assembled, 3yrs for a return to Title Town is not an option. Well there is only one way back to glory road, a regenerated Bynum or a some center you never think of as bad because they just make everyone else look better, ala Okafor, Mohammed, the Lopez brothers, Horford, Al Jefferson, with the amount of offensive

I doubt the team is really focused on building a title contender in the next few years; more likely, they simply want to put out a decent team while not mortgaging their post-Kobe future.

I suspect the Lakers will do what they usually do in rebuilding times: maintain flexibility to take advantage of opportunities, and then explore both short-term and long-term opportunities.

I doubt we'll make any significant additional moves this preseason.

Agree, I think that Mitch approaches it as they did in the 90's by adding assets and keeping salary flexibility. That would allow deals to bring in stars, while filling role player slots in the draft.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

I have a hard time seeing a championship squad in his final 2 years. Hopefully by 2015-16 season (his last under the extension) they have a solid playoff squad. But that would depend on Randle exceeding expectations, Kobe staying healthy enough, and getting a stud in free agency in 2015. But still not enough for a championship squad.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I think Steve-O will prove me right, he may have a renaissance season, if Kobe sees that, he may get the same idea to play a Top-40 tune!
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

BigEvil wrote:
I think part of the reason Kobe got such a big payday was so that he'd sign on for cheap after the 2 years on a year to year basis. I think the brass was fully expecting, or at least planning to strike out this year. While it may not look like it to most, they have acquired some very useful assets for trades.

So maybe the plan is to have room for 2 max free agents in 2016 (like Durant) while signing Kobe on the cheap to support them. And hopefully you have a developed Randall by then as well. You also have, in between then and now, assets you can trade for people looking to shed salary. All the while, they have a chance to test out all these unproven players to find some cheap diamonds in the rough.

Maybe I'm giving the front office too much credit. But I don't think I'm being outlandish in my thoughts.

Were going to need more than julius randle and 38 year old Kobe to sell to durant. Were going to be competing with a lot of teams for him and many others will have a whole lot more to offer him than just that.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
BigEvil wrote:

Were going to need more than julius randle and 38 year old Kobe to sell to durant. Were going to be competing with a lot of teams for him and many others will have a whole lot more to offer him than just that.

First thing is big salary cut and no more alpha dog/ my team situation.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

in two years Lakers might just sign and trade Kobe to Philly for 9 mil or so. We can get back one of the 2 bigs who didn't pan out. i.e Noel who should show promise as a defender but limited on the offensive end, or Embid who could be slowed by his injury still.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm starting to think this is what Kobe's wanted all along. Get the other players who think they're elite out of my way so I can show everyone I'm still capable of leading a team by myself. He's already got the rings.

Dwight, melo, Lebron, Durant... These are all just guys that would be in Kobe's way.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1977 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I think Steve-O will prove me right, he may have a renaissance season, if Kobe sees that, he may get the same idea to play a Top-40 tune!

It is all but a foregone conclusion that Kobe will NOT have a renaissance season. At least not renaissance relative to his prime years. Relative to other achilles tear victims at the age of 36? That's likely.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It is all but a foregone conclusion that Kobe will NOT have a renaissance season. At least not renaissance relative to his prime years. Relative to other achilles tear victims at the age of 36? That's likely.

Dude just wait until you get to actually watch kobe play before telling us how he will play next season. Everyone here already knows of your low expectations for him.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Kobe will be Kobe next year, he'll get his 25 a game. How many times does this guy have to prove himself before ppl stop questioning his greatness?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Dude just wait until you get to actually watch kobe play before telling us how he will play next season. Everyone here already knows of your low expectations for him.

I don't need to watch Kobe play. 36 year olds, when healthy, don't play better than when they were 34 let alone as good as when they were 27.

Achilles tears victims, have never played as good as they were pre-injury. If they weren't able to come back and play (i.e. Isaiah Thomas), then they saw a significant decline in minutes and production (i.e. everyone else).

And what do you mean get to watch Kobe play? I've already seen him play. It wasn't good. I expect it will be better this season though.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Kobe will be Kobe next year, he'll get his 25 a game. How many times does this guy have to prove himself before ppl stop questioning his greatness?

As long as Kobe doesn't go the way of Ron Artest, he'll still be named Kobe, I agree with that.

And what do you mean prove himself? The only thing he proved last season was that he is in fact mortal.

All the evidence points to a season of decline for Kobe, not a renaissance season at all. I think if he's putting up 20-22 points per game, that would be a pretty marvelous achievement and that would be the second best season from any achilles tear sufferer in the history of the NBA.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I'd let Kobe dictate his last few seasons. If he wants a ring he probably would have a better chance elsewhere and NY would be the likely place. I doubt he would lose his LA fan base if that happened.

If he wants to stay a Laker that would be fine also. I personally would like that but if was in Kobe's shoes NY here I come.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
golaker wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I don't need to watch Kobe play. 36 year olds, when healthy, don't play better than when they were 34 let alone as good as when they were 27.

Achilles tears victims, have never played as good as they were pre-injury. If they weren't able to come back and play (i.e. Isaiah Thomas), then they saw a significant decline in minutes and production (i.e. everyone else).

And what do you mean get to watch Kobe play? I've already seen him play. It wasn't good. I expect it will be better this season though.

What you saw last year was a stubborn warrior attempting to return while still recovering.

2 months till the season starts, you can stop repeating how you expect to kobe to fail. You and yinoma whatever have stated your feelings on this topic to the point where a member who doesn't even post very often at all, (myself), knows how you feel.

We get it. You think Kobe's done. We will find out soon enough who's right and who's wrong. And you'll be wrong.
NomisR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
I'd let Kobe dictate his last few seasons. If he wants a ring he probably would have a better chance elsewhere and NY would be the likely place. I doubt he would lose his LA fan base if that happened.

If he wants to stay a Laker that would be fine also. I personally would like that but if was in Kobe's shoes NY here I come.

What?? New York? Max Kellerman, is that you?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

As long as Kobe doesn't go the way of Ron Artest, he'll still be named Kobe, I agree with that.

And what do you mean prove himself? The only thing he proved last season was that he is in fact mortal.

All the evidence points to a season of decline for Kobe, not a renaissance season at all. I think if he's putting up 20-22 points per game, that would be a pretty marvelous achievement and that would be the second best season from any achilles tear sufferer in the history of the NBA.

3 minutes into the video.

Kobe Bryant: "I think, you know it's interesting to me, to hear people put the proverbial nail in the coffin. Do you think I'd hang around and average 19 points, 18 points, and stuff like that? .....HELL no!"

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
golaker wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

What you saw last year was a stubborn warrior attempting to return while still recovering.

2 months till the season starts, you can stop repeating how you expect to kobe to fail. You and yinoma whatever have stated your feelings on this topic to the point where a member who doesn't even post very often at all, (myself), knows how you feel.

We get it. You think Kobe's done. We will find out soon enough who's right and who's wrong. And you'll be wrong.

Fail??? What on earth are you talking about? I expect Kobe to succeed, not fail. In fact, I expect Kobe to have the type of season that almost no achilles tear victim has ever had save maybe Dominique Wilkins.

I never said Kobe was done so do not put words in my mouth. I've been on the record for months now and I've been consistent. I expect Kobe to put up around 20-22 PPG and play in the low 30s MPG.

When you're done getting all huffy and puffy, just realize that is ROUGHLY a 25 PPG projection if he were playing his usual minutes.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject:

I think kobe will play past his 2 years tbh. He couldn't sign a longer deal cuz of the over 36 rule or w/e right?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: