The Two Year Plan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
BigEvil wrote:
I think part of the reason Kobe got such a big payday was so that he'd sign on for cheap after the 2 years on a year to year basis. I think the brass was fully expecting, or at least planning to strike out this year. While it may not look like it to most, they have acquired some very useful assets for trades.

So maybe the plan is to have room for 2 max free agents in 2016 (like Durant) while signing Kobe on the cheap to support them. And hopefully you have a developed Randall by then as well. You also have, in between then and now, assets you can trade for people looking to shed salary. All the while, they have a chance to test out all these unproven players to find some cheap diamonds in the rough.

Maybe I'm giving the front office too much credit. But I don't think I'm being outlandish in my thoughts.

Were going to need more than julius randle and 38 year old Kobe to sell to durant. Were going to be competing with a lot of teams for him and many others will have a whole lot more to offer him than just that.

I agree. But I think that 2016 will be a completely different story than this year. This year we had money for one max player with Kobe taking a big chunk of the cap. You had an unproven lotto pick, Nick Young, and not much else. There was little room to improve beyond that.

In 2016 you will have two max slots potentially, and in my scenario Kobe signing for cheap. Now incoming free agents can talk to each other and ponder coming to LA together to play in a big three. And in that situation, the city itself sweetens the deal.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I will never make the mistake again of suggesting or believing Kobe will "play for cheap." For better or worse he will command top dollars or not play. That's just how he's wired.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

http://lakeshowlife.com/2014/07/19/lakers-salary-cap-plans-two-tiered-2015-2016/

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I will never make the mistake again of suggesting or believing Kobe will "play for cheap." For better or worse he will command top dollars or not play. That's just how he's wired.

To this point I agree, but I think by 16' and Kobe looking for "possibly" two more years to chase another ring or two at the age of 38 & 39, and of course to get the all time points total crown I can see him going for 10 million per, but of course I would not hold my breath on that...

With the cap going up by 16'/17' from what I understand my hopes would be bringing in M.Gasol or De. Jordan, Jordan is probably a real long shot, Then in 16' Durant? I think if Randle pans out, and this team can run on all cylinders getting near 50 wins, Kobe still having game by 16', with let's say M.Gasol on the team a guy like Durant could be a possibility? Still would not bet on it.

In 17' Anthony Davis is not restricted, I bet he is top 3 to 4 player in the game, he would be something...

If all the wheels come off as it did last season I do think the lakers could fall to bottom 4/5, and grab a top pick, that along with the Rocket pick 20/25 and Randle with two higher end FA's and a still productive Kobe could be a team to contend in 16'/17'...
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers dont have a plan. When the Lakers are doing what every other team in the NBA could do, clearing cap space, that is not a plan.

As much as I hate what Philly is doing, they have a plan. IMHO, Phoenix has a plan. THe Lakers are operating too lazy to have a plan. A plan requires work. WHere is the work in one year contracts to throw a bunch of money at max players?

I dont see the Laker management changing up until the fans start to question their work ethic. I am not speaking about Mitch Kupchak. I dont have a single bad word to say about Mitch Kupchak. TO be fair, I think Jim Buss has made good decisions that simply havent worked. Both Mitch and Jim have assembled talent, cant argue that.

THe problem is that I dont think our approach is right for being a sorry, no talent team. I dont know that Jim Buss has the knowledge to build a team from zero to great.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:

First off, this is a different league for serious injuries, they didn't have your cells on file when Dominic Wilkins was jumping out of the gym, they have a crusty surgeons skills with a pair of work goggles and a ice bag, now they have terms even Dr. Phil would have to say WHAAAAT?, you think Oscar Robinson would be playing at 41? Kobe will be fine, probably more durable than at 24, why is everyone forgetting the 2015 free agent market, for now were playing with a danger close mentality, if teams just think were gonna fluff a flop defeat, Byron Scott has got something to say about that! Im gonna make a bold prediction,disclaimer {moderators don't delete}, I predict we will get 46 wins this upcoming season, now someone find my Benny the Bookie
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1977 wrote:
I predict we will get 46 wins this upcoming season, now someone find my Benny the Bookie

But will 46 be good enough to make the playoffs in a rugged Western Conference?

When we say "make the playoffs" essentially we are saying, what teams will finish with a better record than the Lakers?

Teams that seem certain to finish with a better record than the Lakers:

OKC
San Antonio
LA Clippers
Golden State
Dallas

Teams that might not be certain, but seem likely to finish with a better record than the Lakers:

Houston
Memphis
Portland

So that is 8 teams and I have not yet mentioned up and coming younger teams like Phoenix and New Orleans.

Seems like a tall order for the Lakers to just make the playoffs. If they do make it, likely it is as a 7 or 8 seed playing OKC or SA in a first round matchup. Hmmm.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

I agree with some of the earlier posts, we are jsut trying to field a competitive team the next 2 years without mortaging the future. While we have flexibility if they can lure a star player while Kobe is here, great. It is a long 2 year goodbye tour, with if we stay very healthy and productive, an outside chance at the playoffs. Otherwise, we do the best with what we ahve, and try to be a 9-12 team in the West.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Dwight + Nash + too much for Pau in exchange for the "future" was Kobe's last Hurrah.

We are now on the Kobe goodbye tour.

MAN!!! That looked so good on paper. So disappointing. Injuries and Howard.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
BigEvil wrote:
I think part of the reason Kobe got such a big payday was so that he'd sign on for cheap after the 2 years on a year to year basis. I think the brass was fully expecting, or at least planning to strike out this year. While it may not look like it to most, they have acquired some very useful assets for trades.

So maybe the plan is to have room for 2 max free agents in 2016 (like Durant) while signing Kobe on the cheap to support them. And hopefully you have a developed Randall by then as well. You also have, in between then and now, assets you can trade for people looking to shed salary. All the while, they have a chance to test out all these unproven players to find some cheap diamonds in the rough.

Maybe I'm giving the front office too much credit. But I don't think I'm being outlandish in my thoughts.

Were going to need more than julius randle and 38 year old Kobe to sell to durant. Were going to be competing with a lot of teams for him and many others will have a whole lot more to offer him than just that.

If the Lakers decide to keep Lin I can see Durant enjoying playing with
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject:

The plan is to continue to sell out games with Kobe on the roster even if they aren't in contention.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah the front office is crazy if they're still counting on him taking a cheap deal. He's going to get paid a ton and he's going to be the #1 for as long as he plays. Taking less money or taking a lesser role is beneath him.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
He's already 36. Twilight is here.

I think Steve-O will prove me right, he may have a renaissance season, if Kobe sees that, he may get the same idea to play a Top-40 tune!

It is all but a foregone conclusion that Kobe will NOT have a renaissance season. At least not renaissance relative to his prime years. Relative to other achilles tear victims at the age of 36? That's likely.

Dude just wait until you get to actually watch kobe play before telling us how he will play next season. Everyone here already knows of your low expectations for him.

fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

The plan is probably to try to swing Jordan Hill's expiring plus draft pick for someone like Brook Lopez (if he's healthy and Nets still start out slow) where the team is way over the luxury cap and needs to dump salary.

And then use the remaining space to sign someone like Klay Thompson to a 15mn max deal.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject:

BigEvil wrote:
EZ-Ryder wrote:
BigEvil wrote:

I agree. But I think that 2016 will be a completely different story than this year. This year we had money for one max player with Kobe taking a big chunk of the cap. You had an unproven lotto pick, Nick Young, and not much else. There was little room to improve beyond that.

In 2016 you will have two max slots potentially, and in my scenario Kobe signing for cheap. Now incoming free agents can talk to each other and ponder coming to LA together to play in a big three. And in that situation, the city itself sweetens the deal.

Maybe you're right but if this offseason has taught me anything it's that cap space and location don't mean as much as a good supporting cast. If we don't sign a mid to top tier free agent next year and randle doesn't develop faster than expected I seriously doubt durant or any other disgruntled star that wants to win considers us. I hope the front office tries to be a little more aggressive next off season and doesn't stick with the same formula of trying to sell a player purely on Los Angeles and playing for the lakers.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

To this point I agree, but I think by 16' and Kobe looking for "possibly" two more years to chase another ring or two at the age of 38 & 39, and of course to get the all time points total crown I can see him going for 10 million per, but of course I would not hold my breath on that...

With the cap going up by 16'/17' from what I understand my hopes would be bringing in M.Gasol or De. Jordan, Jordan is probably a real long shot, Then in 16' Durant? I think if Randle pans out, and this team can run on all cylinders getting near 50 wins, Kobe still having game by 16', with let's say M.Gasol on the team a guy like Durant could be a possibility? Still would not bet on it.

In 17' Anthony Davis is not restricted, I bet he is top 3 to 4 player in the game, he would be something...

If all the wheels come off as it did last season I do think the lakers could fall to bottom 4/5, and grab a top pick, that along with the Rocket pick 20/25 and Randle with two higher end FA's and a still productive Kobe could be a team to contend in 16'/17'...

Anthony davis is only unrestricted if he signs the qualifying offer like Monroe did. No way that happens as New Orleans is pretty much guaranteed to give him the max. He more than likely will not be a free agent until 2020 at the earliest.
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject:

pay Kobe so much money that he won't dare complain, continue to be entertaining anyway and profit. no championships tho for a while , like its the 90s all over again
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Kobe Bryant: "I think, you know it's interesting to me, to hear people put the proverbial nail in the coffin. Do you think I'd hang around and average 19 points, 18 points, and stuff like that? .....HELL no!"

We may see this put to the test. If he comes out diminished, would he really walk the walk and leave the money behind?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Kobe Bryant: "I think, you know it's interesting to me, to hear people put the proverbial nail in the coffin. Do you think I'd hang around and average 19 points, 18 points, and stuff like that? .....HELL no!"

We may see this put to the test. If he comes out diminished, would he really walk the walk and leave the money behind?

Nope. Sadly, lots of great all-time players have a hard time hanging it up, regardless of the $. It's what made them great in their prime; it's what made guys like Willie Mays and others play past their expiration date. Kobe has some miles left in him, but we're going down the hill.

Unlike last year, Kobe isn't talking as much ISH. And that's a good thing. I think he's eager to prove it to himself first and I think/hope he will be able to rough out 60-65 games this year.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

King beef wrote:
The Lakers dont have a plan. When the Lakers are doing what every other team in the NBA could do, clearing cap space, that is not a plan.

As much as I hate what Philly is doing, they have a plan. IMHO, Phoenix has a plan. THe Lakers are operating too lazy to have a plan. A plan requires work. WHere is the work in one year contracts to throw a bunch of money at max players?

I dont see the Laker management changing up until the fans start to question their work ethic. I am not speaking about Mitch Kupchak. I dont have a single bad word to say about Mitch Kupchak. TO be fair, I think Jim Buss has made good decisions that simply havent worked. Both Mitch and Jim have assembled talent, cant argue that.

THe problem is that I dont think our approach is right for being a sorry, no talent team. I dont know that Jim Buss has the knowledge to build a team from zero to great.

A few questions:

Can't every team do what pretty much any team is doing?

Why is clearing cap space, drafting, signing players, and acquiring more picks not a plan?

Why is losing as many games as you can for several years a plan?

Why is tanking a plan while swinging for big moves is lazy?

BTW, if LA was doi g the Philly plan, you'd be calling for Jim's head for tanking...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
King beef wrote:

A few questions:

Can't every team do what pretty much any team is doing?

Why is clearing cap space, drafting, signing players, and acquiring more picks not a plan?

Why is losing as many games as you can for several years a plan?

Why is tanking a plan while swinging for big moves is lazy?

BTW, if LA was doi g the Philly plan, you'd be calling for Jim's head for tanking...

Agreed. I think the "plan" has been fairly clear. Swing for 4-5 carat superstars each summer up until Kevin Durant. If they miss, then I think the team may re-consider, but I think the FO has been fairly clear about their plan as evident by Hill, Lin signings/trade to maintain cap flexibility. Whether that plan will yield fruit is one thing, but we are currently 0/1 on that end, but still have 2 more off seasons to go.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Nope. Sadly, lots of great all-time players have a hard time hanging it up, regardless of the $. It's what made them great in their prime; it's what made guys like Willie Mays and others play past their expiration date. Kobe has some miles left in him, but we're going down the hill.

Unlike last year, Kobe isn't talking as much ISH. And that's a good thing. I think he's eager to prove it to himself first and I think/hope he will be able to rough out 60-65 games this year.

Course not. If that happens, he'll "Nash" it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
I'd let Kobe dictate his last few seasons. If he wants a ring he probably would have a better chance elsewhere and NY would be the likely place. I doubt he would lose his LA fan base if that happened.

If he wants to stay a Laker that would be fine also. I personally would like that but if was in Kobe's shoes NY here I come.

Not really, they couldn't even make the playoffs in the pathetic East.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

And that is the way the NBA is set up, for the stars to be the highest paid players. I am less impressed with Lebron when I realize that he has never been the highest paid player on his team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I am less impressed with Lebron when I realize that he has never been the highest paid player on his team.

Don't know why you are "less impressed" with Lebron because of that. That's simply a function of the CBA limiting how much players in different circumstances can receive. It's just a fun little oddity and doesn't say anything about much teams would have paid him if they could have.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: