Who was the worse coach: Mike Brown or Mike D'Antoni?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Worse coach?
Mike Brown
47%
 47%  [ 75 ]
Mike D'Antoni
52%
 52%  [ 83 ]
Total Votes : 158

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:
Milk Dud took us to the conference semifinals and didn't run Kobe into the ground.

I know we lost to OKC in the second round but don't remember the first round team that we beat. Can't someone refresh my memory? Thanks

Denver. "Closeout games are actually kind of easy".

7 game series. That Gm 7 was the last exciting game we had, that's why it's hard to remember. Too long ago.

Btw, Big Boii Drew with the triple double in Gm 1, 10 blocks!! In Gm 7, 18 rebs! Drew is ready to blow up all over the league!

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
If you can't get your own player to come out of the game, then you're not a very good coach.

Phil?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Phil Jackson would fail with last year's roster.

MDA overachieved with what he had. How a team loses 319 games to injury and isn't the worst team in the NBA should be a shock.

Mike Brown didn't.

Yes. I don't understand how MDA is winning this poll. Brown was the lesser coach.

Posters vote with their emotion, not their brain.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

MDA overachieved with what he had. How a team loses 319 games to injury and isn't the worst team in the NBA should be a shock.

Mike Brown didn't.

Yes. I don't understand how MDA is winning this poll. Brown was the lesser coach.

It's that funny thing where coaches get judged by their record no matter what their roster looked like.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject:

MDA has very little value as a coach, his offensive philosophy teaches players how not to play and he has no defensive philosophy. MDA after many years as a head coach has never been to the finals. Mike Brown at least has been to the finals.

I would not hire either coach, and I would not have hired either to coach the Lakers, huge mistake by Laker management.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
kwase wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:
kwase wrote:
They're both God-awful, but I'm going to have to say MDA because I could never see myself playing for a little whiny wuss that throws his players under the bus when things aren't going well. MDA is the kind of guy you wish someone would punch square in his nose! At least Mike Brown was somewhat likeable!

Remember the "I just wanted to make a sub" quote? Lol

He was likeable but almost like the slow kid that tried his best to fit in with the cool kids. Didn't work but you admire the persistent effort.

Yeah, I almost forgot that he benched Kobe. Wow!! But MDA did tell the fans to "go root for another team". I mean it's one thing to suck...but to suck and then tell the fans to go F themselves is something completely different!

I wish MDA benched Kobe in that GS game.

It's kinda hard to do that when you're riding him like freaking Secretariat.

Kiss my Converse.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:

^that's the question. Did MDA want to keep riding him or was he just too afraid to pull him out and risk Kobe's ire? lol
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
^that's the question. Did MDA want to keep riding him or was he just too afraid to pull him out and risk Kobe's ire? lol

He tried to pull Kobe out, Kobe refused.

In MDA's first game as Laker head coach, first quarter, Kobe picks up two fouls. MDA calls for Kobe to come out and sends Chris Duhon in to replace him. Kobe says no, waves him off and keeps playing. LOL.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

MDA had injuries both seasons as coach. It prevented him from showing the full benefits of his offensive philosophy. But even so, he coached the worst LA Lakers season ever! He also had the worse 1 game loss in Lakers history (in the same season).
Half a century of LA Lakers coaches came before him. They all had to deal with injuries or potential injuries. But MDA has the least to show for it. Gotta go with him being worse than Brown for that reason. Results matter, for better or worse.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

In MDA's first game as Laker head coach, first quarter, Kobe picks up two fouls. MDA calls for Kobe to come out and sends Chris Duhon in to replace him. Kobe says no, waves him off and keeps playing. LOL.

So its the latter. He should've sent someone in to replace Kobe and been insistent, he should've called a timeout, after all, he's the freakin coach. Seems MDA didn't want to get on Kobe's bad side and create a scene.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject:

They are both bad in their own ways. MB was pure incompetence, and Antoni was willfully ignorant. I vote for the latter.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Mike Brown didn't.

D'Antoni was a disaster in Denver, New York and LA. It's not some kind of fluke that he failed here. He even had superstars like Carmelo, Dwight and Kobe and his teams still struggled in the regular season. At least Brown actually made the finals with Cleveland and had a lot of regular season success, and the full season he had in LA wasn't bad at all.

His biggest mistake was trying to go with the Princeton when people didn't have the patience for that.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Mike Brown didn't.

I don't think it's really that shocking with all the tanking that was going on last season. Getting the worst record was a challenge.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

So its the latter. He should've sent someone in to replace Kobe and been insistent, he should've called a timeout, after all, he's the freakin coach. Seems MDA didn't want to get on Kobe's bad side and create a scene.

So you don't think players should do what the coach tells them to do?

And why would he burn a timeout in that situation? There was only a few seconds left in the quarter in that game. Really? You think he should have burned a time out with a few seconds left in the quarter?

Your logic doesn't make sense to me on this one. Your best player picks up his second foul with seconds remaining in the first quarter. What is the right thing to do in this situation in your opinion?

1) Let your best player keep playing with two fouls.
2) Substitute your best player to preserve the 2 fouls and get him some rest
3) Burn a timeout
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject:

God, how bored are we to be arguing about to (bleep) coaches that are no longer coaching the Lakers?

Is it pre-season yet? Bueller? Bueller?

!...
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
focus wrote:
Both hires were terrible decisions, but Mike Brown was worse. MDA got snakebit with injuries and everything rolled downhill. It was amazing how bad it got, but take out several of your big and small players for huge chunks of both years and most of what happened was inevitable. The injury situation got so absurd under MDA, it actually got comical. Brown was so over his head, and he should have been fired after the first year, and FO would not have had time pressure to make a decision to hire like they did when they finally did fire him.
Injuries destroyed MDA's chance to even prove that he was the worse coach really.

Brown had injury issues too. Players were constantly missing preseason games, Nash broke his foot in the second game of the season, Howard had less time for his back to recover when Brown was the coach.

Howard only played 5 games for Brown but Brown had Bynum who had for him a great season the year before. MB did have injuries, a no-training camp shortened season to deal with, so bad luck. Kobe had to sit out at the start, so more bad luck, esp. in short season. MDA just had nothing to work with this last season with no Kobe nor Nash then Blake and Howard gone, and had a tough hand his first season.

Both guys were bad choices, though MDA was a little more understandable at the time. Maybe the Lakers though MB having trained under Pop could have become like him but I saw a guy like I've seen before at school and work...hard working guy, nice guy, but just not qualified for his role. MDA was qualified somewhat for head coach generally, but snakebitten and not sufficiently talented for this specific position.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

As a coach I disagree. Sometimes you have to let your players make that decision. Shaq and Kobe waved Phil off, but I give credit to Phil for accepting how they felt about the situation and allowing them to stay in. Coaches have to realize that the people who are the closest to the situation, the players, know the most about what is going on.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
MDA has very little value as a coach, his offensive philosophy teaches players how not to play and he has no defensive philosophy. MDA after many years as a head coach has never been to the finals. Mike Brown at least has been to the finals.

I would not hire either coach, and I would not have hired either to coach the Lakers, huge mistake by Laker management.

Interesting that so many successful NBA head coaches have taken elements from MDA's evidently poor offensive philosophy and used it in their own offenses. What were they thinking, they should have checked with LG first.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Mike Brown didn't.

D'Antoni was a disaster in Denver, New York and LA. It's not some kind of fluke that he failed here. He even had superstars like Carmelo, Dwight and Kobe and his teams still struggled in the regular season. At least Brown actually made the finals with Cleveland and had a lot of regular season success, and the full season he had in LA wasn't bad at all.

His biggest mistake was trying to go with the Princeton when people didn't have the patience for that.

Again, thinking with emotion, the emotion of winning. Brown won because he had Lebron, period. He had nothing to do with the Cavs winning. No coach in the NBA has tried to emulate what Brown did, because he did nothing exceptional. Not the same with MDA, most NBA coaches have emulated some of the things he introduced, his offensive coaching philosophy is well respected in the league. The exact opposite of Brown, who has done nothing that any other coach has deemed worth repeating.

But if you think the Cavs won because of Brown, then that can be your opinion.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

And why would he burn a timeout in that situation? There was only a few seconds left in the quarter in that game. Really? You think he should have burned a time out with a few seconds left in the quarter?

Your logic doesn't make sense to me on this one. Your best player picks up his second foul with seconds remaining in the first quarter. What is the right thing to do in this situation in your opinion?

3) Burn a timeout

All that is irrelevant. Kobe is already playing hurt on one leg and in pain, Vitti is pleading with you to take him out, no excuses, you call a timeout and get him out of the game. MDA was too prideful and timid to do it. I wish they never hired that guy as coach, he'll always be that insufferable arrogant suns coach to me. He was just pretending to be coach of the Lakers, and poorly pretending at that.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

As a coach I disagree. Sometimes you have to let your players make that decision. Shaq and Kobe waved Phil off, but I give credit to Phil for accepting how they felt about the situation and allowing them to stay in. Coaches have to realize that the people who are the closest to the situation, the players, know the most about what is going on.

In a normal situation, yes, but not when your star player is clearly playing hurt.....and the trainer wants you to do it
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Mike Brown didn't.

Again, thinking with emotion, the emotion of winning. Brown won because he had Lebron, period. He had nothing to do with the Cavs winning. No coach in the NBA has tried to emulate what Brown did, because he did nothing exceptional. Not the same with MDA, most NBA coaches have emulated some of the things he introduced, his offensive coaching philosophy is well respected in the league. The exact opposite of Brown, who has done nothing that any other coach has deemed worth repeating.

But if you think the Cavs won because of Brown, then that can be your opinion.

Phoenix was far more talented than those Cavs teams. And I'm not buying at all that all that success was because of Lebron. Lebron was surrounded by a very unimpressive group and Brown did the one thing he does well. He helped make them an elite defensive team which made it easier for Lebron to carry the team with his offense.

I don't care if teams emulated some of the stuff D'Antoni did. How does that make him look better? That just tells us what we already know: That he is good at coaching offense. Brown emulates some of the stuff that Popovich does. I'm talking about stuff that wins championships. So Brown IMO comes out ahead in this comparison.

I also think D'Antoni is worse as a leader. Brown is a guy that people will ignore, laugh at and not take seriously. D'Antoni is a guy that people would want to punch in the face.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

Ergo, he's a terrible coach.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

3) Burn a timeout

All that is irrelevant. Kobe is already playing hurt on one leg and in pain, Vitti is pleading with you to take him out, no excuses, you call a timeout and get him out of the game. MDA was too prideful and timid to do it. I wish they never hired that guy as coach, he'll always be that insufferable arrogant suns coach to me. He was just pretending to be coach of the Lakers, and poorly pretending at that.

Kobe famously played through pain his whole career. Broken fingers, twisted ankles, and whatever else he had and Phil was still letting him go back of for more.

If D'Antoni rests Kobe that game with like 2 games left in the season and they end up missing the playoffs, who was going to be on D'Antoni's side saying he did the right thing? Two games left in the season and NOW you're resting him? What are you protecting him for? The offseason? Not to mention that Kobe would have surely said he felt good enough to keep playing.
ODotSoHot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

3) Burn a timeout

Kobe famously played through pain his whole career. Broken fingers, twisted ankles, and whatever else he had and Phil was still letting him go back of for more.

If D'Antoni rests Kobe that game with like 2 games left in the season and they end up missing the playoffs, who was going to be on D'Antoni's side saying he did the right thing? Two games left in the season and NOW you're resting him? What are you protecting him for? The offseason? Not to mention that Kobe would have surely said he felt good enough to keep playing.

This ^^^
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: